twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Monday, January 19, 2009

I met a "blogger"...

Everytime I go home, I always tell myself that I would drive while in Nigeria, but the drive from the airport to the house always settles it : I’m too chicken to drive in Lagos.

So on that fateful day when I decided to go out on my own with public transportation little did I know that I had a lot in store for me. I psyched myself up properly for the trip

Its only one bus

You don’t even have to struggle. The buses are parked

You did this before last year! you're almost a pro!

Anyways, so I wore a green washed out jeans, a short sleeved white tshirt, and a blue-green plaid waistcoat. My gladiators and a few accessories later, I was ready to hit the road. The bus ride went well. I have a pretty good memory and so I knew the places we had to pass before I got to my stop. However, I MISSED MY STOP!
I don’t know how, but the next thing I knew, the driver pulled into the garage!

Yeeee! Mo gbe! Oops, OOOUSH!

So I told the driver that I was trying to get down at xxxx bus stop. And he was like ‘we passed there already, e ba ti so (u should have said something). Anyways, he told me to walk out of the garage and take a bike to where I was going.

As I was walking out of the garage, one guy just accosted me

“Aunty, nnkan odun wa da”1

I ignore him and keep walking. Living in a big city (both in lagos and America) means that I’m used to such random people stopping me. So I don’t frown, I don’t appear too friendly and I don’t appear harsh.

“infact, aunty be se dun to yi, mo mo enikan to le fun yin ni nnkan odun” 2

Before I knew it, they were two and then three.

Shit! I’m in trouble!

“ e ma worry, mo wa ok” 3 I say, and attempt to keep it stepping- fast.

Very soon, I’m pretty much surrounded by Sunday, Mufu and Rashidi (yeah, i recognize them from FBA's posts). They had formed a ring around me, and I know its going to be a struggle getting through them. So I stop walking, take on a slightly- note, slightly – irritated pose and say

“e wo, mo ni bi to ye ki n wa, e n da mi duro” 4 I try to sound annoyed instead of scared.

Then Sunday calls my attention to a guy chilling under a tent a few feet from us. I realize that’s Fineboy Agbero! The nerve of the dude! Sending his boys to come and do his sloppy work for him.

Anyways, Sunday now asks for my number. I tell him that I don’t have a phone, which in retrospect I realize was a very unbelievable lie, I mean, its like, you know, as in people carry three phones in naija for chrissakes!

Of course Sunday and co don’t believe me, he insists that I don’t want to give them my number because they are agberos. Mufu asks if they can go buy me a phone right now. I decline.

All this while FBA is chilling in the same spot watching all the proceedings, and I guess in order not to let down their boss, these dudes pressed harder and I was now very annoyed, embarrassed and of course scared! Me, I don’t want trouble o!

Iya sidikat the paraga seller then says something to the effect that I shouldn’t get them mad that if they didn’t like me they wouldn’t have stopped me…or some jazz like that. I didn’t even know that she was right there behind me

See me see trouble o! Now my heart was pounding in my chest, thinking of all the ways I could extricate myself from what was becoming a huge mess.

So I tell Rashidi that I seriously don’t have a phone (I was afraid my phone was going to ring from my bag, and they would break bottle on my head!) and that I really need to be on my way, he should write FBA’s number on a paper, and that I would call him.


They attempted to make me swear on Sango that I would actually call. Finally, FBA steps out from under the shade. He comes to where we were standing and said he was going to follow me to where I was going to take the bike.

Anyways, he sha starts following me trying to make conversation (my heart is pounding and im cursing my friend out in my mind cos I’m scared that he’s going to carry me away). I don’t remember the lies I told, but I remember saying my name is Bisi, I school in UNILAG…

Anyways, we get there and he pays for the bike and I’m off! Since that day, I stuck to my cabs like glue. omo ti o ni 'ya, o n d'egbo eyin.5

Now please help me ask FBA, why he wants to kill me and send my dead body to my mother? I have to look over my back to make sure Rayo is not there before I blow him an e-kiss. There are some parts of blogville that I cant patrol on my own for fear of LG hijacking me.
So why would fineboy agbero now want to expose my face to Sikira, and lately Bolatito so that I wont be free to walk around lagos ehn? What if Sikira had met me there? na to die be dat o!






1. aunty, where is our christmas gift?
2. aunty, you're looking so sweet, i know somebody who can give u something for christmas.
3. don't worry, I'm ok.
4. look, I have somewhere I have to be now, you're keeping me waiting.
5. can somebody volunteer to translate? Allied?

75 comments:

Original Mgbeke said...

First!

O'Dee said...

hahaha!
You did good, u know.
At least u got FBA to pay 4 your okada ride.

Original Mgbeke said...

LOL @ Oushhhh. You don dey watch too much Jenifa abi?
But na wa o...awon agberos shaaaa. No backing down or relenting, so friggin' aggressive. At least he paid for ya okada, so I guess something worked out there. You saved like N30? (I no sabi how much e dey cost for ya end o, leave me jare)

LusciousRon said...

So FBA is everywhere, I better be careful! Thank God he paid for your okada.

miz-cynic said...

FBA ur market dey sell gan ni o....bumight na wa for this ur romance with FBA...SO HE WAS JUST CHILLING LIKE THE "BOZ" in one corner abi.....making u walk on glass so to speak before he appears probably with a dark shades(soonest bonz)o rescue u.

the translation is a kid tht knows he doesnt have any one(mother) is incurring injuries on his back...as in wu will help him tend to it....i did not get A IN yoruba for nothing.

like ur razz agbero boyfrienmd will say paro lo jare....nothing do u...ill dash u an agbero girl friend's name...basira shd be fine since bumight starts with b.lol.

Writefreak said...

hehehe bumight...you have cracked me up this Monday morning!

Thank God fineboy agbero did not succeed on his mission! lol

bArOquE said...

Bisi, you mean the Flyin'Monkey? they didn't ask for your phone na only number, you get luck...@least you for gree buy them small shayo...i hope you took the bike all the way back to Unilag...LMHAO

you're just a clown

Fammy said...

Hahahaha, these dangerous facebook people, better beware! LOL

BTW, you must be very pretty and attractive o, bumight. The lagos agberos couldn't take their off despite how well dressed you are... you fine.

LG said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LG said...

lolllllllllllll but dearie' u fall my hand o' u for just shout L' before u complete the G' i for just land fiam :-

Flourishing Florida said...

lawdhavemercy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i would have peed in my pants!

~Sirius~ said...

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

Mehn, this wouldn't have been funny to me oh! at all, at all.

Anonymous said...

FBA, original agbero...
I liked his courage, though even if you were embarassed at first.
This is FUNNY!

Zayzee said...

lol @ FBA. u handled them well.

Anonymous said...

"omo ti o ni 'ya, o n d'egbo eyin." If you had translated this one, then, i would have....

You mean you didn't see me, i was 'the guiding angel' following you.

ablackjamesbond said...

lol...did u use a helmet during ur okada ride?

Toluwa said...

lol @ blackjamesbond comment. lol @ fba! Agberos scare me too except for FBA!

aloted said...

hehehehe...too mush!

never heard that last proverb before sha...

Joy Akut said...

this chic is hawwwwt! shes got fba paying her fairs....lol

i think i can get hints of a jenifa fan in this post...ousssssh! lol

i got caught up in the north, lots of fun. you were gone by the time i got to lagos:(
maybe next time.

Rebirth said...

hehehe......... bumight!!!!!!!!
fine girl looking sexy! at least FBA paid for ur okada........lmao..... now he knows ur not Bisi from ur post so d next time ur in Nig, dont go near his garage o cuz who knows how he gets when angry..........LOL

Geebee said...

Lagos and its wahala! Somehow, I don’t think I can live anywhere else. It has to be Lagos or Lagos. The craze and razz mataaz just kind of spurs me on. All the same, the ‘agbero’ accosting thing might not be the best of experiences especially for a cute girl. How u dey?

bumight said...

@Oluwadee: abi nau, something had to come out of it, shey?

@Original mgbeke: after all the hypertension they put me thru? aggressive is an understatement!

@LusciousRon; yes o! the dude is EVERYWHERE!

@miz-cynic: lol, this romance is seriously getting k-leg! what if sikira was there?
i know that's the literal translation of the proverb, but how do u put it in a succint form? i give you a low A.

basira ke? u can do better than that!

@writefreak: at least someone is laughing :)

@baroque: yes o, the flying monkey himself! ask for my phone ke? i say one of them said they should go and buy me a phone! maybe i should have waited to collect the phone, lol.
when u are under such pressure, the lies better start flowing. yes, im a unilag student, so what? LOL

@fanny; i guess the problem was because of how dressed i was.
i wasnt decked up or anything, but in retrospect, i realize that my get up was quite colorful.

@LG: lol, next time my dear, next time!

@FFF: peed ke? u have to play it cool, even though I was shaking inside!

@Sirius: at said time, it wasnt funny at all o!

@severus snape: his courage? u mean his guts? if we werent in his base, i wouldve shown him!...yeah right!

@uzezi: why, thanks! *head swelling*

@rethots: i know the literal translation, but i didnt know how to put it together.
something lyk, "if u dont have insurance, dont get into an accident?"
if u were my guiding angel, then u must have slacked off somewhere to drink paraga or something cos u were so not doing ur work!

@ablackjamesbond: lol, this was in december! so nope!

@Just...Toluwa: the FBA in the story was actually not as scary looking as his guys. i guess he was trying to make a good impression, lawl!

@aloted; u havent? where have u been? oya, go and do ur research and come back!

@fantasy queen: lol, yeah, there are hints, a couple of them :)
since i made this trip and u were the one not around, next time will have to be at my place! so u better start making plans!

@funms: lol, next time, i would finally have perfected my nigerian version of my driving skills, so i wont be going near his garage!

@Geebee:yeah, lagos is cool, but that is definitely not the best of experiences. in retrospect, it was quite funny, but while it was happening? no thanks!

Tigeress said...

lol! That is so funny. I can also see that you too- u're a Jenifa fan. :):)

My dear stick to cabs o! Me i wld have literally pissed in my knickers. Me- that it's been almost 14years that i've left- it'll be so obvious that i'm a JJC.

The Activist said...

How did you know he's FineBoy Agbero and how did he know it's you? Am I missing something?

Ms.O said...

lol! Yelz,is like, you know, I am feeling this post! FBA be careful oo...Bumight next time..just call LG..:)

Anonymous said...

I would have freaked right out! Imagine me opening my mouth and betraying the fact that I am a stranger immediately.

I'm glad it all worked out o!

Anya Posh said...

OMO beauty...so it's you that FBA fell in love with that he has refused to come & blog abi? Abeg...pass his numba my side so I can give him a real e-ass-whooping for being a blog slob! But seriously, I admire you act of indifference when accosted by the agberos...

flabby said...

ewo!! this is why i need to learn Yoruba o!

Afrobabe said...

lmao...at least he was gentleman enough to pay the fare....

mizchif said...

hAs in is like i millzz Lagos mehn, even d driving, as scary as it is sometimes. Please babe, next time, get urself a driver, those agberos in Lagos know the smell of Yankee or Jand oh, don't say i didn't tell u.

Good thing u were able to drop 1 or 2 lines in yoruba, inspite of ur scared state.

Anonymous said...

Lol! Unfortunately I don't know what an agbero is but the story was funny. Glad you got through it all safely though, I get scared when strange men look at me, let aloe talk to me. Not sure about how they knew who you are so Imma do some blog research, lol. But first, a nap, I'm tired Lol

Take Care,
Therapy xx

PS EEww yeah did you need a helmet? Didn't see if you responded that already Lol xx

Anonymous said...

Hehehehehe. Ok Bumight pele o. Bad girl like you ehn? Did the FBA actually pay for your okada fare and yeah did you have to wear one of those helmet and is your hair falling out yet?

Nefertiti said...

LMAO... u crazy chica. Glad u made it out alive!

What the heck was that proverb in Yoruba?! Christ!

FineBoy Agbero said...

Kai!!!!! So Bumight na you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sangoooooooooo!!! I did not know it was you I saw dat day o. You were lookin' too ffffiiiinnnnneeee!!!

But, this is not fair o!!! U did not narrate the whole story o!!

What about the part where u no call me again after i write number for paper?

Abi, shey i no fine enough?? But seriously, dis is not fair! Is an agbero not a human being? Why people dey discriminate against us?


And people, I did meet Bumight at d garage; she's tres cool!!!

miz-cynic said...

in your case...it means tht u dont know anyone in lagos...as in u be ajebota(diaspora chic) so u no suppose dey look for trouble...cos u have no one to come to ur rescue.

Anonymous said...

you forgot to mention that FBA is SHORT!!!

LOL!!!

buahahahaa...but wait o ur kidding ryt?

miz-cynic said...

agbero....ok u guys...whc part is fiction whc part is real....is this becoming....chari and buttercups kinda thn?

Vera Ezimora said...

Dang! Bumight that is supa mad ooo! What a small world we live in. Thank God he was nice 2 u. At least, now we fit trust am for blogger. But why you no introduce yourself na? Abi fear dey catch you? LOL

Nigerian Drama Queen said...

Gosh I'm quite slow
I had to read the other comments to realize you actually did meat FBA...or sorta meet him anyways...

SHE said...

Pardon me, but what manner of discrimination is this? I think the UN (office of the high commissioner of Human rights) needs to be alerted. What's wrong with the guy wanting to socialize a bit?
why didnt you leave your number?

bArOquE said...

@Bumight & FynboyAgbero, 2 of una, i no know which person head no correct pass!

FineBoy Agbero said...

SHE: thank u jare!!! help me tell am o!

baroque: our head correct well-well o! No be joke! i swear!

bumight said...

@Tigress: 14 years? yeah, it would have been mad obvious. i still went home a year earlier.

@standtall: how did I know?
telepathy baby! it was the aura...we didnt need no words...we just... lol!

@Ms O: yelz, i'll make sure to call her!

@GNG: i was freaking out inside when they didnt let me go after 55 secs!

@Anyaposh: you're just knowing. this love has been around for a while, but all these husband snatchers are not letting me enjoy my boo...my dear, it wasnt indifference o, anything but indifference!

@flabby: yes dear, get on it o! you never know when u might need it.

@Afrobabe: gentleman ke? schew!

@mizchif: i dont milz driving in lagos at all! next time i go home, i'd have become a bigs gehl so i might just bone popsie and pay for my own driver for 2 weeks!

@Therapy: u dont know what an agbero is? i take it u havent checked out my boo's blog? oya, sharp sharp, go and check it out!

nope, no calabash needed, it was in dec!

@Temite aka husband snatcher: as much as i'll hate to disappoint u, i didnt wear any helmet, so my hair isnt falling out. sorry love! lol, but seriously, he did pay for the bike.

@Nefertiti: i think somebody already translated it.
it basically means, if u dont have the antidote, dont drink the poison..

bumight said...

@FBA: u didnt know it was me? so dat's how u toast every babe that passes through ur park abi? that's why i didnt call you, lol
no galala for you for 3 months!

why do pple discriminate against u? jamb question!

@miz-cynic: im sure you can decode what part is fiction and what part is real :)

@chari: how you go dey out my boo for public like that? chari i dont likes it o!

u think im kidding?

@vera: trust him for blogger? i wont be so sure.
i felt like i didnt need to introduce myself. there was telepathy going on, he should have gotten it! LOL

@NDQ: my lips are sealed :)

@SHE: leave my number ke? so if it was u, u would've left urs? i no get liver reach that level!

@baroque: haba! what did we do to u? you are just jealousing our love!

@FBA: tell him o!

badderchic said...

Veery Funny. Nice one tho.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, sorry thought I left a comment here before but maybe not...so here goes


I want to ask you what are you afraid of....you met this blogger and if it feels right then go for it. I think its ok to met blogger and have a relationship. Ive developed a friendship with people here....and it seems cool. I mean whats the most that could happen...take care sweets!

Laughter said...

You are a chick and i bow for u say u no fear self not to talk of wetting your knickers. At least he paid for the okada fare, next time girl take a taxi so that he can use the nkan odun money on u.

Miss Definitely Maybe said...

lol
thats why i would rather saty in the house than take public transport
am soooo frightened of crowds
i would have fainted

Anonymous said...

Lol ok FBA is now on my blog list, he is the boo you speak of right?!?! Lol I can be quite slow at time so sorry in advance if I'm wrong!

Lady said...

what da HECCCCCCCCCCK!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW RANDOM WAS THAT?????????????? WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO FBA IS REALLY AN agbero??? I'LL STILL TAKE HIM THO......SEND HE'S NUMBER! *wink*
p.s: xoxoxoo

Jaja said...

Great stuff. Journey well!

doug said...

lol...bunmight and agbero...has a nice ring to it.

Buttercup said...

Lmao! That was really good... U might as well change ur name to finegirl agbero..

Jinta said...

that was a 'welcome to lagos'

ibiluv said...

lol

at least you got free okada ride

Yewande Atanda said...

no comment.

no, no, no...

comment deleted by writer.

Hapi Nu year there!

Elle Woods said...

lol..at first i was like..is this true?all the way from blogville this agbero guy is terrorizing ppl.
lmao.

bumight said...

@badder: im glad it made u laugh :)

@oyin: fba is already my blog boo!...i think you should read the title of the post again :)

@laughter: if i hadnt talked, there wouldnt be this interesting post for u to read, shey? the things i do for u people sef.

@miss definitely maybe: be adventurous my dear! take life by the horns ok i know im yarning dust

@therapy: yes o! he"s the boo>

@lady koko: send his number? so u can become his fourth wife? lailai!

@jaja: thanks dear

@hot doug: its bumight my dear. u think?

@buttercup: and thats not a bad suggestion o!

@jinta: definitely welcome to lagos. it happened like 2 days after i got home too.

@ibiluv: abi o, behind every dark cloud there's a silver lining shey?

@yewande atanda: no comment? ki lo de?

@elle woods: yes o. all the way from blogville! ow r u dear?

exschoolnerd said...

yes o i agree with burracup...fine girl agbero..e go fit u well well..

this was nice!

Bondgirl said...

Bumtight your game is slipping dear, temite is screaming first everywhere I look! How are you? You see if people cornered me like that I swear the little can of deo I carry in my purse would become my new best friend...spray into the eyes and ask questions later...LOL

Smaragd said...

ROTFLMAO! hilariousity.

guerreiranigeriana said...

...i'm with smaragd...hilarious...too funny...thanks for the translations too...for a minute i was completely lost...are you still in naija?...

Lati said...

loooool....

1stly, "big city (both in lagos and America)", lool, I love the way u called America a city...it's worst than calling Africa a country!! lool

2ndly, FBA is bad 4 u...stay away...polygamy is not d right route...hmmm! Bolatito's aunty know Babalawo oh!!

At least u made it to your destination safely! :D

m1ke said...

Lol! LAgos has its own "agberoish" ritual which performed excellently well!Nice one

Ms. Catwalq said...

Dang, I could have sworn that I left a message...
update joo.
BTW, i cannot believe you were married and i did not know...i don vex finish

Olufunke said...

interesting, agbero pay your fare!
thank God it all went well!

LovePaprika said...

wow!!! as in you know! its like i totally cannot belives this mehn!!!

princesa said...

LOL!!!
Nice one babes.

bumight said...

@exschoolnerd: u too? i dont know about that name o! see, this is actually a continuation of ur XSN and chari show!

@bondgirl: dont mind that temite girl, im just letting her go wild for now. spray into their eyes ke? im nt sure i'd have left there alive if i did that!

@smaragd: :)

@gnaija: nah, i got back like almost 3 weeks ago. hope u had fun on ur trip?

@latifa: i only wrote America, cos i didnt want to put the name of my city for anonymity's sake.

@mike: u can tell me that again! thanks for stoppin by. dont be a stranger!

@Ms catwalq: i thot u knew, everybody knows! no vex :)

@olufunke: abi nau, i can add it to one of my life's experiences!

@miss love: yels ke, u better believe!

@princesa: thanks :)

Thirty + said...

As in, it's like I am totally lost.
Yelz I confess, I don loss

Bumight is married - True Story?

Bumight met FBA - Fiction?

Please free me, fill me in

Thirty + said...

Mo ti Donjazzy the number 2 question. But question no 1 is still outstanding.

bumight said...

@30+: where did the first question come from? im reading the post and re-reading it, where did i imply that i was/was not married?

Thirty + said...

Instead of answering question, omo Nigeria fun ra e. Anyway got it from Catwalq's comment.

Which reminds me I have not visited Cat's side in a while, cheerio.....

Unknown said...

LOL...You are lucky that they were only asking 4 ur phone number..
D guy must have like u oh.. He for buy Handset 4 u now..

When next are u seeing d guy? Abi no part 2?

Thx for stopping by at my cafe..See much of u around.Tell FBA say I wan marry am 4 me.

Sikirat said...

hmmm Bumight...Hello Iyale so fine paid ur okada bill abi...(drags fine's trouser)..iwo man yin onirase ni e...so u don dey shadow Bumight again?!!

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com