twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Thursday, April 9, 2009

At the Gym

The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
The French eat a lot of fat and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
The Japanese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
The Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.



First off, I will be quick to point out that Bumight is no gym buff. My gym experience has been limited to mandatory gym classes that I had to take in college and a couple of epileptic stints here and there. Nowadays, anything soulja boy cannot fix infront of my mirrors is too much for me. Personally as long as my midriff is presentable and I don’t pass my magic 3 digit number, I’m fine.

Anyways, since it seemed like everyone around me just discovered the gym, I decided I needed a little bit of toning myself. I decided to go for one of their cycling classes, thinking to myself “shebi its to ride stationary bike na? no biggie”

I got on feeling all motivated and cool and started pedaling.

“Turn it up one notch” the instructor’s voice rung out. No biggie. I complied

Then 15 minutes into the class, I started feeling tired. I literarily felt like all the energy had been sapped from me and I was going to pass out any minute.

Who sent you? You’re one of the smallest people in this class!


I refused to heed the voice in my head, and continued pedaling. 15 minutes into it, I couldn’t take it anymore, so I faked a call I had to answer and promptly escaped. The plan was to catch my breath for a few minutes and return to the torture – oops! I meant exercise. A couple of minutes later (I actually received a call o) I was back in the class.
I tried to adjust my pedaling to sync with the song that was coming out through the speakers: “I can feel it coming in the air tonight”

I definitely feel this ish, my thighs are aching!

Then soulja boy’s - God bless him- voice filled the room : “…She got a dunk”

gurl, you’re not going to have a dunk anymore!


But I persisted. Even the instructor seemed to be in on the conspiracy. She kept saying “turn it up two notches” after the third time, I didn’t answer her again! I even started turning it down.
Somehow, I made it to the end of the class. The class appriopriately ended to the not-so-sexy voice of usher asking us “do I remind you of the pain…”

Yeah buddy, I’m currently feeling the pain as you sing!

Forget all that BS they tell you about exercise giving you more energy, cos right now (7 hours after) I still feel drained, and my whole body hurts! is Scribbles still handing out those free massages?
So am I going back? You bet I am! This time I think I’m going to try the pilates class. I hear it works wonders for flexibility of....anyways, NDQ can you confirm? lol


CONCLUSION:
Eat and drink what you like.
Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

62 comments:

Giagerry said...

firstttttttttttt!

Giagerry said...

really o....
so im really first eh?
on bumights blog..omg
im first oooo...
whoop!

Repressed One said...

LOL@ "Speaking English is apparently what kills you."

I hear those cycling classes are torture but good...haven't tried one yet. G'luck with the pilates...

Spesh said...

Eeyyaa,hope you aint feeling the pain anymore?
But,it sure means your losing some pounds.

Rita said...

Sorry Bumight...but i think the pain comes when you havent done it for long. Once you get used to it...you will be turning it up 3 notches.

Where did Speaking English is apparently what kills you come from? Pls tell me!

jhazmyn said...

LOL @ "Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you"...i'd wait for you to prove it before i try it though.

If you really want to continue with cycling though, just keep working at it and increase ur pace/duration with each session, trust me, wit time it'll be like taking a walk in the park..Kudos and sorry for the pain...no pain no gain right?

jhazmyn said...

@ Gee..u stalker (sticks out tongue) u claimed the first finish and did not even comment ehh?
Is that not a crime in some way? lol

Dante said...

speaking English kills? why is bloggsville still filled up with people like cerebus, word merchant, Db, wey dey blow grammar like tomorrow no dey. lol
Bumight, you have come again..You berra find something else...lol

those cycling exercises eh? Kai! E no easy at all..
abeg which position I take?

~Sirius~ said...

LOL!
LMAO!
Who sent you?

LOL!...I'm sorry but I can picture this quite clearly.
Because I tried to go back to exercising and I got the shock of my life- a one time gym guru couldn't survive a 30min class.......I quit!
LOL!

I'm picking up skipping with my ipod..hoping i build my stamina, before I head back to the gym.

PS: There's soooo much space between your title and the post itself.

Giagerry said...

lol at jhazmyn..hu told u im not going to comment ehn?
lol...im still readin it!

bArOquE said...

i too am in need of a massage, pain in my lower back...so you didnt have the wind in you hair & you rode yourself to half dead. LOL. anyway, keep at it, before long you get used to the whole wellness thing

PS: get a 6pack while you're at it

cerberus said...

Lol @ english is what kills you. Hit the gym again today if you can and stretch your muscles you should have done a work down.

Jayla. said...

pilates, yoga & swimming are good without so much torture. The only time i go to the gym is if i am really frustrated & stressed out, i go to carry huge weights.

Else, i drink & eat as i wish.

Shubby Doo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shubby Doo said...

u will love pilates...i loved it so much that i bought a pilates machine. it does wonders...makes u leaner...corrects your posture...makes u more flexible ;-)...i would recommend it to all

p.s
u still need a cardio workout to keep the pounds off so pilates should be part of a programme

scribble,me.free said...

lmao @ "Speaking English is apparently what kills you"

currently free till after the easter holidays...it's a Lent Special u see

QMoney said...

dis ur stats odikwa risky oh.
dont worry,once u get used to the exercise,u will stop been tired easily.
LOL @ speaking english is what kills u

jhazmyn said...

Gee!Gee!Gee!...How many times did i call you? 15 comments and you still havent commented..ur still reading abi? ok o, i'm waiting

jhazmyn said...

sorry, make that 17comments

BSNC said...

eya kpele. am sure its because you have not exercised for a while, but really who send you message. okay am not helping. take it easy

LusciousRon said...

I like the conclusion. Pele o. Its like BSNC said its cos you haven't exercised in a while. Just take it easy.

I wish I could do some exercises. I am so lazy.

Blogoratti said...

Keep working out,you'd get used to it in no time- don't overwork yourself though..all the best!

Roc said...

"Eat and drink what you like!"

I agree.. totally.. as long as you eat and drink with moderation..

Anything that makes you sweat helps burn calories, right?

Doesn't have to restricted to gym classes, right? Right?!

*Proceeds to think naughty thoughts..*

mizchif said...

Hey!!! Seems like I inspired someone to go back to the gym!!!

Of course it will hurt like hell the first few days. I remember thinking dat cycle was a piece of cake until i tried it and couldn't walk 4 d next few days.

But ur size 0 ass don't need no gym. Plix stick to ur soulja boy in front of the mirror moves and don't b appearing @ d gym to remind some of us how slim we are NOT!

Toluwa said...

yes o!

i eat and drink wat i like...and then off to the gym to work it off!

mehn, looking good is painful! kai!

NoLimit said...

lol @ your conclusion...absolutely hilarious!!!
I should stick with my mother tongue!

Fluffycutething said...

LMAO it is eating and drinking what we like that causes us those torture sessions!!!!!!

You have been forewarned LOL

Writefreak said...

hehehehe...miss bumight at the gym! be ready to feel more tiredness o but once you get used to it, it's actually fun (at least that's how i felt when i used to go to the gym)

cycling can be really painful and those instructors act like they're sent from hell! lol

poeticallytinted said...

Keep at it and the pain will go away, that's when you'll feel the energy. You may not see it now but there'll actually be a bounce to your steps 2weeks from now. And why oh why did you start with cycling? Those stationery bikes are the devil's little machines. lol.

LovePaprika said...

*sighs* the gym!!!!!! Lord knows I dont like it one bit!!! lol

Afrobabe said...

lmao....so it's speaking english that kills huh, that is why we need to dilute it with pidgin..

Mehn those gym instructors are a pain...

*BolanleAP* said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....reminds me of my first gyming experience were i was just running and almost stumbled when i got off!

I like your determination, maybe you can inspire me to finally use my gym membership

Beyond said...

haha!...bumight in the gym.....dear you will be fine...

I eat n drink what i like but then i have to top with a gym session....guess, eating n drinking what we like they make us go gym....or maybe nah speaking english be the real wah!

Anonymous said...

CONCLUSION:
Eat and drink what you like.
Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

I COMPLETELY AGREE OOOO

But SPINNING is the BEST
The best.
I LOVE IT
I could do it everyday.

bumight said...

Gee
yes my dear, you're really first! LOL

repressed one
torture is exactly the right word. lets see if pilates is any better.

my world
yes o? im still feeling the pains. hopefully the more often i go, the less the pain'll be.

Rita
the beginning is written in red at the top of the post. the conclusion is at the bottom. got it?

Jhazmyn
the proof is at the top of the post in red! i plan on continuing the class, so we'll see.

Dante
yes o. u should try cycling sometime! and yes, if u speak english you die of heart problems, lol!

Sirius
lol, this class was a 45 mins class, and i was almost dying after 15 mins! hopefully my body gets used to it pretty soon.

Baroque
you in need of a massage too? im sure you dont want scribbles massaging u, so can i sign up? lol
a six pack is part of the plan too!

Cerberus
english gives you heart problems, lol. i plan on going for another hour today so we'll see how it goes.

Jayla
swimming is cool, but i only swim out of the deep end of the pool. i dont do the lifting weiights thing yet.

Shubby Doo
I've never tried pilates before, bt u make it sound like fun! I'm not really trying to lose weight as such but I'll still add the cardio as long as the weight doesnt come off my butt, lol.

Scribbles
yay! lent special? you're far too kind, lol. so when do we start?...lol

Qmoney
lol, i hope so!

Buttercup said...

lmaoooo @ the conclusion..

Femi B said...

First of all I wonder why people have the misconception that going to the gym primarily is for loosing weight.When the fact is that gyms are mostly filled with skinny and buff people. Anyway the pain would ease up sha and pilates is wonderful. i've been going for classes for 2 years now once a week and even though i can't fully put my knees around my ears for that amazing position...LMAO it still makes you wonderfully flexible and if your instructor is like mines she'll be teaching you some pelvic area/vagina moves during a certain holiday celebrated by loved ones..lol

bumight said...

jhazmyn
lol, maybe she's a sloooooow reader!

BSNC
lol, who sent me? all those people sporting toned abs, thats who sent me! im sure its cos i havent excercised....thats if stanky leg doesnt qualify as excercise!

LusciousRon
oya get up lazy bumbum! laziness was my excuse for quite sometime, and even now, i need someone to go with me! WE CAN DO IT!

blogoratti
thanks dude! i sure will!!

Roc
those naughty thoughts u're thinking...I heard they help you lose 200 calories, I heard ni o! LOL

mizchif
yes o, you're part of my bumspiration! lol

how many times do i have to tell u this babe that im not a size 0? maybe i need to show u pictures sef. lol

Just...Toluwa
but as long as u're still speaking english....lol
tell me about it! those people sporting sexy abs dont tell u about the painful side!

NoLimit
lol, obviously. the statistics speak for themselves!

fluffycutethings
and im fore-arming myself, LOL

writefreak
you get it! and the instructor wasnt cycling with us o, she was just walking around shouting "turn it up 2 notches, 2 more"!

ChiefO said...

would you like to do a gene swap. skinny genes for otherwise? that way all this gym wahala no go mean shishi.

Tears said...

I think once you get used to it, you feel any pain! Plus having an energy drink, would help :D

Original Mgbeke said...

I gym pretty often but I just decided to try out those cycling machines, thinking it was easy steez. I don't know who sent me to do high resistance too but let's just say I was practically limping around the next day.

Oh and I've accepted the fact that working out has made me lose the lirru donk that i managed to acquire. :-(

Confessions of a London gal said...

LMAO @ "Speaking english killing"- I am gonna stick to yoruba now!

Me, i cant gym to save my life o! I had the gym taking money out of my bank account for 6 months and I only went ONCE- and that was for the induction!!!

Needless to say, if I need to get slim, I go on me chocolate diet- works everytime!

SouLBoutiQue said...

LMAO! Dang this was funny. I am not in shape anymore, but i often long to be again, i don't feel as healthy anymore. but small things like parking far from the store and walking, and eating a salad instead of fries often help. (i can't do diet anything sha i believe if i am gonna indulge that is what i am gonna do).

SouLBoutiQue said...

ps. swimming is great! You don't feel it until after you exit the pool! but my hair always persuades me...sigh being a black woman aint easy.

bArOquE said...

Scribbles ke? make una see trouble oh, i dont like being poked, i'd rather poke, thank you...LOL
*smiling & praying Scribbles doesnt read this*

bob-ij said...

HAHAHAHAHA! I'm dead meat! Bumight has killed me! ...lol...poor you! At least you last 15minutes. I walk up the stairs and I feel like all the air has been sucked out of my body...lol.. I'm just unfit and you seen how Un-fat I am?? I need help.

As for the pilates, they do work o! they stretch your body and make you slimmer and more flexible. Don't ask how I know because I cannot conquer those starting days of pain. Good luck tho!

x!

bumight said...

poeticallytinted
keeping my fingers crossed. the devil's little machines is an understatement! there should be a warning on those things!

MissLove
lol, i can tell :)

Afrobabe
yes o, dilution is necessary. u need to have seen this gym instructor, not doing anything but shouting all the orders.

Abeni
allow me to LMAO at you! lol.

Beyond
speaking english is the real wah o!

Temite
u think spinning is the best? well, i'll have to try the other classes to make an informed judgement...or maybe u just have a pain fetish? weirdo!

burralove
u agree too, shey?

Femi B
looking forward to learning the moves for vagina appreciation day! LOL

ChiefO
gene swap? i take it you're skinny?
how skinny are we talking cos i have a feeling u're no smaller than i am :)

Tears
i guess so!

Original Mgbeke
lol, my dunk area was aching the whole of the next day! pele. maybe u should try squats to build it up, lol!

confessions
chocolate diet ke? confessions u've come again o! oya come and explain how that works asap...before afrobabe hears u! lol

SoulBoutiQue
since i now drive to school, i make sure to park right infront of my building, lol. the gym has a pool too, but as per black girl concern, i dont want to spoil my hair. we have wahala sha!

baroque
lol...i figured u didnt want scribbles doing you (no pun intended) thats why i offered na, LMAO!

bob-ij
ok girl! u are waaaaaaaaay out of shape. i dont think im bigger than u are, at least not by that much, but i so want to be in shape and toned. so how do u know about the pilates then? lol

Anonymous said...

LOL, speaking English is what kills you! Genius!

Good Naija Girl said...

Nice work switching to pilates: maybe you don't anything quite as strenuous as spinning classes (sounds like that's what it was sha) to keep yourself toned. Pilates is supposed to work wonders for the bod!

heh at the joke. We won't talk about the supersizing and sedentary lifestyles of Americans compared to their Japanese, French and (presumably) Italian counterparts!

kay-shawn said...

I found your conclusion very interesting. I used to tell my English teacher that.

Lolia said...

Omg but after I saw the end of this post I nearly fell out of my bed...You're not even serious! Ahahahahaha!

Funny thing though, I'm fit as a fiddle, apparently I power walk every where {or so say the people I walk with}, good heart rate and such and I'm still probably bigger than you and definitely bigger than bob-ij {smallie that she is ^_^} so the moral of my comment is...that I don't even know what works and for who anymore!

Have a great weekend x

Thirty + said...

And your conclusion is just hilarious.....:)

Nigerian Drama Queen said...

Yup yup Pilates is the ish! You get longer, leaner muscles so u look toned and slimmer, it's fun, and yes it's flexibility enhancing benefits are the reason it's the married women's fav class *wink wink

The Activist said...

Give the gym thing more time, it will do wonder to your figure and health

Geebee said...

Hmmmm so na 'gym' be the next solution, shey? Good thinking. i tried lifting weights and dumbbells for like one month and when the muscles didn't come, i quit angrily. lol @ the British thing. Yes indeed, speaking english kills. I've missed your blog like bugger

Vera Ezimora said...

Flexibility of what???? LOL

Girl, that's how I felt when I attended a step & sculpt class. My body pained me for the next 6 months. lol

joicee said...

Speaking English could be dangerous , you may be unto something here.

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

lol!!!

I went to spin class with a friend once, and that was the last time. lol!

miz-cynic said...

Werin dey?exercise no b beans o.wen u start out its always like u been beaten at ur joints with heavy stiks

doll (retired blogger) said...

ur body will get used to it...pele. Dr

ibiluv said...

i dare say what part becomes flexible??????????

you go girl.......

Miss Definitely Maybe said...

LMAO !!!!!! girl it aint easy being a skinny b*tch no pain no gain. But i know what you mean, I drag my ass to the gym kicking and screaming

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com