This is turning into a series of some sort. you can read part 1, part 2, and part 3 by clicking on the links. All posts are not related though. This particular post is inspired by don Bagucci's last post.
One of the hardest things for me when anatomy started was learning the names of everything. I had a math based background in undergraduate, so I wasn’t used to memorizing stuff. I just learnt the formula and derived or calculated from there, oh the bliss!
Back to anatomy, all of a sudden I had to learn the names of hundreds of muscles, the arteries, veins, a couple hundred nerves. I mean, why would your small hand have over 50 muscles, with various nerves innervating it?
I remember that I couldn’t for the life of me get over the muscles of the back “Spinalis”….”Splenius”…they both sounded alike, and I couldn’t get them straight.
Then I started Pathology, and realized that anatomy was just child play. From the hundreds to thousands of names of diseases that come with each organ system, it was just crazy. Didn’t know my brain had this much capacity.
Then you wonder what men like Paget and Rokitansky did with their lives – if they had any. There’s Paget’s disease of the bone, Paget’s disease of the breast and they are not even related. The Rokitansky dude is even more annoying:
Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser syndrome,
Rokitansky nodules,
Rokitansky-Aschoff sinus,
and even a Rokitansky disease!…
I mean, must everything be named after you even if you discovered it? Did he even think about people like us that have to learn everything and keep each one separate? Greedy show-off!
Anyways, I realized that “Spinalis” for instance can be a great name for the first born child – as in, the spine of the family.
Don’t “Mitral” and “Tricuspid” make for great twin names?
Or maybe I can be more subtle with “Nephrotic” and “Nephritic”?- only if they are identical twins.
“Macule! Macule!! Will you stop hitting your brother Papule?”
And If I happen to have octuplets like the octomom, The 12 cranial nerves are fantastic names. I’m just sorry for “olfactory” and Oculomotor. Vagus, Trigeminal, and Abducens will be the luckier ones. The unluckiest one will be “Spinal Accesory”. On the bright side, we’ll call him SA or SAN for short, so his friends will be none the wiser.
The possibilites are endless! what do u think?.....*thinking* maybe we should rename Kolawole?
Glossary
Spinalis - one of the muscles that sits on the spinal cord.
Macule- Flat discoloration on scin which is <1cm
Papule- Elevated skin lesion which is < 1cm
Nephritic syndrome &Nephrotic syndrome- both kidney diseases.
the 12 cranial nerves- Olfactory, optic, oculomotor, Trochlear, Trigeminal, Abducens, Facial, Auditory, Glossopharyngeal, Vagus, Spinal Accesory, Hypoglossal

53 comments:
FIRSTTTTTTTT
I can't imagine having to learn all those diseases and muscles and veins and what not. I'm in common bio 101 right now and it works my last nerve having to learn that ish! Spinalis? Kolawole? Eh eh please find some more names abeg!
Damn, NDQ beat me to it!
Ok I just got mad dizzy reading your entry. Rotha gini? Spinalis whaa? You med students really try o, for real.
Lol!!!
The one that does me head are the ones i cannot spell or even pronounce for that matter!!
Take solace in the fact that it won't really matter later on that there are 50 muscles in the hand... unless you wanna do hand surgery
never heard of Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser and i don't even wanna no to be honest!
NDQ
wow, i havent even put up the poll! i couldnt imagine it myself, but u dont know what ur brain is capable of IF u have no choice but to do it.
make sure u come back and take the poll!
Original Mgbeke
dizzy? u wanna try again...slowly?
scarlet
babe, a lot of things i cant pronounce or spell, thank God i dont have to- so long as i know what it is. lol
Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser synd is a dz where the female child doesnt have an uterus and part of the vagina, so the child doesnt menstruate.
There is a guy out there who is rawwwwring right now at the way you throw out medical terms so effortlessly.
I'll help you beat the masses off with a stick if you'd like!
PS - Nephrotic and Nephritic for identical twins — love it!
Im sorry...I'm still in my first year, I dont understand a thing you just said about anatomy..:-(
But Im taking it!!..:-)
I've tottaly hated Achimedes...the guy must have been stoned to death, shei he's the father of physics?
You see, if not for all this random pple, we wouldnt have to go to school.
Yess...I hate all of em!!
I think this is my first time here!..say "welcome penelope"!
lol
xo
This post reminded me why i ran away from science class. my goshhhhh all those big names. lol @ must everything be named after you .... Greedy show-off!
Took the poll, I hope I helped. Now let me go and read the ewwww post below. lol
HA! I love the names. I think Kolawole should be SAN? what say thee
HA! I love the names. I think Kolawole should be SAN? what say thee
Reading yr post... i thank God i never continued my childhood dream of Medicine. Engr is just the ish!
Seems u'v got a handle on all em names now tho..
good naija girl
really? so how come he's not come to find me yet? lol
Penelope
welcome penelope!
you will understand it by the time you're through, and probably be schooling me sef. yeah, they make school so much harder!
Tairebabs
yeah, so much of a show-off! and the poll is for blogville research, nothing to do with school.
Temite
kolawole should be SAN? dougie will have to vet that. he likes "Adeola" though *shh* i wasnt the one that told u!
qube
engr is the ish? u dont know what u're saying!
as per the names, do i have a choice?
I'm sooooo glad I'm not u many times when I read ur posts on the rigors of medicine. Why does Neprotic sound like my Moniker, and you never did tell us what Vagus is... yuck. I don't even wanna think too hard about it.
You girl....r crazy!
But for real, i remember d begging days of anatomy, u shd see all d misspelling in my notes, like Psoas was spelt sowers!
As for u and ur names....hmmmm...i feel for ur kids, they would be the laughing stock of the play ground with names like Abducens.
Wld i seem really dumb if i say i don't know d rotikikiki somebody?
Ha! Oti oh! Is everything okay with u? LOL.... Papule and macule ke?
lmao.......... and those names wont be a bad idea o....... maybe we should change kolawole's name sef.....
another one of dem reasons why i stuck with pipelines and not medicine... vagu kini? O'Level biology was enuf hassle for me jare!
I asked one of my Doc friend recently if he really learned all those names or pretended to know them all!
Despite my love for quirky names for my kids, I think I'll just stick to naming them from One to Five to make it easier.
Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser Syndrome? No way, thank you very much!
Nefertiti
lol, the meaning is in the glossary at the end of the post.
mizchif
what do u mean? they would be uber-cool, lol, with unique names.
nah, u shouldnt, but now u know it!
sting
yes mami, everything is A-ok! whats wrong with them? arent they cute names?
funms
we cant change kolawole's name without the consent of his e-daddy. we should ask him!
justDB
i think we've already established that pipelines are boooooring! lol
Naughty eyes
im sure he learnt them, does he have a choice? lol.
“Nephrotic” and “Nephritic”?...I'm still rotfl...medicine? was neva 4 me...
U just want my admiration for 'mediciners' to keep growing sha..mschew
In as much as medicine is sooo not for me. I am so amazed by what you guys do! love Nephrotic and Nephritic(sp)..lol but please lets change Kola's name to SAN!..:)
I don't envy you lot at all. Radiography is killing me! How much more radiologists? It isn't easy at all.
stranger things have happened with names.
i've always wandered, if medical students struggle to learn all these names, how do the actors on medical dramas like House M.D, Grey's Anatomy, who don't have any medical background do it?
Now I thank God that I did not study medicine...Please leave Kolawole...at least our tongues have got used to that one...
And I thot being on blogville would take ma mind off all those greedy people that are making us suffer.....
I dont think they had a life,most of them didnt......
9ice post.
What of guys who know about their girls?
Cant we fill the survey too?
Puhleeze now....
abeg o kolawole is ok..
whick kain orisirisi names be this o.. all these eficos sha!
i feel u jo. i went through that anatomy thing, now you are making me scard cos we have not started pathology :(... abeg stick to kolawale...lol
IM sure those names would be stuck in your head after these post. Great way of learning.
gosh bumight ur killing me here ooo....ill have to foward ur link to my sista...she love this medicine talk!
I am just shaking my head and thinking...kai...see wetin book cause!
Great names gal...keep up the good work...learning that is!
Geek attack,geek attack...
thank God I studied geology instead...can't imajin crammin all those names wen I can't even rememba all my friends names
I knew from time immemorial...me and medicine.........are parallel lines
although "with God ALL things are possible"
I managed all the biology courses I was forced to take.
I doff my hat for you, really our brains have much more capacity than we could ever think of.
More power to your elbow!
Efiko bumight
and as for the names...........I leave that to you and DB
Gosh, thank God u discovered all this names after the naming ceremony...
what the heck...oh and I almost flunked biology...
hilarity! how do you cope with all these names? Now i know why i never attempted to go to med school...what!
u are a mess, bumight lol! but i must commend you on your knack for writing! nephritic/nephrotic...u'll be saying Nephy babies, what do u want for dinner? but how would u diff them, ITIC and OTIC? nah men, they go curse u 4 lyf when they know wassup.
They've always said Medicine Drives people mad.....I'm seeing it now
I've always loved anatomy... just for fun though. I know if I had to remember it for real, I would hate it.
My sister is taking pathology with an emphais on bacteriology and she positively hates it right now. Lol!
Good Luck, darl!
justdoyin
rotfl? what do u mean? so u dont think nephritic and nephrotic are good baby names?
burralove
yes o! let it grow! *wink*
Ms O
no prob, but we have to ask the baby daddy first, lol
nice anon
abeg, dont be comparing sleep to death. radiography would kill me too!
webround
thank u! do u see the names these celebrities are giving their kids. i mean, if someone can name their child after an apple, why not nephritic? lol
i have mad respect for those actors, they have to make it sound convincing too!
Rita
lol, i've also gotten used to it.
my world
im very sure they had no life! lol.
tobenna
you know what ur comment reminded me of?
u know the post u put up that post about the glo marathon? Karma baby!
seriously though, if u know u can fill it out.
aloted
have u seen those celebrity baby names? they are even worse!lol
BSNC
trust me babe, pathology might be more work, but its more fun!
femi b
yels! very true.
Gee
killing u ke? dont lie, common u can confess...its sweeting u abi? lol cool, u can forward it to her.
nolimit
thank you! finally, someone appreciates the beauty of my names, lol
Qube
geek? abeg i beg to differ! i might be a nerd- sexy nerd, that is- but NOT a geek, lol
lol @ not remembering all ur friends names.
abeg... no do this..... which kin names be this ones naa....u want ur pikin to run "biomental" oe wetin....lol
kolawole is perfectly fine n yoruba tush~
Wow. You studying medicine in jand shay? lucky you. why my papa no carry me go there
Hiss!!!
In case u havent noticed, i don delete you! Hence, i no dey comment on ur posts again even if i read am.
This is ur last warning! Name ko, name ni!
mama ku ile and papa ku ile? no be epa pino (seasoned groundnuts) wey we chop when we small for naija dem dey call that one?
i took some bio class for my science requirement and people thot i was crazy for taking such. i could rather learn reproduction than learn to read the stars to determine if they align.
Yeah, babes.... name your pikin Nephrotic. I think it'll go well. LOL.
U be crase woman wahali
Oh Bumighty,
You are so funny man!!
"Greedy show-off!"...lolllllllll
But hey, you got the hang of it, hilariously linking it to names and having a good story line to remember.
Well done bumight....so funny.
You are a bright one sha...
taKia and God bless
That is a mouthful. You can make money by listing those names on a web directory with a fancy name. Those celebs that have run out of names to give their kids will buy into it!
What do you think? Hola at me for domain name protection. hehehe!
Hope you are good. Have a fab wkd!
I think GlossophaWhatever would be a good name for this e-Kolawole.
Then we could call him GL for short, then people would assume its some form of abbreviation for Gold...
Did I ever mention that i'm an all-things-medical junkie? i so totally like this post!
Dougie likes Adeola? hmmm... why?
So much words to digest.
I love the Pap Smear poll...
See ehn, I've got to collaborate with you. The thought of getting into med school is tiring, talkless of learning a whole bunch of terms. God is there sha. I must also add that you're so smart for finding a way to remember the terms.
Post a Comment