twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Friday, March 27, 2009

Stranger's balls, Church and Vagina. (do not read while eating, you've been warned!)

There are a few memorable moments from each year of medical school. In first year, the moment you meet your first cadaver, make your first incision, and of course the moment you’re done with first year. In second year, it’s the USMLE, your first meaningful patient contact and your first GTU experience. I had one of my own memorable moments a couple of weeks back- my GenitoUrinary Exam.

The GTU exam is when you actually get to perform a genitourinary exam on your first live patient. The patients are trained professionals (professional patients? Professional actors?) to teach you the process as you perform the exam on them.

On this particular sunday, I donned my white coat as usual, left my stethoscope, put on the same heels from the last post and made my way to the hospital. There were three of us assigned to the patient- Two girls and a guy.

The first patient I saw was a female. She was already there sitting on the examining table. I was nervous at first, but after a while I relaxed and got into it. We did the breast exam first, and then we did the vaginal exam, and the rectal exam. We even got to put a speculum in!

How many speculums can you have inserted inside you in the span of two hours? We all did it once, I mean its not painful or anything, but there were two groups, meaning at least six students. Like one wise man once said, “She dey take am like professional”.

Anyways, we were done in about two hours. The only highlight of the exam was that she made me cut my nails before inserting my fingers in her vagina. Yea, so my wonderful nails are goneeee!!!!

So my female patient was done, and it was time for the male patient. I was more nervous than scared. I mean, its not like I haven’t seen a naked male before, but handling a stranger was just too uncomfortable for me to imagine. We first started, by looking for lymph nodes and soon it was time to do the penile exam.

Father Lord, please don’t let him have an erection while I’m doing the penile exam!

I went second, and while I was examining him, he started to have an erection (which is normal, you perverts! Lol)

There are very few awkward moments that you would remember for the rest of your life. Like the moment you were stuck holding a random stranger’s ball for more almost a minute while the rest of the people in the room carry on a conversation. It was time to examine the testicles, and Mr. John had suggested that I go first, just as I put my hands to his balls, infact, I was already cradling it in my hand when one of my partners chose that inopportune time to ask a question!

So do I drop it like its hot?

Or hold on while he asked his question and Mr John answered?

Neways, I ended up doing the latter. All the while I’m thinking:

Great! Instead of being at church getting my praise on, I’m here holding a stranger’s balls minutes after digging through another stranger’s vagina. Happy Sabbath day!

For some reason, I couldn’t get the testicles to hold still in my hands. He had to show me twice before I finally could do a reasonable maneuver. Eventually I had to do it with both hands.

“You hold it like this and roll it between ur hands”

My troubles were far from over. Next on the agenda was the Digital rectal exam. My plan was to go second so I could see what the person in front of me did. Mr John had a different plan.

“Bumight, why don’t you go first?”

So I put a lot of lubricant on my finger, spread his cheeks and inserted my hand up his anus. Turned my hands 180 degrees clockwise, 270 degrees counterclockwise to feel his prostate and it was over. He said I did well!

Plus, I actually felt his prostate!!! So my first digital rectal exam was not as bad as I thought it would be, it was over in less than 45 seconds.

So, I don’t think got a good handle on the testicular exams, plus I think I might need more practice with the Digital rectal exams, any volunteers? LOL!

75 comments:

Anonymous said...

No thanks -- i'll stick with pipelines and storage tanks instead... ewwwww

Confessions of a London gal said...

2NDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!

exschoolnerd said...

ewwwwwwwwwwwww!!! IYAMA!

Roc said...

Dayyyyyyyyuuuuummmmmmmm!!!!

There goes my dinner!!!!!!!

Roc said...

Bumighttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!

How could you do this to me???

I thought we were friends???

Next time please put a warning ontop of the post!!

*DO NOT EAT WHILE READING THIS!!*

Confessions of a London gal said...

“You hold it like this and roll it between ur hands”....Niceeeee- Not!

Damn girl! You surgeons!!!

mizchif said...

Na wa oh! me i thought i would be first sef! Shey it's still less than an hr! I can't even read now sef, Just came to mark my spot!

~Sirius~ said...

Ewwwwww! I was eating!!!

mizchif said...

I'm happy 4 u! So u finally got to do a GTU exam! Go girl! I've been running forever. Each time i see a patient that needs an examination, i run away 4rm the ward. Plus i'm highly reluctant to cut my beauriful nails, so....

lmao @ u not being able to handle the balls though!

bob-ij said...

top 10

Rebirth said...

this just scared me........ reason 100 of y i never studied medicine: can't be inserting my hand into someone's vagina and rolling someone's balls.......
u guys try o......... good job and glad ur exam went well.....

bob-ij said...

So wow! Througout this post i was grinning... cringing...frowning... lol.. Woah! this was too intense poor guy..when a hot girl was cheking him up...lol..how won't he be happy??

But this reminds my of why I discarded medicine as a profession. That rectal thingamajig...nah mate!

At least it went well!
x!

Scarlet said...

loool Bumight...you've probably made everyone go thier food!!!
PRs i can handle, scrotal exams i can deal with but speculum and bimanual???? no thank you i'll pass on that!! i've only ever done it once to get my skills book signed up and i hope neva to have to do it again!!!

Ms.O said...

Ewwwww!!!!! Digital wahhh!!! I will find volunteers for you tho!..lol

bumight said...

DB
how can you say that? this is fun! LOL

confessions
how can you say not nice? u know that thing requires skills sha, Lol!

exschoolnerd
even you? dang!

Roc
of course we are friends! if you had told me u were eating, or even invited me to eat, maybe i wouldnt have posted at that time :)

mizchif
babe, this wasnt optional AT ALL! very compulsory. after the initial nervousness, it was fun :) the prostate exam wasnt even as bad as i thought it would be

sirius
wassup with everyone eating at the same time? sowee love!

funms
common, it wasnt that bad. im sure u would have enjoyed it, LOL!

bob-ij
lol, he actually said it was normal to have an erection, some pple actually still do even if it was a male doing the exam, lol. i know he said to tell the patient it was normal, so young pple dont go thinking they are cheerful cos they got an erection!

bumight said...

Roc
are we back to being friends now? ive adjusted the title just for you!

Scarlet
even you? traitor!!!! lol
you can do scrotals and PR and u wont do speculums? that was by faaaaar the coolest thing of the day for me!

Ms. O
lol, thank you jare, better person!

Anonymous said...

U held his balls n rolled em?
where can I sign up?

Omo Oba said...

You r now recruiting volunteers on blogville? eish, we would neet to start our own e-hippa. it is something i am sooo not looking forward to for next year...ewwww. Hm, and about the guy, I am suspect o...an erection?!? And it is normal? really?

Good Naija Girl said...

lol at the ewwww from the commenters so far!

I had medical school aspirations once upon a time, and unfortunately it didn't happen. Reading through this, maybe I would have had a difficult time with it.

Anyways, congrats on being a pro at the rectal exam. lol

Unknown said...

Iyanma.. Abeg carry go jo.
Digital rectal ko..Digital camera ni.. Kai..d thing dey turn my belle sef..But congrat all d same.

Joy Akut said...

wowww! no wonder my childhood dream of beoming a doc was cut short:)

BSNC said...

good job.... lol why is everybody ewwwwwwing

Anonymous said...

I think I just threw up in my mouth. And do u have to be such a good writer? It would have helped if I didn't understand a word you wrote. *gulps*

Nefertiti said...

That is st8 up pornography, lady. I never wanted to be a doctor. ans now I see that God saved me!

bumight said...

qube
there goes a brave man! lol...

omo oba
see, qube already signed up.
its not as bad as it sounds. im serious. when i was done being nervous, i was just trying to keep from laughing. i dont think anyone in my class was permanently scarred and yes, having an erection is no biggie apparently. imagine 3 people taking turns to feel up your P, its bound to rise....lol

good naija girl
you dont give urself enough credit, im sure you'll have been fine. the dude that was with my group, he's very shy and relatively naive, and he got through it.

spicy tee
you too? e dey turn ur belle ke? wetin dey ur belle b4?

fantasy queen
not you too cuz! im sure you can do it! we just need a volunteer so i can teach u everything i learnt, lol

bsnc
i dont know o! im sure most of them are pros o! lol

bibi
lol, im glad you were able to understand EVERYTHiNG, lmao!

nefertiti
pornography ke? u are calling my education porn? nefie take ur time o, lol i was just learning about the inner workings of the body, lol

Anonymous said...

awesome!!! cant wait 4 my turn...i wonder who my patient would be....MUHAHA

Anonymous said...

YUCCCCKKKKK!!!!!


thank God I am not a doctor!!!

shit!!!!

Aint no doctor holding MY BALLS like that!!! never!!!!

Anonymous said...

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Disgusting
Why Bum Bum
WHY!!!!!
Disgusting!
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
U berra tank ur lucky stars that I am not eating right now. Otherwise I would grab u and give u a mean backhand.
mscheeeww

Dante said...

Finally..I get a space on this long queue...
I no for mind this work..At least, I get to inspect things...Where are we signing up?lol But Bum Bum, I must warn, I will not be inspecting the long things...lol, just the other ones...lol
Very interesting piece...

Buttercup said...

Wow Bumight..u docs dey try o..I have no right to hate on u guys for being rich anymore!

Good that it went well sha..

Roc said...

Nice one Bumight..
We're good.. I'll ensure I'm on a diet next time I see a title that eludes to your medical rounds though..

*Considering this title that's a bit hard though..*

:-)

The Activist said...

Anytime you are faced with naked man for examination again, think of it like you are seeing his neck or arm...

If I were the female patient I wld ask you to cut your nails too o cuz it wont be safe in there with long nails tearing thru lol)

LoloBloggs said...

You know what's funny about your post? last time I had a check-up there was a medical student in with the doctor, I had a lot of sympathy for her as she was clearly way embarrased and I wasn't! lol!

@Chari and all other men, I beg, let somebody hold your balls-oh! Mek you get checked, 5 mins or your life!

scribble,me.free said...

maybe i just have a strong stomach...but that wasnt that bad..not nearly...the rectal exam...wasnt that something like the scene in American Pie: The Wedding where Stiffler has a nurses hand up his you-know=what

Afrobabe said...

Now this is why I never considered medicine...

Lolia said...

@ Afrobabe
Word

Meanwhile lol @ professional patients...Yup, that's what it is...And they pay them too..At my school they put it up as a job on the students job website and they tell you what the person that's examining you should do/look for...Basically you go through training to be poked and prodded...It's cool though...

Femi B said...

I think i am having a dejavu or there is just something about this post that brings up some ind of memory or private thinking.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, let's see. But then, why volunteers and not guinea-pigs?

simplegal said...

You touched his prostate? Cool!
This isn't as bad as I thought it'd be when I read the post title; I'm actually not grossed out. It's probably just coz I want to be a doctor though.

Anonymous said...

wow.. some experience!

Sisem E. Naidem said...

I'll volunteer... Right after Doug does!!!

Jennifer A. said...

LOLLLLLL @ this post. Someone has gotta do the dirty job...muhaha!

bumight said...

anonymous
i take it ure also a med student. thats the spirit jare.

chari
you know what they say. "never say never". shey u want to come to yankee abi, if u ever need to get a full physical, someone will be grabbing your balls.

temite
schew! backhand ko, fronthand ni. shey u didnt see the warning at the beginning of the page?

dante
which work dont u mind? to inspect or to be inspected? lol

burralove
yes o, dont hate. really its not that bad, and i might never have to do it again, but i wouldnt mind doing it again.

Roc
i only put the warning cos its ur first time. from experience, expect anything on my blog. i take it u've not read about sally? lol

standtall
ha, i cant do the imagination thingy o, what if i miss something wrong? wahala!

loloblogs
dont mind chari o!
are u for real? ive been in the room observing a pap smear before, wasnt embarrassed but i thought the patient was. this was kinda diff, cos i had to do it myself, esp since i knew we were acting and the person wasnt a real patient.

scribbles
can i call u that? thank u jare! i didnt think it was as disgusting as people make it to seem...so since ur stomach is strong, do u want to volunteer, lol

afrobabe
ok babe, im dispaapointed to hear u say that! you ke?

The Activist said...

No you wont, it will keep you focus and not shaky...

bumight said...

lolia
students? i dont know how much anyone would pay me to allow 6 amateur students each put a speculum in me!
these ones were the instructors as well as patients. they were all old too.

femi b
deja vu? share
or u're refering to the post before this one?

rethots
see what? uve started again with these ur incomplete comments abi?
and yes, volunteers - selflessly giving themselves to the advancement of knowledge, lol - not guinea pigs.

simplegal
yes o! i felt his prostate. very cool! yes o, u shouldnt be grossed out - cos u'll be doing it in 2 years hopefully - amen!

ochuko
yes o, some experience indeed.

naughty eyes
ok, consider urself signed up cos im sure doug will be only too glad to oblige. lol.

jaycee
somebody has to do the dirty job my sister, cos i cant imagine how much anyone can offer me to be a prof. patient.

standtall
a job is a job o. it has to be done - i dont have any choice but to face the reality (no pun intended, lol) i survived "sally" by facing it. no biggie, lol

flabby said...

argh!! goodbye fish pie-no more dinner tonight!
xo

Toluwa said...

oh my dayum....am nt eating, but am nt sure i wanna eat while this post is still in my memory!

U shld go get the awards logo on the NBA 09' site...u won in caegory b..i thinks!

The Activist said...

allrighty

jhazmyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jhazmyn said...

LOL, just read thru this and my hubby and i had a good laff...found it more hilarious than disgusting...good one bumight and a big congrats too on a job well done

Tari. N said...

Wow..Touching balls and digging thru vagina's?? lol!! what a day..

The disgusting part was when u had to stick ur finger up his anus...now thats just plain NASTY!!! lmao!!!

Later luv!!
F.

poeticallytinted said...

Goodness! All I can think is, who on earth are these people? (shudders) And I like it when you quote "wise men" lol

Freddie said...

Lol... Always been fascinated by the antics of the medical world. ... Not had so much laughs in a long time. Thanks so much for a lovely piece, I really enjoyed my visit... now I have to go get my ribs fixed.
PS: Congratulations on your naija blogger award.

LusciousRon said...

EEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW! I would rather stare at my PC all day. Hope you ahve washed your hands very well.

Did you clean them with bleach? Why can't I stop laughing?

O'Dee said...

You have given me a question to ask my husband; wanna know how his 1st vaginal... went.

The menu for your baby shower is on my blog. I hope i did well with the food.

doll (retired blogger) said...

Quick question…The owners of d vagina and balls…what were they doing while u guys were fondling, penetrating them and conversing?

Smaragd said...

lol! c'mon people, it's not that bad.

ok, the turning in degrees part was disgusting!

Nigerian Drama Queen said...

See this is exactly how I know I the sciences-medicine in particular-was not meant for moi. Sticking my hand down people's vagina's would be a hell no for me! Especially infront of people! lmao.

Giagerry said...

mehn bunight u doctors (abi na nurse) try ooo!
my sister just finished medicine, im gonna go ask her y she dint gimme all dese details!

aloted said...

ah bumight..abeg which kain medicine be this way u dey touch all kains of things..men i can never ever be a dokita in my life...kai....kai kai....

bumight said...

flabby
soweee
maybe the fishpie dinner wasnt meant to be. :)

just...Toluwa
thanks, i already got it!

standtall
cool then.

jhazmyn
at least someone finally didnt find it disgusting! thanks for reading.

fashinga
lol, nasty but necessary!

poeticallytinted
they are professionals o. thats their day job. lol, arent they wise men?

freddie
you're welcome. i'm glad someone else shares my fascination. do stop by from time to time.

lusciousRon
i was wearing gloves. no need for bleach :)

o'dee
when he tells you, can u make a post on it. i'll really love to hear it.
and the meal was fantabulous!

doll
they were the ones telling us what to do. "put your hand here", "touch this" etc.

smaragd
thank you! even the turning in degrees part, i dont think it was bad.

NDQ
lol, ok the vagina is actually cool. u get to see the cervix, pls tell me u dont think that is cool. lmao!

Gee
lol, she prolly didnt want to freak u out! you should ask her though, and come and report ur findings, lol

aloted
it is "practical" nau. lol

Anonymous said...

Bumighty,

Now I know why you are so brainy!

Having the ability to perform magic on live patients is no mean feat. "I duff my hats"

Well done...

...and you would have to excuse me now as I need to go and wash my hands as I had just finished eating eba and ewedu whilst reading about your exploits with your hands.....lolll

taKia and God bless

Original Mgbeke said...

LMAO. Med students una dey try o. This was one very funny post. I always balk when I have to go to the gyno but I must remember that you'se lot see it as a professional thing as opposed to be a personal thing.

₪ said...

u've ruined my dinner. Anyway, if you are posting any blog this week, be very careful when you click “SEND”or your blog might disappear and you lose your post. The internet will be down many times and at different times this week. The Internet Reboot - SitePoint announced that there will be an Internet reboot many times this week at every 11:59UTC. As they put it, “People forget that the Internet has been running continuously since the 1970s. This reboot will provide greater stability for years to come. We’re also hoping it will result in fewer viagra and scam messages.”

Tigeress said...

Nice one Bumight- u must be SO SO excited! At least i'm excited for you. Dr. bumight. You seem like a natural. What type of doctor do u want to be? Sha remember u have a potential patient here. :):)

Parakeet said...

Gees God Bumight dont tell me u did that? That anal part I mean...yuck x 10. God knows why I cant be in the medical line.

Tairebabs said...

ahhhhhh now i get y everyone is eewwwww at this post. Being a doctor is not easy at all o. I used to admire the way doctors look so professional in their getup but this post gives me comfort that i aint doing so badly in my own profession. lol

Anonymous said...

I am no medical student,however i think I have seen a rectal/or was it taking her temps being performed on a child I was babysitting. It is not that bad and it was pretty quick.

My Obgyn is a male. THe very first time I was nervous. Now I don't get nervous, he is very professional and gentle.

I had this disscussion with some coworkers They all prefer female doctors most said" A female doctor would understand what you are going Thru better and that a male could never relate with the pains of Pms and birthing" I don't think this is a resonable excuse to make the switch

bArOquE said...

now i feel violated...i will never go for a testicular or rectal examination...i dont have the balls too...i will be traumatised afterwards..no thanks

bumight said...

jidesalu
*blushes*
you ate eba and ewedu while reading this. you are bold! infact, you're the man!

original mgbeke
i really didnt mind going to the gyno my first time...as long as its a female doc, im good to go. Really, for most docs, its professional.

secret diary
awww, im so sorry, but u were warned! lol

Tigress
i dont know what i want to do yet. i think i should be decided by the end of next year - after this experience though, i know urology isnt for me!

Parakeet
better believe it my sister.

Tairebabs
what can i say, its part of the training process, lol. whats ur profession btw?

anonymous
ive never tried a male ob/gyn. i know im going to be super nervous if i have to be examined by a male doctor.
i dont agree with the excse of ur coworkers though. you can make a switch cos you feel more comfortable, but a good doctor is a good doctor regardless of the sex.

baroque
violated? never say never my dear. guys are actually encouraged to examine their testicles like women do their breasts. if u notice any anomaly, feel free to ask for Dr. Bumight to examine you, and i'll be more than ecstatic to do you (no pun intended) lol
and u might want to change ur mind about the prostate exam when u reach 60. :)

ManCee said...

Do me, Do me...
However, I do have this thing about returning favors...

bumight said...

mancee
be careful what you wish for cos you just might get it....not the returning favors part sha o, lol!

Vera Ezimora said...

LOL

I don't know if I should cry or laugh.

Who am I kidding? I'm laughing! Those professional students are tough ooo! They must be enjoying being felt up like that. LOL.

Roses said...

...Bumight, you are a legend.
x x x x

Anonymous said...

Bumight, you write very well. KT

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com