twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Naija: A post in Many Parts

Third time, they say, is the charm. This was my third time of visiting home for Christmas. The first time I didn’t have to mix business with pleasure.

Heavenly Bliss! Pure unadulterated bliss!

Why o why is it that EVERYBODY in naija carries at least two phones? I don’t get it. Actually, people have tried to explain it to me several times but it still amazes me everytime I see a dude with four phones. Pls don’t bother explaining it to me again. It gives me a headache!  It was just kinda interesting to see pple battling with their numerous phones.

Speaking of phones, I missed my phone sooo bad! I’m not used to rapid phone calls, but after the first three days, I pretty much got the hang of it. That was the one thing I couldn’t stand! Ok, aside from NEPA...

Speaking of NEPA, my mom is convinced that I have a boyfriend in NEPA or is it PHCN? The night before I came (so I heard) the Light started coming on at 12am to stay for the most part of the night. Cool, because they put off the generator like a couple mins before 12am. I guess the NEPA dude realized that I wasn’t accepting his proposition because about a week into my stay, the power became erratic. Idiot! By then, my nephrons had grown longer and I had already adapted 

I need to do a separate post about my clubbing experience. I was excited to go out with a couple of friends one Friday night. Sadly the Clubbing scene is far different from what I’m used to. Don’t get me wrong. The place we went to was tastefully done – nice atmosphere, two levels, nice VIP rooms, but I did not have as much fun. THE DJ SUCKED BALLS!
Why o why is anybody still playing songs from the early 90s? I don’t mean old school songs. I mean, Rihana has even forgotten that she sang “Pon de Replay”! and if you wanted to play an Usher song, what happened to “Love in this club”? why “caught up”?

Speaking of clubs, I almost met the Love of My Life at the club. Apparently they had reserved one of the VIP tables that my friends wanted, and so we knew they were supposed to be coming. Also it happened that some of the friends I went out with knew him and promised to introduce us. Alas! They didn’t show up!
I know this is the work of haters, but this Love will prevail!

Speaking of the Love of my Life, have you heard his new single: Taboo? That ish is off the wall! I’ve always known that my baby has mad talent! I swear that joint was inspired by me (can a girl dream in peace again?)
I’m sorry I took off my beads, its only been two months. I thought they had served their purpose. I’m going to go look for my beads and put them back on!



Sorry Dbanj, I cant be ur HKIC anymore.

I had an encounter with a “blogger”. This deserves a post on its own. Said post coming up next. QED!

My naija anthems were:
Taboo – Wande Coal
Bosi gbangba – El dee
Le fenu so – Lord of Ajasa ft 9ice ( only the part sung by 9ice sha,)

And no naija xmas trip is complete without weddings! I attended one. Thank God I bought the dress in London.
Short. Perfect.

Oh, and I did a lot of reading when I got tired of going out. There was something special about leisure reading. Maybe cos I haven’t done it in months! I bought three books on my way from London (almost missed my flight cos of it!) a sweetheart gave me three more books in Naija (muah!) and I bought three more books on my way back! So of course I didn’t open any school books during the holiday, it felt good!

And since I missed one week of school already, I have to hit those same school books real hard. Shucks!
Exams in three weeks! Jizos H. Christ!!

51 comments:

Anonymous said...

I AM FURST!!!!!!!!
DAMN I AM BACK!

Anonymous said...

Damn Girl - sounds like you had mad fun. I am so freaking JEALOUS! What did you bring me from Naija? 4phones at a time? What?!!! Are you kidding? WOW WOW. Naija peeps sha...

mizchif said...

GET OUT TEMITE!!!

mizchif said...

Ehen, miss bum, good to have u back.

Only 4 phones and u r making noise, i'm sure he left the remaining 4 at home. U know there's glo, MTN, Econet/vodafone/celtell/very confused. Theres also visafone, mtel, starcomms, etisalat, and so they have to just have a fone for each line.

As for ur clubbing, i think u went out with the wrong ppl errbody else has banging stories to tell abt clubbing in naij!

Good to have u back, now i'm expecting my gift in the mail.

ShonaVixen said...

Happy New Year hon and you seemed to have had a whale of a time!!

Rebirth said...

glad u had fun...... ehy ya, NEPA... can they ever get better?????
i always ask my friends about the phones too..... i dont get it!!!!

NaijaScorpio said...

Thanks for the Wande coal song. I've never heard it.

Glad u had fun in naija. You have something waiting for u on my blog.

Tigeress said...

Welcome back to the real world darling! Glad to hear u had fun! I'm so looking forward in going March/April. :)

As for the clubbing scene in Naija- its the smoking that IRKS me BIG TIME!!! its like AAAAAHHHHHH!!!! silly little boys blowing smoke in ur face as if its the cool thing to do now.

bumight said...

@Temite: i see u're getting good at this :)
come and get your kinishi before i finish it...or i might just help you.
they said something about inter-carrier rates being crazy, even my kid sister has two phones...

@ mizchif: lol, i should have told u i updated.
the people i went out with were cool, but for me, the music makes or mars my clubbing experience. I think naija djs should just stick to their naija songs.
at the 2nd (or was it 3rd) place that we went, the dj played naija songs straight for a while, it was cool!

@shona vixen: I tried :)

@Funms: and my NEPA bf tried for a bit. Im looking forward to the days of constant light in Naija!

@Sting: you're welcome, sha dont try and steal my boo o! that's all I ask!
I'm heading to ur blog in a min

@Tigress: I'm sure you'll have fun.
the smoking really didnt bother me....after a while. All my friends smoked ( and most of them are doctors o! schew!)

Nefertiti said...

Hmmh. I can hear my friend now... " u never learn abi? Mscheeeeewwww" I'm glad u had fun. I hated it when I last went. The heat, dust, hostility, strife, NEPA, Traffic... girl, I can go for days. My mom says I set my expectations too high. Plus the theives mahn, the theives. I'll take the cold, thanks. Good to have u back, baybay!

Shubby Doo said...

Welcome back. Ok what club(s) did you go to? Cause I didn't think that about the music...lol @ your bf in NEPA... I refused to complain about the heat cause it was so freaking cold when I left england. Did you get a chance to watch nigeria flims? I wacthed jennifa...hilarious. Who was this blogger?

P.s
Happy new year. Good luck with the studying

LG said...

lolll@ rhianna' glad u had fun tho'
naija 4 life

miz-cynic said...

OMO SEEMS LIKE U RILY ENJOYED URSELF O ON THIS UR TRIP. WOULD HAVE BEEN FUN TO RUN into some bloggers this last hols anyways sha its all good.

bArOquE said...

the highest grooving ever...glad you had fun...sad, its back to reality for you!

LusciousRon said...

I knew there was something missing from Blogsville. How are you? You obviously had fun in Las Giddy. All the best in your exams. Missed you.

~Sirius~ said...

Hey, Happy new year, glad you had fun back home although that DJ really sucked.....Glad you're back.

FineBoy Agbero said...

Iyawo mi atata!!! Was just going to come here 2day and pester u into updating! Dont be a truant like me ooo!!! Good to have u back sha... missed u some...

What are nephrons? No, i won't use goggle! Like d Yoruba say: "Eni ti o ba pa owe ni ile ana, loma tun mo e." (He who speaks a proverb to his in-laws must explain it!)

And no, Wande can't be urs, so gbo? Just stay with a better singer like me!

Now, what beads? Waist beads??? Oh-la-la!!!

bumight said...

@Nefertiti: there are some things u get used to - NEPA, traffic (actually, there wasnt really any much traffic this time). Lol, Naija is still home my dear. plus, I dont like the cold!

@Shubby doo: we went to Penthouse, Bacchus and 360(or sth like that).
I dont think there was anybody who went home who didnt see Jennifa, lol! I even brought the movie back!

@LG: thanks, so where's my christmas hamper (cos I hear u've been distributing!)

@miz-cynic: oh, i definitely "ran" into a blogger. lol. did you go home too?

@baroque: I sure did have fun, could have had more, bt im not complaining! now its reality time!

LusciousRon: of course Blogville could not have been the same without me! (ok, i need to come down from the clouds! LOL). Happy new year my dear. I missed u guys too!

@Sirius: Happy New year. In a way, im glad i'm back (ok, no, I want to go back!) yeah, that DJ really needed lessons, or better still stick to naija songs, its not by force...

@FBA: hope u have updated urself before u start pestering me?
my dear, Wande HAS to be mine o! how do i know u're a better singer?
and u're the only one that would read the part about the waist beads, lol. Its for wande's eyes only...

Flourishing Florida said...

2 b medical student no b beans oh.hmmmm. God knows i no fit. me & book no dey d same area code. but if na leisure reading, na me!

i actually don't club, so i know nothing of d naija clubbing ways.but light here is deplorable! it's embarrassing.

i must b d only one who doesn't know who wande is. i know d'banj sha, & don jazzy. is wande part of dem?

Zena said...

qand she go say na tabooo, tabooo..I heart that song man,I'm happy you had fun, good luck on your exams love,

poeticallytinted said...

Upload a pic of the dress!

Sounds like you had mega fun. lol @ NEPA. You neva jam! The music is Nigerian clubs is an acquired taste. Only for the informed ears. lol.

36 INCHES OF BROWN LEGS said...

u were in lagos!!! d horror!! no but seriously i used to wonder why peeps had 2 3 phones until i joined them an di can explain:

imagine this, u r out with ur friends, everyones left their phones at home, but u take ur u know just in case, smthing goes wrong, u have no money to pay d bar man or smthing so u try to call ur brother to come bail u out, mtn tells u network failure. if u only have dat one fone what does that mean? u gon be washing a lot of dishes sister!!

on d other hand, imagine uve had d same number for years, then u start a new job and they hand u a blackberry,m what do u do? u dont want to dump ur old number cos everyone has dat number and u cannot not use ur official line, so what do u do? u carry both!

ok this is way too long for a comment....

doll (retired blogger) said...

hy...glad 2 knw u had fun
I wont xplain th multiple phon to you since u asked me not to

tobenna said...

Good to hear you had fun in Naija.
Experienced NEPA and all that.
I have 3 phones.
You have to live here to understand it.

Happy new year dear.
Hope you are keeping well.
Hurry up and finish school oh.

miz-cynic said...

@fff:-wande coal is the one with the sonorous voice ...very very dark and chubby.im sure u know him

bumight said...

@fff: you dont know who my boo is? he sang his first single Ololufe for me a while back. oya go and youtube him sharpish!

@Zena: thanks babe.

@poeticallytinted: I'll see if i can crop my face out of one of the pics and upload it. no promises though ;)
yeah, i guess its an acquired taste thingy, taste buruku! lol!

@36 inches: Longest time babes! i thot u had forgotten us.
i guess in a way i kinda understand the two phones thing (esp the office blackberry and personal phone) i just dont know how people struggle with carrying all those phones...esp guys!

LOL @ washing dishes!


@doll: i take it u have 2 phones? lol

@tobenna: only you? 3 phones!
I cant wait to finish school too! and btw i was on ur blog as soon as i woke up for the pics, it wasnt there *sulk*

@miz-cynic: pls my sister, help me explain to her o!, but how can u describe my boo as chubby? if i catch you? i prefer...full-bodied, lol!

Ms.O said...

Welcome back girl! glad you had fun! Love the wande coal song and oo Happy New year!

Writefreak said...

Glad you had fun in Naija. Hope you've settled back into real life...happy new year
So you have a crush on Wande Coal, is that right?lol...the guy is too black for me...
And that Ajasa song featuring Nice, isn't it, 'nkan to ba wu elenu lo le fe'nu e so?
All the best in your exams o!
I'm saving your blog on my list so i can always come back...

aloted said...

gbogbo enjoyment!!!

na u biko!!! :D

Invisible said...

I am soo old school. So you went to naija? What about our deal? Should I be expecting fedex to ring my door bell?

Toluwa said...

you must av heard tons of fun...

Naija ppl just love old songs and altho they've heard new ones, it takes a while for them to turn it to club songs...

But u had fun anyways..am soooo jealous!

QMoney said...

we have 4-5 fones because.......:)
happy new year

Smaragd said...

well, since everybody is fessing up, i also have two phones (1 GSM- glo and 1 CDMA- visafone) and wait for it... i just got a third line(etisalat)! lol. buying lines is a manic thing with us cuz we are always seeking the best call rates...lol

i didnt even know u were coming to naija, this girl, i'm not talking to u again! *pouts*

good to know u had mad fun sha, naija still has talent apparently. as per Wande Coal, leave MY boo alone Bumight, or i'll burn down this blog one time! lmao.

it's kinda late to say happy new year eh? happy new year anyway

bumight said...

@Ms O: happy new year! glad u like the song, my boo is a star! lol

@writefreak: how can u belitle my feelings for my boo to just a crush? we're getting married. he just doesnt know it yet. thank God he's too black for you, less competition!
and yeah, its the same song.

@aloted: abi nau! lol

@invisible: fedex ko, UPS ni! u've not been good, so no santa fedex for you!

@Just...Toluwa: in this internet age, its not hard to find current songs jare. hope u had fun in NY too?

@Qmoney: lol, i see u're part of them. its all good sha.

@smaragd; ma binu, u'd have known if u hadnt been so awol.
your boo? you must be in denial! there will be WAR over this one! lol,
its never too late to say happy new year dear!

Nigerian Drama Queen said...

I thought I had commented on this post oh! I had even put my 1stttt all over the darn place. This stupid blogger eh! Hiss
Anyhoo,I can see you had fun in 9ja! Gosh I didnt get to go for any weddings..im sure you were killing it in your dress!! I didn't do much clubbing, cant wait to hear more about your experience. Meanwhile, you got to meet a blogger? Ok I definately wanna hear about that as well!!
Oh about the 4 phone things...I get it sha. Some people have celltell/glo lines to make international calls, mtn for business or because their boyfriend/girlfriend has it and it makes calls cheaper, etc....if phones wernt so complicated with the contracts and what not here in yankee, im sure people would be doing the same...

Gosh you have exams already? I soooo dont envy you. Good luck on that!!!

Afrobabe said...

Wow...u had mad fun girl...

Cant wait to read the blogger experience...

As for the two phones thingy...guilty as charged..I have 2 phones too and I dont even know why....

Nepa...needs a whole book dedicated to them!!!

Still waiting for the blogger story...

Buttercup said...

the gen also goes off by 12 in my house..hisssss! but nepa has been kind of late sha..

i cant believe i've not been to a club here! havent gone for a wedding either..hissssssss again!

glad u had a blast sweetie!

Jaguda said...

if u only have 1 phone u are deemed unserious. this is because of erratic network on the phones which are too jammed. thats the reason. glad u had fun

Zayzee said...

every blogger who came home had fun. Good to know that i did not disappoint all of u o. yes. i actually told everyone that i have people coming from all over the world so make sure they have fun o.

Bumight, how u take win nepa for the firt few days. dey just dont smile at us anymore. imagine getting used to no light and being suspicious when the light comes.

and me, i carry three phones o, before you crucify me, i can explain, but i wouldn't.

Anonymous said...

Le fenu o so was da bomb for me.
I hope 9ice goes on to become the next Nigerian legend after Fela, not that yeye over-rated Tuface

Anonymous said...

happy new year

The Activist said...

I carry to phones cos I onces lost my glo line. Retrieveing it became a forever job then I got an MTN line. When I eventually got my glo, I couldn’t but use it to cos much more pple could reach me via that phone…

Lol at your NEPA dude affair

Original Mgbeke said...

Holdup, is it Wande Coal that you are calling the love of your life 'cos I'm about to take my weave off and open a can of whoop ass in this comment box. Come and clarify o...*taps foot*

Ehnn but enjoyment sha! I am just jeloxing everyone who went to Naija this holiday season. Hisss...
Man, that multiple phone thing is straight hilarity.

Original Mgbeke said...

Holdup, is it Wande Coal that you are calling the love of your life 'cos I'm about to take my weave off and open a can of whoop ass in this comment box. Come and clarify o...*taps foot*

Ehnn but enjoyment sha! I am just jeloxing everyone who went to Naija this holiday season. Hisss...
Man, that multiple phone thing is straight hilarity.

bumight said...

@NDQ: said post will be up next.
i guess with time, the phone companies'll make it easier on people so they dont have to carry a gazillion phones. i dont think pple want to carry 10 phones in yankee, the inter-carrier rates dont matter as such, esp with the fave 5 kinda plans.

@Afrobabe; ok, i dont know why you have two phones, arent u in jand?

@buttercup: me thinks you need at least one clubbing experience, for posterity's sake. lol.
btw, are u still in naija?

@jaguda: hmn...different explanation

@Uzezi: so its u we had to thank? shucks! i didnt know. dont worry love, no explanation needed!

@severus snape: you could have picked dumbledore! or padfoot! or tonks, why snape? lol
yeah, 2face is seriously over-rated. dont know what else he's done besides African queen that is worthy of note.
happy new year dude!

@standtall: yet another explanation for a complicated life, its ok. i understand!
abi nau, what else could i have done? i needed the light so bad, and i struck a deal with the NEPA dude , lol

@original mgbeke: yes o Wande Coal is my boo!
y'all need to keep off! cant a girl enjoy her man without you stalkers trying to ruin it for her?
lol
don't jelox uls o, im sure you had fun in yankee too.

Aphrodite said...

Hey babes!
Missed u.
So u came to Naija eh?
I also carry two phones.
One GSM and the other a land line.
The land line is cheaper for local/ international calls so i keep it.

O'Dee said...

Yep! no xmas visit to 9ja is complete without attending at least 1 wedding.

Hit those books real hard.
All the best in your exams.

doug said...

You dont know how many people I've argued with about carrying multiple phones. Its the most idiotic thing people can do in this age where phones with dual sims are everywhere

Someone defended himself by saying that there was always the possibility of calls coming in simultaneously on both sims...wtf???!!!

And I'm like do you frigging live to recieve calls or what?

LovePaprika said...

gosh..ur mom is funny oh! lol bf that is just big jokes...i wish i went to nij :(

Joy Isi Bewaji said...

happy new year bumight!

hope u had a great time in naija!

bumight said...

@Aphrodite: i did my dear! your case is not that bad, a landline is ok.

@oluwadee: yeah, it seems like all the weddings are crammed into those four weeks. thanks for checkin up on me.

@hot doug: lol @ ur friend, apparently phone calls are that important to some people.
you're the first person ive seen that hasnt defended the multiple phone thingy.

@misslove: dont worry love, i had enough fun for the both of us :)

@Isi: happy new year babes! i had a fab time, infact i had so much fun i forgot i was supposed to call to get ur book!

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com