twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

Justice for Aluu4: another perspective

My Friday was effectively ruined when I saw pictures of the four boys that were lynched in UNIPORT. I have seen bloodied bodies and all before, but this one was particularly disturbing. I know many people on twitter have said that this is common practice in Nigeria, however for hours I didn't know why I was so disturbed by the pictures/ videos.
On Saturday evening, I watched the video, and I was so shaken, I actually cried. Whether you believe they are guilty or not, we almost ALL agree that what was done to the boys was barbaric.

I finally realized why those pictures affected me the way it did. I read the story on the TL of one of their friends. These boys were from proper homes, obviously well to do families. There was even a picture of one of them on holiday in London, and a recording of their track. Two of them were aspiring rappers. It's not because they were fine boys, it's because they look like people close to me!

They could easily have been my friends or brothers or cousins. I know some of the stories floating around alleged they were cultists, but have you mixed with the wrong crowd before? Have you ever made mistakes in your life? I know many people who will give testimony of a time in their life when they foolishly tried stupid stuff (yahoo-yahoo, cab ja, etc). I know I have.

I watched the video, and I was reminded of Him who suffered the same fate. He was no thief, yet he was beaten the same way, tortured, then made to carry his own instrument of death when it was clear he was near exhaustion.

But they cried out, “Away with Him, away with Him! Crucify Him!”

Pilate then went out to them and said, “What accusation do you bring against this Man?” They answered and said to him, “If He were not an evildoer, we would not have delivered Him up to you.” (John 18:29, 30 NKJV)

Then they spat on Him, and took the reed and struck Him on the head. (Matthew 27:30 NKJV).

I know we are all clamouring for justice for the #Aluu4, but what about Justice for the one who died for you? I know I would have given my laptop and phones if I knew it would spare those boys' lives.

There are so many things we say as Christians that we don't really visualize. Maybe for this reason, I would actually challenge people to watch the video- as gory as it is, and know that someone took that kind of treatment - if not worse for your sake. The only way you can make his suffering count, and His death not be in vain is to live right.


6 comments:

Unveilinggold said...

Amen!!!!:)

Original Mgbeke said...

I refuse to watch the video, the pictures have already scarred me :-(

Real8 said...

i cant even bring myself to watch the video bumight, i only saw a couple pictures. i dont even want to. the thought of the gruesomeness is too much for me to handle.
this is really sad even more before no matter what we say or do or scream out now, it would not take back the torture, fear and death of those boys. i hope it saves the life of others.

Toinlicious said...

I can't watch the video. I'm still traumatised by the stories i've heard. I just can't deal.

Even animals don't get treated like that before they are killed

Geebee said...

I watched the video and almost found myself screaming my head off at the extent of barbarism on display there. Indeed we need a great deal of re-orientation in this country. I also like the way you viewed this from the perspective of Jesus suffering and dying for us. Indeed the best justice we can give is by living right!

Jide Salu said...

Well written....I trust you are well. Kindly join us at http://www.fb.com/aluu4song......it's a campaign to have the song "Ain't no love in the heart of the city" recorded with proceeds going to a good cause. We also hope to have an annual show to keep the memories of these young talented Nigerians going. Take care.

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com