twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Because Carlang said So

I've always been pretty normal. Nothing wierd happens to me, nothing wierd about me. I fall into the average category. I wake up, eat, sleep and in between do the same things average people do. I'm averagely tall, sized averagely (ok, a bit skinny), I basically don't fall into either of the extremes. So why did I get tagged on an "7 wierd things about me meme?" If there was that last confirmation I needed to know that I was so not wierd, it was being tagged.

For hours, I racked my brain trying to come up with wierd things about me. Maybe these things are so much a part of me that I don't consider them wierd. Here's my attempt...after thinking for almost 2 weeks. Damn! this was harder than JAMB and the MCAT put together!




1. I am very picky with my food.

If I can't pronounce it, I can't eat it. If I don't know what's in it, I'm not touching it. If I find out, it's still not going down my throat. Before u start thinking I'm anorexic or something, I'm not. I'm a healthy 1xx pounds, thank you. I think it started when I was very young. I wouldn't touch any okele (help! I can't translate that.), be it amala, eba or even pounded yam. Whenever it was time to eat it, my mom would tell me to sit on the floor beside her, my ever faithful pankere (cane) beside her. She'd take my meat and my water (u think it's panadol? she'd ask) till I finished eating. It usually took at least 2 hours. I wouldn't eat ewedu, or any drawing soup (still don't). In my adult years, I still don't eat any okele except pounded yam, I dont eat any drawing soup, and of late rice has started tasting like finely grounded sawdust. I don't like most american foods either.

2. I don't like coffee.

Coffee makes me puke. I don't care whether it's in a drink, candy, biscuit, cake, or whatever it's not going down my throat. I will not be tricked into drinking coffee, even if it is laced with caramel, hot or cold in any form or shape. So what if I have to stay up all night? It doesn't matter. I don't know what it is about coffee.

3. I used to have a morbid fear of driving

See, I grew up an overachiever, whatever I wanted to do, I did it. I rose to every challenge that ever presented itself....until driving came up, that is. I made no bones about learning how to drive. I didn't press for it, even when my sister was busy scheming how to sneak the car out. I was very apprehensive when I started learning in naija. You know how they first put you on the field, I ran into the goal post-nothing major. I learnt well, but I never drove after my lessons were over. I think it was the fear of going on the road with all the crazy danfo and okada drivers. Just as I was still nursing my fear about navigating through those two sets of weres, keke napeps came out. That was it. It put paid any driving adventures I might have had in naija. Maybe I was hit by a car in my first life, who knows? Now my driver's license is 7 months old. You should see me on the free way demonstrating my new found moves.

4. I google everything

If you ask me, Google is the eight wonder of the world. I don't know what I'd have done if I had been bone in the Slate-and-chalk days. I don't even bother arguing with people, I just google it.
I google in my spare time, I google everything and anything. I think I could pull up anything on google. I could even find out what u ate for dinner...on google.
and sometimes, I even google myself

5. I can't sleep with the lights off...if it's not my room

I remember one time when I went to my cousin's place. I woke up in the middle of the night, and NEPA had done their thang (there was light before I went to bed), I opened my eyes and couldn't see anything, first I couldn't get my bearings straight, and then I started freaking out. I felt like I was choking or something, so I ran to the window to get some air, which for some reason felt like it was thinning out. I placed my nose through the bars and was literally gulping air in and light. I had to wake my cousin up to light a candle. Same thing happens if I'm in a hotel room, or I move and have to sleep in my room for the first time. I think its kinda related to #6

6. I'm Claustrophobic

I enter elevators, and the first thing I think about is "I don't want to be stuck in this elevator!" I could survive in some of the roomier ones, but those shoe box ones. hell freaking no!. Funny thing is I actually got stuck in the elevator once. Thank God it was a roomy one.I kept telling myself "Don't freak out"

Luckily for me, I had my phone, and it was still working. Long story short, I spent about 15 mins calling up random people.

Never again!

For the next week, I started taking the stairs... and then I went back to the elevators.

7. I study on the porcelain throne.

Some people take a magazine or even a newspaper, I take my textbooks. Trust me, it beats the library hands down. That's how I studied and passed my SATs, MCATs and many college tests. The hardest concepts just seem to make more sense in that room. Maybe its the white tiles? Don't know why it works, but it does. wanna try it?

There! I did it. see, I'm not that wierd afterall. abi?

Please tell me I'm normal...

I tag little miss me, bighead and allied.



32 comments:

Initium said...

'Normal' is just a setting on the washing machine! Enjoy your life your way, girl, in and out of elevators!

Initium said...

'Normal' is just a setting on the washing machine! Enjoy your life your way, girl, in and out of elevators!

Unknown said...

hehehehehehehehe.... it is just the safety of the bathroom...:D

darkelcee said...

funny girl......

what is my favourite snack? please google it ok? lol!

this is cool

little miss me said...

yup..its confirmed..ur a weirdo,lol just joking
but i find it very odd that you don't eat them eba type foods,ur slowly hating rice and you don't like American food..what do u eat then?im worried o.

anonymous gal(retired blogger) said...

no 4 no 4. google its the eight wonder. finally someone agrees wit me.

desperate lady said...

Hahahahahaha ok your normal.................NOT!
Are you serious? You hate coffee? Wow!
Ok I've googled myslef before and I didn't tell anyone, now I've got myself a partner in crime(its not a crime right?)
As for anything that draws, girl just wait till I feed you my okro soup.
Elevators- I'm with you on that 1, I always feel sick when I'm in it eventhough I haven't been stuck before. Hope I don't ever get stuck.

bumight said...

@Acainto: lol, thanks for stopping by

@Pamelastitch: I don't know what it is o, but it works! thanks for stopping by

@darkelcee: I googled it, and you won't believe what I found

@little miss me:lol, don't be worried, I eat pounded yam, rice-only when it is jollof or fried rice, moin-moin, beans, lots of sandwiches,chinese food, should i go on? lol!

@anonymous gal: can I get a witness! I even have a google shirt!

@desperate lady: babes, it's not a crime, google on! I pray you don't get stuck in an elevator though...except it has a hunk/or ur secret crush in it though
how good is this okro soup that we are talkig about? maybe I can reconider

dScR?Be said...

the porcelain throne.... interesting

shhhh said...

porcelain throne.....oh bathroom,lol

Amelia said...

im a total google addict too.wrote a whole post on my blog about google.I also cant imagine how i ever found out anything before without google.ive googled myself (found nothing)and evryone i know.i thought i was hte only one who does that.lol!

i love coffee!

Jayn Sean said...

Oh my..you are no tserious, are you? You don't like coffee? Mehnnn!

But yeah..i don't think you are that weird!..lol..

how you dey?

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

oh my...well, I hate to burst your bubble, bumight, but studying in the toilet is kinda weird. lol!

And, I can't believe that you do not like eba!

This was nice to read...

bumight said...

@2cor 5:17- porcelain throne sounds more "tush" than toilet bowl innit?

@TLKS: I know, lol!

@mona: I'm going to go check out ur google post. yeah, how did the world work without google for so long?

@jaybabe: yeah, I DONT like coffee o! I'm cool my sister, u?

@solomonsydelle: for real, it works, If I'm trying to read something and i don't understand it, I just take my book to the 'mini library' and bam! i just start understanding it.
there!- I jsut made myself another bubble

Anu boy said...

nice blog you have here oh...

Simi Speaks said...

lol.. too funny.

I was cracking up about you hating the dark when you sleep. I DO TOO...It's funny because I think am passing my fears onto my 4 month old daughter. I have like 6 night lights in her room when she sleeps. WHO in the world needs SIX night lights on?

Took me a hot minute to figure out what porelain throne was. (thx to last king..)

UnNaked Soul said...

sweetness!!! lol

Carlang said...

Lol.
I knew there was a weird mind behind all the cuteness.Welcome to weirdom.
Aw shuks.
I love your blog title.
it;s so sweet.lol.

So..
It's been almost a week since your last post. If i was to guess i'd say you were:
A) Studying for some test.
b) Planning for the Yuletide.
c) Hanging out with some guy who can get enough of kissing you.
d) All of the above.

WHerever you are. Whatever you do. Make sure you have a lot of fun. Go out. Go crazy.Enjoy the season.
and yes...that's a quote.
have fun.
Carlang says so!

tinted UNtrue said...

girl alot of wierd things do happen u dont like coffee men u're missing. nice post

Unknown said...

:-)

google is the 8th wonder of the world..

36 INCHES OF BROWN LEGS said...

why odes everyone think studying ind loo is weird? i did dat a lot at uni o, in fact i took mien a step furtehr and used to take one of those movable desks in with me, complete with pen and notepad, it was really cool, then again im weirder than most ppl but it really works sha.

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, this is so funny.How could I have missed this?

From your list of don't eats what exactly is left seeing as you have banned everything? Girl that google thing is a wonder oh.I google every definition i need as well as pictures.I just google random words for fun of what comes out.

Orientatednaijababe said...

Girl, how 9ja dey treat u. hope u don go buy the goody goody u dey bring 4 me. Enjoy d rest of ur stay

Anonymous said...

@anuboy: thanks for stopping by1

@simi: abeg spare the poor child o! dnt let her inherit your weirdness.

@unnaked: ???? lol!

@carlang: why wont u like the blog title when ur name is there ehn?
neways, I'm trying to enjoy some of the naija sun for now. too lazy to go to cybercafes so i cnt update till i get back. happy new year!!!

@mirage: how am i missing out? coffee tastes and smells yucky! , lol!

@pamelastitch: babes, they don't understand! google is the shiznit!

@honeywell: any hopes I had left about driving in naija is now permanently crushed!

@36: oga mi! ur own wierdness is on another level, portable desk in the loo ke?

@positive girl: I have the things i eat my sista, i think i wrote a list on a reply to a comment.

@ONB: Naija is treating me fine o, only if nepa would do the same. don't worry, i'll email ur gifts to u, lol!

Joy Isi Bewaji said...

lol! happy holidays dear!

Orientatednaijababe said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR.....

Allied said...

Happy New Year. I fiannly did your tag. I also study in the bathroom. it feels like i process more in there.

Owumi said...

Come back! I have nothing to read when I should be working anymore :(

bighead said...

Finnally, I come around to reading the post and the one-line tag at the bottom. My response would come sometime in the distant future.

I didn't like swallowables too when I was young but I now eat fufu for lunch almost everyday(eba too light?). Neither did I like beans and I eat it everyday for breakfast. My point: You might outgrow ur wierdnesses and perhaps acquire new ones *wink*.

Maybe one day yu'll start studying in elevators, sleep in toilets and fear yur room when its well lit.

Happy New Year.

Naapali said...

So why did i miss this post earlier? Most of your weirdities (that is not a word) are relatively common amongst weirdos like bloggers except for that coffee one. I dont know how u will survive the rest of med school and residency sans coffee. I know caffeine pills are available but coffee tastes better.
As for all the toilet readers, beware of jedi-jedi, nuff said!

bumight said...

@bighead: u wish! swallowables- that's what they are called!

@Naapali: I'm trying to survive o. here's my strategy- when I feel sleepy, I just...sleep! it's been working so far. lol!

Roc said...

Intriguing..

I've heard 'white house' but never 'porcelain throne'

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com