they told me all those bullcrap, they told us all as kids. Don't get me wrong, these were serious words of wisdom that have helped shaped my character. One of which I remember:
Always Pick the one in front of you
I'm guessing the morale had something to do with greed or something like that. So when I was younger, going to parties (in our auntie-gimme-cake-I'm-dancing-well dresses) were the rave, and the highlight of the parties was always dance, food, cake and gift bag -not in that particular order. I always looked forward to the cake part, and the way they usually did it was an "aunty" would come by with a tray and you had to pick one. I always picked the one in front of me, just like my mama taught me BUT it was always the smallest piece! or the one with the least icing!! It happened all the time. Then I said to myself, when I grow old (and have money), I would buy a whole cake, put it between my legs, and eat the whole thing!
I never got the chance to do it. I can afford to buy a whole cake, put it between my legs and eat the whole thing BUT now I can't stand more than a slice of cake- or two.
I don't remember eating a lot of plantain as a child. I remember it was a luxury back then. Infact, we used to be excited whenever my mom bought plantain home. We asked her one time why we didn't eat it more often and she said it was because of me! Apparently whenever she made beans and plantain, dear young bumight would pick all the plantain on top and say she's full! So my mom got mad and refused to feed us plantain more often. At one point, I said to mysel, when I grow old (and have money), I would buy a bunch of plantain, fry it, and make a whole meal out of it!
Now: I can't stand that much plantain. After about 5 pieces, I'm done.
Speaking of beans, At some point we used to eat beans every afternoon-as in monday to friday! My mom (who usually cooked in bulk) would make a whole bunch of beans to last the week and put it in the freezer. Every morning before we went to school, she'd bring it out to thaw and that woudl be our lunch. I promised myself that once I made it out of their house, I'm not eating beans ever in my life again!
Now: I cook beans every so often. Infact, I just finished my ewa agoyin (you know the way those women make it?). Beans is one of the few naija foods I still enjoy eating!
Still on this beans issue, Just the way we ate beans every afternoon, we had these neighbors that ate indomie noodles every afternoon. As in, every morning before they went to school, their mom would bring out two packs of noodles for the both of them to eat for lunch. How I so envied them. I would trade my beans for their noodles in a heartbeat! Yet again, I said to myself, when I grow old, I would eat noodles like its going off the market.
Now: I eat noodles, but not like its going off the market. I don't see the biggie in it anymore.
Another food that I ABSOLUTELY hated as a child is Amala. Our relationship has been sour for as long as I remember. My dad told me that he caught me telling my sister when I was very young: "oooo mummy is making that black horrible food again!" Needless to say, he was shocked, I don't remember the incident. All I remember is, we always had to stay in the kitchen with my mom whenever she was making dinner.
Usually she would start by putting water in a pot.
1. If it was rice, she'd wait a few minutes, then wash the rice in. yay!
2. If it was one of the swallowables, she'd wait and wait and wait and wait....
i) if it was Amala, she'd bring out the blue bucket that had the yam flower in it.
Everytime she put water on, I'd be secretly hoping she doesn't wait too long before returning to the kitchen to wash the rice in. I used to be forced to eat amala back then. She would collect my meat and water (the cane was always nearby) till I finished my food. I DETERMINED that I wouldn't eat amala once I got out of their house.
Now: I don't eat that black horrible food, yay! - that is until I went home last december. My mom conned me into eating it: "its not that black, and its very soft. the efo is rich....yada yada". I ate it just to console her, lol! At a stage, I was full, but I was still forcing myself to eat it. Then it just hit me: I'm grown, she can't beat me or force me to eat anymore jo!
I'm still not willingly doing that ish sha.
I used to jump up and down and be visibly excited to eat rice. Whenever my mom went on night duty (she's a nurse and usually does about 4 in a row), we'd eat rice for dinner the entire time she was gone. She usually had days off following every night shift stretch, so on her days off, she would make sure we didn't eat rice those 4 days. I used to fantasize about eating rice EVERYDAY once I started living on my own.
Now: I can't stand white rice! It tastes like wood shavings! I still love jollof-rice and fried rice though.
PS: Thanks to everyone that suggested names for my car. I must admit some of the suggestions were hilarious! I have decided to call her Aduke; AK for short. Aduke means Beloved.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

43 comments:
lol...funny post...interesting how those childhood experiences shape us as adults...i can't stand custard because my dad forced me to eat when younger...i of course threw the rubbish up and have never touched it again...[i can never eat creme brulee!]...
...i like the name you chose for your car...its cute...
Now i know am weird, my best food has always been amala and beans- i swear till today i eat beans like its going out of fashion and yep..........i fart like there's no tomorrow (wink)
we too had a blue bucket...but it was for Garri...
and I too used to say "when I grow up...."
Like "when i grow up, I will be so much taller than my mum that she will be unable to talk to me."
Result: We are the same height!!!!!!!!!!!!
haaa,
lawl@Now: I can't stand white rice! It tastes like wood shavings!
I can eat rice 24/7 without lele and i mean it
Beans no way!
I was just telling a friend about how I used to hide food that I didn't want to eat...but my mom would end up finding it and force me to eat it...thank God those days are over.
lol. What a truly funny post. But abeg come o, apart from beans, wetin you come dey chop? Oyinbo food? hmmm.
Congrats on your car. Nice name too. Never got round to naming mine.
any kinda food wil do for me so long its tasty ....lol
besides i think i enjoy eating too much to have one as best of all...lmao
I love plantain with a passion...yummie
pls give me plantain anyday anytime and i'll eat it, i looooooove plantains, thats all i ate when i visited naija.
as for amala....never tried it and never will.
i use jiffy n mashed potatoes(mixed 2geda) to eat my soup.
will be back to read this
im blushing seriously...you read the whole thing? I cringe at the thought of doing that..there are somethings I write, i cant believe I put on the world wide web
..
that was a nice write up..
In summary
the things we did not like we now like, the things we liked, we dont like and somethings we will never like no matter what...and the whole "take whats in front you", teaches we should not settle for less..lol
a
awwwww @ when I grow up (I would buy a bunch of plantain..thats cute!lol
Plantain 24/7 can never go wrong for me. So howz aduke doing?
oo i feeel u on the Amala stuvs...my momsie too forces the hell out of me to eat it..i can jus fathom eatin that food mehn....
lollllll...awww..."Aduke"...precious name!!!!
I like efo...and plantain, and beans, and white rice and stew...lol.
AK, I can live with that...though I preffered Jezebel...JZ for short...love ur post...very you..
so many things we planned to do..I planned to have sex everyday,Now I can barely get in the mood unless I am talking about it!!!
Kai, I feel like deleting that last comment...Can't I ever post a comment without any mention of sex??? my life ehhh
Who deleted my comment!!!
Neways, Aduke is a beautiful name, your classmates may think you have royal notions hence naming your car a duke but you can always correct them.
My childhood fantasy of food revolved around Gala. My ambition for adulthood was that I would buy a box of Gala (48) eat all at one sitting then close out with Dutch Milk Bar as dessert. A crate of Fan Ice would be the drink of choice.
@Gnigeriana: so its custard for u? lol!
@naija chick: thanks for the warning! nah, u aint wierd, u are just...patriotic? lol!
@catwalq: we still have that blue bucket after all these years!, lol @ being only as tall as ur mom.
@darkelcee: so u are one of those rice fanatics abi?
@rayo: hide food in my house? do u want to die? cos the way they would shishi you ehn.
@naija chickito: do u really want me to start?
1. jollof rice
2. fried rice
3. pounded yam
4. yam
5. Spaghetti
should i still go on?
@ms emotions: I like ur style jare, anything goes. gosh! my mom would so love u!
@sha: we've got a plantain addict in the house!
@Dl: oya come back and explain ur jiffy/mashed potatoes sturves.
@Zephi: did i tell u i enjoyed every single post? (are u blushing some more?, lol)
there u go! all those lessons about summary in english class in naija wasn't wasted on u. see how she summarized my whole post in 3 lines!
@pink satin:lol, I really felt that way o, had i known that i wouldn't feel that way after a couple of years *shakes head*
@honeywell: you hated ur auntie-gimme-cake dresses? I loved mine! and ur mom used to bribe u to eat eba? mercy me!, my own meal of eba usually came with either the cane or the omorogun.
@rinsola: another plantain addict. Aduke is fine o, she's being absolutely wonderful. I'll let her know u asked after her.
@kiki: so I'm not alone sha? I thought i was the only one.
@jaycee: In short, u like all naija food, lol!
@Afrobabe: who else can turn a post about food into a discussion about sex? ladies and gentlemen, I give u the one and only AFROBABE!!! LOL!
PS: if u had deleted that comment, I'd have helped u repost it, lmao!
@Napaali: nobody deleted ur comment o!
Gala o my broda, gala o my sister...
I didn't even allow myself to dream of eating a whole box of gala, that would have been too...ambitious? lol!
lol, im not experienced in anything o, i wish...
too sleepy, i'll b back
have a good one!
hated amala too, like it now (depending on mood).
had a lot of 'when i grow up' things too, favourite being to get out of bed anytime i wanted. alas, it has not happened as work always seems to beckon.
As a kid I could give an eye for a cup of ice-cream. Now am not that crazy about it anymore. Funny how with time/age certain things don’t matter so much to us anymore.
its y they say the childhood is very important. it either makes u or it breaks u.
been seeing ur blogname but always pronounce it bumtight till i lokked better.
I guess we all had foods we hated as children. I couldnt stand tuwo...i still cant stand it.
But how can u not love amala?
Amala is divine. Abula [amala with bean soup and whipped jute leaves] is the food of gods. You dont know what u are missing.
@Jinta: lol @ waking up anytime, used to think the same thing whenever my mom comes to wake us up with 'abara' for sleeping past 9am.
@princesa: true that.
@Uzezi: very true words.
bumtight? hmnn *thinking* maybe I should try that name...
@ablackjamesbond: how can i not love amala? love and amala in the same statement? puhlease! lol. u need to explain this Abula thing o, cos it doesn't seem like I'm going to enjoy 'dining with the gods' afterall.
hehe nice post, but i wouldnt say im a child now, because i can do and eat what i want, but the things u didnt want to do when u left home is what i want to do now, funny!
but yh i get the whole concept of what u mean
I used to love cake and ice cream when i was young. I was in love with cake though. I'm so surprised i don't like cake or ice cream anymore now that i can eat it to my heart's content.
You guys had to eat bean everyday? I would have died. WE absolutely refused to eat beans in my house growing up and my mom was too sweet to force us to eat what we didn't want.
This was a nice post though. Made me remember the good old days.
Ah! I so feel you on the birthday cake and icing, and me too, when i grow up, I was gonna make my own "party cake" with thick icing and all....unfortunately, they never taste like those naija cakes do they? Also, I was never going to eat beans or eba again for as long as i live....left to me, I would eat plantain every single day, plantain and ketchup!
Great post, brought back so many memories!
nice post.
definitely food for thought
very nice post!! Come can you teach me to make Ewa Agoyin?
I dont eat food i was forced to eat as a child. Lol.. i was also one of those children that eat and cry at the same time cause my aunt always had a cane beside her when we are eating
She will seize my meat until i finish my food.
the keeping meat aside to the end of the meal is just so, i mean it was the light at the end of the tunnel...no wonder some people rush their meat in adulthood imaging their mothers standing by...lol.
plantain still rocks my world oh, as in anytime anyday...
come, how come its so so food u're reminising about eh?
how hungry are u girl?lol
like ozav said...definately a food for thot.
@F&F: one word- wierdo!
@sting: best believe it, monday to friday. sweet mother indeed! lol
@waffarian: plantain and ketchup? that's a new one.
@ozav: food for thought indeed!
@allied: sure, why not. it'll cost u though. u sound like my lil niece. she's the current cane and food expert.
for the ewa agoyin, just make sure the beans is veeeery soft, easily broken but not too watery. then u fry the pepper in palm oil until ur smoke alarms go off literally!, lol! until the pepper is black, spice normally bt add crayfish and voila!
now I'm expecting my payment. thanks in advance!!
@fantasy queen: so u are the one ehn? the night i posted this, i was sure someone left a comment asking me why it was all about food. i came online to reply the comment and apparently it was a dream.
the meat was definitely the light at the end of the tunnel, even now I save my meat till the end!
Hey Silly Girl...thought you'll never see me here right? Duh! Jaybabe is back on your page again.
Congrats on getting your self a new set of wheels, but please Babedoc, no silly playing in that car ooo! abeg,
Where's Afro? Afrababe, please tell this gal no silly stuffing in that car oo!..use you bedroom..lol..jokin'..will be back to read line by line girl, busy kind of..
just saw this post...how do u think of these things???
funny....real funny
@jaybabe: ha! please o! what stuffing? I don't know what u r talking about o! don't corrupt me, lol!
@freaksho: I don't know myself, I'd just say...ok, couple of days before this post, I was studying and I felt like snacking, so I walked to my pot of soup and looked for an unlucky piece of chicken and just took it and ate. Then I thought to myself "I've always wanted to do that", and I guess i just started remembering stuff.
ok, I lied before, I know how I thought of these things!
@obinwanne: so u've decided to stop by mines again? how've u been?
Your mum and my mum must have met previously in some "Feed your kids" conference cos we ate beans every afternoon too. The interesting thing is that we aren't too tall in my family and some folks tend to make comments like "Maybe your mum didn't give yu guys enough protein when yu were small". What a joke.
I also have this scar on my forehead...reminder of one evening when I was jumping around in the kitchen with joy. The reason for my joy: Mum was making FRIED RICE!
this is oddddd... i would've sworn i left a comment on this particular post cos i've read it... blogger ate my comment abi is there something ur not telling me bumight? i need to be appeased oh cos my blood dey hot!!!!! on another note.. this babe ur too funny.. and cute..
lol.i called those dresses mama tie me 4 bac.
awww..u just took me down memory lane. Aside from the fact that all our parents used to force us to eat stuff we didn't like, growing up in Nig, especially going to those 'baiday' parties, was fun.
The loathed food for me was amala when I was younger...I can eat it now if I really have to but I've never learnt to cook it (I wonder why)...
I'm new to blogville but I already love your blog!
lmao! that was a funny post!
the beans part is soo true though...they said it made you grow and my mom claimed I was so small because I wasn't eating my beans!
Now I know otherwise and I eat beans only when I have the craving for it- which is not very often!
Post a Comment