I remember sitting in class, if I remember clearly it must have been pri 3, I think I was 6 then. There was this popular girl in my class, Doyin, she was also very pretty. I really really wanted her name.
Growing up, I really hated my name. I would sit down and wonder why my parents did not give me any of the really cool names. What could have gone wrong? were all the cool names taken before it was my turn or something?
I think that because I didn't know of any namesakes, that just fuelled my hatred for the name. I couldn't for the life of me come to terms with why my parents decided to do this to me. I looked at all the cute and popular girls in pri school then, and I was sure that their "cute" names added to their appeal.
Why didn't they name me Kunbi? That was the name I wanted for a while. Then I wanted to be called Halima. I wouldn't even have minded Funmi or even Nkechi. Why did it have to be bumight*?
So one day, I mustered enough courage and asked papa bumight for the meaning of my name. He told me the meaning of my name. Then I asked him why he picked that name, and he said God led him to choose that name for me. In my little head, I was wondering why God didn't lead him to choose a cuter name for me.
By the time I got into high school, I was learning to live with my name....finally. I think I got a better appreciation for my name when I started learning my native language at age 11 (story for another blog). By the time I finished high school, I had 2 nameskes in my class alone, and I think that made me realise that my name wasn't that bad afterall.
Now I love love love my name, although sometimes a tiny part of me still wants another name. I even like the funkified version of my name (the way my american friends pronounce it).
I FRIGGING LOVE MY NAME!!!!!!
*not real name
Addendum: So I just bought my car (yay!! no more walking in the cold, no more drive-thru 'toastings', no more of that cat chasing me at night... anyways I digress) and I'm having trouble coming up with a befitting name. Any suggestions?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

50 comments:
1st. will be back to read. lova ya....muah
i think 'bumight' is a cute name lol...i also loooove my name,if not for this anonymous thing i would totally use it,the fact that i've never met anyone with my name except for some model i once saw on tv once makes it so special..
aniway new car eh? hmm enjoyment o! so what are you going to name your car?
i hated my name for a while, then i grew older and guys would say twas exotic and just trip for my trads name,
oh man i droped that english name like it was hot, altho i still use it.
congrats on ur car.
one question tho 'chased by a cat? lol i would love to see that sight.
I also have a love and hate relation with my name. Almost everyone that hears it raise an eyebrow...
"why were you named that? but you are a girl? omg, you are a junior to your dad? are u the last born? na wa for your parents oh"
I have come to love my name..
I know how u feel about ur name.
When i was in JSS 1 I told my friends to call me the English translation of my yoruba name, i got so used to the English version, that the name "ONB" ceased to exist in school....It backfired on parents evening when no-one knew who ONB was, and my grandma was very confused.......After the shame on that day, i embraced my name...
I now love my name, esp when i think of the meaning
Congrats on ur car......Enjoy it
@DL: I'm waiting for u
@LMM: is ur name Tyra or smthng? lol! that means u have an English name? I would have killed for an english name back then. It's all good now though. I'm still researching names o. what do u suggest? Akanke? lmao!
@Fantasy queen: guys trip for ur name? that's hot!
when I used to walk home from school at night, there's this apartment in a complex I walk through that had like at least 6 cats, one of them used to follow me from a distance EVERY SINGLE TIME.
@allied: Better enjoy the attention ur name's bringing you. There are some male names that are hot for girls like femi etc.
@ONB: so u were one of those people that used to answer a different name at home, school, lesson, church. My ex also did the same thing once, he made everyone at his new school call him by his nickname, and one day his mum came to look for him in school. apparently he had told her to ask for XXX or else she wouldn't be able to find him. She came to school asking for his real name, nobody knew him untill she asked for xxx, lol!
i always had a thing for unconventional names...mine is not one of them but i have a couple of friends who have such luck.
congrats on the car.
Call ur car "BUMIGHT." Lolll
Congrats on the car....and lol on ur story of longing desperately for another name!!!
Oh, yeah...my name is sooo unconventional...love it! I don't have any namesakes (well except for one NTA news reporter some yrs back)...woohoo!!!
hated my name. succeded in gettin pple to call me my 2nd name now i want my old name bac as it is unique.
Ooh! Congrats on your new car. You should name her Kitty.
I love my name so I can't really comment on that aspect.
Oh gosh I hate my name. It sounds so ghetto. When people hear me on the phone, most think I am White until I tell them my name. Always wanted to be Victoria or Elizabeth. LOL
Congrats on your new car!!!!!! No more having to wait for others to pick you up anymore. Thank God for blessings.
@Incgnaija: thanks!
@jaycee: I can't exactly be namesakes with my car shey? sometimes I wish I didn't have any namesakes, unny cos back then I was dying for one, lol!
@anon gal: you are one of those people also? lol!
@rayo: kitty ke? will think on it. Enjoy your name jare
@QOMC: awww do u want a naija name?
yeah, its true about the waiting or pple to pick you up stuff. Now I'll be the one picking people up. hehehe
lol queen of my castle i'm guessing ur name is either Shaniqua, Bolisha or jaquita, so which 1 is it?
Bumight Bumight Bumight, is that ur real name? if it is then i like it.
I haven't actually had any problems with ma name, i think it's sexy n i love d way it comes out off some nigga's tongue wen i'm givin them a blow job*coughs k too much info*
ehen so as i was sayin,i really appreciated my name more when i heard names such as Ekaette, akpan, Ekwutte and Garristone.
pls if u own any of those names mentioned, don't be angry pls....i'm just glad i wasn't called that.
wow! so bumight is ur real name!i hate my name and i still do!!
i grew up in the us...so, you can imagine that...the stupid ass jokes, the mispronounciations, etc...i used to ask my parents why they couldn't have named me something that made it obvious i was a black american like nakisha or lakeema or even michelle...
...and then i realized, because i am not...i grew to love my name, the fact that i was named after my grandmother and the fact that it had a meaning which resonated with my spirit...it's funny now, because i love it and wouldn't change it for the world...it's a great conversation starter...haha...it fools folks who always think i am igbo (i am not igbo-and they always ask for the rest of my name, which there isn't anymore for mine) or a latino/italian boy...haha...
...congrats on the car...can't wait till i get one...i need more details...make, year, color, that sort of info...if female, some names include: paula, bella, lucia, sade, nkechi...if male: kelechi or kel for short, donny, mauro, ike...
Yes, Kitty...but looking back on it...Kitty is a pretty razz name for a car.
I've always loved my name. Growing up i never met anyone with the same name as me, although now i have found about 2 or 3 pple with my name. If the truth be told my name sounds funny but i loved it cos no one else had it.
I'm glad u've grown to love ur name. Congrats on getting ur cars. I can't wait to get mine.
Love that u've come to appreciate ur name. I wanted to be dsandra, then celine and t=destiny at some point. NOW i love my ame and the shortened version.
U cld name ur car Nessie.
looking forward to more posts
hmm, i never liked my name too. i told my parent once that the name is obsolete. it was answered by people in the 50s.i dont even know the meaning.
I started falling in love with the name when i resumed work and everyone called me the full name!
i didnt have a name sake in my entire organisation till last year. then i realised i was unique.
@DL: I don't even know what to say to u!!, lmao!!! the way your name rolls of a nigga's tongue when u blowing him??? I'm glad u like it though, lol!
@Pinqsatin: It's not my real name. why don't u like ur name?
@guerriranigeriana: At first I wasn't cool with the mispronounciations, but now I correct people so they say my name properly.
I think I've come up with a name for the car. don't want to drop too many details on the car, :-( bt its a 2002.
@honeywell: drive-thru toasters are the dudes that drive by you while u're legging it and they start following u with their car trying to get u to come in, lol!
@Rayo: yeah, kitty is pretty razz, I want a naija name, lol!
@bubbles: Glad u like ur name, hope u get ur ride soon!
@chizom: I can see why u wanted dsandra, lol!
@darkelcee: you have one of those 50s name? I'm sooooo jealous!
Then how about Titi? It's kinda similar to Kitty...?
.....
....
No? ok...
nah! Titi is definitely out of it! (will blog about that next)
I think I got it though!
Bumight...really funny post!
I never had issues with my name...its a very popular/common name,lol!
I call my car babygirl.Sounds cute abi? Your's could be babyboy,lol!
List of posible car names?\
Motor Car.
My Vroom vroom.
Shadowfax.
My four wheeled answer to horses.
The doctormobile.
Carl.
WHisky.
Bingo.
The old bird.
My ride.
BMW. (Bumight's motor whiz!)
See my book..
How to pick a name for your first car for more help.
Sells at $15.99
@princessa: pshew! how do u know my car is a boy? my car is a shic! as in omoge proper!. Glad u like ur name.
@carl: did u actually put ur name on the list? lol! as I said to princesa earlier, my car is a babe or else I'd have been leaning towards carl, lmao! does Carla sound nice enough?
Happy vals day sweets.
congrats on the car....and on finally loving ur name...heheheheh
happy vals day babes
Only one name is appropriate for a new car.
Jezebel.
You don't have to thank me:D.Happy V day.
lol,. i tut ure name was bumight lol..
anyhoo, i love my name, o matter how much people,useless the name. in school, the teacher would call everyone elses name with no stress,when it comes to mine, instead of her to read the one she can read,over sabi,go one read the whole name..just mess my whole name up..rubbish.
anyhoo,congrats for your car
xx
having been saddled with a unisex name, i wished, as a teenager, i had a totally, obviously masculine name like Gbenga or Muyiwa. now, i cannot imagine myself without my name - it seems to be part of my anatomy
i suggest 'anike' for your car
I tried to send u an email but i couldn't.
congrats o! we must wash am o! lol!!!
@DL: Happy Vals day...but then I already said so on your blog!
@Afrobabe: thanks babes. I'm sure ur exams went well.
@nine: Jezebel? try again!
@F&F: you need to see how they battered my name during graduation, and that is even after I sounded out my name on paper. the guy tried and tried and finally gave up! people just started clapping!!
@jinta: I know a couple of guys that answer to my name also. I wouldn't mind having a male name though :-)
thanks for stoppin by!
@sting: what did I do? hope I'm not in trouble o...It wasn't me, I swear!, lol!.
my email is bumight@gmail.com
@isi: sure! u bring the soap and I'll bring the water!
How about 'Car'? Just that. Car. Huh?
yep my exams went well...Aced it...
How was vals?
I like the Jezzebel name too...lol
My name is semi-Unique (special enough to not being tagged as pure water)but I hated in pry school cos i was the only person wt that name, even in high school, about 3 of us throughout the 6 yr duration and none in ma class, this officially confirmed my naive mind that my parents were my foster parents as my sis had cuter names i believed. Then i grew up and everyone calls my name esply guys with a certain lingering note and I absolutely love it....also, its not that common and the britico way of saying it is so cute and really funky, so yep, I love mi name.
congrats on ur car oh, am getting one soon as well.
Thanks for stopping by my blog.
Kai fresh n fab now I'm wonderin wut ur name is lol.
Babes update na, see afrobabe was bloggin instead of readin n she aced her exams so ma advice to u is "blog more n read less".
@Idemmili: car? as in motocar?
@Afrobabe: of course u'll like the jezebel name! glad u aced ur exams. Val's day was like any other normal day (went to school, came back, studied and went to bed), except that my baby got me a phone for val!!!
@Naija chic: I see we were in the same boat, lol! when u get ur car, make sure u blog about it o!
@DL: I'll be updating soon. maybe tonight *hush, its a secret*. Don't know about afrobabe's blog more read less formula o! Abeg, don't let me fail o!, as it is I'm already on blogger too much for my own good.
lmao@ carlang!...
Congrats on the car Ms. B and hope your exams went well.
@DL u never cease to amaze me with the breadth and color of your comments.
Only if you give me the Naija name.
@napaali: this set of exams went well. have another in a few!
@Queen: I'll do the research now, now before I hook u up, do u want a yoruba/Ibo name? lol!
i didn't hate mine like that but the thought never seemed to stop crossing my mind...I came back from school one day in Pry.1, followed my mum about the house for about 30minutes asking her to change my name to Obinna...of course she handled it in a way that ensured that conversation was never reoccurred...anyway, i'm customising my surname soon...of course with my father's consent
@baroque: customizing ur surname? pls elaborate...
Lol - when I was younger I used to look for my name on key chains (I have an Igbo name)... I never found it - I still look sometimes too... I used to think if only someone with my name would become famous then maybe I could get a key chain... still waiting...
oh...wow
umm..ur name is bumlight? Stupid me, i thot the name was just for show!!..oh i hate feeling stupid!!..sigh*
ok ok...i actually like it. Kunbi ke? no offense to anyone buh...naaah
Post a Comment