twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Friday, March 7, 2008

F is for fuck up!

Excuse my french, but that's how I feel right about now. yeah,...yet again another whinning post.
I was introduced to this dreaded curse in freshman year of college. When it was time to apply for summer programs and internships, it was the same thing over and over again.
US citizens and Permanent Residents only.
It didnt even matter if you had a perfect 4.0 and some other person had a 3.0.
By sophomore year, I got used to it. Before I filled out any applications, I just scanned right to the end to the part where it says:
US citizens and Permanent Residents only.
There's this research program that I applied to in my school that is the cause of this post. As usual, I scanned through the application looking for those infamous words, and IT WASN'T THERE.
so I appllied.
I went to see the program coordinator and then he told me he could only award the placements to:
US citizens and Permanent Residents only.
The annoying thing about the whole process is that those placements had NOTHING to do with how good ur application was, ur research experience or anything. I don't think he even read the applications yet.
My friends pretty much got to cherrry-pick where they wanted to go, what programs they wanted to do and there was a big F-1 (student visa) beside my name.
I am so pissed, I almost cried.
I am still pissed.
This would have been the easiest appliction process ever and the programs are great.
Right now, I have seriously vexed and I'm going to go get married to my citizen toaster.
o ti su mi!
*tears*

30 comments:

UnNaked Soul said...

pele babe...
*hug*

Femi Adeyemi said...

guess its a subtle reminder we never really belong no matter how they sugarcoat their democracy..ajoo o le dabi ile..
i feel u, ive had a similar experience applying for jobs in the uk, even jobs i'm overqualified for i still get the standard rejection letters..
i console myself with the thoughts that maybe God has a different plan for me...u could think the same too..
and i guess u were kidding abt the marriage bit..
goodluck though and take good care

Hephzibah said...

*kisses and hugs* darling...

then pray about it cos moi have had sum policy changing experinces by Him, so talk to Him about it and he will guide you to what's best for you. Take heart sha, rmbr, if its meant to be urs, norrin can separate u from it.

now to citizen toaster- why not if it worths it? *wink*

Flourishing Florida said...

madam, abeg no too vex o. na so life be wen u dey anorda person land. Manage eh. U fit voluteer 4 any of these international NGOs wey full naija

bumight said...

@unnaked: thanks hun!

@the genius: yeah, they do like to rub it in.

@naija chic: I sure will.

@florida: volunteer? food for thought.

Afrobabe said...

awwwwww...that's so sad...take it easy babes and look properly,I am sure you will find something soon....

cally-waffybabe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nine said...

Wait,you want to do an Anna Nicole Smith?Make sure he/she is feelthy rich.After all,if you're gonna eat a toad,you might as well eat a big one.

Lol.

But seriously,check out the volunteer thing to Third World countries(such as our Naija).They usually have openings,particularly if you're from a US school.AND they usually cover feeding and accomodation.

Whether or not that gives you points with your academic program depends on your school so do your research lady.And enjoy spring break.

Orientatednaijababe said...

Been tryin to access ur blog for awhile now, the url i had was not going through....Glad to finally be back on ur blog.

Don't give up going for what u want, u will eventually get it.

anonymous gal(retired blogger) said...

sorry dear. enya do u want me to come and karate them 4 u? im on my way.

Anonymous said...

Awww i feel you jare, I experience the same thing here in the UK because I'm still using a student visa. It does make life difficult for us...And about the citizen-toaster, i'm behind u jare, just make sure he is rich. HEHEEHE

guerreiranigeriana said...

sorry o!!...this country is funny like that...don't let it vex you too much...it is their loss...but i know the thing is painful...

...did you even find the pic of the boxer briefs?...

Zayzee said...

i feel ur pain

Uzo said...

Aww...Pele...And dont marry just any other citizen toaster...LOL..Make sure you love him...Seriously though...Dont stress..

Jinta said...

ok, there seems to be a war going on somewhere, and it has spilled on to your comments page

Brilliantly Me said...

Eiyaa...pele. I'll help you search for a citizen toaster.

Ms. emmotions said...

dont get uself worked up dear, just see it as one of them crazy things....

Jennifer A. said...

lol...its so funny I was talking to two people last night abt this F-1 thingy. It can get frustrating...but if it has worked out for our F-1 ancestors, it must work out for us o...(lol). Seriously speaking tho, it will work out somehow...don't worry! Try not to stress urself abt it...

Joy Isi Bewaji said...

it will be well dearie...

princesa said...

Too bad. It's their loss not urs dear.

This 'citizen' thing is everywhere o! I almost got a job in one of the oil multinationals in our own dear naija but was told that they were giving preference to people from the Niger Delta first. the thing pain me enh...no be small!

Anonymous said...

lmao i know this wasnt meant to be funy.. but the citizen part was real jokes...
...this sucks though... keep ur head up sha my dear

Allied said...

Eya.. pele oh..

Naapali said...

Pele. Having walked the walk from F-1 to PR to citizen I have seen the whole spectrum. The ideas for volunteering are good. Nigeria still qualifies for DV-1 so play away. It worked for me and my first cousin so it can work for you.

As for citizen over others, reverse the situation, and Naija is no better

Ms. Catwalq said...

those bloody bagas...

please calm down. another one will come. I know.

Ms. Catwalq said...

those bloody bagas...

please calm down. another one will come. I know.

Anu boy said...

all will be well... no worries... you will get what you are looking for... you will def find it oh

NaijaScorpio said...

It's really quite annoying. I applied to the Robert McNair program when i was a sophomore and was kicked out of the process cos i didn't have a green card. I finally got a green card and i wanted to work at the CDC but u have to be a citizen.

How about the health professionals scholarship program for the military? They don't care u have a green card, u have to be a citizen. So it's really quite annoying.

soupasexy said...

pele babez
just marry the toaster and divorce him when u get ur papers..lol j/k

flawsandall said...

welcome to my world..i have been there done that and got the t-shirt..absofuckinglutely fustrating..i feel your pain...now i am graduating this year, baba in heavens knows i will not go through that bullshit anymore..worst come to worst i'll carry my load and go to naija..shikena

flawsandall said...

welcome to my world..i have been there done that and got the t-shirt..absofuckinglutely fustrating..i feel your pain...now i am graduating this year, baba in heavens knows i will not go through that bullshit anymore..worst come to worst i'll carry my load and go to naija..shikena

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com