yeah, that title may look wack at first but then if you take a closer and deeper look at it, maybe not so wack after all.
So, If you grew up in Nigeria, went to an abe-ogede high school, experienced the "Nigerian" way of life, can eat eba, amala and ogbono, can speak yoruba, ibo, pidgin, or a healthy combination, have the memories, the experience the whole nine yeards. Have jumped on an okada, know how to navigate danfo buses, and even know how to curse someone in a couple of the above-mentioned languages, does that make u nigerian?
what if you grew up in Nigeria, went to one of the posh schools, can only speak English (yoruba, ibo, and God-forbid pidgin are all vernacular!), only eat eba and amala if forced (somehow in Naija u only ate kellogs), would not be caught dead in a danfo bus, not to talk of on an okada. are u nigerian?
How about if you grew up in Yankee, but your parents are naija, so you understand "your" language (even if you can't speak it), you only eat pounded yam (the poundo type) cos ur mama forced it down your throat, you've prolly visited naija like once or twice- during christmas. does that make u nigerian?
Let's say you grew up in Yankee, both your parents are naija, BUT you only speak English at home, you do not understand a word of yoruba, Igbo or ur language, you only eat pizza and lasanga. You're no different from the next shaniqua- EXCEPT your name is Omogoriola Otaibayo. Are you really nigerian?
Well, I put up the above scenarios because I'm tired of explaining to people who is nigerian or not. In my class, for some odd reason, we happen to have a healthy mix of nigerians(other classes don't have as much)- and we all fall into the categories mentioned above. They say birds of the same feathers flock together, so naturally most of us are all friends. However, the rest of the class believes that there is a Nigerian "clique". They even go as far as blaming the disunity of the class on the Nigerians.
One time, I had an argument/discussion with some of my akata friends as to who is really Nigerian or not. Some Nigerians in group 3/group 4 feel as though they are being referred to as fake-nigerians. Although some Nigerians in group 1 might hold that belief, I try to explain to them that there are also Nigerians in group 2 who are just the same as those in group 3.
Also, there is this belief that no nigerian girl would date any of the akata boys in the class, and if God-forbid an akata girl started dating a naija boy, that there would be serious hating from the naija girls! I really didn't sound credible cos my boyfriend is a naija guy, but then that's my personal preference. The only thing I could say is why do Black men get stares when they have a White lady on their arm? nuff said!
In my own opinion, You're as Nigerian as you think you are. I have so many friends that grew up in Nigeria all their life and can't even speak any Nigerian language. My four year old cousin who was born in yankee, is more patriotic than I am. He would willingly volunteer to any stranger that he is Nigerian, he loves his buba and sokoto with a passion, and can eat iyan all week with no problems!
If you belong to group 3 or even group 4 and you tell me you're American but your parents are Nigerian, who am I to argue with you? can we stop all this hating please! jeez!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

44 comments:
I'm first?? Yay!!!
Being Nigerian is definitely relative. Being born there and being raised there doesn't necessarily mean being really Nigerian.
i am a nigerian and i am proud of that fact.
lol@EXCEPT your name is Omogoriola Otaibayo. where did u get that name from?
how was ur easter hols?
hmmm....so you have a boyfriend eh? :)
erm.....what is akata?
i'm nigerian....my ibo sounds like english sometimes.
i'm still nigerian!
you have a boyfriend?:)
@Vera: thank you! that's what I was trying to tell them for hours! I can't force someone to believe they are nigerian.
@Darkelcee: If I actually got an easter hols, I would have something to say. I didnt even know it was easter till saturday. I spent the whole time studying for an easter monday exam, lol! how was yours?
@Toochi: yes boo, I DO have a boyfriend :) how've u been?
My dear i agree with u. U can't force people to be who they don't wanna be........I don't know if i just made sense, i know i understand what i'm tryna say sha.
how was ur easter hun?
Thank u very much for ur last statement. I met this chic who was born her, but raised in nigeria, so of course she still has her naija accent. She had the guts to open her her mouth and say she's from staten island, NJ while her parent are nigerian. I was like "say what??!!!"
I know other people in exactly the same shoes as her who claim to be 100%.
My opinion is that anyone who identifies as Nigerian, for whatever reason in whatever degree is a Nigerian.
I think anyone can be whatever they want to be... seriously.Im british by birth, nigerian by heritage, and canadian by location... i claim all at the same time... and am more of one depending on where i am... its all good jare... i speak Igbo like its going out of style... pidgin english like i still live in Nigeria... in the words of feist 'i Feel it all'
Im a pround nigerian.yes i hate swallow wit a passion i barely speak hausa,that does not make me any less of a nigerian.hmm thats nu so nigerians are the cause of diunity in a class to?
@DL: I know exactly waht u mean. Easter was dry jare!
@Sting: don't even get me started with the people who claim that. I agree 100% with ur opinion
@overwhelmed: you are not on their level babe, Do you! I'm feeling it all the way!
@anon gal: don't mind the idiots! I guess they are just being intimidated. so u be hausa gal?
Im so Nigerian, i understand my native tongue, understand and speak a lil yoruba too. I climb Okada when its neccesary and as i dont have my car yet, i take danfo buses every now and then. I can still fit into the yankee clique when i want to but im proudly Naija anytime mehn. Nice post girl.
u r what u think u r. It's a free world. Afterall, I heard Ben Okri, the Nigerian born writer in England, no longer refers to himself as Nigerian.
thanks 4 finally stopping by
well,dis is really some thought provokin post,neva really thought bout it! what really qualifies one nigerian? well........i feel d heart of ur post n all d hatin is not needed at all
let me guess you go to howard?..lol..you dont have to answer.. just a speculation made from the high population of Nigerians there.
I used to be the one that will get pissed if someone says "oh your nigerian? my parents are nigerian but I from north carolina"..
now, excuse my french but I dont give a fuck where anyone is from or where the claim they are from.. the most important thing is thaT i know where am from..shikena..
lol
and let anyone come and tell me that because I cant speak my language(i am shamed of that) then i am not nigerian, na sound dem go here for their face(ok im kidding I am not that violent)
tooch get over yourself shes got a boo and it aint u...lol'
okay i'm nigerian, i swear i am and i'm proud to be one. the fact that i cant speak(and i swear i want to learn) my native tongue or understand it much dont make me a phony...no.
i'm proudly nigerian!
@supergirl: In other words, you're group 1!
@Uzezi: I need to research this Ben Okri dude. never heard of him
@wellsbaba: I was hoping you would tell me what qualifies one to be a nigerian. I agree, all the hating is absolutely not needed!
@Zephi: is howard the only school with a lot of nigerians? I know the undergrad has tons, but what about their professional schools? now I cant answer that without telling u what school I'm in :)
I used to be the one that will get pissed if someone says "oh your nigerian? my parents are nigerian but I from north carolina"..
i used to pissed at them, but them whatever rocks their boat.
Babe, if you know u're naija, Then nobody can tell u that u're not!
@fantasy queen: lol, free toochi, he's still a lil bit shaken :)
what's with all u people that can't speak ur language sef? lol, we still love u though!
LOL @ Tooch. Dude, she's taken already!!! LOL
I don't think I fit to comment on the post as a whole, but I have heard many times that Nigerian women despise America or Akata women that date Nigerian men, but I have found this to be false in my own personal experiences and think it to just be a stereotype. My niece is Nigerian-American and her name is Adaora, but my sister wished she had a name like Ife or Uche and wants her to be proud of being Nigerian. She proudly proclaims that her daughter is African/Nigerian. Okay, I've rambled too much. LOL
LOLLLL....
Abeg jare. I'm Nigerian, can't really speak any Nigerian language (but through no fault of mine), and I can do anything Naija...grew up in Naija, went to boarding house in Naija, I can even jump on okada if available, eat Amala/Iyan and any soup whatsoever...and understand Naija slangs...lol.
It's an individual identification. Everyone has the choice to choose to be Nigerian or not. I have a friend who was born here in the U.S to Nigerian parents, but took out time to learn Yoruba, know Naija slangs, visit Nigeria multiple times and claim Nigerian origin. She's full blooded Nigerian, maybe even more than me. Lol.
lol...omo, if they don't want to be naija, leave am...no be by force o!!...naija is the most populous 'black' nation on the planet...it is not like we are lacking for people and need people to claim naija o...
...it's like when black americans tell me they don't understand why they should be calling themselves african-american because they don't feel any connection to the place and have never been there [even as they breathe this, they are claiming jamo and have never been o!!!]...and i say, 'yes, don't claim it...you're black or black american...i agree'...who cares...as if africa is dying for people to claim her...please o...
Here's my email address obimah@gmail.com
let's talk about the med school thingy for real.
i agree with most, whatever they call themselves is what they are. we can not define who they are, they have to do that by themselves. I rep Naija All day, Everyday!!!
couldn't agree with you more!
Lol...I am as Nigerian as they come...yep the whole scenario...ok not the razz schools but still did all the okada climbing and pidgin speaking...
For some reason I only seem to date Nigerians as well, not that I set out to but those are the people I relate with...
I guess you are as Nigerian as u feel...I rep!!!
Lol!
Nice post.
Being Nigerian is great even with all the problems we face in this country.
We still love it.
lol. u people should not go and begin a world nigeria war there oh.
your post touches on identity, self identification and group behavior. Identity (who we think we are) is complex and goes beyond self identification (what we publicly proclaim we belong to). As for the group behavior of congregating with similar people that is not unique to Nationality.
Regarding nationality outside of the formal/legal definitions I guess it comes down to self identification. Thus I am a Nigerian-American-Martian. I dare anyone to say otherwise.
if there were a group half, i would fall square into it
lol at shaniqua
@QOMC: why do u think u're not fit to comment on the post? u're more than fit, at least u've dated a naija guy before, u have tons of nigerian friends on blogville, heck! u're even an adopted naija babe, better start claiming naija, lol! I'm glad that (out of personal experience, which is strong evidence) u can at least squash one stereotype.
@Jaycee: Its definitely an individual identificaion. Big props to ur fiend!
@Guerreiranigeriana: this ur long name sef,lol!
i think the bane of it is that those nigerian kids who have been here all their life fel alienated from the other nigerian kids, and as such they dont feel comfortable saying they ar nigerian. I think that's the prolem with african americans who have a problem identifying with africa.
@Incog: Naija for life!!!
@anonymous: thanks!
@afrobabe: not to sound narrow minded, I've only dated nigerian men and that's cos they are the ones I can identify with more intimately. that's just the way I am.
@aphrodite: of course, we love it!
@eve: e never reach that level.
@Naapali: I agree that Identity, self identification and group behavior are intimately linked. That is why i don't assume that every chukwuemeka or Agbabiaka is Nigerian, for all I know they dont identify with the country, even if their names say otherwise. I wait for people to tell me where they stand. marxist?
@Jinta: ok, can you explain what this group half is all about? lol! seriously!
i am a naija , a complete one , have had a taste of it all, the sch, the pidgin u name them and today its amaizing how western i ve become or almost...lol
I agree with Naapali (Why is no one surprised.) Its about identity, self-identification and group behavior. I think its for parents to at least educate their children about their heritage (or heritages in mixed marriages). The child can choose to identify or not identify later in life. Then, that would be choice.
Can't remember who said something like: "African-Americans are people who have a past or a connection to Africa if only by the color of their skin; Black-Americans dont. To them the past is a black-hole. No matter the color of their skins"
@Uzi: I heard about the Ben Okri case and I think its about 'self-identification' due to a 'group behavior' as described above by Napaali. The guy probably did not like the way some Nigerians were behaving or was embarrassed by some actions of the 9ja government; so he decided to identify himself as 'not Nigerian' but he has not yet said what he is or wants to be. Someone said he wants to be known and addressed as a 'citizen of the world'. Whatever rocks your boat.
As it is sef, Bumight has never heard of him. So much for 'citizen of the world'! Can anybody say they have never heard of that Nigerian called Wole Soyinka?
@GNaija: Sis, abeg take am easy with dem o.
I am particularly amused by this topic and the whole Naija/Not Naija thing. Its now fashionable to rep Naija and be 'Naija-4-Laif'.
A few years ago, not many people would want to be identified with anything Nigerian particularly on the Internet. I had seen brothers deny each other because one said he was Nigerian. People came up with all kinds of names and forced/phony accents just to disguise their Nigerianess.
Its funny that now there even seems to be a corner of Blogger 'colonized' by Nigerians. Its growing everyday and even with all our drama (one week, one episode) nobody is really 'checking out'.
We now even have four or more categories of Nigerians. Wonderful!
I Cnt be anything but Nigerian..i swear i have tried.
Na wa o
9ja 4 lyfe
Hiya bumight!Was catching up on my reading:)
I think I have to disagree with the general consensus.Saying you are doesn't necessarily make it so.
When considering group identity,the opinion of the mob does count.If they don't think you belong,you don't.The thing is,in this case the population you're speaking of don't sound large or diverse enough to make that kind of determination.
It is much more difficult to retain your identity as a member of a particular group if you do not have much in common.Language is possibly the single most important because of its relationship to the cultural heritage of your group's identity.Nigerian English is quite different from it's foreign cousins:'dress' in Naija does not mean the same thing it does in the Queen's Own.And it continually changes.Group 1 is indisputably Nigerian now,but after living outside Nigeria for 10 yrs does he qualify?What of 20yrs?30 yrs?People who live or have lived in the country have all sorts of intangible advantages,from foods to outlook to shared values.I think I can comfortably say that most Igbo men would like to build a house in the village if they can afford it.Would an American?Or a German?It is possible to be considered Nigerian and not be nativeborn;the bar for qualification is just higher.
I will say that if you insist you don't belong long enough and hard enough you won't.
@Nimmo
The resurgence of Nigerian pride is analogous to that of graduants of a particularly tough school;we're tougher than everyone else.It crops up in the oddest places:)
I have only dated Nigerian men because I cant stop eating pounded yam and my idea of going out is nkwobi and suya!!!
lol @ afro, nkobi and suya!!!!
Hey bumight, I am fully Naija, can't even fake it if I tried, tru, true. I went to the posh schools, so funny because anything except queen's english @ my pry school was considered vernacular and we were made to pay if we speak such languages! I learnt my native tongue 'yoruba' in high school though my aprents spoke it daily but fear of 'sister' (catholic school) beating mr or finning me ffg day made me not to pick the language properly...anyhoos, now, I can lost you via okada/molue in naija oh! My 'sister' will cringe if she sees me typing or conversing in pidgin sef, she hated shorthand or slangs, i used to imagine how she would av coped in naija at the emergence of mobile phones but she relocated to her home town- yep, my pry school was a catholic school run by british nuns....so all my teachers were oyinbos except my yoruba teacher of course....but av been used to that lifestyle yet mama put is my ideal of 'fun' talk of forbidden fruits bein attractive!
@all u long commenters: I don't have energy to type long long comments jare, u guys are saying my mind, so I'll leave u pple to reply each other.
@NIMMO: the whole naija for life thing, I believe, stems from the Nigerians in the Diaspora. You start getting more patriotic when you leave Nigeria. I didn't even think twice about being Nigerian when I was in Naija.
@afrobabe: I agree with you jare 100%,
@nine: somebody help me with Nine's comment, cos my brain is saturated as is! :)
Lol...I get that alot...here in Jand...there's the naija people and the 'innit' (London) people, we are all nigerians but then the 2nd set were born here and have become a radom mix of black razz british and nigerians!
a lot of people unfortunately are suffering from an identity crisis. you will NEVER find an american who is not proud of being one, regardless of the 'mixes' above. i feel its as a result of the country's dwindling fortunes and reputation some people feel they may not be. i am 100% nigerian and proud of it. no place like home. ask the americans and british. no place like home
Send your classmates down to any west african country where the hatred for nigerians is increasing, all because we arent lazy, they will learn to stick by each other cause thats the only way they will survive.
Totally agree with Sting, it's all about your identity and where you feel you belong. If you feel you're naija then you are. If you want to fake it or feel you are not, then you are not. Nigeria needs Nigerians that are proud of 'who' they are.
First off, the term "akata" grates me. I despise that term with a vengence!
feelings of belonging as great as that sounds IMHO does not make you a Nigerian. Technically speaking.
By technically speaking, I'm referring to what defines you by citizenship. Your country of birth does not call you a Nigerian just because your parents are. Trust me I know. Try physically abusing your American Born children and see if they don't deport you ASAP without said children. In the whole scheme of things and you know this is true there are some African-Americans here tracing their roots back to African and claiming home there. Does that make them from Africa because their heart is in it? It's all relative. No right or wrong answer. I fall into category three (spent a few years in Nigeria) in my heart, I'll always be a Nigerian, can I identify with most Nigerians, probably not. Truth of the matter is I identify more with my American side inspite of my parents being full born Nigerians. I also figure, I'm one of those people who can claim the best of both worlds.
Ps: Great post
can speak yoruba, ibo, pidgin, or a healthy combination,..that one is crackin me up for some reason..
and like exschoolnerd said..i cant be anything but nigerian..even if i tried! lolz, and i have only half claim to naija sef..but..you know..cant speak popsiz language...can speak pidgin enough to make up for it, afterall ma daddy is from delta state..hehe..
its my first time..nice blog!
Wonderful blog...and lyk icequeen.. i cant speak anyfin!! Aprt 4rm the occassional greetings my mother forced into my head.. but u knw wat? I'm still nigerian!
Love ur post
Post a Comment