The offending pieces of clothing...
So I'm in the Foyer right outside my class, gisting with fellow classmates ,like fellow classmates should, you know trying to be social. One of my friends passes by. In all fairness to her, she's a sweet person and all but she uttered a statement that just got the other half of me all awakened up.
So I'm in the Foyer right outside my class, gisting with fellow classmates ,like fellow classmates should, you know trying to be social. One of my friends passes by. In all fairness to her, she's a sweet person and all but she uttered a statement that just got the other half of me all awakened up.
"Bumight, why are you looking all nice and all, we know its because of superbrain"
say what?!
Then another sweetheart (dude) of mine cosigned
"yeah, u coming to school all blinged out and all..."
"we know, everyone's been talking about it, ever since you started studying with them...yeah yeah, I've never seen the hair in curls before..."
mogbe!
is that how to tell me you like my hair? I FREAKING HAD A DINNER EVENT ON SATURDAY IDIOT!
I was just shocked speechless. For her to say that, I know my people, that's what they all think.
No apologies to anyone, but I do like to dress up. I mean if I'm going to be in school all day and most of the night, where am I going to dress up to if I don't dress up to school? As if life is not depressing as it is, should I now start dressing as depressing as it is?
my people ask me what I wore?
say what?!
Then another sweetheart (dude) of mine cosigned
"yeah, u coming to school all blinged out and all..."
"we know, everyone's been talking about it, ever since you started studying with them...yeah yeah, I've never seen the hair in curls before..."
mogbe!
is that how to tell me you like my hair? I FREAKING HAD A DINNER EVENT ON SATURDAY IDIOT!
I was just shocked speechless. For her to say that, I know my people, that's what they all think.
No apologies to anyone, but I do like to dress up. I mean if I'm going to be in school all day and most of the night, where am I going to dress up to if I don't dress up to school? As if life is not depressing as it is, should I now start dressing as depressing as it is?
my people ask me what I wore?
a black top, a polka dot camisole, blue jeans and black boots.
shikena!
Funny thing is that I've worn the exact same combination to school but nobody said anything. I know people think that I like to dress up, and YES I DO! but don't even suggest that I'm dressing up for no man!
I dress up for myself! (u are permitted to roll ur eyes ) it makes me feel good about the day if I feel beautiful doing whatever the day has to offer. I know everyone says that, but its the honest truth. I love coming up with new combination of clothes, and I feel elated when I come up with one that rocks! I feel even more excited when I get compliments about my achievements. I've been like this since forever! Yes, I love the attention (I never denied being vain :)}, it does not matter where the attention comes from. Infact, I feel even giddier if the attention comes from a female, and no thanks! I'm no le-le.
This is not the first time someone is telling me that I "dress up" to school, but this is the first time someone is telling me that I'm dressing up because of a guy!
I dress up for myself! (u are permitted to roll ur eyes ) it makes me feel good about the day if I feel beautiful doing whatever the day has to offer. I know everyone says that, but its the honest truth. I love coming up with new combination of clothes, and I feel elated when I come up with one that rocks! I feel even more excited when I get compliments about my achievements. I've been like this since forever! Yes, I love the attention (I never denied being vain :)}, it does not matter where the attention comes from. Infact, I feel even giddier if the attention comes from a female, and no thanks! I'm no le-le.
This is not the first time someone is telling me that I "dress up" to school, but this is the first time someone is telling me that I'm dressing up because of a guy!
you all have not even seen nada! Summer, can you please hurry up?
UPDATE
so I got feedback that the comment was as a result of my hair. They said I've been "doing" my hair lately.
oshi ati iranu!
I got out of my naija braids like 3 weeks ago, got a touch up and then I've had curls for about a week now. Apparently that is too much for them to handle.
Actually, I'm secretly smiling cos I'm such a hair person. I get a high from people telling me that my hair looks good. :P

50 comments:
Don't mind them, instead of them to pay u the compliment that u look nice and shut up. Keep dressing up if it makes u feel good.
U Go girl....do ya thing n let people keep hating. u have nice hips o........just saying!
OMG. get the hell out of my head..I constantly have to deal with this everytime...dressing up for me has nothing to do with anyone, its my state of mind..I like to feel comfortable. sometimes I wear heels if I want other times I dont..sometimes I wear combnation of colors that people will think will not Go, but it works for me..I have this "friend" who constantly whines about how I dress too much to school and you can see the way she looks at me when i come into class...I mean am sorry I am to damn fly and your middle school fashion sense cant match up to mine...let her do her and imma do me...
sorry, this issue gets me riled up...why the fuck is it anybody business what I put on...na dia papa buy am? lol
na people wey dey jealous ur style. keep it up.
hehehe,
maybe they over did the april fool's day thingy
lol
just ignore them pluzz
Bumight no vex oh! you know the average Naija person likes to dress well and more so than most people, the opposite is true for our fellow Americans, so maybe their reference for comparison is different.
@sting: thanks jare!
@DL: now, I'm blushing!
@Zephi: yeah, i get that with the colors too. some people just compliment u, others just flat out hate on you! and I dont even wear heels to school, maybe its high time I introduce the class to my shoe collection :) *evil grin*
@uzezi: thanks babes!
@ms emotions: I know my people, they like to talk and make links where there are none, but Imma brush them off.
@naapali: my vexing doesn't last long (just about the time it took to put the post up), you know some of them think that the naija boys (2 of them) dress up just because they wear dress shirts on jeans and drivers?
their reference for comparison is def. different.
we always have the haters around girl...bask in it jare, at least you're noticed..lol
no one need roll their eyes at your dressing for you comment. i dress for me too ,whenever i feel supa good with my outfit, i always feel supa cool inside and thats what matters yeah? be it in a jean or a dress or buba(overdressed or underdressed)
its my body and i'll dress if i want to, dress if i want to.....
your hips dont lie!!lol
Forget bad belle people dem. For them to take note, it means you are a chick with style...naija no dey carry last. Show them. *hiss*
lol.. we're soo alike in certain things its not even funny... i care about my hair SERIOUSLY, clothes and if i had a dollar for everytime someone told me i dressed too much to school i'd be RICH... im not talking thousandnier(Lol however u spell that).. id be a millionaire.. no mind them jare...carry on with ur sexy jare... it helps you study better... and lecturers will give u extensions on essays that are due.. lol...
Hey...isnt this a free world? Abeg..look dress the way you want, the way you please! Nonsense! Who the hell are they tell you that kinda shit?**hiss***
Girl, how are you? I love my hair too. Right now i'm having highlighted long spirals! Yes girl with my real natural hair. People dont believe its my hair. They think i got some extensions or something. Me? Extensions? For what?
Girl, i need those boots!
lol..next time they tell u that, tell them u r a correct naija babe...we like to stand out...
me, I hate dressing up sha...too much work...sometimes I look like a manager,sometimes I look like every other person,sometimes I look like a tramp...other times I look like I couldn't be bothered...
I envy girls who can look consistently good everyday...
you should feel great....
dont mind them jare...its 'three stomach' [eta'nu, beef, ....]
lol... don't mind them. This reminds me of the time my coworker said i was dressing up to be someone I was not to impress a dude... stupid pple will say stupid things. you just look fabulous and don't let them get to you.
osi ati iranu gan an ni.
lol... don't mind them. This reminds me of the time my coworker said i was dressing up to be someone I was not to impress a dude... stupid pple will say stupid things. you just look fabulous and don't let them get to you.
osi ati iranu gan an ni.
Babe,na because say you dey yankee o.For Naija woman student doctor no dey wear shokoto.And jeans?Abomination!
They do look nice though:)
@nine: For Naija woman student doctor no dey wear shokoto
are you serious? I mean especially in my first and second year why can't I wear jeans. I'm going to be in class, where I don't have to go anyways, and then I go study.
of course jeans is a no-no when you're going to the clinic, but there's really no sense in restricting what you can wear in your pre-clinical years. some people even come to school wearin scrubs!
Try it.The likelihood of unforseen "accidents" occuring in your academic career goes up drastically,particularly if you don't have some mega influential godfather hovering over you.
Nigerian consultants(you call them attendings) are a law unto themselves.And they answer to no one.
Let me point out another curious fact:law students have to wear black and white to lectures.Have to.Under threat of sanction,official and otherwise.Count your blessings:)
I know that law students have to wear black and white, business students here do something similar (wear suits on particular days).
Nigerian consultants dont even have to be laws unto themselves, its more professional to dress formally to the CLINICS so no jeans, hoodies et al. I get that. same thing applies here, but to class. Heck! class isn't even mandatory so why should you have a strict dress code.
If it applies in naija, then that's jst an example of focusing on mundane sturves and leaving the real important ones.
wow....mayn u sha want to give a brother hypertension...see tha mahdd legs in boots u jus show us b4 the post ehn??
free those peeps jare let them be doing like ur fans *switches to yoruba* to ba su won...they'll free u
xxx
new kid on the block hollering
sexy morra-fohka....
don't mind the haters...i think naapali and afrobabe have already said-una naija babe, correct one o!!!...nigerians are notorious for dressing well...do you o!!...even if you were dressing for some dude, wetin do am?...nonsense people!!!...
why am i not invited to your jesus blog..abi you think sey I be lucipher ni?...lol
i saw d pix b4 reading d post sef and i knew i was going to post a comment...
i've seen only part of the whole n hope the whole is 'wow' than the sum of its parts...i'm babbling i knw..
tk gud care bunmi
Hi ya, just luv ur style of write. Imagine had to leave all my modelling & simulations to browse thro ur achieves. I'll be a regular. Keep d green white green flying high.
@charizard:hypertension ke? lai lai! bt then if you get hypertension, there are many doctors on blogville tht will take care of u (naapali where art thou?). you're in the right place, lol!
@ms. catwalq: haba! eyin ni mo de fi jo o,...
@gnigeriana: and notorious is the word!
@zephi: i need to see your angel pass before u can get in :)
@the genius within: em....em....I ....wa'eva!, *blushing*
@honeywell: I'm totally with u in this blissful trance!
LOLLLLLLL...
hehe! luv ur blog!
geeez,i tot u prolly wore an oscar gown to school for them to complain...no mind them jare i totall love to dress up too, i wear heels to school when i feel like and i dont care. u look good too*wink wink*
hey girl, that ur new blog now?
@senator: now I'm oficially flattered! :)
@Jaycee: are u laughing at me or with me? I guess the latter, so LOL
@allyurs: thanks , will be checking urs out petty soon
@soupasexy: abi,*thinking* maybe I should wear my oscar gown to school *evil smirk*
@uzezi: my new blog? *confused look*
lol
lol!
I think they were just trying to compliment you but didnt go about it properly.
Abeg rock ur wears babes! I also love dressing up...it makes me happy.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I love the top. It's pretty.
lol@ Dont mind bad belle peeps jare!
invite ooooooooo, i want to read ur dear Jesus. Do i have to be a bornagain to read it?
gosh i may as well be the 40th, i love even numbers.
You know what they say..
it's not the dress that makes the person but the person that makes the dress..
Have fun Jare.
Been a while...
How are you?
this your birthday is a serious thing oh. That countdown timer was in my face!
I think you should put up a blog list of the stuff you want...
you never know
@tobenna: you don't even understand, how did you know? I'm working on my list as we speak!
err, any chance of a picture of the 'offending' curls?
@jinta: i can't put the picture up without showing my face.
Firstly i love the blog and you need to stop fronting...repeat after me. "I like to dress up, so that guys will notice me" ..REPEAT!!..i do it all the time..lol!! if you see me dress up to go to school, infact you will think i am going to pick oscar award from the stage and i am guy
*repeating after you* I like to dress up, s that BABES will notce me... so you are one of those metro/preppy jand boys shey? I love a guy with style! If you do dress up, that's hawt!!
Thank you!! Now i am blushing..
*still blushing*...
shio! ur head is swelling abi, lol!
oshi ati iranu PRICELESS!!!
ah! The good times. Miss hanging around Nigerians.
Awesome blog!!
tee hee.. jst had to comment.. i'm a hair person tew!
Post a Comment