twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Help! Anyone?

The latest fad nowadays is diet and excericise. Everybody and their mamas are doing it. I can't be left out. Plus its spring, I need to be in bikini shape for the summer. Even though I'm not fat, I'm of the school of thought that if your tummy don't look like Halle's, you have no business sporting a bikini. I knew there would be no dieting for me, so excercise it was.

So I signed up, got a call from a local gym that rhymes with Cally and I immediately regretted it. My appointment was for 9pm. By 8:45p I stopped everything I was doing and started getting ready. I was now excited. I mean, I was going to the G-Y-M!

I brought out my sweat pants, dustd my gym shoes and even brought out my red gym bra (said item of clothing had not been used in 2 years!). I looked for a black tee shirt- I didnt want to look too matching. I had to look like one of the pros who'd been doing this for years.

I spent about 3 minutes debating on whether or not to wear lipgloss. Everyone knows that trainers are always hot! I finally decided not to.

I had my white towel ready, I even took a bottle of water to perfect the whole outfit.

At 9pm, I drove the 1 minute drive to the gym and was introduced to the trainer I was supposed to see. He took me into the office for the preliminary talks.

Trainer: so what are your goals? do you want to work on a specific area, or tone up, or stay in shape, lose weight..
Bumight: I'm looking more into staying in shape
Trainer: that's good
was that a trick question?
Trainer: We have many programs and packages....

Anyways, to cut the long story short, dude said he would go over the programs with me and then show me around the gym and we'll work on a couple of machines(is that what they call them?) then come back and talk about the prices.
He took me on the treadmill , I worked that one like a pro. He showed me the ones that work the biceps, triceps, deltoids, hips, thighs, - In short, we were on a roll. I was beginning to feel the gym.

So we went in and started looking at the prices
1. He recommended the $49.95/mo plan for students
2. They require a 3 year contract
3. By this time I knew the gym wasn't for me

To be fair to the guy, he talked about a $19/mo plan that they had, but you still had to sign up for 3 years.
He then went into the sales pitch as to how I'll be doing this for my body, I need to take care of myself yadi-yadi-ya

All my excitement had deflated by this time.

Now I really want to start going to the gym for real. I mean its a way to relieve stress and all- ok, who am I kidding? I want a fab body and I need a new addiction ( see post below), but I can't pay $50 a month for 3 years! I know I'll be bored by the end of the first year. I don't have such money to waste.

The school gym is way smaller, and they have all the school athletes crowding in there intimidating the little people like me:(

I am getting my bikini body by fire by force! are there any better options out there that don't require a three year contract?

38 comments:

Joy Akut said...

FIRST!!!!

LMAO...theres a gym craze this days innit?

i almost kissed my doctor real good when he adviced me against vigorous workouts.(i still have to use the trend mill though)

so here i am taking long works, u call that exercise, i call it chilling.
then theres the yoga i do once in a pinkish moon, i just love the atmosphere not the deed itself.
then i use my exrcise ball for variety stuff
and dumbbells, i need to tone up my arms.

if a gyms going to cost so much quid\(i'd rather buy a shoe..lol)
buy the ball, cost less and it makes for great sit ups and its a fun no pain way to work on abs.

Anonymous said...

You are the very reason why folk like me avoid the gym...it is a place to work out not "shakara" and wear make up or matching outfits!!!!! lol I kid.

Ok, seriously, $50 is a bit much (you think?) per month. I cannot believe "callys" would charge that much with all the specials they have on TV commercials every daggum second interupting my fav show. Anyway, try the local YMCA, they usually have decent prices and discounts for residents. Or go on Craigslist, get yourself used exercise equipment for dirt cheap. Do you do thrift stores? They ALWAYS have those old exercise bikes (hey it's better than nothing)
Also, try another gym, sometimes they have 2 week free trials or something like that.
OR Weight Watchers, you don't even have to exercise with this one, just eat how they tell you to eat (and then quit after three months at $15 per month. I heard WW works)
OR
you can do like me and just go running around the neighborhood-for free. (and I don't have to be around women who go to the gym for "shakara") lol

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

$50 bucks? Na wa oh! Have you considered running? Very little start up cost and you can walk initially until you are confident enough to run. I recommend it and have been doing it for 3 years now. It's addictive and gets you into great shape.

And, I don't know what you are talking about, you look great!

Vera Ezimora said...

$50 a month ke? Do you know how many shoes I will be missing out of with that?

Anyway, I did the gym thing b4. I signed a one year contract. I was enthused for like 3 months. The remaining nine months, I just paid them while my gym shoes collected dust. Don't even know where those shoes are right now sef.

Anonymous said...

24 hour fitness!!! Find one in your area! They don't do contracts.

NaijaScorpio said...

That's crazy. Why don't they just let u pay monthly like everybody else. LA fitness has a monthly thingy.

Flourishing Florida said...

i've never been one 4 gyms. just think they r a waste of money! mayb cos am a freak of a dieter. am always dieting, weda am losing or gaining weight, i have no idea. i just know am forever conscious of wot am putting into my mouth (sure there r days i just say fuck it & pile all d chocolate, sodas, ice-creams, cate & all wot not i can lay my hands on, but den am back 2 my diet in no time)

i used 2 jog, but hasn't done so in almost a year now. den again, i walk at lot. if d sun isn't up, i'd rather 2 short distances. i kinda dance any chance i get. daz some form od exercise dat works 4 me. can't swim (too scared). sit-ups r said 2 b good, but am more of a scretch person dan sit-ups. i know so many scretch positions, daz 30 mins of doing in n d comfort of my room, & am good.

yeah, & u know, drink a lot of water too

anyways, who cares abt halle's belle, girl. wear ur bikina & feel sexy

desperate lady said...

lmaooo girl u dnt need no GYM, u dnt look fat in d pic on ur page, well ur hips r not small sha but u dnt need no GYM.
K wud u rather i train u 4 $10/month? i don't mind doing that but ull have 2 pay for 5yrs 1st!

p.s- is d guy cute? if he is/was, u shud have ummmm well....ummm kinda seduced him....u know, then maybe, just maybe u'd be a gym member with no price to pay!

Aphrodite said...

lol@DL!

Girl, i suggest you buy some exercise tapes/cds and do aerobics at home or just sit-ups since its the tummy you want to lose, right?

Bookie19 said...

Whatever you do please do not sign up with those pwople cuz u gonna end up being bankrupt...They got my mom with that 3 yr contract fee and pls believe that they will automatically take the money out of ur account with or without ur permission and if u try to cancel, u get charged as well...So please do not sign up with them. If ur school has a gym, just join. When i started going to the school gym a couple of weeks ago, i was very scared cuz i had no idea what i was doing. Meanwhile all those athletes and in-shape ppl were crowding there lifting like 140 pounds and my ass was doing like 30pounds...Trust me after a while, u will get used to it especially if u have someone to go with you. Don't let them intimidate you

La Reine said...

Um, run?
Exercise in your house to those TV channels or videos?
Dance? (My favorite exercise)

-I'm probably not helping, but I hope you find a way. Maybe your school gym is it after all, if you can find a buddy or two to work it out with you.

Take care.

Queen of My Castle said...

have you tried LA Fitness gym? I hate B.Ally's...honestly. UGH! That gym makes me sick.

Try walking/jogging and then just buy a pilates video to tone. It's great for the tummy area.

InCogNaija said...

i run my own gym...$9.99/month and you dont need to sign any contracts. Open enrollment now for a limited time ONLY!!

Anonymous said...

Like I said.... 24 HOUR FITNESS!!!!

soupasexy said...

i dont need any gym, i go just finish..lol but i def feel u on the halle berry's abs...i need to do more yoga and pilates for sure.

i say just buy you some work out videos, if u r not big(was gonna say fat, but i dont want to use the f word..lol), i think u can get in to perfect shape qith just that.

Nine said...

Run.That plus daily crunches at home should do the trick.

Alternatively,blackmail someone into going to the school gym with you for moral support.If they go with you half a dozen times I suspect you'll get used to it.Start today!Summer's almost here:)

guerreiranigeriana said...

hahahahahahaha...i'm not laughing at you...i'm laughing that the gym would charge that much and ask you to commit to three years...lailai...i'm not a gym person at all...prefer to be outside if possible...

...you could always make friends with one or two of the school athletes and have them help you at the school gym...or take a friend or two for moral suppport...

...you could go running for free outside around your neighborhood/school/local park/etc...swimming is another good look...works the whole body and you can pick up some color as well...jump roping and hoola-hooping are also cheap and fun things that really work!!...

...i like hot yoga...you're sweating, toning up and with the right teacher, it can also be an 'enlightening' experience...

...my favorite-capoeira angola!!!!...

...i heard sex helps burn lots of calories...you could work on contracting your stomach muscles while in action...i keed, i keed about the muscle contractions...

...i look up awilo, magic system, d'banj's tongolo and other soukous and african music on youtube and then dance to them...all that hip and waist winding, dipping low and winding back up, your waist will be nice and trim...your legs and bum too...

...call halle and see if she'll trade bodies with you for the summer...if she says no, you could always kidnap her, trade stomaches while you hold her hostage for the summer, switch back afterwards and then release her and skip town...;)...

...good luck lovey!!...

sangololu said...

yo i know what gym u went to...cos those mofos gat me by the wrist mehn i am bleeding 50 bucks eri month for somn i dont even use for the next 3yrs....the best thing u could do if u really want to be in shape (like seriously serious about it) get some of those work out tapes(dvd wut eva) and stick to it really works if u are committed to it...freal

shhhh said...

we are lucky in scotland, only 12 month contracts. 3 years? whoa...only in america!

bumight said...

@everyone: thanks for the suggestions. I'm too lazy to reply each comment but...
1. Running up and down the whole place is not really fun for me
2. I can't buy excercise bikes, I'm moving into a smaller apartment. cant take it with me
@ anon: there is no 24 hour fitness in my area :(

The videos are out of it cos I'm hardly ever at home.

I really really want to go to A gym. I guess I have no other option except the school gym or the hospital gym

@incog: what do u guys offer in ur gym :)

@Florida: so you're one of those OCD dieters shey? The thing is I know I dont need dieting, I just want ABS!!!!

I guess I also want to do something other than school, school and more school!!!

@Sting and Queen: I'm going to look into LA fitness.

Smaragd said...

everything's been said but since u havent cancelled out dancing, i suggest u consider it. It works wonders, seriously!

Smaragd said...

BTW, when is ur birthday? I'm a Taurus too (does that sound cheesy? whatevs)lol.

darkelcee said...

try in ur room abeg.

you will be amaze at what you can do with ur urself.

lollll

Register now and vamoose when you are tired! simple.
abi na by force to complete the 3 years?

Tinu said...

3 years contract ke?? mehn only in yankee!! la fitness..i used them when i was over in la..and they have them all over i think!

ablackjamesbond said...

Try swimming.

lol @ Darkelcee...correct naija babe!

Anonymous said...

thats absurd why would they want you to committ to 3 years!haba!

bumight said...

@smargad: my birthday is in 18 days!

@darkelcee and 007: I can't just disappear cos its either they automatically deduct the money from ur account, or they have a huge cancellation fee, and if you dont pay it, it reflects negatively on ur credit score/history.

@all: I'm going to start dancing Aladji in my house!

Unknown said...

Dancing is a good one. Walking too. Exercises that are 'natural' -
don't feel like a chore or punishment - are the best.

Afrobabe said...

3 years contract??? heck so not worth it...Not sure what mine is..I paid £30 join up fee and £40 A MONTH...whenever I GET TIRED I CANCEL THE DIRECT DEBIT...IF I FEEL LIKE REJOINING I PAY THE JOIN UP FEE AGAIN...SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS, MISTAKENLY PUT IT ON AND CANT BE BOTHERED TO RETYPE THE WHOLE THING.. :-)

Edirin said...

Thats just ridiculous...Afro what gym do u go, thats exactly what i payed

anyway, i think you should buy a decent workout dvd, it works just as fine

as long as u have the determination, eat right, you would get results.

Jinta said...

you could try Beauty and the Beast Gym, only 1 yr contracts. its in london, though

anonymous gal(retired blogger) said...

lol.yes o slim seems to be the latest word in town.

Afrobabe said...

F and F...I go to wellness health and fitness...

princesa said...

Wow... am i so late?!!!
I agree with you girl, its like evryone is bent on losing some weight this period so i guess am joining the bad wagon...dont wanna be the only one left with a big tummy,lol!

Good old sit-ups will do if it just the tummy you want to lose.

bumight said...

@prisca: of course you are late, when you were doing aso-ebi babe nko? I know...I'm hating right?

it seems sit- ups are the way to go o !

Zayzee said...

just passing by n looking for fresh gist. how'r u doing?

Zayzee said...

this is sick. i just realised my earlier comment on this post is MIA. Know i left one

Fausset said...

lol..all in the name of gyming..lol...is that the only gym in ur area, you should try out ballys fitness, i think their contracts are flexible..lol or nevertheless by a threadmill in ur house..lol gudluck with ur "bikini body"lol

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com