So maybe I'll be here
Maybe I'll see ya' round
That's the way it goes
Almost doesn't count
-Brandy
Some I 'dated', some I don't even know what to call them. Some people call them puppy love, others call them different names. I call them my Almosts.
Agent: The Guardian
qualifications: Never even held hands
Job experience: The ill-fated christmas card, couple of letters.
He was the very first person I noticed as a guy. I attended a same sex school for a while (started at a very young age), so of course my previous encounters with the male folk was limited to playing sets(soccer), hide and seek, police and thief and the rest.
In school, I had a guardian who had 3 sons and daughters. After a while, I noticed the second son "liked" me. I was afraid to like him back at first, cos he was way older and many seniors had crushes on him. How would he like me? A mere JS2 girl. since he was my guardian's son, we had more encounters than the leering seniors, and I started to like him.
One holiday, I went back home to Lagos, and I bought him some Christmas cards. I'm guessing (can't remember) the card had some buzzwords, i.e "darling", "love", "sweetheart" and a couple of others, because my mom found the card and scared the "Love" out of me. My mom is a story for another day. Needless to say, that was the end. I transferred that same semester.
Agent: Brainy Brian
qualifications: might have held hands, never kissed.
Job experience: SSCE past questions.
So I transferred to a co-educational school. The first guy to "toast" me was my friend's brother who was a year ahead. Dude was quick with it, I must admit. He always walked me home, sent people to pressurize me. After much wahala, I agreed to be his "girlfriend".
His idea of a relationship didn't suit mine.
He would come to my house with various SSCE past questions and give them to me to do. Our conversations always revolved around 1996 WAEC chemistry, JAMB past exams and the rest
I was bored.
By this time, I had realized that "Brain" was a little too much of a nerd for me. My mom didn't mind him coming to our house (which was weird), I guess she knew he was too much of a nerd to pose any "problems". I called it quits after like 3 weeks(?). Brain was heartbroken, but then I had discovered cuter and less nerdier boys in the school :)
Agent: D' Diddy
qualifications: Probably held hands, Never kissed
Job experience: Lots of coded letters, the famous ill-fated cardS
I call him my diddy cos in retrospect he looked and acted a lot like diddy. He transferred to my school in SS2( 11th grade). All the girls thought diddy was cute, and were falling over themselves to get him to notice them. I guess that was what put me off. I used to write in my diary in code-language, apparently diddy had his own codes. He challenged me to break his code- which I did.
Diddy then started to making passes on me, to which most of the guys in the class told him he was wasting his time. To the amazement of them all, Something started out between Diddy and I.
The guys were jealous, the girls hated me - it was the perfect "relationship".
My mom found some cards diddy sent me. It had the magic words " head over heels in love", "love", etc. She showed it to one of my teachers, and we both got punished. This time it didn't have the same effect as the last time. We kept on at it. However diddy, like the real Diddy, had wandering affections.
I broke up with him (before he could, hehehe) after I found out that he was "toasting" an SS1 girl. I don't share.
Agent: Lil Thiery Henry
qualification: Almost kissed
Job experience: couple of visits, gifts.
His period almost overlapped with that of diddy. Infact, I knew he liked me before diddy even transferred to our school, but he was slow. He never made a move, we were just friends. Sometimes I think diddy was intimidated by our friendship. We became closer. He used to walk me home from school almost everyday. Everybody knew there was an attraction there.
One day, we were sitting outside our class. He was sitting on the window sill, I was standing between his legs. He moved in to kiss me, ...but someone appeared then and ruined the moment. dang! The kiss never happened.
Shortly after, I changed schools and then he travelled after we finished high school. We got in contact when I got here. Infact, I called him. He wanted to pick up from where we left off, but things were not the same again. I still like him, but I'm not the same 13 year old anymore.
Agent: First Infatuation
qualifications: Held hands. Never kissed.
Job experience: coded letters, emails, e-cards.
I changed schools yet again, in my senior year of high school. To cut a long story short, I was attracted to one long genius like that. He liked me too. At first, it was a healthy competition with the books. I think he was attracted to me because of my brain. I was still very smart back then.
We were both in the boarding house then. We would spend hours and hours on weekends in each other's company in school. Just talking. When we ran out of things to say, we would just LOOK at each other.
Everybody in school thought we were dating. He never asked me out.
We finished school and he came to yanks within a few months....then he asked me out. We lived in this illusion for a couple of months...maybe a year.
I so wanted us to be in the same school. I travelled 2 years after he left. I was in a different state. Then we drifted apart. He found someone else, I found someone else.
Everybody was disappointed. We were both happy. Now, he's off the market....for good.
Gonna find me somebody
Not afraid to let go
Want a no doubt be there kind of man
You came real close But every time you built me up
You only let me down
And everybody knows
Almost doesn't count
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

50 comments:
Am wondering where brainy Brian is now? Do u know?
brainy brain's probably some hotshot brainy boss somewhere...lol
okay, so just you? all this guys? before you hit 15? girl, come over to my place, we're going to have some prayer sessions...whisle i was going all 'issssh' on boys, you were buying em 'merry christmas sweetheart' cards. tsk tsk tsk...lol
i guess a couple of us have the almost doesnt count moments *sigh* i really wanted to kiss my cousin, i was 9, he was a girl snob(i'm 9 now, i still want to kiss him, so do other girls....)
I see you kept finding your way back to Brainy guys.
Nice how you used that song.
007
I don't know. He should have finished his NYSC and is prolly working in some bank....ok, Ikid, I haven't really heard from him in a loooooooong while.
fantasy queen
why do i sense this sympathy for brainy brian?
at 15, I know a couple of girls who had had serious relationships.
prayer sessions by you? puhlease!! lol!
la reine
Im a brainy chic now? why won't I find my way to brainy guys? I don't want anybody dulling me down.
as for the song, thanks. glad someone liked it. it was just for effect :)
Your mum is gangsta, I like her...lol
all this your.."almost kissed","just held hands" and the subliminals....
I know the list is longer than this shey? with more agents and different job descriptions from the ones we have seen here...
you did not write about agent chairman. lol
Zephi
I like her too...now, not so sure about then. we used to think she was just being wicked.
longer list? pls dont koballize me oh! i dont know what u're talking about. j/k.
I only wrote about these ones cos they were...so pure and innocent, yet at that time, i thought I had boyfriends, lol!
jinta
who's agent chairman? *lost look*, lol!
so, you write a post about the 'almosts'. How about the 'actuals'?
Come on out with it, my fvriend...
agent: orange
qualifications: toxic agent
Job experience: destroyed crops in Vietnam but never dated Bumight.
All these bookworm toasters that you attracted like book attracts worms sef.
ROFLMAO@naapali
Very good one...
Yet more anecdotal evidence that being a nice guy is A Bad Thing.I do think I'd have liked First Infatuation.And Henry.They sound like good people.
Wow! u've had so many of them sha. Lol!
Solomonsydelle
the actuals? em....em.... maybe another time...i guess, lol!
Naapali
Diddy was far from bookworm, so was thierry henry. I guess I need mental stimulation shey?
Nine
I didnt say being a nice guy is bad. Brainy Brian wasn't being nice, that was the ONLY thing we talked about. books! books!! not even novels, SSCE and JAMB type books, as if I wasn't nerdy enough!
I still like First infatuation, Henry has changed a whole lot, but he's still a nice guy...I think *shrug*
Today's Rantings
that's not So many if you really think about it. moreover, I'm a fine babe :) hehehehe
i can relate to lil henry...i get too close to women i like and thereby lose the chance to date them...
but then how is one supposed to date someone who one doesn't know or who isn't a friend?..oh dear
PS: err..my pix nko??
Indeed almost doesn't count.
My dad was "Brainy Brian", he totly won mumc's heart with past questions.
Av a lvli wkend.
genius
The secret is to declare your intentions FIRST or early on BEFORE becoming too close, else you end up in the friendship zone.
oluwadee
so that means there's hope for all the "Brainy Brians" out there, lol!
Nine, did you hear?!
i like this post made me laugh
thanks B, but then its not like when u meet someone for the 1st time u immediately know u'd like to date them..probably the feelings come with time..laters
still laffin
lol!
Your mum must have gotten tired of you and ur boys.
Now that we know the 'almosts', when do we get to the 'actuals'?
Nice post though. I'd even learnt a few things about my days as a 'Bobo Nice' myself.
how come ur mom was always finding ur cards..was she rummaging throught your stuff ni?
mirage
glad you like it
genius
its more like early on, not the very first time.
aphrodite
actually, I was a good child *angel halo*, she knew i was just being a teenager, and moreover isn't it her fault that she gave birth to a babe? :)
nimmo
maybe I'll write about the actuals someday, y'all know that i love makin lists anyways..
pink-satin
you best believe it. we always used to say you couldnt hide anything from her, maybe luck was always on her side? dunno
bumight, so your parents sent you to school to go and be doing all dese abi... o ku re....
wassap homie....
Awwwww, this was so cute. Agent D'Diddy seems like an All-American jock. LOL. I think I liked First Infatuation the most, though.
LMAO....momsie was d shiznit mehn,enuf "community" policing!
I knw females quite well,all these "agents" are d guys dat u really didnt lyk,y dnt u fill us in on d brad pitts n romeos.....
my email is silvaqrenci@yahoo.com
n yeah,wts up wit da qualification--neva kissed,almost kissed e.t.c....u "neva been kissed?"
lai lai! I knw u hav bin kissed,tell us bout those ones...lol
anu boy
actually... it was part of the curriculum lol!. how u dey?
Queen
I liked first infatuation the most too. After a while, diddy started getting on my nerves.
wellsbaba
nah, I didnt say that. I actually put up a post on my first kiss. go look fr it. :)
BumTight...where is my comment???
You better put it back oh...
mogbe! read my post about how late a bloomer i was so can understand my shock at ur "escapades"...lol
na wa for ur mum o, she just dey spoil ur runs, ehn? sorry...lol
funny post, me likey!
Lmao @ ur mom. Bumight u are a virgin.....u can deny it all u want but u knw I knw.
hey B, am thinking 007 might be brainy..this one he's asking..lol
and agent chairman by jinta is whoever u r currently with...all these na topping or appetizers, where is the main course?..lol
Afrobabe
I don't know where it is o! can u repost it, pretty please?
smaragd
I won't exactly call them escapades. I don't think I received any more attention than any one else in my grade, th only thing is I moved through grades faster than my age
desperate lady
I'm not even going to jump to that bait, Love.
soupasexy
I don't think 007 is brainy. I dont think, I know, Brainy is not married. as for the main course.... I just might blog about him later.
Unique writing style, nice blog.
love the BF history. Too cute. I told my best friend about my crush on this dude in HS and she hit on him, they dated 'til we graduated. Ironically that didn't affect my relationship with her then. Now, I'm older. Everytime I think about her, all I remember are her skanky ways.
Nice Blog.
Good gawd. Don't.(Read my archives that is) My life is not nearly has interesting has yours. I've been living vicariously through you for the past few hours...lol, LOVE YOUR BLOG!!
I've tried to subscribe to your feed and for some reason it's not working, can you fix it??
Also, I could not respond to your comment cos I don't have an email address for you.
mine is atestnny@gmail.com.
see what you went and did? Created a stalker outta me.
aww..tht was well written..very sweet!!!
I enjoyed reading this-throughly. "Almost doesn't count"-was my song for the longest time. Now that I think about it, I have had quite a few "almosts". Great post. Well written. When do we get to hear about the actuals?..lol
LOL!
Teenage romance.
We all passed that stage abeg!
So babe can u tell us about the ones that counted *wink*
girl ur heart and head has been busy. only you?
cute, cute, cute....loved reading these...sooo innocent and sweet...now, for the nitty gritty...
...i'm with ssd and n.i.m.m.o....the actuals please...and lol @ naapali...
Hmmm.... Just thinking. If I had to go down memory lane, is there enough space in blogville? Just kidding!
Well, here's to no more frogs and 'no thorough fares'.
waaaiit firssst! are u telling me that not even a single smooch came out of that gist! Meen! i don vex! u must be kidding me. Those boys must be slackers. No be for my adugbo. Pant must fall, period!
Come..BumTight...is ur plan to write one post for the month of April????
abi o afro. ie 12 posts in a year.
hmm, madam u were quite an early starter o
& sure if u see brainy brian now, ur jaws would drop. some patient girl has coached him on d ways of women
U had sum interestin toasterz o!! lol
Had to read this one before reading part 2. I was just thinking...these days the babes don't reach JS1 before the first kiss. And the boys these days are proactive.
Nice one shared. Let me go to the part 2.
i came here from part 2..so will go read that in a bit..
wow u changed schools a couple of times..did that affect u in anyway...??
first time here-i really wonder how come cuz i have been seeing your name around blogville
Very interesting
Na wa o... Una sabi hold hands sha..!!
I wonder what kinda mom you would be though..? when you have a little one who brings home the infamous love cards..
Post a Comment