With my passport safely in my mother’s wardrobe, under her “isale-apoti”, I was holding the last document I needed to make my dreams come true – my one way ticket to America.
I had looked forward to, dreamt, and even tasted this day for the past 3 months. The only thing I would be truly missing was my boyfriend, Wale.
Not that I wouldn’t be missing my parents, but my relationship was barely 4 months old, and like most foolish 21 year olds, that was what mattered most to me.
I tucked the most precious piece of paper into the crevices of my purse, and secured it underneath my arm. No way was I going to let an area-boy snatch my dreams at the last inopportune minute.
“Mushin Oloosha, one more chance!”
That was the last prompting I needed, before I jumped on the bus that was going to take me into the waiting arms of my Romeo. My flight was scheduled to leave at 11.45pm tonight, and if I was ever going to get a chance to say a proper goodbye to Wale, now was the time to do it. The trip to the travel agent had been relatively short, and I had made it out by 12.15pm. I had at least three hours to burn.
There would be no romantic goodbyes at the airport. No shedding of tears as I hugged him tight and refuse to let go. There would be no last minute reaffirmations about how much he loved me, and how he would wait for me. He wouldn’t be there to wave at my plane as it took off – because my parents didn’t know I had a boyfriend. Instead I would be at the airport with my entire family and listen to little know-the-daughter-of-whom-you-are speeches, as eloquently rendered by my father.
“Iyana-Itire!”
“o wa o!”, I shouted in response to the conductor, and alighted from the bus.
I walked the five minute walk from the bus stop to his house deep in thought. I knew Wale was waiting for me. I didn’t need to call him to confirm, I didn’t have a phone on me anyways.
I opened their gate with the know-how that anyone who was a regular visitor to the house would possess. They always left the padlock to the gate outside, so once you let yourself in, you opened the pedestrian gate, replaced the lock and closed the gate from inside. I had made roughly ten trips to number 8, Ijeshatedo street, Iyana Itire, Mushin, and so I would know.
Wale and his housemate were watching a movie when I came in. As soon as he saw me, he rose up to hug me and in the same instant his housemate disappeared. We did all the last minute catching up and small talk before Wale took my hand and became serious.
“Shalewa, so what time did you say you’re leaving”
“11:45pm, this night”
“so this is the last time I’m seeing you right?”
“you can say so” I replied trying to make light of the situation even though I knew where this was going.
“Shalewa, you know how I feel about you, and you know that I’m going to wait for you. As far as I’m concerned you’re my wife”
There he goes again with this whole wife thingy, the thought of that alone gives me shivers. Not that I didnt want to be his wife, I just hated the thought of marriage at my age.
“Shalewa, you have to promise me that you won’t disappoint me when you get over there” he said, interrupting my thoughts.
“of course Wale, I won’t betray you, I’ve told you that a dozen times already”
“In that case, lets make a pact, a covenant”
I jerked, and sat up in that instant. “Wale, where did all this one come from, I’m not making any stupid covenant o”
“I’m not asking you to do anything bad, I just want us to swear on the Bible that we would keep ourselves pure for each other”
Now he had me pinned to the wall. If I didn’t make this “pact” he would be convinced that I had other plans.
“Alright, bring the Bible”
Wale brought out a white bible on which we both swore to be faithful to each other.
“Now, we have to seal it by making love” he announced after we were done with the pact.
“you didn’t tell me that one before Wale” I protested, although I sounded feeble even to my own ears.
“The pact would not be complete if we don’t do it, besides you’re travelling and only God knows when next I’m going to see you again” he persuaded “Moreover, remember that we have just promised to remain faithful to one another, I’m not going to do this again for a very long time, and you’re leaving this night”
“but Wale…”
The rest of my sentence was lost as he placed his mouth on mine.
‘Shalewa now, we just made a pact with the Bible, as far as everything goes, we are already married….”
And so on the rug right in front of the television at number 8 Ijeshatedo street, Iyana-Itire, Mushin, Wale claimed my virginity.
P.S: Characters in this text are purely fictional. Any semblance to any real life persons is co-incidental and regretted.
PPS: this is largely unedited, I finished writing this twenty minutes before my test. No, I didnt fail my test.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

50 comments:
Olorun maje – Swear kini? Why do couples do that crap? The only promise you are meant to make to each other is during marriage. All this blood, Bible, Koran, and Igbin (snails) covenant eludes me completely…
Bumight is it no 5 or 8 ijeshatedo, not that it really matters...
Shalewa is a mugu and Wale has just placed a curse on his own head cause judging from his character – he will not wait for her... unless he wants to come to obodo oyinbo.
thanks babe, I corrected it.
Hope you are so full of regeret O!
There was nothing coincidental about that story. By the way, where did you meet Salewa.
Honestly I was serious when I made her swear that day and I didn't know she was still a virgin.
Please tell her I'm still waiting for her and that I haven't been unfaithful.
Allied, true daughter of the shoil, swear ko swear ni. That one na baba nla soul tie.
Good work Dr Bumight
oh ma lord..................
dis one na sumnn else o. anybody wey say make i swear... thunda will 4eva rape them!!
loved the write up
For real this is a serious soul tie ohh...Swear ko, pact ni.
Allied said it all...
Pact???
That is one shit I dont get myself involved in..be it by bible or razor...I no do..
Nice work darling....does bear some semblance to a lil someone I know though...
u got me there, darling! u absolutely got me there! i tot it was u o. it read so real! wow. very nice, dear
@FFF
haba babes!! lolllll
boom boom 'chop knuckles' jare
i like..
Covenant bi ti bawo???
This is just like one of them yoruba movies.
babe just lost her virginity 4 noting, the guy already had it all planned out.
If u wrote this b4 ur test, u need to write more when u r having a test.
Loud hiss @ Salewa!!!!!!
Covenant? with all the things we see in Yoruba films? she should have used her sense abeg
dang, i also thought it was u!
this is fiction? seriously? u just spoilt my day then.
and really? make love to seal it after swearing with the Bible? God must have turned his ears.
lol...
For real thot u wr talkin abt u, ha U r wicked o! I jst wasted som precious tears on NATIN!
Bt hw on earth wl any1 make a Bible pact & seal it wt fornication?!
I'm so lost here, I need help really.
Oops... dnt blame Wale cos Sha-baby wanted to say goodbye da 'proper way': takes 2 to do wat agn?!
So u pasd ur test uhn? Efiwe ni e o
Uhhhhmmmm, luv ur blog alredi! wud I b hie alwez? U bet! wud I win a prize soon? U knw now.
Luv ur spirit (in writing sha o).
Takia...
My question pls: U r nt married shey? (silly I askd snc U r stl dreamin of a honeymoon getaway!).
Pele...
Lord av mercy. Amin.
Nice story, something similar with me when i was leavning but mines was he said i should use blade cut myself, he cut himself and we would mix blood.
I said GOD FORBID and REJECTED HIM IN JESUS NAME. He was pissed for a while but eventually got over it.
.lol...what in the world?...you make pact with bible and then 'make love' on the rug in front of the tv?...its a lie o!!...shalewa...no, wale, na wa o!!!...hopefully shalewa's eye don clear!!!...
I'm with sista Allied on this one o.
God forbid bad thing. Any man who forcefully marks territory or seeks to make a woman his possession ain't worth my time.
Loving the story telling and in first person too. Me likee.
Naijaleta
I met salewa when she came to us for counselling. yea, i knew it was u all along. why do u think i read ur blog?
30+
thanks! :)
Mz Dee
thunda rape them? that's deep, lol!
archiwiz
i share ur sentiments
shubby doo
she sure did!
afrobabe
u'll be surprised at the number of people who have gone through such or something similar to this
Florida
by now I shouldnt be getting u so easy now, abi?
LG
here's the knuckle!
Oluwadee
very true. that's why i like yoruba movies, lots of substance.
write more before a test? if I do I'll fail!
fluffycutething
some people dont watch yoruba films you know, lol! maybe the hiss should be for Wale?
buttercup
ok, seriously, you should stop falling for this! lol!
Uzezi
quite abominable, I know.
Sola
the tears are good. there's no need for help, this is fiction. Sha-baby wanted to say goodbye but she might not have known that she was going to lose her virginity.
no, I'm not married. have fun on the blog!
Femi B
I'm so glad you refused to go through with it. Blood covenants are much much more deeper, not that anyone is better anyways.
A lot of people who go through with it dont fully know the implication of what they are doing.
guerreiranigeriana
one of the greatest contradictions shey?
naijalines
very true. the sooner lots of females realize this the better.
thanks. I usually write in first person....then I get all emotionally caught up in the character! lol!
incredibly great read! abeg finish am soon o. am waiting!!
Shalewa fell for another one of dem tricks didn't she? The moment she's out of the door Wale starts shagging someone else.
Thanks for the advise you gave. I'll send you a mail later
good girl! u surprised me by answering those qstns in the last post, even though u dodged some artfully...lol
nice story, too bad for Shalewa.
Wale is a bastard iya iya o! wale is a gbajue iya iya o! wale is a jibiti iya iya o!
Shalewa is a maga, iya iya o! shalewa she haf gawk it, iya iya o!
I can so relate to this post but swear ke? On the bible again? Lia lia o! Infact swear and seal it with luv making...I bow!
LOL
Read like a true life story...
Sharp guy Wale..LOL
PS: glad 2 know u passed ur test..tk cre
Wow. I'm sure this is the story of some.
Sad.
B'tful narration.
Simi speaks
i think its finished. i guess...
kay-shawn
lets not jump to conclusions.
you're welcome
Esmeragd
u were surprised? i thot u'd be excited!
badderchic
lol! u're a trip!
tairebabs
a lot of people can relate. the things people use the bible for shey?
the genius within
sadly, its the true life story for some people...
jaycee
yeah, it is.
Aloofar
thanks!
fiction ko fiction ni
abeg bumight talk true..
lol..kidding
nice story, should we be expecting a part two
why do we always ve to be d bad ones?
I'm still waiting 4 d day ladies on blogville will begin to write good stuffs abt us.
beautiful write-up!
my issue like most is swearing on the bible and then doing the do straight after!Hmmmm...and i just dont make no pacts wiv no1!! Great work though..and i thought it was you all along..LOL..
This may be fiction but it is the story of many a girl. I hope someone learns the lesson in this.
Babes will there be a sequel?
Nice one.
This may be fiction but it is the story of many a girl. I hope someone learns the lesson in this.
Babes will there be a sequel?
Nice one.
After swearing wiv bible they now made love. They forgot fornication is not allowed in the bible. Besides, I dont think it makes sense to swear wiv anyone.... Words of assurance is all that is needed in a relationship...
ive actually been dulling! how comes i havent found ur blog before now!!
ahn ahn, but covenant?, pact?.....come, the guy should take it easy.
bumight, instead of you to do revision ehn, you are blogging, LOL....i need to have a word with your financial sponsor.
ahem...the moment i read this was fictional i took a deep breath of relief, i know my cousin wouldnt fall for that line.
She must be silly. The guy has a replacement already why go through all that nonsense and then to couple it up with fornication na wa o, yes o Yoruba movies has indeed opened all our eyes to all this covenant issues, poor Shalewa..... Silly girl.
WTF, u mean to say this is fiction, and to think dat i just added u to blog list at the thot of keeping track on this hot, spicy romance????
LOL. well written sha
Zephi G
I'm sorry for betraying your confidence and blogging about ur story, lol!
musco
I'm not trying to paint guys as bad people. these things do happen, especially when people feel they are in "love".
shonavixen
thanks! what if they had made the pact and didnt make love?
aphrodite
I doubt that there would be a sequel. I have such a short attention span. it'll be fustrating for the readers!
standtall
you're totally right. Actually if you're traveling and u dont think that u're coming back anytime soon, just break up.
flabby
you've actually found my blog before, I remember u leaving a comment here before!
naija sutra
em...em...what had happened was....revision.....woreva!, lol!
fantasy queen
you were holding ur breath before?! lol!
laughter
he might not have a replacement already, but he sure is going to get one sooner or later!
doll
lol! fiction baby! hot and spicy? i dont think so!
crap this is the second tyme u are gettin me.nyce stori
haba... what kinda swear be that one.... me i no fit do am o....
i was beginin 2 wonda wen u were gona feature in dt story nw becos d only way u cld hv featured in dt story ws d point whr he said dy shd make love n ud go smtn lyk..stop rigt thr!insult upon injury..or in d usual yorvba muvi dramatics..en en wale so dis is hw u go abt deflowerin young girls.oloun mu e.im bk...r u redi 2 marry me now like u promisd at ds same spot 5yrs ago n tht wl b opeyemi aiyeolas words.u knw dt chic frm madam dearest.
all i can say is wow!
HA!
hilarious story.
If it was you, it woulda been an even greater laugh.
Bumight? Why change to Bumtight?
HA! So u're the bumight that yeye Vera dedicated a whole post to? I see she has moved on. See, in the year nineteen-before-the-war, Vera 'n i used to be tight, she used to be the ying to my yang, shey u get? But, due to her nature, i had to divorce her and now i see she has found a "blogger fresher" to prey on. ANyway, i just said i shld advise u o(lol)
Back to the post, this story so reminds me of my 1st bf in naija. We only dated for abt 4 months b4 i had to leave to come here, the boy was telling me to promise him that i will not hv another bf besides him, that i'll wait for him. Me that i knew that after leaving naija that day only God knows when next i'd see him, i didn't promise o. Funny thing is that i'm sure if the boy wasn't a christian he would've done the exact same thing. Interestingly enough his name is also Wale.
chei!!! poor shalewa. Gini bu pact???? what useless pact. I would've been like I don't swear in my religion, at all; with things in heaven, on earth or underneath the earth. All for what? faithfulness. No, not me. Hahaha. Great story. I love the disclaimer at the end too.
Post a Comment