cast of Lion king. photo courtesy broadway.comyou've probably seen the disney movie, who hasnt?, but if you've not seen the broadway performance then me thinks that experience isn't complete.
I had the fortune of seeing the live broadway performance yesterday (thanks boo!) and I'm still reeling from the experience.
I hve always wondered how they would get humans to act like animals. That was the reason why I was never keen on seeing it, but when everybody started raving about it, I started getting curious.
First, I must say they really pulled it off. Some of the costumes were so on point, and they managed to find a good middle ground between man and animal. The lady that played Nala, Dany'elle Williamson had such graceful moves, it was easy to forget that she was human and not feline. Young Simba and Nala,played by Nicholas Ashe and Sade LouAnn Murray respectively were equally as good, especially since they were only 11 years old.
My best character in the whole production was Rafiki, played by Phindile Mkhize. She totally blew me away and gave me goosebumps every time she opened her mouth!
Phindile Mkhize as Rafiki. Photo by Joan MarcusIf at any time I was in doubt South Africans have perfected the art of singing with the same expertise that the East Africans have perfected long distance running and their West African brothers football, my doubts were laid to rest yesterday. Too bad there's no singing sport in the olympics because I'm sure the South Africans would have won gold, silver and bronze!. Most of the ensemble (if not all) were South Africans and they actualy kilt it! There was a scene where they performed without any instruments and their voices sent shivers down my spine! of course Rafiki had to be South African, because there was no way they could get away with anybody else playing that part.
*Ensemble . photo courtsey broadwayworld There was also this scene where some dancers were in flesh colored body suit (at least I want to believe so). The lead guy had such a firm butt! damn!...ok, I know I'm going off topic here, but I had to mention that butt (no pun intended)
I don't know how my boyfriend managed to get the tickets, cos the production was sold out before the cast even came to town. thanks darl! My next stop is the broadway production of The color purple or Rent.
PS: The lion king tour dates:
Columbus OH: 08.29.08 - 09.28.08
East Lansing MI : 03.18.2009 - 04.19.2009
Kansas city MO : 10.04.08 - 11.08.09
New York, NY : 07.15.08 - 03.30.09
Sacramento CA: 05/30/2008 - 06.06.09
Temple AZ: 01.02.09 - 02.08.09

52 comments:
first! nice review
I am sure you had fun..you totally sound it..
Native south Africans can sing..
Someone has likened their singing to that of the black american slaves...this is cos they sing with the passion of the oppressed...
as for west africa leading in football...............
ok 3rd!!!!!!
"South Africans have perfected the art of singing with the same expertise that the East Africans have perfected long distance running and their West African brothers football."
Why don't I agree with the football bit???
wow. u r making me so much want 2 watch it!!!!!
Ha, Lucky you. Guess whenever the show comes to the muson centre, we'd get our chance to see it.
Ha, the lion king, i grew up on that fantastic movie..still love it, doesn't seem to age to me..
Have a good one
i was watching a programme about Solomon Linda the other night...and the way he sang 'Mbube' or Lion Sleeps tonight' really touched me. Its such a shame he didnt benefit from it @ all!!
Those in the UK should go and see
Afrika!Afrika! its another great showcase of African talent!!
i love the cartoon but i went to see this at the west end in london about 6 weeks ago and i was totally blown away by it. i got special seats so that we would see the animals and touch the animals as the came in.
wonderful
a must for all
lol@flesh coloured suit scene... was that to show that it was mating season?...i didn't get the need otherwise.
anyway at the show i went for all the kids kept saying 'see daddy (or mommy) the guy hasn't got any clothes on'...even i had to do double take *blushes*... firm butt indeed
Now I want to watch the show. They've been in my city time and time again but I've always been like whatever.
I'm going to find the next time they are coming.
Great review.
Nooo, they are not coming to my city anytime soon, not even in any neighboring state for a year. :-(
I'm jealous and wishing I am Julia Roberts character in Pretty Woman, so Richard Gere can use his private jet and fly me over just to see that performance.
awww. wish i could watch it. u sound like u really had a gr8 time.
doll
thanks!
afrobabe
yeah,their voices are just orgasmic! lol!
west Africa has dominated football. its either nigeria, cameroon or Ghana that's the top team in Africa.
Oluwadee
of course you have to agree with the football bit,
cameroon -15th in world, 1st in Africa
Ghana - 19th in world, 2nd in Africa
Egypt - 21st and 3rd
cote d'Ivoire 25th, and 4th
Nigeria, 27th and 5th....
should I go on?
Florida
you should see it!
genius
yeah, the show doesnt age. It has become the longest running show on broadway.
shonavixen
it really does show Africa's talent. I'm looking up Solomon Linda right now!
shubby doo
lucky you! I was at the very top of the arena, but the good part of it was that I didnt get to focus on the actors and could take it in as a whole.
yeah, at some point I had to try to convince myself that he had clothes on. hmn....
invisible
you should see it anytime they come. i was thinking of going to see it in New york, didnt know they would be in my city. believe me, its worth waiting for a year to see it!
Uzezi
lol, pele. Richard Gere isnt the only one with a private jet you know?
naija idol
I sure did have a swell time!
Hmm...Our Naija brothers had better do well tomorrow ohh...
That looks great. On stage experiences are usually out-of-this world...I would like to see Wicked...Good job to your boo! Many brownie points to him for this.
Nice review...pics and all.
You make me want to see it like right now. I love South African singing. So raw, passionate, heavenly...
I would love to see the broadway production of TCP too. That must be quite comething. The movie is one of my best of all time.
@ Shona Vixen
I saw Africa Africa! in the UK about 3 months ago. I was going to review it on my blog but time...I guess. It's def some show!
nice...I like the play on the colors with their costumes...nice review by the way....
I haven'e seen the theatre performance of Lion King before. I'm sure I will enjoy it.
NOOOOO!!! I'm jealous, y do you get to see such a wonderful stage act and i don't.
And i know there no way they'd be showing in this my little village island.
Yea, and i love that line from Robbins, (ur header)is it from the neoplasms chapter?
@ mizchif: Robbins? Neoplasms?
One word...NERDS!! you and bumight both. lol
or better still, let us into the wonderful world of Medical Humor so we can share in you all's nerdiness.
i want! who'll take me to broadway? you give a good review(especially the butt), they should pay you for it...
oh wow...never actually heard of it. Now im going to go try and see it...if i can that is
archiwiz
on-stage experiences rock! especially since there's no room for errors. I'll be delivering his brownie points to him :)
incongnaija
thanks!
naijalines
you should see it when you get the chance. I know TCP is going to be great too!
chari
colors were a huge part of the production, and they worked it well also.
kay-shawn
you definitely will!
mizchif
*smirk* you can come see it in the states or even when u go to jand.
yeah, the quote is from the chapter on neoplasm in robbins!
incognaija
don't be jealous! you should be able to get the joke once u read the quote and my reply to mizchif
fantasy queen
who'll take you to broadway? do u want me to give the short list or the long list? lol
but really, the guy's butt was.....
niceguy
yeah, u should!
rily nice review.. i shud go see a broadway sumtym... wonder hw colour purple wud be o..
Ah, i dey always gbadun stage performances o! Omo, I envy u o... Broadway!!
And hey, stop mentioning d b/f here o; people like me go vex... ;-)
Nice one sha!
i had so many oppurtunities to see them perform here in SA, i ddnt go! hisssssssssssssssssssssssss
oh yea, the average south african has a beautiful voice..i beef them in that aspect..
lol at the firm butt..
wow I remember seeing a snippet of the play on the Oprah show when I was about 13 and since then I have always wanted to see the show. they haven't come anywhere around me, but I plan to catch it sometime in my lifetime..Great review girlie!!!..xoxo
spot on with the skills round Africa but i wont give Southern Africa music, only sad 'freedom' songs...i love theatre...&i used to do stage plays in the past, in uni...i missed Afrika Afrika tickets...& i'm so jealous that you saw this show...meanwhile, what is North Africa known for?
you are sooooooo lucky.
*sob sob* envious me *bats eyelids*
sure you had fun.
lol, so I didn't finish reading the review because I actually want to go see the play on Broadway.
What a great review. Now I wish I could see it for myself. I always have doubts about humans acting out animal characters as well. Hope I get to see it...some day.
Hey!
Just came across your blog! its way too kool girl !!
oh wow..that sounds like so much fun
where can one go for this shows?
Mz dee
I'll tell you how TCP is when I go see it!
fineboy agbero
me sef, I've vexed on ur blog.
buttercup
your case is that of a tailor's son wearing rags!. I dont believe u haven't seen it!
Ms O
yeah, i first heard about the production when I watched the cast on Oprah.
baroque
I guess the north Africans can also share in the soccer fame.
badderchic
yeah, yeah, I'm lucky. I know, no need to rub it in, lol!
abbie
yeah, u should see it, and gist us about it when u do.
tairebabs
trust me, all my doubts flew out of the window, during the first scene, which happened to be the circle of life scene.
death princess
thanks!
Zephi
http://www.vividseats.com/theatre/lion-king-tickets.html
check there for schedules.
oooh!!! i love lion king...my absolute favoritest disney movie ever...i have seen the show @ disneyworld a few times and i was blown away..i can just imagine broadway *sigh* someday!
first time here..nice
this is me rubbin it in
u just made me wish i was in the US. i would dearly love to see this... *pouts*
u were watching something so interesting and all u could see was the lead guys' cute butt?!!! with boyfee by ur side? ...i'm off to report u...
lol
i liked ur archiwiz-like blog entry. i guess u can alternate just to spice things up.
Too bad its not coming to Houston. Thanks for your review you sound like you had a GREAT time.
I have heard good things about The Color Purple...when u see it please do another review :)
You make me wanna see it.
NIce review.
I'm gonna assume Nigeria is not on the list of the leading West African footballers.
Why didn't you put a picture of the tight butt?
aaahhhh, wish i cld get to c dat, esp dat guy's butt... lol
I saw the production a while back
It was one of the most amazing performances I've ever seen
I didnt want it to end...
I would pay again and again to see it again
Give boo a kiss for me you hear?
man! that is some colorful ensemble!
I miss going for live drama shows. I need to go to one baaaaaaadly!!
reverence
the show in disneyworld, was it a live show?
stop by more often!
badderchic
lol!
esmeralda
I mean the butt was right in my face,I just had to look, lol! boyfie saw it too!
dat one okrika girl
I think it already came to houston. will definitely blog about it when i see The Color Purple
Aphrodite
then my work here is done!
vera
of course Nigeria is on the list, before nko?
we weren't supposed to take pictures inside or else u bet I would have taken one of the tight but to hang on my wall!
rayo
that's the only part of the show u want to see? lol,i dont blame you sha...
NDQ
me too!
princesa
will do! infact I'll give him two!
Afronuts
yeah, they really played with the colors. you should go see one you know, and if you're in Naija, you should go see the Vagina Monologues. Thats one production I'm still dying to see!
Cant wait to read your chat-up line entries!
Wow...awesome review! A friend has been trying to get me to see the lion king but I've been dismissing it. I may have to go see it now. I saw Afrika Afrika I dont know if they came to the states too but its the most fantastic live performance ever...African are indeed talented.
I've seen it,its amazing! SA guys can rily sing!d harmonization of humans n animals was awesome...but I didnt see all sha
Post a Comment