twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Friday, November 7, 2008

I used to ...

1. Smile
all the time. It was almost like the smile was plastered on my face, like the joker. When walking on the street, random people would ask me what I was smiling about. Nothing, I usually told them. That smile, it always attracted attention. It was a great conversation starter- and a great pick up line too.

In boarding school, I remember being almost punished a couple of times cos I refused to stop smiling. The seniors would call me for no reason and ask me to frown. I only smiled harder. Usually they ended up buying me chin-chin.

For the one year I was in college in Nigeria, in my fellowship, there was no question as to what group/subgroup I was to be placed in. Follow up and Ushering.
Then something happened. I don't even recall losing it, it just wasn't there anymore.
The reality hit me when one of the doctors I worked with over the summer said, "wow! she's smiling. you never smile".
"really?" I asked.
then my pastor said something along those lines, and I knew I had lost my smile.

I'm now consciously working on getting it back.
Now that you've been warned, don't be surprised if you see me smiling sheepishly at you. I don't think you're hot, I'm just trying to get my smile back.


2. be cool
now I'm razz. there, I said it!
you would imagine that when you come to yankee you become "creamer", not in my case. I think I'm razzer than I left naija, I'm still deciding on whom to blame.

My habits, my music selection, I just know. In Nigeria I would never ask for food at a gathering/party. Now, I only go to organizational meetings after I've been assured there'll be food (and good food too) and at parties, I reach for the take-away plate without shame.

I don't think listening to Nigerian music like Asa, Naeto C, P-square even 9ice is razz, but when I'm mouthing off to "Somebody call my name" and intermittently letting out "showky bobo", "sempe!" then we clearly have a problem. I didn't even like daddy showkey in Naija. Gawd! what happened to me?

3. be a lepa.
now I'm handing back my lepa pass in exchange for my orobo tag. This probably deserves a post on its own, but I recently stepped on the scales (since my roommate now has a scale in the house) and the evidence was there. see, I don't usually keep track of my weight, and my clothes have been fooling me. I still fit perfectly into my size 3 jeans and small tops, even though my size 1 jeans are becoming a little tight. So I didn't know how it happened.

Anyways, I just discovered that I've crossed my panic-if-you-get-to-this-weight! weight. Today the scales read 140Ibs. I screamed.
140Ibs might look small, but a couple of years ago it looked so far off. My friends are not helping matters either. My closest friend in school says I need to gain weight, my girlfriends say otherwise, some say I'm ok. the scales insist that I'm 140 Ibs.
I hereby declare that I'm on going on the diet! the thought is laughable, even to me!


you guys wanna share yours?

42 comments:

Chris Ogunlowo said...

Bumight the Razzy!!! ;)

aloted said...

men i am so with u on number 2...that is the story of my life!

am glad to know you are getting ur smile back...very important :)

Nigerian Drama Queen said...

On being lepa:Bumight if I flog you eh! If you can fit into a size 3 pair of jeans, you can not, I repeat not, be granted access into the orobo club. When your size is double digits..maybe! As for pounds, remember that different things like water rentention, muscle gain, height, your period, etc can influence the numbers on the scale. I dont do scales anymore cuz they can be very depressing and very false.

On being razz: Omo I feel you! If there is no free food at an event now I dont go again. Meanwhile in 9ja you wanna front die!lol. And then I want to blame the music too. But razz is the new cool-so nothing DOES us jo!

Nigerian Drama Queen said...

Oh and keep smiling boo:-)

Nefertiti said...

Yay! I made top 5 today...

I used to have a permanent scowl. I still do. I smile occassionally. Some people might think I'm snobbish, but I have the biggest heart. I laugh a lot since I met the love of my life ;-)

I used to be lepa just like you. I actually used to do fashion shows for JHDC. I watch those videos, and realize I'm not even remotely close to how I looked then. When hunger don wire my head finish, how I no go lepa- story for another day.

I was relatively 'cream' when I was a JJC here o. I have however never like showkey. I prolly never will. If you see me digging 'Lori le' now ehn, you would think I've always been some isale eko chic. What can I say razz is the nu kewl...lol feyin e, babes... o wa pa ;-)

Femi B said...

I used to be a crack addict
I used to sell a lil cooch on the side
I used to I used to...i kid oh


Well seriously number 2 is the answer. I go tto yankee and I became razzer...my mum says "Femi B ..haba they would say na ghana i send you oh". Its cool to be razz men..razz is the new cool... I also used to be a serious Tomboy...now i'd say i'm a lil girly.. maybe i turned a new leaf when i came to yankee and was telling this lesbian i was a tomboy and she started to wink wink at me.....

LovePaprika said...

That smile one is just the deep one oh pls can u not be smiling lol i'll punish you...! omg I have never been the smiling one:( so when I smile people feel damn!! I kinda like the 'ice queen' effect though...although close friends know better!

Tell me something about being cool!!!! argh it hurts its piercing . I'm quoting things from 9ice's song like 'CJHI' lETS GO THERE...wats dat pls!!! IMPORTER EXPORTER KOKOWATER! im a razzite now mehn 4get lol and the weird is people would never know! lol except close friends of course lol

ChiefO said...

smile: i used to smile a lot too,(heck i beat down my family friend and i was smiling) but the people of the world kind of changed that. dont get me wrong i still smile but its not pure like it used to be. under it theres a lot of hurt.

razz: i dont consider myself razz, i'm just who i am. im that dude who is always in a happy mood and doesnt give a rats ass wat ppl think as regards. see me dancing to kegite songs at naija day parade.

LEPA: are guys referred to as lepa or its strictly a female thing. im the commander in chief of stuff ur face (i still heard the,"u gonna eat all of that" speech this morning at work) i can throw things down yet u wonder why on earth i dont gain weight. all i could say is im gifted.


maibe i'll follow u and make a blog entry in this format of urs. maibe not about Lepa but we'll see. stay tuned

bumight said...

@aloofar: and you're the cool one? yeah right!

@aloted: you mean I'm not alone?

@NDQ: lol, i blame my roommate for the scale. I'm definitely not growing taller so its not the height.I pray i dont enter the double digits anytime soon o!
talk about frontin in naija! i cant count how many parties i went to in naija and I starved myself cos i didnt want to look razz, lol!

@nerfertiti: me too! I used to do fashion shows, and sometimes when i look at the pics I looked so small :(
you dont even want to see me doing lori le. one day at the club I let loose to Lori le, the guy i was dancing with was following me for the night! I guess razz is the new cool afterall!

@Femi B: lol, i have even infected all my cream friends, lmao at ur lesbian friend, that's enuff to make me go extra-girly!

@misslove: that 9ice song (party rider) is one of my favorites too! but what would we do when its no longer fashionable to be razz?

@chiefo:yup! the "people of the world" stole my smile too.
guys can be lepa, and I HATE all of you who just chow down and dont gain weight, if i ever tried that, jeez!

Toluwa said...

with u on all three babe!

i lost my smile..and i think yankee does that. Everyone i know has become stiff and frown-faced since landing here. Its hard to get that smile back when ppl keep pissing me off. Except when Obama won sha!

Razz? I cldnt be any razzer(if thats a word)! My cuz thinks am the most razzest thing she has ever come across...and in naija, my friend thot i was butta..lol! Bt i luv being razz, at least in yankee...wen in naija, am a lil more "yankee babe"! lol!

lepa...i weighed 129 wen i came..a size 6. now? am 145...a size 8. And i cant seem to loose the damn thing! no matter what i do. I av been starving myself for weeks and i only lost 5lbs! I feel like i woke up one morning and found all that fat in my tummy! my waist has gone beserk!

Toluwa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LovePaprika said...

we would 'unrazz' ourselves mehn!!! wanna try? lol

Beyond said...

I think i now smile more than i use to do back in naija..... guess, it's cos i have grown to know and love my self better

About being razz..... i think i have really lost it..... my friends say i now act much prep and "buttyish" than i use to be when i first land yankee.

I use to be 125lbs when i came...., gained alot of weight living the yankee life n went up to 145lb......., but, i have returned to 130lb n still working on dropping the remaining 5lb before next year....

Awz u been?

ChiefO said...

Bumight. i thot i was the only one the people of the world stole his smile, now i know better.

i'll get my pure smile back though. cos they sure were not able to steal my bubbly soul/spirit, which to me is the foundation of my unlimited smile. i could drink a glass of water and be happy and hyper like i've been drinking icedtea driven thru long island.

tips glass to bringing my smile back....

NaijaScorpio said...

I totally feel u on becoming razz since i got here. Pple don't believe when i say this place makes u razz. Tell me about going to a meeting just becos of food. I would never eat at such gathering in naija.

As for the orobo card, i have been there. I weigh 148lbs right now, when just a few years ago i weighed 115lbs. Imagine! I remember when i reached 138lbs i freaked out and bought hydroxycut. That diet pill shit lasted for 2 days. Just imagine, insomnia, accelerated heart beat. you sitting down but it feels like u r running. Abeg oh! I sofry collect the orobo card.

Anonymous said...

I used to have a brain. I used to be happy. I was never a lepa, I swear I was born orobo and I still am and I am loving it. I have always been razz on the inside even when I was growing up. I dated razz boys and I was fascinated with their razzness. I mean i rock to salawa Abeni (LOVE HER!) iyalode awon girls! My parents were really intellectual and everyone in their circles were too so of course I had to be razz men. I am still razz and I dont give a damn! Razzness has always been cool and I am holding on to my razz self. I pride myself on being able to rock to salawa and pasuma while I can have a reasonably intelligent conversation on plato's allegory of the cave. I can love lil wayne's lollipop and totally rock to Damien Rice. It's part of being a contrast and well rounded.

2Ruby2Red said...

I laughed about 3. i used to be lepa, cause that's my story too. I used to be lepa and some people still say i should gain weight..whatever! I used to be a commitment phobe- this is my fourth time starting a blog, and i plan on sticking with it!
Love your blog, please check mine out :)

Rebirth said...

im so late.......... :(
ur a size 3?????????? and u say ur fat??????????/ if i beat u there.....

i used to be a yes-person. anything anyone wanted i gave and even if it wasnt convenient, i still went out of my way, now im a no-person and i think its getting really bad but hey, i got tired of being used..........

Anonymous said...

how much do u weigh and you're saying you're fat... u no even serious. I'll say was so concerned about what every one tot of me. Basically aiming to please people... not that shit doesn't work for me at all, and that's a good thing

olusimeon said...

i used to reli care about people..a lil like funms..but mhen,,i got into a situation when i needed them...and thats when my eyes opened...i decided to drop the "too" in front of my "nice"..it will take a huge event to make me razz..even tho i'm not overly buttered...
my smile is still there o..and i dont wanna lost it o .lol.now that u have said it..i'll take note when i relocate...peace..

Rayo said...

temite or is it termite, lol, u used to hav a brain ke? bumight baby hope u get u smile back.
chiefo, thank u 4 wat u said abt d lepa tag, y rnt guys eva cald lepa?
i used to have a lot of peace, lyk u said d ppl of d world stole it joh.

Rayo said...

temite or is it termite, lol, u used to hav a brain ke? bumight baby hope u get u smile back.
chiefo, thank u 4 wat u said abt d lepa tag, y rnt guys eva cald lepa?
i used to have a lot of peace, lyk u said d ppl of d world stole it joh.

Rayo said...

temite or is it termite, lol, u used to hav a brain ke? bumight baby hope u get u smile back.
chiefo, thank u 4 wat u said abt d lepa tag, y rnt guys eva cald lepa?
i used to have a lot of peace, lyk u said d ppl of d world stole it joh.

webround said...

@no 2: it's part of missing Naija. Suddenly u're longing for those familiar things even if bck home u'd considered them razz...

poeticallytinted said...

What's wrong with... what's wrong with... what's wrong with... BUAHAHAHAHA!! (wiping tears off the corners of my eyes) I was going to say What's wrong with Daddy showkey but...

Keep smiling jare, nuting do you! lol. Size 3 jeans!? They legally sell those?! :)

webround said...

@ being a lepa: a bartender has been told to lose weight or else....
her question - is she overweight? see & decide for yourself

ShonaVixen said...

i used to be patient but now I'm always on a rush claiming London did that to...I feel like lifting the slow people walking in front of me and putting them on the side so i just rush past...before i used to be so mellow and patient...
I never used to kiss my teeth so much...now even the CEO can kiss her teeth..lol..

bumight said...

@Toluwa: i guess its not safe to go around smiling at everybody in yankee :)
that's the paradox, i guess its associated with missing naija, and then when u're in naija, u no longer miss it and u become the "yankee babe" all over again!
ok, if you're 145Ibs and a size 8, that can only mean one thing : shawty!
lol, I dont even think i have the discipline to starve myself! there goes any chance of becoming anorexic! LOL!

@miss love: lol, how exactly are we going to go about accomplishing that?

@beyond: ok, you need to let us in on your secret abeg!i was 120Ibs when i came here :(

@chiefo: once you got ur bubbly spirit, you're good to go jare!

@sting: Lol @ ur hydroxycut runs, I'm glad it only lasted for 2 days, those things are not meant for everyone my dear, especially if you love your life!

@temite: salawa abeni? you're on a different level. i guess we can claim that being razz makes you well rounded then! :)

@2ruby2red: ok, I'm definitely checking out your blog, hope you stay this time though.

@Funms: i didnt say i was fat, i said I'm accepting the orobo card :)
you're quite the opposite of me. i used to be a no person, now I'm a yes-person!

@talesandtallies: its a good thing, i try to tell all my high school aburos tht u dont need to please anybody especially in high school. many times though, i have to remind myself about that :(

@simeone: yes o, gaurd your smile with everything you've got! I've learnt never to rely on people, whenever I'm being nice, i do it for my own happiness, people disappoint ever so often

@rayo: lol @ temite too! get ur peace back girl, shame the people of the world, lol. bf is a lepa too, and he knows it :)

@webround: yeah, i guess it has a lot to do with missing naija. i watched the video, nobody ever knows when they gain or lose 5 Ibs, i think she's fine as she is. the restaurant is just tripping!

@shonavixen: lol @ the image of you lifting slow people and dropping them aside!

Zayzee said...

hmmmmmmmmmm?

get them all back o. the smile, cool and come back to the lepa club. we need you.

Anonymous said...

Guess for the smile - Just do it... Get it back.. The razzness its probably a knee jerk reaction to missing 9ja... The lepa -- now thats more difficult.. Guess I've also struggled with some kgs since I discovered cokes, pringles and deep-friend chicken... Just do it.. apologies to NIKE..

ChiefO said...

yes o Bumight, they sure got norin on me. i'll show them wat warm water does to garri.

Anya Posh said...

u're too funny! the smile thing & the lepa thing./. hunny, i'm almost hitting 140lbs, let's not get there o abeg. And about the razzness, its the same for me too..sheesh, it's like we're trying too hard to hold on to what's left of our nigerian-ness. my dear, we need to leave all those things & be concerned about being ourselves in whatever context we find ourselves; whether it is naija or america or canada!

mizchif said...

you know the thing about my smile is that i can literally light up a room, but then i mostly squeeze myface when i'm by myself in public, just to prevent any unnessesary ppl from bugging my life!

Den come her, lemme slap u...how can u talk abt size 3 jeans and orobo in the same sentence.....mschewwwwwwwwwwww. Nansense, some of us here are looking for how to button up our size 6 jeans!

But on the razzness, i feel u! Just the other day, i found myself singing "Daina" along to the video on youtube. My sis says i'm definitely razzer dan i was b4 i left naija!

Smaragd said...

Bumight the frowning fat razzite!

lol

pls get ur smile back darling, i wish i could smile all the time, infact, i'm going to try now.

razz is the new cool, as original mgbeke...lol

BUMIGHT! 62kg is a LOT of weight! i read somewhere that u are 5"5 or 6 right? which is my height, i weigh 55kg and i feel fat. when i weighed 58, i almost fainted, and guess what? my clothes never told!

pls hit that gym ASAP or just pick up jogging and ignore your friends, mine say thesame all the time as well.

Anonymous said...

i used to dance with abandon now i think my ass is too flat for it to look good.
(getting back to the uber-confident-dancer-me these days tho.)
i didnt care what people thought...
i used to be really happy
i used to have dreams... ...

ah well. oh and now i'm weight obsessed even though i'm not fat... i'm sure thats kinda how it is with you!

all you 'expats'. you all struggle to hold on to razzness as if thats the sign of nigerianness. shio! lol.
even tho, razzness is coming back in these days... :)

Anya Posh said...

i second you Smaragd! Please tell us well. Infact i'm going jogging this evening with my housemate. We need to sculpt these buns, shape these biceps, tighten that stomach, lose the fat!!!

Buttercup said...

Keep smilin babe!

I was never a lepa, never fat either..just, uh, full-figured..but im the biggest of my siblings n i..i get not so pleasant remarks like, 'r u the only one eatin ALL the food?'..n its not like im fat o, my siblings r just really lepa..remarks like that dont get to me anymore jere!

bumight said...

@Uzezi: I'm working on it!

@danny:yeah, that's the way to put it- Just do it!

@cheifo: and what would that be *feigning barbie look*

@anyaposh: in a way that's it, but in a way i can say its because I don't care about forming for anyone now. America is a leveler, no need for fake levels, u get?

@mizchif: lol, I have the "diana" song on my ipod, thats worse! and like lagbaja said "show me ur 32!", although squeezing face can be necessary to prevent unwanted attention.

@smaragd: haba! wetin i do you? do u have to put it like that, lol "frowning fat razzite ke?"
if you are 5'5", then you are short! lol, I'm 5'7" and i still think 140Ibs is a lot, especially since I lack the discipline to faithfully go to the gym anyways, I'm on the peppersoup diet, lol!

@geisha: i'd say get EVERYTHING on your list back, especially dancing as if no one else is looking!
razz is the new cool!

@Anyaposh: my excuse is that its too cold to go jogging! lol, i might actually just pick it up just so that i have time to listen to lectures on my ipod.

@buttercup: lol @ the remarks, kinda reminds me of my older sister, she's like the opposite of the rest of us, now she doesn't care about such remarks! I've seen your pic before and you are NOT fat jare!

Queen of My Castle said...

140?!?!?! OMG, I haven't been that since I was a freshman in HIGH SCHOOL!!!! LOL

I'm sure you look amazing.

Naija Idol said...

diet???. lol. ive been trying to go on one for a while now but cant resist the temptation of good food.

I always smile(not when walking on the road tho). its a good thing cos most people wish they could be like me.

My sister schools in america nd she is razzer dan when she was in naija.

Fammy said...

The smile one i love... want to get my smile back, too many complaints

Omo calabar. said...

Razzz...lol. I totally understood ya, am also into naija music a lot these days, i guess am getting homesick. Lovely post by the way.

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com