Working in the hospital has taught me a few things about myself, medical students and life in general. I have gotten over the initial shock of walking into a patient's room and "acting" like I'm a real doctor. Sometimes, I can even answer some of the patients questions without consulting my Attending.
Through this all, I have realized that the patients are the celebs in this whole game. (life in itself is a game, innit?). However, just like typical Hollywood/nollywood life, there are grades of celebs. doubt it? just ask Paris Hilton!
The D list Celeb
These are the patients that typically come in to the clinic. You would most likely find them in your regular family practice clinic or the pediatric outpatient clinic. They are usually there for the well child visit, medication refill, annual physical, and those type of things.
9 out of 10 times, nothing is wrong with them, and the history and physical exam shows nothing.
That's a good thing, right?
wrong!
wrong, because to the averag medical student, these patients are boring. I mean, if I wanted to listen to a normal heart or lung I could listen to mine or my roommates' right?
ok, I'm kidding. You also learn a lot from these people, because by the time you've listened to your 50th normal heart or lung, when you finally hear that one abnormal one, you instantly recognize it!. So i guess D list celebs are good for something afterall!
C list celebs
More interesting than D list celebs are the C list celebs. You also mostly find them in outpatient clinics or your regular primary care setting. They are the ones that come in with a complaint. there's actually something wrong with them yay! (i know, i know, this job messes u up)
However, (there has to be a catch, right?) their chief complaint is usually something along the lines of fever, cough, runny nose, diarrhea - pretty much mostly stuff that's common.
Fortunately, C list cases are the type that frequently show up on your exam, and I have mine in a little less than 2 weeks. oh well...B list
These are the people that come in with a textbook case of a particular illness. Like a guy who comes in with some major congestive heart failure. You hear the crackles in the lungs, you actually feel an enlarged liver, maybe he even has some ascites, and at the point where you're almost about to pass out from orgasmic joy, you listen to his heart and you do hear a murmur. sweet!
The icing on the cake is if your patient is actually a good historian. He tells you step by step everything that happened, and in your head you can mentally check off everything you hear.
I had my very first B list celeb a few weeks ago: A little boy that was admitted for elevated blood lead levels. sweet thing was he actually lived in a house that was constructed in the 1940s and the house was currently under renovation.
A list
yeah, saved the best for last.
The ultimate A list patient is the one that has this very rare disorder that you've only read about in textbooks, but nobody sees. The type that the incidence is probably 1 in 10,000. Even seasoned physicians get excited when they see an A list patient - the type of patient that you only see one or two cases (maybe four) in your entire 20 years career.
I haven't come across my A list celebrity patient yet, but when I do, I"ll be sure to let you guys know!

40 comments:
1st ke?
na lie...where is everybody...me 'ol me first at bumight...gotta celbrate this...and i've even read the post....good luck with your exams...
celeb spotting in healthcare ...LMAO...i hope never to be a A or a B list celeb i'd rather be boring anyday...
good luck finding your A lister babes...
2nd?? wow first time
Good luck with your exams!!
I'm a D list celeb yaay lol
Dr...
Dang Boo i sooo wanted to be first.
May u get an A list celeb ever once in a while ( not me sha). ;)
Good luk with the exams
LOL..An a list celeb..Yep, every doctor wishes for that, but when it does happen you would be so tensed up, and the nurses in the ER would be giggling that you can't solve such a simple case..:-)
LOOOL! u kno, in some wierd twisted way, this actually made sense! but I'd rather b a D-lister any day anytime :) Gud luck in ur exam hun!
Cruel...cruel...cruel... LOL... I don't know why the post cracked me up especially with you writing like you were listing celeb types for a Hollywood mag. Hmmm... Can't fit myself into any of the lists sha since I am a little bit of this and that... Anyway, wish you the best in your exams!
Typical case of one man's meat, another man's poison. No?
Why does your post sound scary to me?
Mehn! The D-list guys would sure be happy if they ever read this.
I hail Doctors! No be small ting!
gosh u remind me sooooooooo much of my elder sister, its unbelievable!
i guess its cuz she just graduated as a med doctor and all that, so i get to hear such from her.lol
A n B list celebs ke?
Haaa
Someone gets excited when i'm sick!
I give una hand oh!
How are your celeb patients doing?
but na wa for una doctors o.......I had to notice your phrase that "Even seasoned physicians get excited when they see an A list patient"
how person go happy when another person sick? ( but I guess it goes with the profession)
the way the coffin seller is excited the day he is asked to supply lots of coffin.
how are you doing?
Ingenious....
i hope i keep being a D list.
I remain on the C list and hopefully move to D list.
All the best in your exams
I like the classification. I'm guessing all human beings should fall into at least one category.
Those that hardly go to the hospital are in the D list abi? Can't remember the last time I went...lol.
Please tell them oh! These people don't know that sometimes we be sitting in a borin A&E clinic secretly wishing for a MVA! I know, i'm evil, but hey someone needs a break from all dem diarrhea cases!!!
Now i see how folks on Greys feel. I'm glad u're enjoying ur job/career. Wish i cld say the same.
I'm enjoying the list though.. i'm not even in the last cuz I've never been at a hospital as a patient... no I'm not abnormal, my mother is a doctor...lol
x!
Now you make me want to be a doctor...for the B and A list celebs :-)
Nice post and very true...
Good that I aint in any of the list. To a medical intern, you want cases, you are excited to a patient, they dont want anything to be wrong but to be in good health. We all want to be in good health se? But that will not make our interns learn a lot se? Life is not fear. lol
This would have been morbid had it not been so funny. Doctors dey try o.
I wonder how a Mechanic's 'celebrity list' would look like - Total Write-offs would be their A-listers I believe.
How about Coffin makers? or Morgue workers?
Hmmm ...
Good luck in your exams
that was pretty hilarious though seriously, i'd rather just have malaria than all the fancy, big name rare syndromes that get y'all excited..
Damn, you docs are a bunch of crazies..lol! All the best in your exams, hon..
as a medic, i can totally relate to this list, its quite funny but it definitely gets the point across, there's nothing more demotivating than a clinic full of Ds & Cs.
So far, i've only come across 2 As - a phaeochromocytoma & a hocm.
oh my, this is sooo mean =)
you sound like dr. greg house.......now i hope u dont turn into him:)
Hahaha... so everything they say on House and Grey's Anatomy is actually true! You all live for the A-list celebs!!!! Smh..
I’m tempted to agree with you that patients are indeed celebs but that A list celeb thing sounds funny, you know. Me woulda thought you’d prefer not to deal with the rare cases. Been watching House MD lately and I’ve seen some crazy cases that just fit perfectly with your A-list.
This is really a case of what the job does to you.
I cannot even stand hospitals
@shubbydoo: u're first, but u took my boo's spot. LOL
lets just say this is one of the instances nobody wants to be a celeb :)
@chi-chi: thanks babe. D list always works fine.
@cerberus: its ok boo, u're first in my tweart! :D
@Rose: dont even get me started with nurses!
@B: thanks babes!
@Naughty Eyes: first time uve been on my blog in ages! thanks fo the good wishes though...and "PS: i dont think this was cruel :)
@SHE: exactly! c'est la vie!
@Enkay: abi nau, everyone prays to be on d D list
@Gee: can u blame her? lol
@Chayoma: yeah, someone gets excited cos they can figure out whats wrong and treat u. does that sound any better? lol
@Olufunke: if u look at it this way, the A listers are the ones pple dont get to see, and they dont get diagnosed, or even die cos nobody figured it out. so in a way, we're all helping each other.
@Jidesalu: thanks boss!
@leggy: Amen!
@The Girl with the Red Hair: (babes, ur name long small o!) Amen to that! and thanks :)
Jaycee:
i think those who hardly go to the audience should have a different category to themselves ;)
Be careful what you ask for. I spent 8 hours one time in the OR wearing lead plus standing for a tib/fib surgery. The surgeon went in from the medial and lateral side and we spent the whole day! I was dead by the time i got home. Was it a cool surgery to see yes but did my body pay for it afterwards? Yes it did.
you are enjoying yourself jare!
Are you calling me a D list celeb???
I thank God though.
I'm back o. I know you've fashied me. Oya unfashie me now. Pweety pwease??
I've had my B list moments. I don't bother with C list moments. My dad's a pharmacist, mum's a nurse, no worries.
God forbid anyone of us ever be an A list celeb.
Yours in apology!
wow. real life drama is what u r definitey seeing everyday. im glad u r enjoying ur studies
Miss Doctor. ... love the look and feel of your blog. Haven't been over here in a loonnnngggg time. Really nice post though. Feels like Grey's Anatomy diary. Keep it up
you make them patients sound sexy...instead of the cranky smelly people I meet at my hospital!
you are not alright! you make the patients sound like movie stars actually! .... cool stuff... your life rocks!
Nice list. . lol Just felt like i was watching grey anatomy series over again.
Post a Comment