twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2009

I'm suing my mother

There are very few childhood dreams I remember with clarity , especially the ones that recurred more than once.

I am outside the house playing with my neighbors. We started playing police and Thief and we’re running round a compound that looks like ours. All of a sdden, the scene changes and we’re in a field. There’s a little gutter by the side, and I turn to damola my neighbour who’s with me “lemme quickly pee here b”

So I bend down, hike my little gown and pee in the gutter. . Suddenly I feel wetness around my leg and my eyes open…

Yes, you guessed it! I’m still on my bed!!! Immediately I start crying because I know what that means for me- Lots of ridicule from my mom!. I was one of those children who didn’t stop bedwetting till almost 8 years old. I can’t begin to recount the hell I went through at home because of this. I remember my mom telling me that she was going to tie an empty can of milk to my leg and call all my friends and tell them to sing for me if I ever wet the bed again.

Today, I had to listen to a presentation on enuresis given by one of the residents that was in the afternoon clinic today. Here were a few highpoints:

  • Some of the reasons for Enuresis (bedwetting) include: a small bladder, frequent Urinary tract infections, brain maturation delay, sleep disorders etc.
  • It is actually a diagnosis in the DSM IV
  • It tends to run in families. Most children have a parent who was a bedwetter. If both parents were, there’s a >80% chance that the child would also be a bedwetter.
  • Drugs can be prescribed for the treatment
  • There are also behavioural classical conditioning techniques that can be used to help stop it

Well, my mom (like many parents) took the behavioral route in trying to stop it. Only that instead of using an alarm to help me train me to recognize my full bladder, she threatened to beat me many times (cant remember if she actually did). I was made to feel like there was something wrong with me. So did my mum’s tauntings, threats, and everything produce any significant results?

This time around, I’m with my sisters in the house, sometimes in the room when I feel the fullness in my bladder. I’m happy that I was able to sense it, and then make my way to the bathroom. I sit on the toilet…when I remember to actually double check whether it’s a dream or not. I open my eyes, check my surroundings and I’m sure I’m on the toilet seat. I let out a huge sigh of relief for averting a potential crisis. I let out the pee and only that instead of going into the toilet, I feel the wetness around my legs…

Oh shit!

I had many of such days. On days like that, I would cry. My mom caught me on one of those occasions crying and I told her what happened. I did feel my bladder fullness. I tried to wake myself up, I went to the bathroom ONLY THAT IT ALL HAPPENED IN MY DREAM!

A lot of children start bedwetting whenever something traumatic happens in the family like a divorce, birth of a new child, bullying in school etc. I was a middle child and that was traumatic enough!

Anyways, I love my mom or else I’d sue her for emotional distress, psychologic scarring and…blogville lawyers, what else can I sue for?

2. Blogville mummies, (solomonsydelle, fluffycutething, etc) how did you handle bedwetting in your kids

3. Blogville residents, I’m sure I’m not the only one who was a bedwetter, do you care to share any such experience?

49 comments:

bob-ij said...

first!

bob-ij said...

eh heh...now I comment. Lol it's so true..the road to peeing is paved with nice dreams...lol Why? How? how did we always imagine that we were at a washroom. lol Too funny! And I was soo first and maybe second!!
x!

ktravula said...

Nice one!

Sorry, I don't remember my bedwetting experiences from childhood, except... well the taking out matresses to dry.
And yes, some of those naughy dreams.

But you do know that young boys also have some other kind of wet dreams? It might be fun to share those kin experiences.

Nice Anon said...

LOL no words!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

that happened to me many times...as in dreaming that i was using the bathroom and in reality i was doing it on my bed...
lol...suing your mom sa...naija parents did the only thing they could...threaten to beat you or beat you when the problem was medical or psychological...oh well!

badderchic said...

if you are sueing your mother for making fun of you wetin make I do?? cuz my mom beat the shit comot for my body, called all the neighbors to show/tell them and would use it to abuse me.

oo! how traumatic. lol

Anonymous said...

lol...i had the dream thing..i wont lie..lol

Giagerry said...

Lol i remember bedwetting and blaming my lil brother hu is only a year younger than me when we slept on the same bed.
looooool....wake up in the night to clean up and all that!
lol...i guess we all had that time in our lives when we bedwet!

B hey...The E-sermon is finally ready and has been uploaded on my blog, go nd be blessed!!

doll (retired blogger) said...

i used to see myself in the toilet in my dreams, only to wake u immediately after to find out i was on my bed.

I stopped Bw at 8 too...tho i have bedwetted once as an adult...

mizchif said...

Gosh! Bedwetting till 8 and now u r forming babe up and down! hehehehehe.
Well i was one of those examplarry babies who was fully potty trained by age 2, so i would have no idea of that which you speak. lol.

My sister is a different matter, and unfortunately she was compared to me all the time, and she also told that story of dreaming she was in the toilet. PLEASE!
It was just annoying for me cuz we had to share a bed.

Fluffycutething said...

My son is only 10 months and so of course "bed wets" into his diaper daily LOL

kai that hereditary part of this your meme is now scaring me oh.... because yours truly was quite a pisser LWKMD

jhazmyn said...

Lucky me, i stopped quite early...remember having that blissful dream once though, i think i was about 6 or 7 then...its amazing how the release felt much better in the dream than in reality..lol.

But i dont think anyone can beat dreaming of doing the big one and actually doing it on the bed...i woke up and was wondering what that smell was, till i felt the warmth of the watery doo i had just passed...now beat that...LOL did u just say ewwww?)

jhazmyn said...

Lucky me, i stopped quite early...remember having that blissful dream once though, i think i was about 6 or 7 then...its amazing how the release felt much better in the dream than in reality..lol.

But i dont think anyone can beat dreaming of doing the big one and actually doing it on the bed...i woke up and was wondering what that smell was, till i felt the warmth of the watery doo i had just passed...now beat that...LOL did u just say ewwww?)

Olufunke said...

LOL@ Jhazmyn............you dream t of doing the big one? OMG!

I guess I was lucky I stopped bet wetting earlier, so no personal experience to share.

Nna , please no sue your mum o, cos if you do, mine would go to jail ( straight without trial) cos she beat the living day lights out of me!

LusciousRon said...

I bed weeted aso much it was crazy! I had so many traumatic experiences with that. I remeber the bullying in boarding house. I would bedwet after such. Thank God they are only memories now!

~Sirius~ said...

lol
bedwetting.
I was lucky on this one.
Stopped at the right time.

Instead my siblings would wee, and push you to that part of the bed- make you look like the guilty one. lol

BSNC said...

hahaha well its not really your fault.

CaramelD said...

Na, bed wetting passed me by, I was too busy sucking my thumb. When I was a teenager I potty trained three of my little cousins and that was traumatic enough!! Sometimes they would still bed wet even though I had woken them up and taken them to the bathroom. It's a tough road shah. Different kids have different times.

Blessing said...

aww...the truth has set u free! I wasn't a bedwetter but I've known a few a it def was deeper then being "too lazy" to go to the bathroom. Pele o

tope said...

I was never a bed wetter.
In boarding school, my bunk mate peed on the bed (she was on the upper bunk, it dripped and soaked on me.(lower bunk) I saved her from the embarassment by not telling others,After that incident, we did swicth places. I started sleeping on the upper bunk.


I was in Jss2 and i recall that several students including seniors were bedwetters.

bumight said...

@bob-ij
Long time no see! Lol @ "d road to peeing is paved with nice dreams"
I wish someone told my mom that!

@ktravula
I wouldn't know about such dreams now, would I?

@nice anon
"No words"
Two words that seem to say a lot! Lol

@pink satin
I can't even begin to recount the things I've been yelled out for only to find out that I had no control over

@badderchic
Lol! She actually called d neighbours for u? Lmao
Pele, see me thinking my situation was bad.

@leggy
Another one for the team!

@Gee
Bad child! Blaming d poor boy! I remember waking up to change d sheets a couple of times
Actually I discovered that if I took an old towel, put it on d bed and then slept on it, d bed would be dry in d morning!

@doll
Girl, are u sure ure not my twin? Lol

@mizchif
Bloody show off!

@lusciousron
I can imagine that bullying would make someone bewet, pele!
@sirius
Lol, they say when d guilty are being punished, sometimes d innocent partake, lol!


@fluffycutething
U berra start preparing urself cos boys typically stop bedwetting later than girls do!

@jhazmyn
O...k! U take the crown! No words!! Absolutely no words!
Lwkm!

@olufunke
We ahould start a "sue my mom" group, lol

@bsnc
If only my mom knew that!

@carameld
Don't even get me started on d sucking thumb thingy!
I had an aunt who used to threaten to cut off my thumb!

@

Anonymous said...

No I do not care to share such an experience lol....

I wasn't as maltreated but it was very embarrassing and yes, traumatic for moi!

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

lol!!! Don't let your mom read this!

TE, hardly wet her bed. She is too much of a diva. TK simply would pee in his closet. Nuff said.

As for Bomboy, well... him peeing in his bed would be a relief from the doodoo designs he 'blessed us with! loL!

Ms. 'dufa said...

lol...Read "ugly" by Constance Briscoe, its a true touching story about bedwetting. Mehn! I had it hard too!

miss.fab said...

Hahaha I don't think there was any child who didn't have the dream thing! Lol... Naija parents really should be sued sha. Is beating/threatening/abusing your child really the best way out of all situations??? Smh.

chayomao said...

i no fit shout!

Nefertiti said...

I had similar experiences, but it was the nanny that tormented me. I would usually be woken up with a hot woze. It was a bunk bed and she slept on the lower ramp LMAO... na me send am message? Anyhus, I didn't have any traumatic experiences, I just had an overactive imagination and was terribly afraid of the dark. Like I would open my eyes, and my mind would start fucking with me. (still a little scared of the dark, but emi gbogbo bigz ghelz..lol) so instead of going to the bathroom, I would be conscious of peeing on the bed. The nanny sleeps like a log of wood :D so calling her name didn't help. But the hot weewee sure caught her attention lol

Luckily tho, I stopped waaaaaaaayyyyyy before going to boarding school.

How u dey, bumight?

Thirty + said...

Thanks

This is the evidence I need, gonna sue my momma as well, mine was even more traumatic oh that mother of mine beat the shege into my head.

TayneMent said...

lol i dont remember any bedwetting stories but i didnt stop bedwetting till later than usual. It was sporadic sha and usually when I was upset about something. My mom just made me start sleeping on a mat, lol.

LG said...

ato'nle :-)
*how u

Geebee said...

Another trip down memory lane. I was a bedwetter too, till about six or so but funny enough I bedwetted once or twice as a teenager (not wet dreams o. bedwetting. mo tole). Crazy! But then, I had a friend in secondary school (FGC Idoani – boarding house) who bedwetted till we finished secondary school. Back then, it was a taboo to allow B (random name) sleep on your mattress. I guess that was a perfect scenario for medical analysis . . . in all, I think bedwetting as kids is just part of the growing up process.

The Girl with the Red Hair said...

LWKM @suing your mom for emotional distress, psychologic scarring.

No be the woman fault, it was lack of knowledge!!!

Now that i know, i shall stop bullying my nephew.

SHE said...

I knew girls who wet the bed even in Secondary school. Some thought it was "spiritual". LOL...

Anonymous said...

I used to bed wet too LOL ,my mum never knew but my aunt compared me to her own kids when I bed wet once, I was so vexxed

anonymous gal(retired blogger) said...

Dont know wat i wil ever do if u retire. i watched on CSI channel a man became a serial killer coz his dad put out his bedsheets so that the neighbourhood kids would know he bet wets. Thank God 4 u o

temmy tayo said...

it was fun hidding the sheets in the morning. I can remember how mad my mum used to be when she sees the wet sheets.

The dream sef.....

Unknown said...

i thot i was the only one

i would wake up frantic after bed wetting and be drying up the bed praying no knew.

anyway i finally told my sibs

aloted said...

ah did u say it is hereditary...serious matter! so i need training on how to stop my kids from bedwetting ni yen. LOL...

i also had those type of dreams..i can even remember flushing the toilet as well..only in my dreams :(

Jide Salu said...

Well done on this post. This should reassure many who suffer from this unfortunate mishap.

taKia and God bless

Toluwa said...

i went to boarding school, and there were a few of us, so i wasnt the only one traumatized and it felt like we had a crew...

lmao!

at home, my mom thot i was a witch, and i cldnt wake up cos i was going to meetings...

wnt for do many deliverancess...lol. just to find out that it was bcos she left my dad!

Shubby Doo said...

lmao...eya u used to wet the bed...at least the ordeal is now over...so drop the lawsuit ;)

Admin said...

Just stopping by,but dont sue your mother oo

Unknown said...

I can relate to this.. Was a master bedwetter then..lol..

And I quite agree with Just Toluwa. I went to a boarding skool too and almost everybody used to bedwet. Cos they are always too afraid to stand up to pee.(Cos of some Witches among us) In fact most of us know when we bed wet.
It was quite a traumatizing phase then. You ought to see the way we spread our mattresses outside in the morning, everybody including the seniors sef who will bedwet on their junior ones in the lower bunk.

Tigeress said...

lwkmd. that was funny!!!

Unknown said...

ur blog is SO interesting, fun n cute!
J'adore!!

http://say-bleurgh.blogspot.com/

Show some love by following or bleurghing back Xisses

Buttercup said...

Hahaha Bumight! Sued her yet?

tobenna said...

I swear Bumight!
You are a characteristic!
Ah ah.
You dreamt you were in the toilet about to pee. You woke up in the dream and confirmed you were awake and not sleeping. Then you proceeded to weewee. Only to realise you were dreaming.

Now that you are grown, I wonder what you dream about.

Afrobabe said...

OMG you just described my dreams and bed wetting days...

hmmmmmm wonder if I inherited it from any of my folks...and if yes..which?? I'm sure they'll both deny!!!

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com