twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Monday, August 10, 2009

Third year: the good, the bad, and the ugly

Yes! I passed my board exams and I've started clinicals. This is the year where I decide what I want to do with my life (very scary sturves). Right now, I pretty much am as undecided as i can be. We rotate among Pediatrics, Surgery, Medicine, Ob/gyn, Family medicine, Psychiatry, and a couple that ive forgotten jare.

So this blog will feature either a Rate this section for each clerkship I do- pretty much a summary of the rotation, interesting stuff ive seen etc. That way I guess it'll help me narrow it down. Anyways back to:

The good
1. I'm 1 year 10 months away from that M.D. Actually from now on, you can call me Bumight M. cos I'm already halfway there, lol!

* No more lectures! Third year is strictly clinicals. Pretty much like you're working at the hospital, but instead of getting paid, you pay the school tuition!

* Seeing Patients. Very different from the whole first and second year patient contact. Its like the training wheels are off.
on my first day, my attending pretty much threw me in a room with the patient and told me to go for it! you learn as you move on. Now im getting used to seeing patients by myself without little or no supervision.

* Shopping! yes since you have to dress proffesionally everyday, it means my everyday wear of jeans doesnt work. I've had to go get some work savvy clothes and sensible cute shoes. The people on twitter will bear me witness to what happened when i chose cute over sensible!

* An excuse to get a new phone. Actually, i need a new phone jare, Tmobile is messing up with my love social life with their no-service bull! And since I need a phone that i can put med applications, organize my life, etc...perfect timing! why am i even trying to justify myself? :)

The bad
* They tricked us! For each clerkship rotation, there's one day of lectures per week. I know its only one day, but I dont think i went to any lectures since the second week of second year. For the past two weeks I've been struggling to stay awake in class.

* Sleeping in is not an option: you have to wake up everyday and go in to work whether u feel like it or not. Gone are my days of waking up whenever I open my eyes, now my alarm clock is working overtime!

* Because you are graded subjectively, you have to always be on your gaurd when interacting with attending physicians, cos you dont know what you might do and someone puts it on your evaluation and then u're screwed!


The ugly
* Pimping: being pimped is not fun my people. Pimping is when your attending physician randomly fires you with questions. So you have to be prepared at all times which means reading extensively on certain subjects you might get pimped on. (naija people call it viva)

*Scutwork : Scutting is when people on the higher rungs of the ladder (interns, residents, attendings) send you on random errands that have nothing to do with medicine, like sending you to go get coffee, faxing stuff, getting xrays, etc. You dont have to do scutwork, but sometimes it cannot be avoided.



That's it so far!

45 comments:

webround said...

congrats!
with the proposed health care reform that is being planned, i read that family practitioners will now become key. will that affect people's specialization choices?

webround said...

cute shoes..? on grey's anatomy, they are usually in sneakers...

bumight said...

i havent really read up on d health care reform (note to self: better read as it might be affecting my pay in the nearest future!) actually, even though family practitioners are key, i dont think it'll affect people's choices.
with the loans u accumulate during med school, most people tend towards specializing cos they are better paid, and in return they can pay off their loans quicker.

as per d grey's anatomy sturvs, i think i need to do a post on "debunking the grey's anatomy"! lol
but if you're in scrubs, u'll usually wear sneakers, but not everyone wears scrubs everyday.

webround said...

i maybe wrong but my understanding was that part of the reason specialists initially kicked (and some are still doing so) against the reform is becos their pay will drop if the family practitioner now becomes the 'key' doctor. my understanding is that the family practitioner will now consult and diagnose most of your problems and will only send you to a specialist after he has determined you need to see the guy versus now where you normally go to a specialist first who will charge you for the visit only to find out that he's not able to solve your problem. since the specialists are paid per visit and the number of visits drops, then they will start earning less money.

there is also the argument that there aren't enough family practitioners now and so if this reform gets passed, they will command a high figure initially (supply being much lower than demand).

my cousins who are doctors hating watching grey's anatomy, house MD or any other medical drama. once the show starts, they start debunking all the stuff being shown. i guess you doctors can't stand the embellishments...?

mizchif said...

See, as i was reading my alarm went off.
1st day of psychi and sleeping in is sooo not an option. So many days i just want to hut the snooze button ....sigh....

I actually like the more serious look of skirts and shirts and have been trying not to overshop.

Tell me abt the scut work, sometimes i spend all morning fetching gown and gloves for evrybody and looking for drug charts. mscccccccchhhhew!

Buttercup said...

Aww CONGRATULATIONS!! Good luck deciding what you want to do. Lol @ tryna justify yourself for getting a new phone

LusciousRon said...

Bumight M. I am so proud of you! Congrats! I would say all those things combined together, if you can handle it. Is that allowed?

Enjoy o! I wouldn't eevn mind being one of your patients right now!

Anoda Phase said...

Congrats Bumight M.

All the best with the rest...

Cheers

LG said...

congrats dear

doll (retired blogger) said...

congrats...am so proud of you
LMAO @ you pay tuition while working

~Sirius~ said...

Sounds ALL good to me!
Congratulationd Doc.
LOL

Sounds so much like a Grey's Anatomy kinda life.

And anything for shopping and a new gadget works just fine!

Writefreak said...

Oh well done you! Doctor Bumight, no be small thing!
I'm loving the new layout by the way!

Anonymous said...

oh Congratssss! I knew you would. And good luck with this new phase. Pediatrics sounds great BTW.

Anonymous said...

congratulations....
enjoy ur clinicals...

Anonymous said...

praying the lord sees you through the remaining 1 yr 10 months!!

jhazmyn said...

CONGRATS Bumight...hope you really enjoy every bit of the 10months ahead

N.I.M.M.O said...

Congrats Doctor Bumight!

In our eyes, you are already a Doctor jare.

The Mamalawo of Blogville - after the departure of Dr. Naapali.

Unknown said...

Lol Bunmi! Congrats are in order...I think though I dont envy you one bit! (evil laugh).

I'm sure you will make the right choice for you though. One thats suits you and makes you happy and fulfilled.

Fabulo-la said...

Awww Bumight CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I have a huge ass smile on my face...like as if i know u!
ha ha ha

Good luck deciding what to do o..
Im guessin u cant call in sick?
LMAO!

BSNC said...

Congrats o. all the best, show them what you got.

Good Naija Girl said...

Congratulations on passing boards! Your hard work has paid off.

I wish you only good things as you zip through these 10 months. I wonder what you will decide to specialize in!

chayomao said...

Congrats oh!
it is not easy.
Hard work always pays off at the end.
Get those sensible shoes oh! Important.

Nice Anon said...

Clinicals= all work and no pay.
Goodluck with it. Clinicals does suck at times but alright some other times.

Scarlet said...

Yay!! Well done!! Here to the next ten month going smooth and quickly, then u can be doing the same thing but getting paid.

*Scutwork* nice term!!! sadly it never ends; well until you are at the top of the ladder.
That said though students do help out a lot, i can'gt wait till i get some myself!
Re specialities i say just keep ur mind open. with time you'll find out what u like and what you don't

Shubby Doo said...

lol@scutwork - that's crazy!!!

hope u're doing good bumight M...looking forward to adding the D

:D

bumight said...

webround
the primary care doctors (family practictioners, pediatrician etc) are still the first line, and most insurance companies wont even pay for services if you dont have a referal from ur pcp.
the fact still remains that the pcp cannot take the job of a specialist, so they have to still refer their pts out when necessary.
plus traditionally there are not that many people that go into family medicine, and even if you count everyone (pcp and specialists) america'll still say there's a shortage of doctors.

mizchif
LOL! pele. ive not really had to scut for anyone, maybe thats cos peds dont have residents who can do that to you.
i'm not a skirts person, but ive been trying to diversify my closet of late!...so when u see stuff that u think can fit ur big sister (moi of course!) you know the address to ship it to

buttercup
yay! buttercup is back!!! thanks jare, ive missed u!

Luscious Ron
trust me, you dont want to be my patient right now! lol!
there's a reason why late july/august is one of the most dangerous times to go to a hospital
lemme give u a clue- newly minted 3rd years and interns!

Anoda phase
thanks a great deal!
stop by more often too :)

LG
thanks :)

doll
yes o! u pay for the work u're doing!

Sirius
arghhhhhhhh! there goes another Grey's anatomy reference! lol
the shopping has to be the icing on the cake though :)

Writefreak
thanks! im just adjusting to the new layout myself!

Temite
thanks babe!
yeah, it sounds great. the reality cannot be farther from that!

mystoriesmytestimonies
thanks dear, i plan to.

Pink-satin
Amen my sister!

jhazmyn
thanks! i hope i do too!

Nine said...

Congratulobia.
BTW,viva is the oral portion of your exams in naija.I don't believe the US has a true equivalent.

Lol@scutwork. It isn't going away until you become an attending:)

Oh,and TV wise,I prefer(red) Scrubs.Though I do know someone who swears by Nip/Tuck....

busybee said...

congratulations!!!

sounds very interesting! the part where they send u stuff that isnt medicine related is just life (interns and trainees in every field go through it). but how oyinbo go dey send person sef? hisss... goodluck with everything and don't over shop o! i support the new phone!

CaramelD said...

IT'S NOT EASY OH! The end is in sight, congratulations.

Tigeress said...

ooooooooh nice bumight, M. I'm excited for you.

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

you are going to be just fine, my sista.

Afrobabe said...

Yeahhhhhhh Bumight M…really cool stuff, must be the same thing Mizchif and Padosh are doing right now…all they talk about now are sick people…yuck yuck yuck!!!


Congrats darling...

Afrobabe said...

and lmao @ scutwork…kpele

Blogoratti said...

All the very best..you go girl!

io said...

pick Psychiatry u wonder why i say so? you av enough patients in blogville alone to keep u busy for a lifetime. do i need to mention names?

congratulations

Rita said...

big congratulations to you. It is not easy. Dont like the idea of pimping but I know you are more than equal to the task...

You are almost there Doc...

histreasure said...

big Congrats, girl..you are well on your way and the 10 months will be over before you know it then we will proudly add the D and do our own owambe over here in blogosphere

Joy Akut said...

Bumight M....dont fall in love with any of the attendings:)

i know interns have it bad, and in the heirachy u come after interns...all the best cousin.

Original Mgbeke said...

Congrats babe! So proud of yaaa. Pretty interesting to see the good, the bad and the ugly. Do keep us posted on which route you eventually decide to specialize in.

Ms. 'dufa said...

Congrats! I like it that the good outweighs both the bad and ugly. Wish you all the best.

Roc said...

One year and ten months..
Nearly there Dr. B..
Slowly but surely..

Myne said...

Congrats, e no easy to be Dokita. Reminds me of Grays Anotomy, one of my Fav TV Doc shows after ER. Don't worry about scutwork, one day you go be oga.

Check out my romance novel blog here.

http://www.mynewhitmanwrites.blogspot.com/

Geebee said...

Congrats o. That’s a big step, Bumight M. I’ll save the ‘D’ for another 22 months. Let’s do some champagne popping, aye?

anonymous gal(retired blogger) said...

hi Bumight M.

Omo calabar. said...

Congrats

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com