I come from a family of five: my parents, two sisters and myself. In many ways, three seemed the perfect number of children.
Just enough to fit into the backseat of a surburban sedan with the parents in front.
Just enough to fit into the bed in the "middle room"
Just enough
Just enough for about everything and anything. And everyone was happy- everyone but me.
Yes, my elder sister was happy. of course she was happy, she was the
first born. The womb opener. She was the one that had the lavish naming ceremonies, the ones with the thick photo albums. I mean, there's a picture of the first time she cried, her first steps, and I'm willing to bet the first time she shat! She had the lavish 1 year birthday party, so much clothes... so of course she was happy.
Then there's my younger sister. The last born. The mummy's pet. In m
y house, we refer to her as my mother's child. That one is joined at the hip to her mother. We are only three, but this was the Joseph of our family (yeah, if it weren't so obvious, my mom would have bought her a coat of many colors!). So of course she was happy as well.
Then there's poor old me. The middle child. I didnt want to be mummy's pet, and daddy didn't want a pet either. Even worse, the age difference between my younger sister and I is just 16 months. Meaning that before I got any meaningful attention, "Joseph" was born. Hence, I grew up with the classic Middle child syndrome.

To make matters worse, my two sisters were very close growing up, and probably are still close. Growing up, I felt out of the loop. I mean, they both liked mummy while I was on the daddy team. So from an early age, I took solace in my books,
They say middle children lack drive, arent over achievers, relationships ae not of high importance to them , often end up alone, err, those words dont describe me. The only aspect I can relate with is being starved for attention. I keep my friends close - like, i really love my friends. I'm a very cuddly girlfriend, and yes- i love it when I'm being showered with attention. Hey, I'm a middle child starved for love, remember?
I think my drive and passion for my academics while growing up was in a bid to get attention. Right now, everyone in my house is quick to throw their love at my feet, but the damage has already been done. I'm not complaining though.
Note, if you're the 3rd child out of 5, you're NOT a middle child. If you're 2 out of 3, and ur siblings are of the same opposite sex, this does not apply to you. The worst hit are the 3 boys or 3 girls scenario.
Why am i writing this? First, this is a call for all middle children out there to bond together, lets take on the world! lol. Seriously though, one of my doctors talked about this, and I was prompted to google it. Now I know I'm not alone. I'm not crazy! this is real!! my friends have laughed at me for ages while I explain it, but finally I've been vindicated!!!
One thing I've learnt about blogville is that you are not unique. If you say "everytime I wake up, I jump up 3 times and then have a glass of water, I bet there's another blogger out there who does the exact same thing! lol. So I'm sure there are others out there. On the real though, are you a middle child? please share your experiences, and yes feel free to hate on the first borns and spoilt ass last borns too!
PS: they say the best match for middle children are last born children...err...so...

33 comments:
Would never have guessed...you sound like a 1st born :-)
Where were you when your sisters were getting close??? lol
"They say middle children lack drive, arent over achievers, relationships ae not of high importance to them , often end up alone"...How I so disagree. They should come and see my younger sister (4 out of 7). She is just the opposite.
Dope post...I can soo relate to this, I'm the middle child of 3 boys... I was the one who got sent off to boarding school at minna (10hrs away) at 8yrs..but I'm not attention-craving tho, I think I got a bit used to the lack of attention in fact.. I'm not a genius at giving attention either.. Some would argue I'm not a middle child, my parents got divorced when I was in SS1 and ofcourse dad remarried, so now I've got 2 lil half-siblings but the middle-child damage had been done I think.. My big bro and younger bro speak a different language, they get along so well and I can't seem to really blend in.. I don't completely agree with the symptoms of the middle child syndrome tho, they are not manifest in me and a few I know.
Its seems you have narrowed down the scope of membership for this middle child club by excluding the "3 of 5" child and the girl between boys or vice versa.
I'm off to do a little research on this topic though, then I'll see whether i agree with you or not.
I do agree that whatever crazy thing you think you've been up to, there'll most likely be a blogger who's been doing same. Funny!
Ha ha ha ha...lol!!!
I think there are exceptions to the rule tho...I came closely after my brother(a few months apart)but then he was always the favourite.
Been a while o, how body?
am a middle child..worse off cuz am the only girl in between two boys...the first boy is mumc's favorite...the last is mumc's favorite...and i was stuck up on my own...growing up..i thought i was adopted cuz i was nobody's favorite...ok not to lie sha...i was popc's favorite...but that does not cunt...cuz as my dad's favorite, you were allowed to make no mistake, can only come first in class, keep no friends, etc...was certainly no fun..
but really i think iv gotten over it...i dnt care anymore
middle child syndrome is somethings erious and I worry about it with regard to TK. But, I make sure to shower him with serious love and now, I'm beginning to think the guy is spoilt sef, lol!
Great post, but as for your suggestion of having four kids, well, NEVER!!!!
=)
"The only aspect I can relate with is being starved for attention. I keep my friends close - like, i really love my friends. I'm a very cuddly girlfriend, and yes- i love it when I'm being showered with attention."
Preach that!
I remember feeling like my parents sided with my siblings ALL the time! I also feel like they believed I could take care of myself and be responsible for my siblings (including my older brother) from a very early age.
Now, I have a lot of middle child complexes and they don't like it. Well, they'll just have to deal!
I'm way up there, 2nd of 9kids and I don't think we even have a middle child. lol!
My parents did a lot to keep the balance somehow sha.
The middle child complex ain't a small thing at all!
Na can't relate, only child till I was 22.
I do know my friends who are middle children say the same kind of things, in one way or the other. They all say that they are different from their siblings.
Hnnnm middle child syndrome...best to have just one kid then :)
But what about single child syndrome?
LOL. I'm the 3rd of 5. All these years I have been calling myself a middle child and now I just saw that I'm not. I'm hurt.......
I can relate to been starved of attention but i am a first child
my sis who is the middle child got all the attention
First Born of four....
Yea, i knw what it feels like to have all that love and attention on u....still hold that power.. MUHAHA!
Haters they gonna hate...lol.
Ouch!
*okay that sounded really mean*
All number children have a diagnosis, first, last, middle, second, third, etc. LOL @ middle children unite.
I would have thought you were the eldest child from the overachiever, slightly type A vibe I get from you, bumight!
I don't know about a good match for middle children but I have a theory that the worst pair up would be a first born with a last born, especially if it's the woman who is the first born. She will forever have another child on her hands!
I'm the first of 4, and I wanted to have 4 kids too until the past couple of years when I decided that 3 is sufficient. Hmm, I may have to reconsider. Although if the middle child is the opposite sex of his or her siblings, then s/he won't feel like a middle child because they'll forever be known as "the only" boy or girl.
@Rita: i sound like a firstborn? for real? how. i dont know where I was o. they just seemed to bond real fast and i remember feeling like an outsider looking in.
4 of 7, doesnt really have MCD cos 3,4,5 are also "middle children" so they can bond, lol
@Akinbayo
I got sent off to boarding school too! we're soulmates! we really should go off to vegas, ,lol
I dont completely agree with all d symptoms too, or at least i dont have most of them.
@SHE:
cos if you are the only girl between boys, at least u get attention for that. and 3 out of 5? 2 and 4 are also middle children, so you're not really alone.
for real, i was reading someone's blog and she said whenever she imagines her children, she imagines them deformed (or sth like that) and a comment was like "yeah, me too!". lol
@Princesa:
yeah, there are exceptions to the rule...those are the lucky ones!
@Doll:
you know what? i wanted to be popc's favorite so much, and that was the way to get his attention. the bad part was getting great grades became boring, almost routine. like it was expected. ive also gotten over it too :)
@solomonsydelle:
you better go and born a fourth pikin! lol
TK's lucky then!
@e.smith:
and we have another one! lol
yeah, they always feel like we can take care of ourselves, and really i had to learn that. right now, im used to taking care of myself.
@Enkay:
yeah, 9 kids? everyone gets lost in the shuffle anyways :)
lucky you!
@CaramelD:
of course you cant relate! spoilt only child!
yeah, today is hate-on-first-born day!
@blogoratti:
im sure there's something like that - loneliness?
lol, im not sure though
@Loved one:
lol. well, your name is "loved one" you certainly dont qualify :)
@The girl with the red hair:
first child? well here's something to make u feel better - most american presidents were first born/first children :)
@chayoma:
watch out! there are lots of middle children in here, you're outnumbered!
You can hate me now......but i won't stop now.....hehehehehe
So being the first child that i am, i am in a very special, powerful and wonderful position. I was daddy's girl (till i fell from grace) but my sister took over with all her good grades an all. (i secretly hate her.lol)
Sometimes i want to trade in this my first born crown, it really is heavy. But i love my own family dynamics- 2girls first, then 2 boys. No middle child, no one really feels left out, they just recognise my importance and suck up to me. hehehehe
Bumight, I can sooooo identify with what you're saying. I think i've definitely got that 'middle child syndrome'. I'm the second of three boys, got an elder brother who's about 3 yrs older and a younger brother who's less than 2 years younger so you can see what i'm talking about. In fact, had I not read through, I'd have thought you were talking about me. Truth is, middle children definitely have their uniqueness and strengths and deep inside I think we're actually the ones with all the special gifts our siblings at the two ends don't have. Yes, let's bond together and take over this joint!
I can't relate, I'm the first and prized child of the family. LOL...but the middle one, oh boy..theres four of us and shes the third but still had middle child syndrome!
"Middle child" anonymous - that's us! I'm a middle child as well and I understand what you mean.. Worst still, first born is a boy (only) boy so he has double privilege.. last born is naturally mummy's baby. When I was younger I used to console myself that since my sister was mummy's baby, I was daddy's little favourite girl - imagine my disgruntled self when daddy bought younger sister a shirt that read "daddy's little girl"...reality sunk in, she was mummy AND daddy's girl!
Oh well, I have learnt to live with it and I noticed that as we grew older,the gap began to narrow...
PS - But I still think its a good idea to set up a charity for middle children, the world over lol
My little sister has that last born syndrome. Sometimes I wanna shake her!
i intend to have 6 kids so no syndrome for them.
lol...I on the other hand hated being the first child....
your bumight.com feed doesn't update! oh and first-borns usually got the fiery end of the stick - hammered into submission and broken like errant horses!
Middle child syndrome? Na!! You are an achiever.
I have 3 kids and I do not intend to have a 4th. Eh! 3 is a handful already, what word would be used to qualify 4?
lol... gee that was scary. My real name appeared under my comment. I freaked out...lol
@neffie: LOl! saw it and was wondering what u were drinking!
oya repost ur comment under "nefertiti"
lol...i feel you on this post...its not easy to be a middle child...my sister feels exactly same u do..i think both of u have so much in common..btw am new to blogville..oneandonlynala.blogspot.com i would appreciate a little bit of support here and there...
If it makes you feel better, I think you act like a first born daughter - you know, responsible, self-motivated (as opposed to a lot of first born sons:))
My sister is no 4 out of 6, no 2 out of 4 girls, and she's felt middle child syndrome. No 5 was born 17 months after her, so she barely got to be a last born either before she was one of a set. Sometimes if my parents bought her something and not for no 5, no 5 would cry till my parents took it from no 4 and gave it to her. Awful. Thank goodness they've bonded in the past few years!
I, am happily, a last born ^_^.
Although this kinda sounds like a therapy session- it is hilarious!!! Nice one Bumight!
I dont know why but this post makes me so sad. I need a hug.
Ah ah..but ees not being s first born naa..
and no bumight.com does not update kilode?
Hahaha...this post was funny because I have 2 sisters and I am the baby so it's hilarious thinking that my immediate older sister would feel the way you feel.
As the baby of my household, I was never starved of attention but yet I could NEVER get enough. I loved loved loved to be the centre of attention. If I wasn't the centre of attention then the WORLD WAS NOT A HAPPY PLACE! LOL...does this mean I have grown into a self-absorbed, attention-seeking drama queen of some sorts? Why yes, absolutely! Although these days, I am more self-less and loving, I still like attention occasionally.
So you could say I suffer from Last Born Syndrome.
Don't we all have some syndrome or the other...
Post a Comment