
I dont know if I mentioned it on here, but I'm done with my pediatric rotation, and I'm rounding up my psychiatry rotation. As part of your grade, you have to interview a patient in front of an Attending, then present the patient. You get graded on both. I'd been feeling nervous about the interview the whole time and I finally did it today.
I went to go grab the patient I was supposed to be interviewing , the patient was schizophrenic. To put things into perspective, lemme give you background information. when naija people say "are you mad"? they are talking about schizophrenics.
First, psychotic patients are the toughest to interview, especially in a setting where you are being graded. Normally, I'd just have let him talk but in this situation, I had to ellicit certain information from the person.
First he thought that the EFCC were after him and had the satellite monitoring him. He believed he was a physicist and that the Nigerian government had given him 25 million naira which he donated to the hospital.
Every time I asked him a question, he would go round in circles and sometimes come back and answer the question, or just plain didnt answer my question. eg
Bumight: "so what brought you to the hospital"
Patitent: "there are different parts of the body. do you have an imagination?....I'm asking you a question. do you think before you talk"
Bumight: "The focus is on you right now, im..."
Patient: "i asked you a question...."
and on and on, and the interview dragged. Bear in mind that this was a timed interview. I had 30 mins to interview him, same as I would have had for a more cooperative patient. Anyways, so there were two of us being tested and the first person really got grilled by the attending physician. By the time it was my turn, he had left and so he had the residents grade me.
They asked me questions which I answered for the most part, and he kept going at it cos he was looking for a place to trip me and I wasnt really giving him much chance.
I felt so-so after the interview, but I wished the attending was there to grade me, cos I feel that the residents would be harsher on me because they would feel that I had it easier/more laid back oral exam. Of course the field wasnt a level one because I had a more difficult patient than my patner did, and she got a lot more pressure as it was the Attending that was grilling her.
This is not a pity post or a rationalization defence mechanism (cc Mizchif, lol) but I almost felt like I didnt have the opportunity to be happy about the outcome of my exam because of the difference in circumstance with my partner's exam.
To top that off, after the exam I had to go to clinic for another Attending and the secretary there was also trying to take a piss on me. trying to excercise her non-existent powers. like "twitch! step back you're NOT the doctor, u're just d freaking secretary!" Dunno why some people like drinking garri for other people's problems. I really had to hold my tongue, because if I had said something I'd have definitely ended up being in the wrong. She kept giving me side-eye throughout the day, like I cared! Anyways, that was my last day working with her, so I just brushed it off!
I'm going to write a proper post about about my experiences in psychiatry (Except you guys dont wanna hear about it - in that case I'll keep my stories of patients hitting on me to myself :D)
gosh! I've missed blogging.
Photo credit: here
PS: thanks for bringing it to my attention Sugarking, the description of my patient (written in bold) has obviously been changed (dude aint nigerian o! lol) but hopefully you guys get the idea. (delusions of grandiosity, persecution blah blah)

15 comments:
blogging.... ive missed here. bum bu, not to worry am sure all will go well
how've u been????
plz write ur stories... they shuld be fun. i look forward to laffing out loud.
ahh blogging is so re-freshening am thinking of a come back.
long time girl wow
I love ur blog! But i'm scared for you o! didn't you sign some confidentiality thingy??? in case the wrong people stumble across this.
hmmmm I have a pyschopathic client so I kind of know what you mean. At least the good thing is i work with billable hours so the more he rambles on and on the more i can reduce my overdraft and save up for that bag lol
Was that in Nigeria? Is it scary working with psychotic patients? Do tell more, this is like another Grey's which went flat for me after George left...
@Lighty: you this babe! just disappearing and reappearing at will!
you definitely need to make a come-back SOON!
thanks for remembering me :)
@BBB: Now im certain you dreamt of me last night, cos how else can i explain ur dropping by out of d blues!
@Sugarking: thanks! i already put d addendum to the post. I had changed most of the stuff around to protect privacy and stuff.
@MDM: long time! lucky you, i dnt get paid for this.
@Myne Whitman: nope. I go to med school in the states. Ijust had to change stuff around but you get the picture. He said he was a very important person with a lot of money and people were out to get him".
Might have to do a post about your questions! I was scared at first, but towards the middle of d rotation, i got more relaxed. I've really not had to deal with any violent patient!
Stop Crying You are going to be SOOO great as a Doctor! Soooo Great!
Mista Jaycee
*sigh* I do miss my "darling" psychi patients a teeny weeny lirru bit. lol.
Keeping a straigh face during wards rounds or interviewing was such a task.
Hats off to u, fortunately i didn't have an oral exam, i just did the intervies myself then presented the patient, so i was able to gloss over some areas ;-)
Don't worry i'm sure fam med will be mushh (h)ezier!
lol. I can't even imagine having to try make sense from an obviously crazy person. I think you just have to trust that you did great and let it go :-) Yay for being done with this rotation.
Very interesting one.
I enjoyed reading this
I don't envy you having to interview a Schizo patient
I bet when you have graduated and you look back, all of these 'pains' would be worth it after all.
Cheers!
*sigh*
Bumightm I thank-you very much for putting me in your prayers, someone just sent me the link to your last post, I just feel like I shldn't be here anymore, or happy either...
Thank-you sooooooo much
lai lai will someone pour salt in your garri. sure you did more than enough
I would have thought that with over 2 years of blogging you were more than qualified to handle the minds of a lunatic..
Obviously I was wrong.
It takes 4 years i hear...
Longest time
Errr
don't think i can handle all that.
i am already a messed up case...haha,
patients hitting on you? DO TELL!!!
you know, i've always though of having my head examined. seriously. will you poke around in there someday? lol
Post a Comment