twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I've been bad...spank me please!

I know I've been a bad, bad blogger!I promised to blog all through my third year clerkships, but I haven't done so. I neglected to blog throughout my surgery rounds, and that mysterious itch that only comes around when you're gowned up in sterile fashion. I didnt blog about my Ob/Gyn experience and my first deliveries. I didnt blog about my chosen career path (well, I decided that post could be used as fodder for my Residency personal statement so that one was deliberate.)
In part, I could blame twitter (can't we all) because once I tweet about certain things, I lose the excitement to blog about it. I've tweeted about things I once would have rushed to create a post about: contraceptives, abortion, etc. However, I cant blame everything on twitter. Life as a third year is just not the same as it was in year 2 when I was practically chained to my laptop. However, I do solemnly swear that I shall make amends...from this very minute.

Today, I was in class listening to a classmate give a presentation on Abortion. Coincidentally Jaycee had tweeted briefly about it earlier. I tweeted throughout a whole lecture on abortion and got some very interesting comments on twitter. As Nigerians, abortion is a very taboo topic. I do remember when I first started blogging and people used to write posts on abortion, the anonymous commenters were always quick to lash out in all their self righteous glory.

Let's be clear on one thing, I do NOT support abortion, however I dont think it should be illegal. One of the reasons why the mortality rate from abortion is very high in places like Nigeria is because it is illegal. People have to resort to quack doctors like the one I blogged about here, to get one. They end up with infections, uterine perforations and subsequently not being able to have a child because of this. I tweeted that the mortality rate from abortion in the United states is less than 1% . Obviously there are other options available for people who would rather not, and as a result fewer people resort to abortions.

In Nigeria, abortion is illegal, and having the baby out of wedlock brings you scorn and ridicule. So people are caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. I dont know if I'm making sense, but what do you guys think?

14 comments:

SHE said...

Yes, You're making sense.

But who says the people who patronise the quack doctors now will be able to afford it, even if it is legal?
The quack doctors will always be cheaper, though more dangerous. I do believe that if you are enlightened and you have the money today, you will find a good albeit "unethical" doctor to perform the process.

The high mortality may then be linked to poverty and illiteracy, rather than legal problems. Am I making sense?

Rebirth said...

you made sense....i dont fully support abortion but sometimes, it may be the way to go...

Rebirth said...

you made sense....i dont fully support abortion but sometimes, it may be the way to go...

T.Notes said...

Sad story i heard recently: this chic dies during child birth. Not sure she n boyfriend did marry eventually,but story's is she got pregnant during their dating years. So, should she have aborted, n mayb be alive now? She tried to do d brave thing n carry the child thru n instead...
Its def a dicy decision but i'm a no-no for abortion. Two people shld b sensible in d 1st place.

misspumping said...

i want to say it is a personal decision but i cant because honestly speaking i believe it is wrong

Unknown said...

Caught between the devil and the deep blue sea - that most def sums it up. People need options or they would die/suffer needlessly.

By your own admission you've been a naughty girl - I would spank you online if it was possible - but the whack would not be the same as to really feel it, would it? Shame!

Anonymous said...

thwack....you have just been spanked

Anonymous said...

on abortion...i know its easy to say abortion is wrong but i have never ever faced a situation where i had to make that decision.... so i really dont know...tough one!!At the end of the day everyone is liable for their actions and it really is a personal decision

Toluwa said...

people should have to make their own decision..it should nt be illegal! what abt ppl whor married but cant have the baby for some medical reason?

U made sense!

Btw, long time!

~Sirius~ said...

Sadly it's kinda legal for those who have terminal issues.

the hospitals flush, but when it come to a woman having to take that decision without health complications, it's a different story entirely.

It's a choice really, like being gay as well.

Everybody should have the right to choose....it's a dicey though.

Anya Posh said...

*smack - smack* you've been a bad girl! :)

On that abortion gist, it's sad and unfortunate but I am pro-Life all the way.
I'm kinda radical in my ways because I believe if people are not aware/ready for the consequences of pregnancy; they shouldn't be having sex. period. And I'm also pro-Choice about using contraceptives, Plan B, condoms, spermicides, sponges... all of that protection.
I don't even condone abortion in the extreme cases like rape. If a person has been raped & can't bear to raise that child as a product from a painful experience then they should give the baby up for adoption. That's my take on abortion talks.

Myne said...

I think you've received your share of spanks so I'll desist. I agree with the abortion part of your write-up. There should always be that choice.

sosexy said...

I'm not totally against abortion even though I'm a staunch catholic,cause I think with the reason plausible and situation right not sneaking to go have a D and C will make life easier for loads of people.Nice place you got..First time here.I'd be back

aloted said...

me sef i need to be spanked..

this abortion issue...o ga! certainly a grey area! however with every choice we make we shld be ready to face the consequences.

how school?

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com