twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Monday, April 5, 2010

When I had my first baby...


I’m here studying for my Ob/Gyn final exam, and I suddenly get the urge to write. I have accepted that my desire to blog is directly proportional to how stressed out I am about upcoming exams.

We’ve all heard it described as the Joy of Childbirth, the Miracle of Childbirth, and such glowing descriptions. Of course I was excited to have my own second-hand experience of this joy. It wasn’t to come till almost the third week of my rotation, I was on call and alas someone had gone to C/C (complete dilation of the cervix, OB speak for “we’re ready to push”) so I donned my gloves, held her legs and got ready to watch this miracle happen. Babies have this notorious wish to be born late at night or in the early hours of the morning, so I was yet to be part of a delivery. When I finally got my chance, to say I was disgusted would be an understatement.

What they don’t tell you when they tell you about the miracle of childbirth, is that with each push various bodily secretions including blood, urine and feaces are fair game. Every time she bore down, she pushed a big one out. Also she had hemorrhoids, and trust me, it wasn’t a pretty sight- definitely not the sight I wanted to be seeing my first time around.

While I was holding her leg, the thoughts going through my head was (in retrospect) just hilarious. See, at that time, I had decided that Ob/Gyn was going to be my specialty. So here I was, holding her leg, thinking to myself “are you really sure you want to do this for the rest of your life?”

So there and then, my desire for an elective Caesarian section was further strengthened, until I scrubbed in for my first c-section. Make no mistakes people, a c-section is actually major surgery. Don’t be fooled by the version you see on Discovery Health or Kendra. The way we were pushing, tugging and pulling the woman’s abdomen till we got the baby out, err…that was when I started thinking of surrogacy! Lol

Five vaginal deliveries and 3 c-sections later, I must say that my views have been slightly modified. I don’t see vaginal deliveries as nasty anymore. I saw some pretty neat ones. I saw a teenager push out a baby, and a couple of people deliver without epidurals. All in all, I’ve been touched by the miracle of childbirth. The truth is, childbirth is not easy either way. However, our bodies were created to accommodate it. The look on the mothers’ faces when we go in to see them hours later, is just priceless.

What I know is that when I’m doing so my husband better be standing beside me going through it with me. Don't even get me started on the analysis of the different fathers I've seen in the delivery room - the dotting father, the supportive husband, the omg-what-am-i-doing-here husband, the nervous teenage father, the i-dont-wanna-see-any-of-this-gross-stuff husband.

I truly believe there's something about the Labor and Delivery unit, or how else can I explain the extreme baby fever I felt for the past 2 months. I kept imagining myself pregnant, with a baby bump, during delivery....if you know ANYTHING about me, you'll know that I am extremely scared of childbirth! I felt very...err...fertile. I swear if a guy as much as sneezed on me during that period, it would have been a goal! o well, I think I'm over it now - or am I?


PS: contrary to the title of the post, I'm G0 P0 (never been pregnant, dont have a child )!

32 comments:

Tinu said...

firrrrrrrrrsssssssttt

Tinu said...

firrrrrrrrrsssssssttt

Tinu said...

OMG OMG this is the fooorst time ive been foorsst on this blog!*bb dance emoticon*
jeeeeezz and i want(ed) to have triplets!Jisoz i think ill jus stick to the vaginal delivery, but daaaammmmn! I would have fainted in the OR if i was eveer there

mizchif said...

Baby fever ke?
Please if there's something you are trying to tell us, just say it already.

Ob/Gyn was definitely an experience, tho i saw countless CS's and deliveries, i'm still on the surrogacy tip. No baby fever here.

And thank you for touching on all those body secretions that are part of the pushing process, oh and hemorrhoids too.
Ok, i should stop.

#Dearfuturehusband please understand.

Giagerry said...

LOL tinu!
ur really happy i see.
lool
doctor!!

SHE said...

I suppose miracle lies in the whole process. From fertilisation to delivery.
The puzzling thing is, despite the pain and all what nots, some women do it again and again and again! Up to ten times!

That's a real miracle!

Ms.O said...

Surrogacy it is..feaces, urine, blood..mixed together *bb sick emotion* errrm NOT for me!..lol

like mizchif said...#Dearfuturehusband please really do understand

~Sirius~ said...

Oh No..........

The CS is that bad too?

Sweet Jesus, save me when the time comes......Child birth scares the living daylight out of me!

Mwajim Al said...

I like the Doctor perspective. Yes, definitely a miracle to behold indeed! My womb still cringes though at the thought of it...

Fluffycutething said...

Not sure if i peed or pooed with my first baby oh!!! Had better not this 2nd time round sha... or else i'd change hospitals right after.LMAO

Unknown said...

lmao... Baby fever?? ul get over it...
THESE THINGS DO HAPPEN.. You were wonderful and you will definately luv o n g when u do dese deliveries regularly..
xoxo

Scarlet said...

I think i was more traumatised by c-section. Its the most crude surgery i've ever seen.it is straight up vicious.....the pulling was what did it for me....i'm still not over it yet. natural births were going ok for me till my first episiotomy and that killed it for me.

O&G is definately not for me o.... i'll stick to ophthalmology which is nice and clean :)

Fabulo-la said...

Ugh! There is NO WAY in HELL!
I have ALWAYS been an advocate of surrogacy but damn! Did u have to describe it like that?
Urghhh..!
*shudders*

Adeoluwa - NBB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bArOquE said...

talk about violation, i already feel scarred

LOL@the transition from normal delivery to C section to sorrugate...

i fall into the category of dont-wanna-see-any-of-this-gory-stuff...cuz if i do, i might never go there

AliceDCL said...

tinu
dont think i didnt see the expo on twitter

the miracle of childbirth
i would like to go thru d pain, and work hard to have a baby cos i know it aint beans, its hard work and i will and i can do it

bumight said...

@Tinuo: my iyawo! yes o, you're fooorst!!
You can have your triplets o, but u know they always deliver triplets by c-section. also, shey you know that nigerians have the highest incidence of twins? so u can get started on it :) lol

@Mizchif: yeah, there's something im not telling you: "Mizchif, I want to have your babies!"
surrogacy ko, which #dearfuturehusband will understand?

@Gee: yelz o! she's really happy. we had to give her expo sef!

@SHE: you took the words out of my mouth! we had this neighbor in naija, that was always chronically pregnant. 10 kids and counting, and you know in naija, most people have natural births! Although, the more you do it, the shorter the time it takes to get the baby out.

@Ms O: you and Mizchif are on a looooong ting! you better go start preparing yourself. did you read solomonsydelle's TTTEC post about a woman who wanted an elective c-section, and her mother-in-law wanted her to have a vaginal delivery and it was wahala?
ok, i want to see u explain surrogacy to ur husband!

@Sirius: yup! and it takes longer to heal. dont worry, we're in the same camp, child birth STILL scares the crap out of me!

@Mwajim Al: thanks. Its definitely a miracle to behold! be prepared :)

@Fluffycutething: not sure? as in, not sure! I'm sure the nurses that were can tell you for sure. Lol! but they're used to it by now anyways.

@sweetness: awwww, thanks! I have appointed you big Sis from now on!

@Scarlet: yeah, its very crude surgery. I saw an episiotomy, and i cringed, whats more the girl didnt have an epidural!

@Fabulo-la: lol.pele my dear.

@Baroque: u dont wanna see? but u can at least stand by the bed and hold my hand abi? or else we cant get married o! - and u know i want to marry u. lol!

@BBB: you go girl! you're the first person to say this! in fact, im inspired! - now lemme go find a guy ....

leggy said...

i think ill decide when i get there.my mum pushed all six of us out..she says after a while we sort of just walked out.

Aee Bonrue said...

i wanna have a baby...nay twins...like yesterday...but i don't wanna see how it happens..arrgh! i tried one time mehn, ko work...i puked...i still have goose pimples whenever i remember...Damn, i hate Youtube..

Molara Brown said...

Think I will leave my decision till then...

Anonymous said...

I am terrified and totally scared of childbirth....if i have my way, i would rather not give birth to any child....i would rather adopt....

Anonymous said...

Go girl!
dats awesome
i was watching a childbirth vid and i cudnt finish it

lol

Abortion is still a taboo topic
lol at the anonymous ppl commenting
hmm

Myne said...

That is such a cute pic, me I will go with CS if you ask me now.

sosexy said...

Hmmm, Ok.. I wish you luck..I don't want to lose my appetite to eat

Unknown said...

you got it right babes
my boo has got to be there when i am pushing my twins into the world.

i don't call my boo 'Adonis' any longer, i found out that adonis and aphrodite did not end up together

aloted said...

that was a gory description of childbirth...gross! lol

but seriously men need to appreciate women more..cuz what we go through in labour is not moimoi!!!

yes i have been once and i can testify!!! it is not beans at all!! no dignity again with all sort of hands poking u down there...mscheew

but my princess is worth it all:)

but err not sure how soon i want to be doing ALL that again!

men appreciate us oooooooooo

histreasure said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
histreasure said...

yes, it's true that when you get to look in your baby's eyes and later, see their smile and watch them grow, u get to understand for real, the miracle of life..

so does this mean, we are not gonna have our very own blogger O&G specialist in da house?

Fefe said...

Hi! Love your blog!

MyDressSense said...

oh gosh! this is both funny and scary...lol @ leggy's comment too...

olaoluwatomi said...

Love the caveat about being G0P0. I used to love cesarean sections because I had a chance to perform them, but when I had my fill of them, I preferred SVD when the woman was fully dilated which were quicker and had less hassle than the preops for surgery and would see me in my bed faster! Why do babies love to come in the middle of the night when sleep is sweetest:)
Nice post! SO much for catching the bug for wanting to be pregnant:)) Its a lot more work than pushing the pickin out o!

Anya Posh said...

wow, this is absolutely amazing! congratulations! are epidurials safe? wow did you feel just being there all up in another woman's pumpum ....darn gurl, you are very brave!

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com