Every morning when I wake up, I push "play" on the iHome box sitting on my bathroom sink. There's a couple of songs I listen to while taking a shower and getting ready for the hospital, Omoba by Dprince, Kondo by DaGrin , Feeling It by Banky W, and any other songs I get to before I have to leave the house. I dont know if I'll be able to play that sequence again- at least for a while.
I'm hardly overly moved by celebrity deaths, and to be quite honest, I didnt get why people were crying when MJ passed. I mean, it was not like you knew him personally. Inasmuch as I dont get starstruck, there are a handful of artistes that make me go ga-ga: TI (we're getting married), Wande Coal (need I explain?) and DaGrin. I cant count the number of people I have shoved Kondo down their throats till they liked it (no pun intended). Even some of my Ibo friends who have no idea what he's saying.
Two artistes I respect are 9ice and DaGrin, for not being scared to do their work in the indiginous languages. I dont mean the customary yoruba sayings here or there just so your song can claim street credibility. Those two went hard on the language, 9ice for the deep sturves he sang about that made me brush up my yoruba notes and DaGrin for being so ill with his lines despite the fact that he was rapping in Yoruba.
The first song I heard was "Ghetto Dreams" and I was blown away by the verse
Mo ni dream lati believe bi Pastor Chris I have a dream to believe like Pastor Chris
but mo wa carried away pel'efizzi Ludacris But I'm carried away by the Effizi of Ludacris
Mo ni dream lati mo we bi Wole Soyinka I have a dream to be booksmart like Wole Soyinka
but problem ti mo ni, awon sisi yi mi ka But problem is there are a lot of chicks around
I was hooked immediately! i thought it was sheer talent. Then I listened to Kondo, and I just lost it. I played that song multiple times daily, and i still play it everyday. I've also had to explain (or translate) to people what the kondo is.
This morning, I was on my way to the hospital, and Kondo came up on my ipod, and all of a sudden I couldnt see. I didnt know why I was crying. I might have to reselect my morning songs.
RIP the man who told us what to do when our moms go to the market and our dads have gone to Lokoja. You'll live on forever on our ipods.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
This is ultimately sad.
I don't really know much about him but Its still so sad.
Eh ya, that was a moving tribute. I know so many people will miss him. He was gone too soon, may his soul rest in peace.
nicely written.
Aww...yea,so sad how DaGrin passed!
*e-hugs*
ok so right nw im pissed at ur blog or the internet or smthing cos i had to grow blind to read this post :(
however
rip dagrin dude was full of life frm the interview I watched. quite sad
Now I wish blogger had a 'like' button I cud click on...just as facebook has
RIP dagrin
i just got his album
didnt really listen in before
and now i have brand new respect
Awww....May his soul rest in peace!!!
I'm listening to Kondo right now!!!!
Listening to "If i die"
RIP Barrack O Grin...
Lovely. I loved Kondo but that was all I'd listened to before his death. Now I'm hooked on the first two songs......
He'll be missed that's for sure.
Peace
Is it me, my laptop or......It took a lot of determination on my part to read this excellent post. Thanks for the lines in red though.
With regards DaGrin, I never heard his music, but it made breaking news here in Lagos when this 23 year old talent unfortunately drove into a stationary vehicle in the early hours from a party on his way to meeting that passage called death.
I was made to understand that he struggled, like we all do, to get to where he was before this rather untimely termination of life.
The lines you posted from Kondo exposes his creativity and its sad the graveyard has won yet again.
DaGrin, may your gentle talented soul rest in peace
I didn't even know there was an artiste like DaGrin until we heard he had died.
That's when I heard his songs played over and over on the radio. He sure got talent and he was just a rising star.
May his soul rest in peace.
Nice one (just seeing this). We knew what it was, baby!! xoxo for this post and RIP DaGrin
-HexyDre
Post a Comment