There are many moments in your medical school “career” that you would think back with fondness, loathing, anger, resentment – or whatever emotion it evokes in you.
Last month, I was privileged to be part of the team taking care of one of the patients. She wasn’t my first choice for patients, but I picked her up as a patient. This middle aged woman presented with nausea and vomiting, abdominal distention. Turns out she had liver cancer mets (meaning the cancer did not arise primarily in the liver but was from some other site). For over 2 weeks before I took her on as a patient, she was already receiving “treatment” in the hospital. By the time she became my patient, she was really sick.
One thing one of the doctors n the hospital said to me and which has stayed with me- cos you know a lot of things hover with u for seconds- was “Do you know how cancer kills you? You die from the failure of the organ involved”
So For instance, if you have lung cancer, the cancer cells outgrow
This lady had liver cancer, so we were essentially treating her liver disease. The liver clears your toxic waste (eg. Ammonia), makes your proteins, and clotting factors. Her ammonia levels were building up, and when these go to your brain, your mental status decreases. Her protein levels were low, so she was swollen everywhere.
Every morning, I dreaded going in to see her, examine her, knowing that there was really nothing I could do. She was in constant pain all the time, and even with the pain meds she was getting, her moans were hard to ignore. She had her children beside her for most of the time. It was just heart wrenching to watch.
She gave up the ghost on my last day of the rotation.
Last week, I started a new rotation, oncology. There was another patient with a similar presentation- almost exact. The only difference was he wasn’t as out of it as the previous lady was. He could talk, and wasn’t as sick. He decompensated in a couple of days, and this morning, we found out that he had passed.
I hate cancer!

19 comments:
Cancer sucks! We had a fireman come in because he has abdominal pain. You shoulda seen the CT scan. His liver looked like swiss cheese. I mean it was that bad plus the thing is terminal so nothing they can do for him other than chemo to prolong his life.
i can begin to tell you how much i despise cancer. i'm in school getting my phD in biomedical research. my focus right now is on prostate cancer. i don't think i have to tell you that the primary site of metastasis is to the bone. once that happens ish gets real ugly. i really wish there was a universal cure for cancer. not treatments but a CURE.
Oh wow....that's soooo sad...May God protect our friends and love ones from cancer!
I hate cancer too. I'm sure that with being in the medical field it's even more sickening when you see death happen right in front of you. And not peaceful death, but death due to sickness. It's not an easy thing. Stay strong!
Why can't we find a cure to this damned disease!!?? We landed a man on the moon eons ago for crying out loud :(
-HexyDre
I think this is one of the reasons I couldn't do my mum proud and study medicine. You have to be strong to be a doctor. SO kudos to you! And cancer sucks! Don't even want to this about it!
~x~
i am scared of cancer, i despise it
The worst illness im scred off. Its hit close to home too many times.......
i hate cancer too! its so sad, the fact that it has no cure is just so disheartening. *sighs*
:( I can imagine how heart wrenching it must be when you want to save, but there is not a thing you can do... Take heart :)
What bugs me even more is it that seems one can not or there is not much one can do to prevent it (except the removal of some removable organs).
awww...thats so sad.
Terrible...keep your head up tho'.
I hate cancer too...Very sad!
I hate cancer too...and I applaud the docs who work tirelessly to do the best for their patients dealing with cancer.
Stories like this tend to put us in a sober mood and realise that we take our good heath for granted sometimes forgetting the fact there are a good number of people who would give anything to be in our shoes. Cancer has brought sorrow to many families all over the world and i hope a remedy is found soon. I salute your courage. It takes guts to be a doctor no doubt.
Keep your head up, it cannot be easy seeing this everyday. I hate cancer so much, it has truly made its mark on both sides of my family. I pray that God helps us find a combative cure.
It's really really sad to know that with all we have diseases like can and AIDS can't be cured....
Can't believe am just discovering this blog..
Post a Comment