twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Saturday, May 29, 2010

When One becomes Two and other stories

I haven't listened in on the verastic show in a long time because of my schedule, so it was with great excitement that i signed on to listen to today's show. The topic was "When one becomes two" and was all about divorce. Vera had a male co-host who had been divorced twice.
At first it was interesting- and even funny, when callers seemed to be going in on the co-host (who shall henceforth be referred to as "Uncle Demola"). All of a sudden it was as if the plot of the show was just to crucify the poor dude for having been divorced twice. (Vera, you didnt stop your callers or make any move to rescue him so u are equally guilty *side eye*)

I have been on the chat box when we have talked about various topics that had to do with marriage, and because almost all the callers were single, we werent able to get a realistic view. I understand that the idea of having someone who has been through it, is to give us an sneak peak into the reality of divorce. Most of us say divorce is not an option, or its only an option if...., but we really dont know what we would do if we were in the same shoes.

Now, I'm no fan of divorce, and I believe that its only God that can keep a marriage intact. If you've been married for donkey years, its not by your doing. Many people marry the Loves of their lives, at the right time, with their pastor's blessings and still end up divorced or worse still living in an unhappy marriage. That uncle demola has been divorced twice OBVIOUSLY means he made a mistake somewhere and has been gracious to share his view/experience from an angle that most of us dont have.

I really took offence on his behalf (who send me?) for callers like Mustapha who made it a duty to interrogate- almost rudely, and nitpick at the man's life. I for one think a divorce is a very personal experience and even though he has agreed to be a co-host on the show it doesnt give us the right to interrogate him. He can choose how much to divulge or keep private, afterall he is not under oath or anything.

175X100
All that is a long ting, yours truly has been nominated in the Blog awards for:
  • Best student blog
  • Best use of social media
  • Best designed blog
I am truly humbled to be nominated in those categories, that its enough even if i dont win. Especially since it was one nomination per blogger. Ok ees lie! i really really want to win *gets down on both knees clasping hands*
voting begins on Monday!

PS: I am not related to the co-host in any way o! I only started calling him "uncle" Demola because busola first called him so.
PPS: oh, and vote for my girl Avartsy Kitchen for best food blog! she got me trying out recipes that I wouldnt even have dared!

9 comments:

Giagerry said...

First!!!
nd yes oo--vera is soo equally guilty--the girl jst kept quiet sha!
LOL
vera we love u too!
Congrats bumight on d nominations--u may just have my vote as soon as i see hu ur oponents are!
xx

Jennifer A. said...

I missed the show this morning cos I had other "duties" to perform...eyahhh at the interrogations...lol. Hopefully I'll get to listen to it later. I too believe it takes only God to see a marriage through...it's not just about the lovey-dovey things we see on TV, that's why it's very important to make sure one marries a spouse that has the same long-term goals, beliefs, and completely supports one's vision (100%). Enuff said.

That being said, congrats on your nominations...*wink*

bArOquE said...

...personally, I don't see d point of marriage, except for children...but that would be from d African point of view

Like u said, its only Almighty God that can keep a marriage together but with humans, when it becomes unbearable...it fails

&to people like Mustapha, if you've never been married...then shut the fuck up if you're not gonna say anything sensible

Myne said...

Totally agree with you, just like shit, divorce happens. It doesn't have to be any ones fault.

Congrats on your nominations but ehen ehen, lol...

Anonymous said...

I'm soo glad you put up this post Bumight!

The main purpose of the show was not for the discussion to be focused around him.. its his personal life after all. I find that Nigerians can be soo critical and hypocritical. I'm 100% sure that if the callers went through the same thing... they will have done the same damn thing as the co-host. Marriage is not easy and it takes alot to decide to pull out.. even twice for the co-host(those callers were definitely unmarried folks to be soo judgmental)

Lets not be quick to judge others..or throw daggers. Seriously, how many Nigerians will come out on a forum like that to disclose such information with their name as well... (0 PERECENT). I believe if the co-host had decided to share all the details of his marriage then the show will have gotten really messy with everyone interrogating both his private life and that of his family. At least at the start of the show the co-host made it clear that if anyone had further questions, he could be contacted directly. So what the fuck was wrong with those callers...acting like it was a court case.

Just like u said, Vera needed to have done something about it..either by making the purpose of the show clear AND making some sort of announcement to urge callers to take a chill. Hopefully she learns from this mistake.

This comment is getting too long.. I'm out.

miss.fab said...

I listened in on this show, and I agree with you 99%... holding back the 1% because I understand why people were frustrated with his (extremely) vague reasons for his marriages didn't work. However, Mustapha, as "smart" and direct as he seemed to be, left a really bad taste in my mouth with his patronizing and antagonistic tone on the call. At the end of the day, it's Demola's personal story and he has every right not to divulge any information he doesn't want to. It seemed to me that most people just wanted to hear the "gist" of what happened and weren't really interested in learning from his experiences because let's face it - what did Demola say that we haven't all heard before?

Anonymous said...

大型ホールあなるアナルゲイ 体験アナルセックスアナル 拡張

ibiluv said...

@Baroque.....what about the reason the Holy book gave?

for companionship!!!!!!!!

cos peeps dont need a marriage certificate for procreation anymore

I agree though,if you've never been in the game-keep ya damn mouth shut!!!!!!!

Ehn Vera!!!!! why you leave Uncle Demola to the wolves???

Vera Ezimora said...

Guess I'm late to reading this.

As the host *clears throat* I have to be neutral. I want you and all the other listeners to consider that Mr. Demola was not our first host to be on the show, and neither was he the first host to be interrogated. Mr. Demola is fine (as in doing okay), trust me. It's starting to sound like people are just pitying him for being divorced.

Take everything he said from a neutral point. If you do, you will understand where he, Mustapha, and I were coming from. It's a talk show; I need everyone (callers and co-hosts like) to air their views. Mr. Demola needed to protect some information about himself. Callers/listeners, on the other hand, were frustrated with not being told how not to have a divorce.

In other words, Mr. Demola has every right to share or keep certain information to himself. And the callers and listeners, too, have every right to not appreciate that.

Off I go to bed.

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com