twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Your Speech Betrays You...

Surely you also are one of them, for your speech betrays you (Matt. 26:73).

How many times have you tried to deny you're nigerian, you might even be able to get away with it for a few minutes with your yankee/brit/canadian accent, until someone spots your name tag: A Goldfish has no hiding place, same with a twithead. See, I'm on twitter with my blog name, so technically, I'm a semi anonymous tweeter. Yeah, its been hard keeping that part of my life separate from my real life because it indirectly jeopardizes my blog identity. So imagine the 007 i have to do to maintain the separation, not easy since I'm usually on my phone and people are wondering who im "texting" 24/7.

Even if you keep mum, there are some things you do that can invariably expose you as a twithead
1. #hashtags
Yeah, I dont care what you say, but this is one of the ultimate give aways. You know when you send text messages, put up BB status updates, emails, and you put hashtags.

Dear Professor Woodly,
I'm sending you this email to protest the grade you gave me on my anatomy final. I answered all your questions accordingly #notcool. #imjustsaying I deserved a 100 on that test, and thats #keepingitonehunn

2. *DEAD*
this one creeps into facebook from time to time. Someone puts up a facebook status, and one of your friends who you had no idea was on twitter, comments on the status and writes "*DEAD*.
I dont know where this expression came from, but 9/10 of people who are "dead-ing" on facebook, or even hi5 are from twitland


3. An excessive knowledge of whom RevRun is
This one is I have to explain. Of course everyone knows who Rev Run is. If you didnt know him from his RUN DMC days, then you've probably watched Run's House. What you might not know is that Rev Run is full of "wisdom" which he graciously dispenses to his followers from time to time. These boluses of "wisdom" are subsequently retweeted with a diligence by most of his 943,467 followers.
I have seen Revrun tweets quoted in blogposts, heck! I've even seen them on facebook!

Those are the major 3 that i could think of. know anymore? please feel free to share!

Almost made the list: An excessive knowledge of naija music and underground artistes, #Gbagaun-ing someone in real life (or on facebook), ...

PS: It is no news to everyone that one of our favorite artists DaGrin was involved in a gruesome car accident. What I dont get is people going on twitter talking abou how wrong and unethical it is to spread pictures of him from the hospital. I mean, the guy is a celebrity with a huge fan base, his fans want to know that he's alive and well, so of course people will be curious. If we want to be treated like our western celebrities, we have to be able to accept the good with the bad. Afterall, we all diligently scanned the internet for "news" on Tiger woods' accident which subsequently led to the unearthing of his numerous affairs, we combed the internet for pictures of Rihana's busted face. Like seriously! take a chill pill, people WILL inquire about him.

Grin baba, we wish you a speedy recovery!

16 comments:

HexyDre said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HexyDre said...

Guilty as charged. I even used #dead on a FB status earlier today...i.e a combo of the hashtag and DEAD itself :D

BTW, You just expressed my mind about the ppl getting unnecessarily touchy wen folks post DaGrin's hospital pic. If he ain't a 'celebrity', no1 wud be in a haste to share such pics. We all love Grin baba and pray he gets well soon. *goatlike laff* (btw, that's another twitter giveaway)

Miss Enigma said...

Lol sooo true!!! And I catch myself wanting to @ someone on FB, or cc them. Twitter is sooo addictive, but I love it!

Twit-on! Twithead!

Afrobooboo said...

LOL... So true... I'm no more on #fb(I knw, sue me :p) tho, so I haven't fallen a victim to the "mistake". Regardless, I'm a victim everywhere else. My blog, my life, my comments(hehe!!). I used to write stuff in between asterixes way b4 twitter tho but with twitter came the hashtags and the pain on my thumbs due to excessive  typing. I don't think u left anything out tho n yea pipl shld stop stressing about th Dagrin pics. He is a celebrity and with dat comes the lack of privacy.

Ricdizzle said...

lol, the hashtag also shows up in text messages u send, then u a suspect...also
i think the @ sign used on fb status comments is very twitterish too..

~B~ said...

LOL, so truu!! I find I hav t edit my speech on FB, too many hashtags #notcool! heehee

mizchif said...

As much as i dont tell anybody IRL that i'm on twitter, the fact that i'm always giggling into my fone 24/7 kinda gives me away.

I do manage to keep the hashtags to just le blog and commenting.

For some reason i don't DEAD anything, even on twitter so that one hasnt followed me anywhere.

Twitter is like my comprehensive news channel, plus television commentary and weather updates all around the world.
My mum is amazed when i'm talking to her on the fone and i say "ehn i heard it rained yesterday" Or "there was an accident on Ozumba" lol.

mizchif said...

Oh and please decieve not thyself, Anony.....kini?

Tunde said...

let's as far as *dead* i think i was using that before twitter so i don't necessarily tie one in with the other.

one that i can think of is the use of #twss/#twhs. if you don't know it stands for "thats what (s)he said" a joke from the office. hilarious.

oh

Jennifer A. said...

One day on someone's facebook status she wrote *smh* and I laughed, hmm twitter addict. Another day someone copied RevRun's comment and made it their facebook status (without giving him credit). Because I follow RevRun I caught the person red-handed. Lol. "His speech betrayed him".

LOl about Dagrin. I was actually shocked that people (I mean people who claim they were in the hospital with him) were angry that people were talking about him on twitter. He's a celebrity now, and his fans care. What's wrong with that? Pictures will be sent. Rumors will be spread. No need to fear.

Myne said...

I'm not a twit head, but I do know Rev Run and #, now you can use @to tag people on FB too.

Adeoluwa - NBB said...

I just love twitter. I just chose not to use #dead in any of my tweets. at times i wonder who invents those tags.
I also think the hash tags and the @ sign on fb are from twitter. I also just did a post on twitter on my blog

The Girl with the Red Hair said...

Not yet a twit head.
Nigerian celebs have to realise that they are celeb are no longer ordinary people and their story is our business.

Aee Bonrue said...

Hehehhe *there goes* i even do that shit in SMSes.

My name's aeedeeaee and i'm a twitterholicheadmaniac.

The Activist said...

My partner is a Da grin fan and he was so shocked about his accident. I do wish him quick recovery.

You know some Nigerians that I have listened to with foreign accents. I still can't tell where they are from especially when they are faking it. lol

Anya Posh said...

lol...my first & last name are not stereotypically nigerian but spanish (partly my dad) so people think i'm just regular 'african-caribbean canadian' until i break it down for them.

twitland is a joke man...i can't even begin to explain.

so sad DA GRIN is dead...I wished him a safe recovery too :'(

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com