twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Judging a book by its cover

one thing I find myself doing - a habit I'm trying to kick- is judging people before I get to know them. I see someone, and after one, or sometimes no encounter, I determine that I'm not going to like this person. More often than not, I end up talking to these people and end up being best of friends with them! not friendly friend, not acquaintance, but bffs!



my BFF in high school was someone like that. I actually dont know why i didnt like her, but one day when we were changing dormitories, I was looking for someone to help me carry my locker. All my "friends" were nowhere to be found, she asked me to help her, and i said I hadnt moved mine yet. After a couple of hours, it seemed that noone would help us move our lockers, so we decided to move hers together and then move mine. That was the birth of a friendship that lasted over 6 years! It turned out that we were in the same class. I cant talk about my boarding house memories without mentioning her. we lost contact after i transfered schools in ss1.



Another friend that I refer to as the love of my life, my haitian lover(she actually owes me her first two kids :0) is another example. When we started med school, she just looked "mean" to me, and I just decided I wasnt going to like her. She became friends with some of my friends, and as such we had to interact. Inevitably we became close, and even closer than our mutual friends.



I can give examples for days- of classmates turned bestfriends, blogges turned best buddies. Its so bad that nowadays when i go "i dont think I like him/her" that little inner voice reminds me that that's my next bff!



Its a habit I'm trying to kick. Afterall we're all human. Reach out to that person who you think is so annoying, and that could be your future chief bridesmaid!

16 comments:

jhazmyn said...

Lol...guilty of same :), I really should be more committed to kicking it too

LG said...

lol@..that person who you think is so annoying, and that could be your future chief bridesmaid! Okay o*keeping fingers crossed*

*bubu how farz

Rebirth said...

i judged you before i met u, i hated u and i still hate u...deal with it..mschewwwwwww

Blogoratti said...

They judge me, before they even know me-Shrek.

SHE said...

I feel you. I have the same attitude. Just that the people hardly end up as friends.

Myne said...

I do that sometimes too but now I'll try at least.

Blessing said...

Lol...I do it often also! I've had a few bad friendships so everyone is guilty until proven innocent in my book!....dat's so not good!

Anoda Phase said...

ur last sentence is funny, but I agree.

Nice reminder to not judge a book by it's "cover".

mizchif said...

OPPOSITE!

I openly admit that i judge people, not just by their covers, but by their actions and attitude.
And more often than not, people i do not like from the jump usually end up giving me reason to pat myself on the back for not liking them at all.

What i consciously try to avoid is judging people based on what i've 'heard'. I'd rather give everyone a chance to show themselves than let me judge :-D

seye said...

Are you telling me?

Jennifer A. said...

I feel this post. Lol.

"Reach out to that person who you think is so annoying." Ditto.

NoLimit said...

True words!Guess we are all guilty of this offense in various ways...

Zena said...

My own is the exact opposite,

I love people then they turn around to stab in the back or try and sell my liver. Most times I get people's characters down, but you're right there's always an exception to the rule

Azazel said...

Lool @ fumss.
bbm talk toteh hand smiley bumight..
There are somepeople who I no fit reach out to because they are unreachableee lol

Unknown said...

Reach out!
I am really not like that.
If it happens, it will
I don't force things.

tobenna said...

Nice piece as usual Bumight!
To say I have missed you will be an understatement.
I HAVE MISSED BUMTIGHT!

Reach out and touch....somebody's hands, make this world a better place...

Thanks for reminding me.
Hope you are well?
You never finish this acada sef?

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com