twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Friday, November 5, 2010

Happy Birthday!

I know this might become very routine, and I might not be excited about it in a few. There are some moments ...
Al through third year of medical school, you follow the residents/nurses around, hoping to get to do something - set an IV line, close the skin incision in a surgery, check a patient's cervixor whatever it takes.
Specifically on OB/Gyn rotation, you hope that there's a delivery so you can deliver the placenta or someone actually lets you assist while delivering a patient.
I've had my fair share of placental delivery, and delivered a baby or two with assistance (you have to find the resident who'll allow you or the nurse that's not too cranky {the nurses deserve a whole post of their own!}).
So today, I was on the Labor and Delivery floor, the residents had class, so it was the students working with the attending. I had a patient come in in active labor, and I was excited about the opportunity of a vaginal delivery. When it was time to push, I was all gowned up and standing there. The nurse that had the patient is well known as a particularly cranky nurse who is not too pleased about students "messing with" her patient. As I put my hand to the vagina, she shooed me off and beckoned to the attending.
The attending then came to stand there, and I put my hand back there while she was pushing. The attending didnt say anything, so I proceeded to deliver the head, freed the anterior shoulder, and posterior shoulder, and baby was out!
The attending was pretty much assisting me in suctioning the baby, cutting the cord, and I managed to hand off the baby to the pediatricians....without dropping the baby! Lol!

This was my first unassisted delivery, and I guess what made the difference was:
1. Confidence: with confidence you can do almost anything- or bs your way through anything (not like Im saying I bs'ed my way, but if you're being pimped and you guess an answer with confidence, usually most people dont challenge you). Anyways, I think because I moved with purpose, the attending felt comfortable letting me deliver the baby.
I also delivered the placenta...and she had no tears!
2. Talk to the hand nurses!: sorry to my RN readers, but nurses, especially L&D nurses are notorious for having a funky attitude! They wont let you do anything with a patient, but when you come back 6 months later as an intern, they start expecting you to do/know stuff! like how am I supposed to know how to check a patient if I never did it before? schhheeew!

...ok, so I've lost my train of thoughts now, I'm on call and its 12:50am!

14 comments:

NakedSha said...

glad you got the chance

Ginger said...

That must have been an awesome experience!

rethots said...

Wow!!!

Hmmm, so you are now a 'mother'?

Apinke said...

Wow! Thats cool. Up you!

LG said...

lol@rethots
babe congrats jare, wish we cld see a pix of ur 'gown':)

Zayzee said...

congrats girl. So when r u setting up to be my doc? My twins will be due on December 26, 2011.

CaramelD said...

Even when it becomes routine, don't lose the feeling you have now. I'm sure that will make you an even more fabulous doctor.

SHE said...

Congrats on the birth of your first baby. Hehehe!

~Sirius~ said...

Yaaay!

Sounds really Awesome.

I salute all of you that choose this path in life.

Myne said...

Congrats on a successful delivery! This really moved me. Wish I'll have someone like you when the time comes. LOL...

Blessing said...

Wow, Good job!!!

Preacher's Son said...

Great Job ..... and you're so right about the confidence part as well in more ways than one ;-)

Ms.O said...

WOW...Congrats Doc!!!

Nigerian Drama Queen said...

OMG
Bumight...I remember when you were blogging about med school...and here you are now birthing babies now. Naapali would be so proud :)

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com