When I was younger, my parents and everybody around me were certain that I wouldn’t have any problems going through med school. Why? Because med school involves a lot of reading, and I would fit right in because I loved to read.
They were right – in some sorts. I used to be a voracious reader. I remember that I didn’t really enjoy watching TV as a child. Instead, I would lie down on the rug in the living room, reading my Ali and Simbi books. Remember Ali and Simbi? Edet who lived in Ikot Ekpene, Agbo who was waiting in Molete park?
When I was done with those, I discovered the hidden library in my primary school. With my best friend in tow, we read all the books in there – the whole Famous Five series, Secret Six and everything in between.
By the time I was seven, I was well into reading Mills and Boons. Yeah, I know its child abuse. As soon as I got a book, I was transported to a different world- to the annoyance of my mom. I can’t count the number of times I have burnt rice because I was reading. She used to say: “to ba de’le oko, novel lo ma se fun abi?” (When u get to ur husband’s house, its novels you would cook for him abi?). Many a times, she would yell my name and I wouldn’t hear (even though I was right beside her) because I was so engrossed in the book I was reading.
I wasn’t into buying books then because I read books in record times that it was just not worth it. Most of the books I read were borrowed from friends- and sometimes enemies. I didn’t have a library either, because once I read the book that was it. I had no use for it again.
I didn’t have any favorite authors- I read everything in print. Wole Soyinka, Cyprian Ekwensi, James Hardley Chase. Nelkon Physics, Chemistry, and Modern Biology were not left out either. The Lord of the Rings trilogy, I read but couldn’t watch.
Everything was fine and dandy till I discovered the internet. The ninth wonder of the world (google is the seventh). I read online books, and then I started reading through google and wikipedia. I’d google something random like 18th century monarchs and read up all the links about them.
However, ever since I discovered the internet, my reading took a nose dive. In between hi5, facebook and all the other stuff you could do on the internet, I lost my first love. I don’t read like I used to. The rush of seeing a new book I haven’t read has all but disappeared – save the rush I felt when I got the last Harry potter instalment, which I made sure to finish during the first week of school.
I spend countless hours scouring the internet for God-knows-what. Then last week, my internet got disconnected and I didn’t have money to pay to get it reconnected (yes, I’m broke like that). I picked up a book and I didn’t put it down till 2 hours later when I was done with it. It took my internet being disconnected to get me back to my true love.
I have acquired two books that I expect to devour in two days. Yesterday night, I started reading the first one and I’m excited to say I’m falling in love all over again!
PS: I wil edit this post later.
In other news, with 27% of the votes, its safe to assume that Wande coal is the choice of most bloggers, closely followed by styl-plus.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

35 comments:
im first
will be back to read
I'm second...
And I could relive my childhood when you were talking about your reading habits...
I love reading, and didn't discriminate growing up... Everything went through... When I moved to the States, I got into American and English literature and was fascinated all over again.
The Internet can become a distraction indeed.. I am glad you got back to it...
Enjoy!
Its kinda weired how we loose something 2 find another.
Good 2 know u av returned 2 ur true love.
I must confess, I do not enjoy reading. Never read M&B, the closest book 2 a novel that av read is the Left Behind Series.
I so wanted styl-plus to win.
1st of all, u do mistake. Na secret seven, no be six.
I can totally relate with u on the whole family agreeing on medicine, just cos i loved to read. While growing up, i always had my nose in a book, hardly ever had time for tv or ten ten and all those other funny leg games.
My father would buy me one enid blyton evryday, cuz dats how fast i used to finish them.
When i ran out of my books, i would read anything avilable, i even found some M&B type books dat belonged to my dad and some ikebe super magazines dat belonged to my uncle.
I still love to read books now tho, my love 4 internet isn't that strong yet.
I'm working on my reading habit. Cos what you read, a lot of the time determines what you say or what fills your mind right?
Aww.. u remind me of me!! Lol
I lost my readin lovez to the internet too..
i mean i'll read wenever i wanted but i wudnt finish the book in my usual record time..
Recently tryin to get immersed in it again.. i hated buyin bookz too!! Lol.. xcpet the harry potter ones.. i hear they'll be pretty valuable in years to come!
You're wrong you know! The Internet's the eight wonder of the world and Google is the ninth. Lol.
Google 18th century Monarchs and start reading the links? That's spooky.
Anyway, there's an interesting debate on my blog and your contribution will be highly appreciated.
My sister from another momma! Reading will always be my first love, so much so that my son loves to read too. He loves the diary of Ann Frank (many people wonder at that). We actually bought two Harry Potter books because we both couldn't wait for the other to finish lol. I have a library now in my house that I wont trade for the world. I knew there was a reason why I loved you!! lol
Ok, about Wande Coal, is Ololufe the only song he sings?? I just discovered styl plus this morning and they are pretty cool.
Hey tomorrow visit http://blogvilleidol08.blogspot.com/
and vote for DAMMY!
I can totally relate! I was such a book worm growing up. I had a whole library and I read and read everything. It was such a great escape! I read everything from Financial Lit to the Chronicles of Narnia..then along came college, and facebook, and alot of ish! I still try to find time to read though! I love going to Barnes and Nobles and just reading a book. One book I have read this summer and thoroughly enjoyed is the ''Mrs Club''. It was fabulous! Im thinking of reading it again sef-and that rarely happens. Ekene Onu is the junk!
Im happy you have rediscovered your old love!!
Famous Five,Secret Seven,Enid Blyton.Nelkon AND Abbott.I'm guessing you were too young for the Pacesetters age.Lol.
I've lost better than 90% of the books I've bought,which is pretty fortunate as for a while in Uni I was buying close to four a a week.
Welcome back sister.We've missed you.
Yeah, same thing is happening to me…My cure came after I read half of a yellow sun, I decided to get her other book purple hibiscus then decided on the new James Patterson…so I am back to reading as well…the down side? I NO LONGER TAKE FIRST IN BLOGS!!! Shitty price to pay…
@ Ali and Simbi books.
chei..*reminiscing* e don teyyyyy,lol
i too love d internet, but books (novels) ll have a special place in my heart, lolll
BTW i dey vex ni,una dey do 'ojoro' for tubaba o, (lol)
Zephi
we're still waiting for you.
ms sula
you made a good point with the american literature books. the internet is the greatest distraction ever! at least for me
Oluwadee
you didnt read M&Bs? you're a first! when I first started reading them, i didnt even know what they were!.
If you wanted styl plus to win, you could have voted for them twice!
mizchif
its secret seven? I'll have to double check that. well, resist the devil i.e the internet!
isha
very true. when you say working on ur reading habit, do u mean the types of books u read or your frequency of reading?
mz dee
so true, i think i have slacked on my record time, cos i've been reading a book now for two days! I only bought one of the harry potter books, did you buy all?
kay-shawn
nah, you got it wrong, the internet is the ninth, while google is the eighth, check, you'll see.
I'll head to ur blog in a min!
abbie
make sure minime doesn't lose his love for reading! most children nowadays dont love reading, its actually rare to see one that does.
the Ololufe song is the only single by wande coal, i think. Mo hits/dbanj/don jazzy have refused to leave the boy alone.
he mostly sings on the "Mo hits all stars" album.
kin'shar
campaign? I'm voting for anyone who sings wande coal!
if dammy does, he automatically has my vote, even if he croaks!
NDQ
babe, you're living my life! you read Financial Lit? I read worse. I havent read the Mrs Club, but I plan on reading it soon, even if school starts!
nine
pacesetters? I'm not sure. my principle was: if i saw it, i read it. remember Malory towers?
you bought 4 books a week?
afrobabe
so that's why you dont come first on blogs anymore!
its a small price to pay for all the fun you're having right?
lg
those Mcmillian books don tey true true. do they still use them?
i didnt do any ojoro for tubaba!, lol! pple just refused to vote for him.
I get you on this one...I lurve reading...i was a book worm and still is to this day...childhood favs started with the usual. Sweet valley high, enid blyton, Famous five...then i progress to M&B. Now i read everything and anything under the sun...cept apart from Danielle Steele...i cannot read her books..too mushy!!
Hey, its the 'secret seven, not six', lol.
Love reading too, but uni took out most of my novel bug and trying to rediscover them again.
Yep, primary school was all about Enid Blyton (bless him/her) for me.
So many times i searched for the magic faraway tree and the wishing chair (nostalgia sets in).
Anyways hope u get ur internet back soon, it really is addictive.
Take good care docki
hahahahahahaha. i read, & read & read. i read everywhere & anywhere & i'd really do everything 2 make readers out of my kids. famous five! u won't believe it, but i ddnt read dat series. i watched it on TV, & lost every desire 2 read d book. daz moi. if i read a book, i can't watch d movie. & if i watch a movie, i won't read d book
I also dont read as much as i used to!
Read my first 600page book in primary 3!
In response to ur question love.. i only bought the last one! Lolz
A true blogger must love reading...how else would you write and go through blogs?
Lol at Secret seven, i love reading too, always have book in my bag, i buy loads too cos i like collecting, interestingly there's this bargain bookshop opposite my office, spend a coniderable time of my lunch hour there...
lol i remember all those books, then the eze series.
nothing bit my enid blyton books, i worshiped in her alter of books, and then mills and boons were discovered, i'd wrap them up with news papers or old calenders so no one guessed what i was reading....good old days.
i'm still a book junkie. no ones taking that away from me, not the internet, not boys, not ......
good luck and hope this love last.
wow!! i've never been that addicted but i do my fair share of reading.... and when i discuss novels, i must recommend to anyone - eleven minutes by paulo coelho.... if you get around to reading it, post a comment with your reveiw on it
I had the same addiction pattern like u once until I started working and it took a nose dive. These days, I'd rather just sleep.
Ok, I've seen naeto C's pic on yr previous post. What other education do I need? I'm waiting...
Oddly enough I know this feeling of the entire post all too well, and Wikipedia is the ish! LOL. I, for one, am glad you are back to your first love. There is so much more power in words than many people understand.
U DEY READ!...i dnt even knw wat2say again,used2think i read now i've met my superior...lol....morope iwe oni gba oko lowo e?...lol
i read, anythin and everythin, was an average student in sec school coz i spent time readin novels in q.c library than readn scul bks or doin assynments, read 1001 arabian nyts, so many nign novels and history, if popsi knew, he'ld hv withdrawn me oh...
you be real booker T washington..lol
You are an internet addict..I coulds told you that in my sleep..lol
I need to fall in love again to o..lol Pre a-levels I was such a bookworm but then all of sudden other things kept me occupied & the books were abandoned!
Books, books. Who can live without them? Most of today's youth, that's who! Ore will not read a book to save his life. Prefers surfing instead. I have to say I'm now an internet addict myself. It's much more addictive than books but books are much more interesting and enriching. I agree with u that a book nurtures in a way that the internet cannot.
good for u! readin is a favorite pastime of mine..i been readin so many danielle steels, nora roberts n jackie collins of late..skul is startin next week, i just started readin a novel, theres a new one waitin n i still wanna get one more..God help me!
you got me there sha, when i started reading the post, i forgot it was meant to be about falling in love...nice one, hope the romance doesnt end this time...so, whatever happened to the blog, if i remember well, you went private...also, i dont want any man, not even StylPlus or WandeCoal crooning my name, wetin do Christian Aguilera or Amerie (i'll just die)
You this girl, i knew the post wouldnt be anything as personal as its title! is it not you...mcheew
that said, paragraphs 1-6 just described my life! i could have written this, infact u stole my
"life"...lol
i couldnt transfer the love to physic textbooks though! no way, hated that subject. and Yes, my dad thot i'ld make a fine doctor while my mum thot i'd make a fine linguist, turns out my mum was right!
jarrai
i totally forgot about the Sweet Valley series before ur comment! I must've read a couple of danielle steele books but I'm not into those anymore
the genius within
alright, its the secret seven! and I think Enid Blyton is a she.
Florida
u need to read the famous five series! actually I prefer reading to watching the movies. I read LOTR trilogy!
princesa
primary 3! a girl after my own heart!
Mz dee
I didnt buy any, my boyfriend bought me one, and I borrowed the rest.
Enigma
I figured that out. I'm thinking of collecting the famous five series. u want to donate?
fantasy queen
hopefully this love lasts! yeah, we hope the boys dont take that away! how u doing cuz?
Enigma...again?
I'll look for the book...this feels like an assignment!
Ejra
school took out my addiction pattern too. anyways, now that u know the P, you prolly know the koko too. i'll see what else u need to know, lol!
QOMC
wikipedia is definitely more than the ish!, lol!
wellsbaba
lol, my sister still calls me omo la bi, iwe la ri I dont do it as much now though :(
rayo
my popsi knew, I guess since it never affected my schooling...visibly, he didnt mind. i cant count how many times I'd pick a good novel over my notes when i had exams around the corner!
Zephi
well, I guess I'm in internet rehab now! afi booker T!
Honeywell
ok, my own was not on that level. I dont even watch tv anymore. I'm glad I inspired you! I'm glad I inspired somebody...anybody, lol
minky
I just read some books from the shopaholic series, maybe they'll inspire u to fall in love again?
naijalines
yeah, the internet is much more addictive than reading. I dont think I would hve been that much of a bookworm if I had internet access when I was younger.
buttercup
hopefully u can get a couple of good books in before school starts love.
baroque
well, its about falling in love....with books, lol! hopefully the romance lasts long this time.I see someone is an Amerie fan.
smaragd
It is personal! lol! you are the one who stole my life!
I am calling you ole
cos u stole my life away
...totally felt you on this one...was such a reader...i'm going to get back to it too...
awww im so with you on this one..i used to read everything when i was yunger..famous five, enid blyton sturvs, achebe, nancy drew..everything sha..i miss it..nowadays im trying to learn to start cuddling with books again...
but facebook is the devil mehn.like seriously! lol
Post a Comment