twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Friday, July 10, 2009

This is what happens when you're...

16 and Pregnant

The things you do when boredom hooks you - I've been watching this program fr a couple of days. Thanks to Mtv, and I guess thanks are in order for them showing this side of the equation after showing the "super sweet 16" half of it. I guess everything is not so sweet when you're 16.

The most annoying episode is the one I'm currently watching. Dude, 18 knocks up his girlfriend. Both have a plan of enlisting in the airforce, but because she's pregnant, only one of them can enlist. They agree that he has to enlist, BUT he has to graduate first.
At some point in the show, babe works out a plan to graduate which involves her taking night classes, but her bf has to be home to watch the baby. However, dude doesnt come home from school on time and jeopardizes her plans. She doesnt get to graduate. He graduates - only after she babies him through.

I mean its bad enough being knocked up at 16, but
1. by someone who isnt mature and still acts like a kid - though they are both technically kids
2. Having to babysit him, i mean its bad enough having a baby on the way, but another grown baby?
3. Forfeiting your own dreams so that he can achieve his - and eventually be able to care for the family
4. His trifling ass refusing to grow up inspite of everything!

I guess the morale of the story is:
1. Do not have sex in high school

2. and if you do, dont do it with a fellow 17 year old child - ok, i kid, but seriously ALL the teenage fathers I've seen in all the episodes I've been watching act like little children, and its the females that have to grow up fast and become adults.

3. Or better still, strap on!

I guess in a way, kudos to MTv for this show because God knows that almost everything else in the media glamourizes teenage pregnancy. From Jamie Lynn Spears, Sarah Palin's daughter, to the movie: Juno. They make it look cool and okay when in reality, thats not the case.

Almost every one of them had to get a job and fend for themselves. The only couple that looked like they were from upper middle class families are not left without their troubles either. The girl manages to graduate, but she has to take care of the baby herself while her boyfriend hangs out with his friends.

The theme that keeps coming up over and over again is how the girl has to shelve school, take care of the baby, while the dude just hangs in there wondering how he came to be in this mess!
This show'll definitely be more effective as a reality check for younger girls than the best birds-and-the-bees lecture you could ever give!


ok, I'm off to catch more episodes of the show!

17 comments:

Original Mgbeke said...

Thanks for giving me an idea of something to watch, maybe I'll take a break from back to back episodes of Dexter and catch some of these ondemand.
Yeah men, I read something about before you sleep with someone, think about if you'd wanna have their baby in the first place, just in case anything happens. Aint that the word?
Make I go observe some episodes...

Oh and am I furrssst or what?

Miss Enigma said...

I think in general girls mature faster than guys do; and this is obviously the case with these teenage pregnancies.

The sad part is that inspite of all the stories that people see and hear, they still go on to have sex without protection. I mean the penis and the vajayjay are not running away; they'll still be there when u go to the store to get a condom n come back.

Yinkuslolo said...

yes oh, in that situation the girls are the ones that have to go grow up and forfeit opportunities. i fee OM on the potential-father thinking before doing a guy.

my koko is that, don't even have sex in high school. get that ur small phali first before tasting what u cannot handle well if it goes wrong

Jennifer A. said...

Right...definitely a reality check. But the truth about it is that it's hard for people to learn the true lesson...

Roc said...

Still I get the feeling watching "16 and pregnant" has gotta beat watching "Koko mansion"..

Then again.. Rather than swap places I'd probably jettison my TV..

Unknown said...

i hope it works
even though i don't think so
only the word of God works

peace

Sisem E. Naidem said...

You're just so right on this one, Bumight! Had two females who were close to me become teenage mothers and I know firsthand there's NOTHING glamorous about it especially as the daddies went AWOL in both cases. Those experiences were the clearest form of sex education I ever needed to have.
Kudos to MTV. The whole "Sweet 16" thing on TV used to get me sick before...

temmy tayo said...

A man in his30,s still wants to be a baby not to talk of a mere 18 year old. If only women can learn to set priorities right at an early age maybe we won't have to forfeit dreams, aspirations and all for a night stand.

Butthen I know a lot of people will say''it is not that easy''.

bumight said...

Orignial Mgbeke: yeah, but in retrospect, when you're 16, you think you're in love and all, and mostly not much thinking happens. I think its a nice show, even though sometimes i want to smack those kids across the head!


UnderCover07: yeah, those girls are FORCED to mature faster. it just sucks
lol @ the penis and vajayjay not running away!
obviously it seems like the abstinence message is not enough.

yinkuslolo: word!
i think a lot of the girls dont think about the fact that they are the ones that have to carry 90% of the burden.

jaycee: yeah, i hope shows like this at least get the message across.

RocNaija: yup! its definitely more interesting that koko mansion - ANYDAY!

Tisha: i know, sometimes teenagers need a reality check like this to know that they are not invincible.

Naughty eyes: Sweet 16 can be annoying, most times - make that 99% of the time!
i guess when u it happens to someone close to you, it jolts you more.

temmy tayo: tell me about it. i know its not that easy, but at least make an effort shey? if the condom broke or something, thats a diff story...

Fabulo-la said...

Def beats watching koko mansion, but mehnnnnnn that show kinda makes me a lil mad.

hmphhhhhhhhhhh

aloted said...

o ga o...me i always stick to abstain abstain abstain..would save a whole lot of wahala

how u dey??

Afrobabe said...

AS if this isn't bad enough, imagine a pregnant 16 yer old from a poor family in Nigeria...

Anonymous said...

HA....Little people will have sex. I say strap on PEOPLE! I mean what better way to have fun then SEXING ALL NITE LONG....hehehehehe. anyhooos, the society allow it to happen. Boys must be boys while little girls become overnite mothers and besides you have to grow up since the damn thing is growing inside of you. Lol anyhoos chicken, have a brilliant week.

doll (retired blogger) said...

thanks for sharing..i'l look out for the program

ibiluv said...

i say
if you are not yet 18
stay away from sex

koko mansion?wetin dem dey do dia?

Tigeress said...

moral of the story is- if u're not ready to have a baby- strap up!

clnmike said...

16 and pregnat is understanable, 25 and pregnant is another thing.

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com