Valentine's day: The day when millions of girls all around the world realize that they are just the sidechic.
Yeah, I’m one of those annoying chicks that always had a val- and when I say always, I mean ALWAYS. From the time I was 9. I was in boarding school then, and between my school mother, school sister, school shindodo (don’t ask me what that means), I was always covered. Then I got out of boarding school and had my first boyfriend, and valentine’s day took a special meaning, you know, it started involving species of the opposite sex (get your mind out of the gutter!). Three separate years, I broke up with my boyfriend before Valentine’s Day, but my exes (same dude, twice) still came through and made the day memorable for me.
I say all this because this year will be the first time I really and truly don’t have a val. And so what? U might ask. Knowing me, I would have gone into a pre-depressed mode. But for some reason, this year, I’m uncharacteristically (long word, ehn?) calm. I haven’t freaked out. I haven’t put up depressing status updates, my tweets are not soppy. Even I am worried about myself. I prepared myself to be sad this past Christmas, Last year when I knew my birthday was going to fall in my study block, I moaned about it for almost a month!
Even Vera’s valentine themed radio show was not enough to send me into pre-valentine depression.
I won’t lie and say there’s no biggie about Valentine’s day, neither would I deny the commercialization of the day. I know that love gestures don’t mean more because its valentine’s day, however, no matter how commercialized it has become, the day has been set aside to celebrate love which invariably makes it singles awareness day
Don’t get me wrong, I would like for someone to bring me flowers, share the day with or cuddle up and watch the All star game with. Yeah, this year, valentine's day falls on d day of the NBA all star game. I shall be rooting for the west side.
I am theorizing that the reason for my non-chalance is
1) Valentine’s day this year falls on a Sunday.You really dont want me to explain this, do you?
2) Its All Star weekend as well. Really, who can afford to be depressed with 10 delightfully gorgeous men running across a court? #kobeIsmyVal
3) I have an exam the very next day. I totally refuse to gloat on account of all the people who’s lovey-doveying will have to be cut short cos they have to go study.
PS: the jury is still up on whether my sentiments might change anytime from 12:00AM, but if I currently feel the way I feel, i doubt its gonna change.
PPS: dear secret admirer, do not let this post dissuade you from sending the flowers you already planned on sending.

21 comments:
sorry tinuo!
Happy vals day...lol. Sorry tinuo
Happy Vals day in advance too... Love is meant to be celebrated everyday regardless of being in a couple or not... so yah, i'm with u on the nonchalance... LOL.
hmmmmn lohi ur own first is couterfeit! and u too jaycee u join mouth to say sorry Tinu!tschewww
incase y'all didnt know third is the new first soooo
FIIIIIIIIRRRSSST!
@Tinuo: Lol! i tried for u o, but Ms O and jaycee saw the advanced warning i left for you on twitter! and yes o, third is the new first! :D
thanks Mwajim Al!
happy vals day my dear. Which one is Tinu? i dont get. asper Vals- its overrated jo! Well love is overrated. I've gone many years without vals gifts- no biggie. Asper what to do over the weekend- hang out with ur gf's.
I live in the east but I'm rooting for the west as well. You can be your own valentine this year haha
Happy Valentines day love! We will al be on twitter on Sunday.. keeping ourselves company.:)
In my case, vals day has always been the same year in year out......... Dadddy comes back from work with ferrero rocher and all sorts of chocolates, wine or champagne is already on ice, waiting....we toast, stuff our faces with chocolate and THAT IS IT! Kpere.
Happy Vals day in advance...I hope u keep up the "anti-depressed" attitude...I'm trying so far...don't know how "well" I'll on Sunday...lol, enjoy ur wkend hun!
Hey babe Ive missed uuuu
lol...happy val's day.ive never had a bf..daddy always comes through for me.
Valentine's day: The day when millions of girls all around the world realize that they are just the sidechic.
LMAO!
Happy Vals day and hope you get the flowers from SA!
Happy Val's day! No biggie jor. I am going out with my friends so we should have blast!
Have a good one..
It is just anoda day in the life of an Ibo princess (moi of course). If we see roses, good, if we dont, still okay. the sun still shines, the moon will appear tmrw.
I need a drink....
hey
hope the day ended super
its funny that u werent nostalgic or anything
i guess its a good thing
i feel u jare, i wasnt depressed, maybe cuz it was on a sunday and i had work sef....oh well, still had a first date...gist u later...love ya darling
LOL!!!
So how did your Vals day go????
Any secret admirer drop off flowers?
Oh well, so id the non- chalance hold through till Sun? I hope so cos i was without a val too but i had fun hanging out with a girlfriend without a val as well. Vals day is really about LOVE no matter with who!
p.S-How was the exam?
Post a Comment