I know its been a while since I last blogged, but at the rate things are going, blogging is one of the farthest things from my mind (sowee). Aside from the fact that this year, I never sat at my computer like before, I just had no motivation to blog, and twitter....(lets just leave it at that).
One thing that always scared me about junior year in med school was the fact that the school year runs for 12 calender months. So that means NO SUMMER BREAK! I used to think that would be hard, but I've done it, and I survived! I actually didnt even know when summer started and ended. My life was divided into rotations, so I didnt even realize that I didnt have a summer break.
For senior year, we dont get public holidays or snow breaks. While that seems harsh, Im one week into it and I realize that its not so hard either. I'm gonna go hard for 4 months and basically chill out the rest of the year (this should be fun!....except the little bugger known as the match)
I know I promised to give a breakdown about how the year went, and I have a feeling if I dont do it in this post, its never going to be done. so here goes
Pediatrics: My first ever rotation, and so I was still over-eager and green around the ear. This was where I made all the mistakes, learnt how to write notes, see patients, deal with crying kids. The most notable thing here was I became buddies with an attending that I was scared of, and she ended up writing me a recommendation letter.
Psychiatry: fondest memories. I used to be scared to enter the psych department at first (I still am) but then I found out it wasnt all bad. Had a couple of male patients hit on me, lol.
Most memorable patient was a guy who just got out of prison after 18 years and was admitted because he was going to commit suicide. I was talking to him on the first day and I said "...when there's life there's hope...", and he went "its easier for you to say that, you're young, pretty, gonna become a doctor, got ur whole life ahead of u...". I felt bad, but we later became friends, and he used to look forward to me coming to see him in the mornings.
Family Medicine: CHILLING! I had 3 day weekends throughout this month *sigh* good ol' days! This rotation made me feel like a real doctor, cos I saw patients, wrote prescriptions, did exams and all that.
Surgery: ...and it all went downhill from here - tired days, persistently sleepy, overnight calls. I thought I was interested in surgery. I loved to scrub in for cases (even though all i did was hold retractors, lol) and then I realized surgery wasnt suited for me...then I chilled out.
OB/GYN: almost as bad as surgery (long days, overnight calls, etc) but I LOVED IT! There was always something happening on call nights so it wasnt too tiring....then I saw my first delivery and I was g-r-o-s-s-e-d o-u-t! Scrubbed in on my first c-section, got to suture. Assisted in more deliveries that were not as gross.
Fondest memories (apart from suturing :) ) was a woman whom I was assisting in her delivery. She had opted for no epidural and was taking it like a G. Her husband was in the reclining chair (prolly on twitter or texting). I had to hold this woman's hand through each contractions (yes, they almost break your fingers) for almost 2 hours till it was time to gown up for the delivery. She was going to give me something after, maybe Mary kay cosmetics, but I conveniently disappeared.
Internal Medicine: I wont even lie, I was bored out of my mind. I dont even want to talk about it. Maybe because it was my last rotation, and I was already burnt out, but I wasnt excited about it at all.
o well, third year is over, and I survived! yippee!
PS: I'm thinking of going into blogging retirement. what y'all think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

19 comments:
.....at last !
Tell me it's not the thought of retiring that's kept you away for so long: nah, don't do it !
Wow!!!!!
That sounds like a LOT of work......
Thinking again, I wonder if I would have survived all this.
*enough respect though, and I'd say congratulations also! 1 more year down, 2 more to go (that's right abi?)
Pls o! don't shut down..........you can consult for some of us....hehehehe
please dont retire o..even if it once in a while u should still blog...i always look forward to ur posts cos i will soon be going to med skul (am in my final year college).The lord is ur strength
Wow, that was a long one....u survived and that's cos ur made of tough stuff :).
Kudos to u dear, hope senior year would be all that and more
Congrats on making it to 4th year!
Ur gonna be an amazing doctor, IJN!!!
:-( I beg don't retire oooooo!
Yeah u survived and u've still got more to conquer.. Seems like it was worth it though
Dont leave us just yet
Thanks for taking the time to do the rotation recap. I always feel like I'm living the doc dream through you.
congrats missy.
one day at a time and u'll wonder where the days went.
the lord"ll see you through.
x
NB
and dont be playing about stuff like that, retire what?
Awwww...she's in her 4th year. I'm just so mesmerized by that fact.
You've come a long way and I am super-thrilled for you...iIm so sure you're kidding about retiring...you never even start...lol
Congrats dear, and don't retire yet o, abeg...lol..
Wow suture, scrubbing up I can see you now like that lady in the ER drama.
Well done
Re what? No way don't retire o
Ah...Happy that you survived. May you survive all the other years.
er... this psychiatric patient that used to look forward to your visits...he's gone now, I suppose?
LOL.
PS: Please don't go into blogging retirement.
sounds interesting
You\re almost there baby doc...Lol.
Good thing you didn\t go to Nigerian medical school, as once you start the clinical phase no hols till you graduate.For at least three years.
True story.
And don\t retire.You\re fun to read:)
Nine
thanks everyone!
@nine: Look who the wind blew in! :)
we dont get hols in clinical phase here as well. third year is 12 calender months, and 4th year no hols as well till u graduate. the only difference is clinicals is 2 years here.
I love reading your med school post!! It just bring this feeling...dont know.. makes me want to reconsider my decision to go to PA school instead of going to medical school.
I have some questions..How do you feel about PAs in general? would you recommend someone to go into that field instead of medical school?
lol@blogging retirement, as in u go deycollect pension from blogger or??
:)
*thank God u r gud tho
Congrats on making it through Junior yr successfully...wish u the very best with senior year...
As for that husband in the reclining chair texting/twittering...hmmmm...na wah oh!
Post a Comment