twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Mummy, Hi

Kunle and I met in my first and his second year of college. He was the president of one of the campus organizations that came to welcome the freshmen. His organization was one of those helping the freshmen move in, and Kunle and his friends were the ones helping me move in.

During the move-in process, he found out that I was Nigerian and I guess that was how we became friends. In the several weeks that followed Kunle was on hand to help me with my course registration, procuring textbooks and even helping me shop for other items I needed for the school year.

At first, I thought he had ulterior motives, but he never made a pass at me- at least throughout that academic year. We had become fast friends, and I saw him at least five times a week in the school library.

In my sophomore year, I noticed that Kunle’s attitude towards me changed. He stopped calling me as much, and his library visits became few and far between. I knew he was a voiding me. I confronted him about this, and he later confessed that he had started developing feelings for me. He felt guilty because he felt it was inappropriate since I had taken him as an elder brother.
We started dating that year.

We were the ultimate campus couple. A lot of Nigerian girls on campus became cold towards me, but I brushed them off. Our love was perfect, nothing could go wrong. Even when Kunle graduated, we were still going on strong. He got a job with a top software company in a neighboring state, but he still visited me in school every week.

On my graduation day, Kunle proposed to me. I was ecstatic! I had been waiting for this day for a long time now. As a symbol of his undying love for me, Kunle gave me an eighteen carat yellow gold band with a huge centerpiece diamond.

As it was customary, Kunle took me to visit his parents a few weeks later. His parents lived in a different state, so we had to fly out to go see them.
His dad was a very pleasant man. As I had been taught, I knelt down to greet him, midway into the greeting, he came over and pulled me up “No, No, No, my child, get up, its ok” he gushed
He embraced me in a hug, and led the way in.

“Good afternoon ma” I greeted Kunle’s mom as we entered their living room
bawo ni, oko mi”1 she replied, not getting up from her chair.
Seeing Kunle’s mom, it was obvious she grew up in the lap of luxury. She was sprawled in a baby blue lace brocade gown. The gold earrings and accessories on her could easily add up to a few thousand dollars.

For the next twenty or so minutes, she grilled me about my parents, my upbringing, and even my extended family
ki lo ma je, my dear 2 she asked Kunle after she was done.
se ki won ba e ro amala3?” 4

With that she disappeared into the kitchen. I made as if to follow her, but she gently hushed me back telling me that a new soap was on tv and I should make myself comfortable.
In a couple of mins, she came back and announced, “Food is ready”.

We ate in the formal dinning room, and I made sure to compliment her cooking. After we were done eating, she came round to clear the table. I reached out to help her, but she hushed me aside, “you are our guest today, I don’t want you stressing yourself”, so I sat down and engaged Kunle’s dad in conversation.

We spent another thirty minutes talking with Kunle’s parents, before Kunle announced that we were taking our leave. We gave his parents hugs and left.

Two weeks later, Kunle called off the engagement.





1. How are you my dear?
2. What do you want to eat, my dear
3. Should they make amala for you?
4. amala – that black horrible food! I kid, yam flour made into thick brownish paste

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT MY LIFE'S STORY- IT IS THE RESULT OF TOO MUCH TIME WORKING A JOB I HATE DOING. Writing in first person just flows for me!

46 comments:

Allied said...

I make will make up my own adage

"aje ti o ke lanaa, lo pa omo to ku leni"

The witch was not found out yesterday, killed the child today

Ms Sula said...

Oh My! Don't tell me it's a true story.... That's so sad... Poor Baby, I hope you're better!

Funny enough, the Kunle of the story sounds very familiar...

Mother in laws, I tell ya...

Femi Adeyemi said...

wasn't expecting the final part..aww..

chin up though, God has a reason for everything..

tk cre..hw come no med sch gist sef?

bumight said...

@allied: well said

@ms sula: there are lots of kunles, this one resides in my mind- fictional story

@the genius within: get out of my head! med school gist coming soon!

Anonymous said...

After Naija Chickito's story I wasn't going to fall for this!

Very well written story though.

(I'm guessing that if I'm ever in this situation I will insist on helping, just in case, even though we all know if the mama has decided we will not do for her son, nothing will change her mind...except maybe him.)

Anonymous said...

haaa..u people should pleasestop playing with our hearts nau wetin? ahahn...oooooo...I cant believe I fell for this thing again!

*hisses*

*saunters away angrily*

InCogNaija said...

interesting story...i did the tag, hard as it was.

darkelcee said...

hmm

what is it with M-I-L s and their son's GF? i just cant fathom it.

Maybe when i become a mother i will see the reasons for their actions and/or inactions.

Nice weekend

Jay said...

What!!!! (shocked)

These grown men tied to their mothers apron strings...ha!

Nicely written.

Naapali said...

who said I did not wish you well for your birthday?

did u not see my wishes in your comments section?

Naapali said...

Anyway this young woman should thank Kunle for the favor of calling it off. No woman wants to marry a boy whose mother picks his mate.

Joy Akut said...

i rephase naapali's words, no lady wants to marry a boy whos mother is such a sparkling arsed bitch.
she should be glad he called it off, well thats after the heartbreak phase.

Lighty 'neferet' Kopearl said...

interesting. and am sure this happened to so many people. na wa sha, u fear mi small o.

Nine said...

You actually had me going for a moment there....Good thing you put up that disclaimer:)

Nice story by the way.

Tininu said...

go away!! this is your story...pele though!! i will marry you..i am looking for a wifey too!!!

with a bigger ring, obviously!!

please spread my condolences to the person in this story,

p.s. i am not whipped

badderchic said...

excuse me please, what happened exactly? you cannot and must not leave us like that

flabby said...

haha..if this happened to me i would actually just die!..wait..it did happen to me..but..i want about to get married!..so i guess its not as bad!

classybabe said...

Did she feel you didn't insist on helping enough?

Vera Ezimora said...

Nice story!! Make sure you continue it. I'd like 2 know wat went wrong.

bumight said...

@GNG: I wasn't trying to pull a chickito on you guys, yeah and you got the point. Maybe she should have insisted on helping, that way she would be sure its all the mama' fault.

@charizard: cool down for Jesus jare. I wasnt trying to deceive you...maybe i should try since u're so gullible :)

@Incog: I've already been there!

@darkelcee: so are you planning on becoming a mother soon? lol! I think mothers just want the best for their sons

@jarrai: you know men have a higher affinity towards their mothers?

@Naapali: I'm just being a lil jealous since u didnt mention me on the post *sulk*
I guess in a way Kunle did her a favor, but do not you think she had some fault to?

@fantasy Queen: wow! such harsh words...I know I don't want to have that type of mother in law...

@lghty: yup! its the true life story of so many people's lives!

@nine: yay! for the disclaimer...

@tininu: are you sure you can afford to marry me? cos I can't be drinking garri after u buy the ring!

anyways, its a fictional story

PS: you are SERIOUSLY pussy whipped!

@badderchic: I guess Kunle's mom was one of those traditional moms that check your every move to see if you have "home training", and seriously its not cool to be watching tv while your future MIL is cooking the food that u would eat, and then cleaning up after u.

@flabby: so are u going to blog about...pretty please?

@classybabe: exactly!

@vera: well, I have a history of not finishing up stories ( i get bored after lyk the 8th part/i get emotionally involved with my characters, believe me its crazy)...I still get threat messages about couple of stories on fb, i guess we should leave this open?

Ms.O said...

awww...very eloquent and articulate writings. Continue plzzz!!!

anonymous gal(retired blogger) said...

abi o good gal afta wat chicito did i was not about to fall. but its a nice story.
who am i kiddin i fell 4 it.

Smaragd said...

good story telling mate!

i guess we cant please everyone, who knows, if she had insisted on helping out, the woman mighta considered her a forceful person!

now tell us a true story jo! i'm yet to read anything about u and boo, if not for the bday post, wldna even have known u had one!

oya, fess up babe! *taurean wink*

bumight said...

@ms O: I wasn't supposed to coninue this.

@honywell: mean ke? even with the disclaimer?

@anon gal: thanks. chickito is on another level o. u still fell for it?

@smaragd: that is the life of females. If she had insisted, she might have gained oints in the mother's ooks. This does not mean they wouldnt have broken up but she would have appeared as a "good girl" not a spoilt child. or what do u think?

LG said...

Well written
babes, dont try it again o,i fell for it Gbosaaaaa.., lol!!
but i pity for the chick sha weda real or not? lol!!!,

how body?

Nigerian Drama Queen said...

Wow, I totally did not expect that last line (2weeks later, Kunle called off the engagement)! That was pretty darn good

Carlang said...

I've always suspected that all bloggers are secretly good writers.

I am glad to see that ,thus far, i am correct.

Lovely story dear.
Nice build. Lovely word construct. Lovely ending.

p.s Kunle's an Ass.

Now that your secret is out i expect more...

O'Dee said...

10k God its not ur life story.

Wetin do kunle????????

Toochi said...

how can u not like amala? :)

guerreiranigeriana said...

hmmmnnn...i think i agree with naapali...twas a favor kunle called it off...and as for the insisting part, if they don't like you, they don't like you...that's how i am with any broad who thinks she like my bros...sorry...if i don't like you, nothing will do...

...nicely written bumster...can i call you bumster every now and again?...

flawsandall said...

kai, at least am glad at the ending you said it was fiction unlike some people who keep me guessing

that was a great write up my dear..cant wait for the next installment.

bum bum, I have a very serious question to ask you, and pls say the truth..cool?
ok so how is it that you are first to comment on almost everyones blog including my blog..do yo get some kind of alert? i am begining to think juju works on the internet too..pls clarify or else i'll make my own assumptions and start spreading rumors..lol

flawsandall said...

arrggh and i just went to honeywells blog and you were first..im about to start a movement..operation-bumbum-shant be first..lol

Anonymous said...

come bumight update na...wetin?

buttercup is back in town o...

Aphrodite said...

I dont know but this sounds like the perfect lunch with the in-laws. Why did kunle call off the wedding?

Naija Chickito said...

Yeah, read the disclaimer part first, so I was able to enjoy the story with my heart intact. (i.e, outa my mouth!)

Very nicely written. How are you?

Smaragd said...

any gist about boyfee dearie? come on, i know u can be secretive but hey, i'm batting my lashes here...lol

and med school too. am hoping u'll be my personal doc alongside Dr. Naps when u grad.

Afrobabe said...

it better not be ur story.....

Zayzee said...

even before i got to the end, i knew it wasn't ur story.

haha

how u dey?

bumight said...

@lg: you people are so gullible shey? even with a disclaimer?

@NDQ: thanks *blush*

@carlang: you flatter me too much, lol! as for expecting more, just dont hold ur breath for it, cos apparently im a lil bit scatterbrained!

@oluwadee: I no know o! i think I'll ask him and get back to you on that one...

@toochi: i think i wrote a post on not liking amala. and some other foods. I'm managing sha( maybe like once a year)

@gnaija: sure u can call me bumster, I'll add it to my list of favorite nicknames, right next to bumtight(naapali) and blackjanebond(blackjamesbond) I think my list of blogville nicknames is growing by the minute!


@zephi: so u want me to reveal my secret ehn? dont worry, I'll take u to the baba that did it...lol! I don't kiss and tell o!

@charizard: I'm off to look for buttercup. I have an update, just need to edit before I put it up! *shh its a secret*

@aphrodite: did you just say perfect lunch with the inlaws? assignment: find 3 things the babe did wrong. submit it to me tomorrow morning!

@naijachikito: of course u read the disclaimer first, shebi its u? I'm fine jare!

@smaragd: the boyfriend is fine...cant promise no boyfie gist :( but there's med school gist! :)

@afrobabe: better not!

@uzezi: I'm cool babes. have u updated yet?

Anonymous said...

wow

Buttercup said...

oh my word! u got me there! i was almost sheddin tears till i saw the disclaimer! nice post!!

Lady said...

oh my gosh!!!!! i love your blog!!!!!! hmmm..is med school really as hard as they say??? cos right now am studying medical microbiology..but realized i cant spend my life researching in a lab...so am applying for med scool...pls just give it to me...bitter truth...is it really THAT HARD!!!!!!!!!!....maybe i shud just stick to being a research scientist oo...
p.s:- did i say i love your blog...and dnt get me started on that mummy's boy..hehe

bumight said...

@ms cocoa brown: thanks. med school is only hard in the fact that its a whole lot of material to learn in a short amount of time. it justs takes a lot of discipline. sometimes i miss doing research. i LOVED my lab, but i love medicine later. before you switch just make sure its something you REALLY want to do cos u'll find urself asking the question "why am i really doing this" quite often. goodluck!

Lady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lady said...

thanks gurrl..am not actually gonna switch in btw..am gonna finish up here then start..at least i'll always have my scientist title...ms.cocoa must get that Dr. in front of her name..by fire..by force..heheh...ahh things we do in the name of dreams..sigh...
i was so caugt up in myself i forgot so say...
"congratulations..and hers's to 3 more years beybey!!!" clink clink.
depressingly some of us have 6 more yrs in total to go.(i'll drink to this too)

Anonymous said...

I was feeling so bad for you till I found out this is fiction. Wow - Lol - Deep though xoxo

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com