twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

School is in session


It seems like yesterday when I was in my classroom, Egypt, for the first time to attend orientation. I don’t know how time passed, but its been 10 months, and first year is gone.

When I started, a lot of people came to tell us how hard it was going to be, over and over again, we got this message of doom even before we started.

They didn’t lie. It was hard. I didn’t think of quitting (naija peeps don’t quit school, we grind it out), but I definitely remember asking myself if I wanted to go through this for another three years.

Every other week, I was bombarded with exams. The whole of my first semester was a blur, because I still don’t remember what happened outside of med school for those 5 months.

I thought I was smart, brilliant, intelligent, name it, and I would breeze by like I did in undergrad *insert chuckle*, however medical school was a different kettle of fish entirely.

Lesson 1: Med school is not about how intelligent you are
I learnt that after my first exam. Those exams test more than knowledge. I passed my first exam, but I know I could have done more. My “intelligence” and “brilliance” got me through part of the way, but it wasn’t enough.

Lesson 2: Its not about how hard you study, its about how smart you study
My, did I study hard during those first weeks/months? I had to learn how to study smart. There were people who spent hours studying and making good quality notes, then there were the people who spent half the time studying those notes. The latter group often did better than the former group. Needless to say, I jumped ship after my eyes were opened.

Lesson 3: have the right connections
I learnt this when Neuroanatomy hit! I was never a study group person, they were a perfect waste of my precious time- or so I thought. However, my study group became crucial to my success in various courses. I learnt Respiratory Physiology through them, wouldn’t have gotten past cardio without them. They were a lifesaver

Lesson 4: Questions!, Questions!!, Questions!!!
This was the pirates treasure, the pot of gold, the… ok, you get the point now. I learnt so much while doing questions with the study group of course, and when all else failed, I have been rewarded quite generously for looking through past exams that had repeated questions. I try to devote the entire day before the exam to doing questions- try is the keyword here

I learnt a lot during those ten months, not only about medical stuff, but about myself, people and life in general. for example:
1. I can survive on three hours of sleep, but six will do just fine.
2. Coffee is good, but Vitamin Energy has more caffeine.
3. medical related jokes are not funny outside the med school building - ok, maybe the hospital too.
4. Wikipedia is an official medical school textbook.
I especially learnt to stop and smell the roses. Take a few hours from studying and go see a movie. Sleeping in church while reading BRS physiology was definitely not the way forward.
I almost broke down trying to do it by myself. At some point (during neuro) I thought I had a sleeping disorder- I prolly did. My friends were quick to comment whenever they saw me awake in class. I knew I had reached breaking point when I was almost dozing off in the lab (even though I was on my feet, and it was interactive) and I had to fight to stay awake while driving back home in the afternoon!

I decided to let God take control, and I must say that was the best decision I ever made. Blogging was my release( for those who wondered how I still had time to blog) and having the bestest most understanding boo in the world was the icing on the cake!

I will remember the nights I almost gave up, and I will not forget the friends that pulled me through.

I will remember the times when I thought I was doomed to fail, but I will be forever grateful for those random AIM bundles of Joy that contained high yield-need-to-know-for-the-test information that got me through

I wil remember the times I spent slugging it out on my own, but my study buddies will always be close to my heart.

I definitely will not forget blogging during exam week- most of my poss were written during very stressful times. I discovered tinuke, carlang, overwhelmed and a few others while studying in the library

As I make my way into the second year class- the Canaan- I won't forgetg the process of getting there. one down, three more to go!

53 comments:

Anu boy said...

i am happy for you madam, nothing do u at all....

Afrobabe said...

Congrats babe..yes, you are a Nigerian and we grind it out..
People ask me where I find the time to blog as well…but honestly it’s a release from when you need your brain to stop thinking, which is why I avoid serious posts…I read enough of those at work..
Here is to 3 more years of blogging, working, schooling and succeeding….

Anonymous said...

thank God u finally update oh...

yea...thank God, u made it am proud and am glad that I am acquainted with you...as for the tips thanx for the heads up...

Flourishing Florida said...

u r doing very well indeed, dear. 2 b able 2 do these & still blog. superwoman!!!!

Buttercup said...

congratulations o! all the best wit the remainin years...interestin choice of names for ur classes!

bumight said...

@anu boy: thanks my dear

@afrobabe: cheers! but seriously i miss reading your serious posts...i remember the one about ade and how he wanted you to go grocery shopping with $20! lol!

@charizard: awwww, u welcome! the pleasure is mine

@florida: i no be superwoman o, I'm a blackjanebond, what do u expect? lol! i dont see blogging as a chore that's why i can still do it.

@burracup: thanks! it really feels like the journey from Egypt to Canaan.

princesa said...

Madam stalker,lol!
Multitasking is not a talent every posses. You are unique babes.

Ms Sula said...

Good Luck on the remaining 3 years...

Don't you love this journey of self-discovery?

And thank God for your support system!

We'll still be here when you graduate!

Congrats on making it out of Egypt... The promised land is closer.

Orientatednaijababe said...

Well done!! I am pleased dat u saw it through whilst learning key facts bout med-school.

In UK, first yr is also the hardest as they try to sieve out those that cannot withstand d pressure b4 they go far and waste everyone's time.

I wish u all the best in ur remaining 3 years...God is with you, and he will not leave u now.

Off to study, "finals" starts tomorrow.

Nigerian Drama Queen said...

OMG Your crazzzyyyyy! How did u see that post? It was up there for like 2minutes maybe! I put it up and realized i prolly wrote a lot of jargon considering how late it was. Uv become like one of my fav. people on blogsville for real! Im gonna put it back up tonight! Let me go read now...

Nigerian Drama Queen said...

Congratulations Miss Soon to be Doctor! You better do it!!!
Alot of stuff you wrote was right on point! Im taking the LSATs this year, so im sure I will need to come back and read this post in a few months!
PS: When do I get to be th first commenter on your blog?!!!

TMinx said...

Goodluck! I know its not easy.

TMinx said...

Goodluck! I know its not easy.

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

Congratulations, my sista. God will keep you going. We need more docs like you, sha.


BTW, Happy Nigerian Proclamation Day to you! Not sure what that is? Visit NIGERIAN CURIOSITY to find out.

bumight said...

@prisca: stalking is not an easy job o!

@ms sula: thanks, the self discovery is quite enlightening i must say.

@ONB: I'm trying to be like you! Good luck on your exams doctor!

@NDQ: its skills baby! i dont think it was jargon, i thot it was a spoiler at first sha. when u up your stalking skills, u just might be first, lol! Good luck on the LSATs and make sure you destroy it!

@taurean minx: thanks a lot! yeah, its like playin bball in your yard to going to the NBA!

@Solomonsydelle: thanks, I'm going to check the nigerian curiosity blog now.

Tinu said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh wikipedia is my official law book too!!!

eya what we would do as students ey!!!

lmao at medical jokes!!!

rethots said...

...the journey of a thousand miles sure starts with the first step. Sail on with much hope......

Aphrodite said...

All the best dearie.

bumight said...

@tintin: wikipedia is the truth! I cannot even start talking about it.

@rethots: true talk!

@aphrodite: thanks!

The Activist said...

Congrats, I must say, you have got the perfect mentality for success. Dont overdo the coffee in take pls

bumight said...

@standtall: aww, thanks! if u read my blog u'll see that I CANT stand coffee. see:


because carlang said so

The Activist said...

I actually read it o. I must have mistaken a line where you said u took coffee or something. You r the best

The Activist said...

Ok now I got it "coffee is good, but Vitamin Energy has more caffeine". So, what's up. DOnt tell me you r taking Vitamin Energy too

By the way, why havent u visited my blog?

eFJay said...

I love ur blog... i wish i could read all your posts now but i have revision to get back to. I love the ones i have read tho.

I think you are a very brave woman. I must congratulate you. Med school is quite something but at least medicine is interesting. At some point i dreamt about being a neurosurgen(when i realised it will take 1/3 or more of my lifetime, i chickened out!) LOL

Goodluck with the rest of med school o! The Lord is your strength.

'ef babe'

NaijaScorpio said...

Congrats girl! you can do it and thanks for the tips.

flawsandall said...

i was confused with the "egypt" part..i was thinking does she go to school in egypt..then when i saw canaan at the end i got the gist...

wow go on with your bad self..med school is no joke..you will indeed eat the fruits in the promise land..amen

Ms.O said...

awww..Goodluck with the rest. am sure ur gonna be good!!!

ozaveshe said...

u're using really high sounding words. all this neuro something, physio something. didnt know the study of body parts had such difficult sounding names. personally, after biology, the only other scientific name that i knw to describe body parts is bootylicious

Anonymous said...

i only came here because i missed some bumight humour...and your sooo right about the study roup but this oyinbo people in jand they are very conniving.

but i still dont knw how you do the blogging and revision thing...for me before i blog it is a whole process, i have to relax, go back into my memory and pull out what ever i want to blog about, write it in my own language then translate it to english, after doing that i start reading everyone's blog, which means i never go back to revising....how do you do it...oooooo wise one!

Smaragd said...

I've given up! i'm never going to be first here...lol

Congrats Bumight, I am personally proud of u and cant wait for u to become a doctor so that i can consult u along with doctor Naps.

Here's to three years that'll be a breeze! so long as u dont quit blogging dear...*wink*

ablackjamesbond said...

Congrats dear! Oju lo pe si, akololo nbo wa pe baba'


Am sure u will make a great doctor...any medical student who finds time to blog on a regular basis will make a fantastic doctor.

Jennifer A. said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwww...CONGRATULATIONSSS....

Naapali said...

Glad to note that nothing has changed re medschool, except in my day wiki wiki was solely Hawaiian for quick-quick.

Well done. I would like to say it gets easier from here, but the truth is it doesn't. However, you will do just fine, after all, you are Naija!

desperate lady said...

awwww congrats hun.....i'm happy 4 u.
how've u been?

badderchic said...

Whats that?

Its a bird

No Its a plane

No its Bumight the SUPERWOMAN!

Nigerian Drama Queen said...

Bumight mind yourself oh! U 'chanced' me on overwhelmed's blog and u chanced me on Zephi's blog! Ah ah!
LOL. How u deyyyyy

bumight said...

@standtall: I'm not "taking" vitamin energy like that, that was in response to a lot of people who were "concerned" that i dont like coffee. dont worry, im not addicted...yet!

@efjay: at ur leisure babe, u can come back and read, I dont charge. thanks for the words of encouragement

@sting: thanks. how far? we're waiting for you to come and take over!

@zephi: I have to Lol at ur confusion! it really is no joke!

@ms o: thanks babe!

@ozaveshe: bootylicious ehn? how come I'mn not surprised? at least u know one... lol!

@tininu: how do i know that this is not an impostor ehn? what language is this your language? your blogging process, e get as e be. I usually feel like blogging when i have major exams and i hardly revise...

@smaragd: u just have to try harder, lol! and yes, u've been first before! thanks my dear and im not quitting blogging anytime soon!

@007: thanks, this akololo wants to pe baba real soon!

@jaycee: thanks!

@Dr. Naaps: (i like that name)i wnt to be like you when i grow up!when i was in js1 they said it would be easy once i get into ss1, same thing:"just wait until ss3, it would be a breeze", it was a hurricane. they said college....
you get the drift, i dont believe them anymore!

@DL: thanks. I've been good. where have u been hiding?

@badderchic: superwoman ke? i wish!

@NDQ: lol! dont hate!

Jennifer A. said...

Lollll @ ur response to Naapali...hilarious!!!

Vera Ezimora said...

Congrats on making it thus far, girl!!

Thirty + said...

Congrats o, I hope you cope better with canaan.

bumight said...

@jaycee: its true o! i bet they told u the same thing? I've stopped believing them jare

@vera: thanks babe!

@30+: hopefully, canaan is supposed to be flowing with milk and honey right?

princesa said...

We need an update sharpish girl!

dat 1 okrika babe said...

Congratulation!! All the best.
And right on about Wikipedia,best online textbook .

Afrobabe said...

lmao...the goat actually called me on new years day to ask for a new beginning....sheep that he is...

O'Dee said...

Congrats girl!

"I decided to let God take control, and I must say that was the best decision I ever made."
It always is.

Your boo is a darling.

SMSL said...

Wow, i don't even know wat to say. the idea of studying really freaks me out so i have nuttin but respect for you.

bumight said...

@prisca: i caught the writer's block bug jare- or is it plain laziness?

@dat one okrika girl:yes o, wikipedia is the truth! just dont cite it, lol!

@Afrobabe: lol, new beginings, so is he a goat or a shee? make up ur mind, lol! maybe he wanted to start afresh? u should have given him a chance?

@oluwadee: thanks! yes he is!

@pink lips: and studying is not that bad sha

Anonymous said...

Congratulations for completing year one, bumight! Your post is so inspiring and very "tell it like it is": it wasn't easy but you triumphed and will continue to.

Learning when to ask for help is crucial and that's something I'm still learning.

I hope you're enjoying a much needed break right now...

Unknown said...

This is so revealing!
Sometimes, reflecting on the past gives us more courage to face the challenges of today. Realising that we were able to conquer our fear of yesterday would only spur us to overcome the giants of today and subdue the mountain of tomorrow.
Just keep your head up!

Nice blog

Sherri said...

atta girl!
congrats o

it's a good thing u dont like coffee now, cos u 'might need it for ur residency years, as a sleep aid!lol

u 'll do just fine!

Nine said...

I could have warned you about the medical jokes thing.Lol.

The exams never get easier.I've met excellent residents who muffed their boards MULTIPLE times.Networking:essential.And study groups:ESSENTIAL.Picking other people's brains FTW.Never did the coffee thing though.Coke was my thing:).

PS 2nd year?NOT Canaan.Pace yourself;burnout's really not pretty.

Femi Adeyemi said...

God will see you through to a successful conclusion of your studies amen..tk cre docki

mizchif said...

As a fellow med student, i can totally relate. Rite now, i don't know what my neuro prof is talking abt and my path textbook is so scary dat i rarely open it.

Well, as we don start already, we gats finish.

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com