twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Friday, September 26, 2008

I'm so mad right now....



Today I decided to cook moi-moi. I haven't made it in months, and so I was craving it.
I went to the grocery store yesterday, and bought all my ingredients, I even soaked the beans overnight.
This morning, I woke up and before i ate breakfast, I peeled the beans, and soaked it while I went to study.
If you know anything about cooking, you'll know that moi-moi takes a lot of time. almost 3 hours to make.

I did everything I usually do, infact it was an elemi-meje (7 lives), meaning 7 different kinds of condiments inside. I had crayfish, egg, cornbeef inside!

however I decided to try something different.

Instead of using my foil wraps, I decided to use paper cups like I saw someone do at a party I went for recently.

my mistake!

My two big pots of moi-moi, 16 wraps, all gone!

the cups split down the middle. wait for it- just at the time it was getting done!

I'm so freaking M-A-D!

16 wraps, 2 hours worth of work, down the drain.

I had planned to watch the presidential debate while sipping on garri with moi-moi on the side. I'm still going to go on as planned the new set should be ready in time.

Luckily, I didnt use all the beans I blended, so I was able to make some more with my good old dependable foil paper. I'm definitely not giving anybody out of this one!

26 comments:

mizchif said...

Ah, can i really be 1st, or am i dreaming?

Yes o, i fully feel ur pain & support ur "stinginess" @ this time.

You deserve to enjoy ur hard labour sololy!

Ehen, aunty today is friday o, SIADH b4 i go and embarass my lifestyle on monday!

Unknown said...

Mizchif beat me to firrssstt.

I no support your stinginess jo. More fun in sharing, especially after all that wahala. Can almost the moi moi elemi meje from here. Or is that yorkshire pudding? No relation - My tastebuds must be confused!

Anonymous said...

hmmm, well I am a great cook where I dont use a recipe, so next time use the instructions correctly.....no shortcuts ife o

NaijaScorpio said...

LOL@ not giving anybody for this one. Pele o!

ChiefO said...

ok Bumight, did u load it up with a ton of water from the start? cos if u did then thats where the paper malfunctioned. next time (dats if u get over this lil miscue) add water little at a time. the worse that could happen is the ones on the bottom would get mushed, the steam would cook the ones on top. or better still put some newspaper on the bottom b4 u put ur moi-moi cups in that way they have lil or no contact with the water. call me a CHEF when u try it and it works.

bumight said...

@mizchif:
you're truly first.
I already sent u an email, I'm sure you've gotten it by now.
I dont know if i can be truly stingy :( I so wish i could!

@naijalines:
especially after all that wahala, I'm willingly giving the only person who helped me: boyfie. after that, nobody! all my random sweethearts have to wait for another one!

@kin'shar:
I don't use a recipe, I just tried something different. If the paper cups had worked, it would have made my future moi-moi making experience heavenly.
If somebody had not tried foil wraps we would still believe that only leaves or tin cups can work :)

@sting:
lol? this is a very serious issue o! very very serious!

@chiefo:
catering practical! I added all the water i usually add, which is about a cup of water, from the start. Also, I had only one layer.
are you saying you've tried it before and it worked for you?
I later tried puting foil paper at the bottom, but it still didnt work. maybe someday I'll try your method and get back to you.

Anonymous said...

I really want moin moin now that you brought it up. I havent had it in years.
Why dont you be a good blog sister and send me a cyber moin moin na? what do u say???

miz-cynic said...

Me in naija sef neva atempt d stress of moinmoin in a long while,u brave o.n on top u stl no give up,u cookd anoda.u b die hard o with a vengeance sef cos u decide not 2 give anybody.

Abujamaiden said...

I' sorry about you moi moi fiasco. Been there done that but with cake though. Just sunk in the middle, hour of labour!!!!

Invisible said...

Lmao. I know I'm not supposed to laugh but ......

Hope the new ones were ready in time for the debate. I missed the thing sef. Thank God for DVRs.

Rita said...

Eh ya..sorry oh...after so much time and energy put into it...

I just have this knowing smile on my face as I think of all you went through...

Well, thank God u save some of the beans...moi-moi and gari it must be...

Hope u enjoyed ur meal...

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

oh my goodness!! I am soooo sorry. E pele, sho gbo? Ma binu!

Some blogger had a great way of making moin moin in a pyrex pan that just makes so much sense. Let me go find her blog. I used to read it all the time and the stopped but saw her post recently. Kai, wetin be that girl name?????


NIGERIAN CURIOSITY
IT WAS SO MUCH EASIER WHEN I ONLY HAD ONE

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

mo sorry gan gan. I don search finish and can't find my way back to her blog. But consider putting your moin moin mix into a pyrex pan and baking it. I know seems strange, but the girl had a step by step tutorial with pics and just thinking about it now is making me hungry. =)

NIGERIAN CURIOSITY
IT WAS SO MUCH EASIER WHEN I ONLY HAD ONE

Rayo said...

na my head catch u, next tym u no go eye another person man. nonsense. when u cook d next one abeg i go chop oh. pele

Joy Akut said...

my stomach just growled. cant remember when i last had moi moi.....
cant imagine it was a good idea to eat your food while watching the debate...the scowl on maccains face would've been enough to make you push your food aside. lol

Toluwa said...

awwww...pele! but u just made me want moi moi...

Buttercup said...

Ahnahn chiefo, how can u knw so much? Lol..

Aww sweetie, pele! It cudnt have been funny...at least u had back up...

Dang, i miss moimoi...nthn beats moimoi n garri!!!

bumight said...

@temite:
if its cyber moi-moi, that one's easy.
here, have ur e-moimoi!

@miz-cynic:
I would have given up my sister if I didnt have extra blended beans and pepper. die-hard for life!

@Abujamaiden:
I can imagine if it was cake, I would have been so pissed off! I dont even know which one is worse, but I dont want to have any of the experiences again! lol. so did u bake another one?

@invisible:
I am not speaking to you again! you're not supposed to laugh!

of course they were ready long before the debate!

@Rita:
you can just imagine! I didnt even intentionally save the beans, but thank God it remained sha.

at the end though, it was all worth it!

@solomonsydelle:
pyrex pan? maybe if u find the procedure for me, cos I'm not relishing the thought of another experiment!
wait, did you say baking it? bake as in oven? I dont know about that one o!

@rayo:
see, I knew it was bad-belle! i should have put two and two together.
see this husband-snatcher accusing me of eyeing my man! lol! we have to settle this thing by force! lol

@fantasy queen;
oh, I ate my food o. thankfully the debate started with the economy and my man got that on point!
ironically mccain wasnt scowling he seemed to be putting Obama on the defense and enjoying it too!

@just-toluwa:
a pan of moi-moi coming to New york asap!

@buttercup:
beats me o, I didnt know chiefo was a chefo!
thank God for back-up!

bArOquE said...

ow, if i tell you this failed moi-moi story did not just vex me now eh, na lie i dey talk...thank GOD you had some left to make the way you know how...poor baby

Naapali said...

Pele

Anonymous said...

kai! I'm so sorry your moi moi messed up after all that work you put into it. You know they have the peeled beans or the powdered beans now. I know it doesn't exactly taste the same but with a fe embelishments it can taste real good.
So using cups, is that new?

ChiefO said...

buttercup. u wonder how i know so much. hmmmmmm no be only women sabi cook now.

Buttercup said...

@ bumight..LOL @ chefo..

@chiefo..i know now..it was just a lil shockin..lol..i guess its cos i havent really been around dudes that can cook

Anonymous said...

I hope you enjoyed round two of the moin moin! How aggravating it is that the cups split. I'd definitely stick to foil too...or maybe they have some heavy duty cups out there...

aloted said...

ah sorry o! kai! i can imagine how u must have felt

meanwhile they sell peeled beans these days...all u have to do is soak for like 1 hour, wash and grind with your ingredients..u dont have to do all the peeling and stuff. Papapa it is ready.

also me i use nylon (razz abi) to make my moimoi..i once used takeaway packs but the presentation didnt come out well.. hmm i think i shld tell my mum to send me some moimoi agolos (tins) from Naija.

With all this talk about moi-moi, looks like we are eating moi-moi tonight...with garri...yummy...hehe
Note to get it out of the freezer!

seye said...

this is where i get to comment after reading all your posts! Oh gosh!!! Moi-Moin. I always disliked that food!

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com