twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Sunday, October 5, 2008

I lost my job because of facebook

I hate to sound like some old mama, but I remember the facebook of old.
It was just for college students in America who wanted a place to communicate outside of class. It was a rare privilege if your school was on, and you had to sign on with ur school email address.
Facebook then was used to communicate about assignments, tests, get textbooks, and of course social events happening on campus.

Very soon, a lot of colleges joined and facebook was extended to jand. You can imagine the beef that followed between jand students and yankee students.

Then facebook became open to high school students. I seriously think this was the beginning of the end for facebook. All the kids that had colonized myspace (which I refused to join) began an en-masse exodus onto facebook.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when facebook became open to the public. You didn't even need a school id to log on. Every and anybody could log on. This was a plus and a minus. Our long lost friends in naija and all over could log on, then again so could our enemies and those that had no business being on there.

Facebook that used to be the students' getaway- the ideal escape- became what u needed to escape from. First, our teachers started having facebook accounts. There was no escape from the authorities again.

A lot of employers now admit that they check prospective employees' facebook accounts before hiring them. That means that all your prospective employers might have seen your drunken party pictures, and some might just have denied you employment because of it.

As if medical school is not competitive enough, admission committees now admit that they also check facebook and almost 30% of them admit that facebook profiles and pictures have some weight in their admission decisions. (sting, NDQ and co, hope you've cleaned up your fb lives?)

I have heard about a girl who got suspended from the choir because somebody showed her pastor a picture of her at a club in some not-so-flattering outfits.

I personally know about a couple of my friends whose parents are on facebook! ewwwwwww!

Truth is, since facebook was sold, it has just become another marketing ploy and that haven of escape it was has been "discovered" by the other side.
Also, I've always wondered why bloggers are on facebook as their blog identities. does it make sense? can somebody help me out?

When facebook was sold, I posted something on my then blog. It was hilarious at first, but now there is a great chance that it could be true:

7 Reasons Why The Facebook is a Government Tracking Site:

1. The Facebook asks for every bit of your personal information including your phone number, spring break plans, and summer activities, so they can locate you for questioning if you've done some dirt.

2. The Facebook has stepped their game up, and have begun to inquire about your facebook friends, they want to know how you've met them and when. And If you say you don't know them, they ask you to "remove" them from your friends list.

3. The Facebook wants to know what your favorite books and quotes are, just to check and see if you are being influenced by "radicals" or "terrorists".

4. You can now upload unlimited "MUG SHOTS", oops, I meant to say pictures, so that the government knows every single physical description of you.

5. The Facebook has even created a "social timeline" of your activities for evidence in court, now that's gangsta.

6. The Facebook logs all of the groups you participate in, be careful, you may be mingling with "radicals" or "terrorists".

7. The "CIA", oops, I meant to say the Facebook staff, has logged every single message you've ever sent. Just be happy it's not connected to the show "CHEATERS".

So after reviewing the evidence, why should we continue to interact with this website... BECAUSE WE ARE TOO NOSEY NOT TO.

If you have any more convincing evidence, feel free to add on...

PS: This is not to villify Facebook, instead it is to put the word out there that while we are having fun with facebook we should be aware that other people have access to our profiles and pictures. So if you wouldn't show it to your employer, admissions committee, pastor, husband or parent, don't put it on facebook.

74 comments:

NaijaScorpio said...

First! My FB life is very PG. In fact my life is PG anyway. I've always hated the damn thing, i refused to join even when it was only for students. I only joined sometime this yr after i had been bombarded my friends and juicy gist i was missing out from. See what amebo can do to u? I have deactivated my account on numerous occasions, now i'm just there cos i met up with a lot of OLD friends.

Jen Juma said...

GR8 POST. Facebook was a status thing for who just arrived yankee, jand or canada for college and when everyone could join, we were all furious since we couldn't 'prove levels' anymore.

Lol that was 2years ago.

I don't have a camera so that controls the number of photo uploads though I get tagged a lot!

No drunken, scandalous, paparrazi moments so I hope thats clean enough.

Nigerian Drama Queen said...

I decided@ the last minute to take it in December. I didn't feel prepared enough to do as good as I wanted, and since they average scores if you take it more than once, I decided to wait till im better prepared. I need to update, but the thought of replying comments and getting caught up is somewhat overwhelming...fall break is almost here though so hopefully I'll have time to update.
Hmmmm yes I heard about the facebook fiasco, so I've cleaned up my act and made my profile private. There wasnt really much on my profile anyways...
How r u?! Thanks for checking on me!

NikkiSab said...

I feel u on dis facebook madness but i must confess dat i am on it as myself. I have to say it has merits n demerits like i've found primary sch frds dat i lost touch with. I guess d major tin is limit ur picture upload, status mood, and personal info. I av axd a couple of my frds to remove dia fone nos as its not a dating forum..lol.

aloted said...

LOL..first of all ur blog title nearly scared me...lol..i guess am guilty of that..checking fb in the office!

omo this fb thing sef...i tire jare...i tire! too much aproko and gbeborun! but we are all signed up..or most of us are...lol

Joy Akut said...

i've got over a hundred friend request in my account that've i've refused to approve, most of them collegues, friends of friend or people who have no business being in my social network, thats why i go private sometimes
i aviod posting pictures of some events i attend, and quickly untag.
myself for some others. jeez a girls cant even repeat an outfit sometimes...lol
i know i've met a couple of people who look familiar then i realize i've seen them in some friends album on fb. lol

but then its such an easy way to flirt, especially with someone who you've always wanted to talk to but had no guts...
and another pro, the gossip!!!!

Anonymous said...

i remember when facebook started... my brother was crazy about it but i thut it was jus another hi5. gosh, my hi5 account is still active. i need to deactivate the shege asap.
anyway, i felt that facebook was an elitist hi5, and i was over the whole wanting to show how hot you are thing. like u said its not a dating service!
but facebook as a government tracking device? that makes me want to delete my account. i've always thut it was too nosy, but it worked when you were tapping other people's gist.
mostly i use it to send messages cuz i dont have anybody's email address. my friends gist isnt that exciting it turns out.
but bloggers with facebook profiles is something ive never understood.

ibiluv said...

facebook i like cos i get to hook up with people i might have no other forum to hook up with

whatever is on our facebook accounts we are each responsible for
so whatever comes of it

we should be ready to face........

FineBoy Agbero said...

1. I use Facebook solely for hookin up with old friends; it has helped us plan a reunion after almost a decade of leavin sec school... I really no get time for all d other wahalas.

2. Funny abt government trackin!!!

3. Bloggers on Facebook with their blogger profiles is mildly annoying!!! Why??? I no just understand!
So, here's to Afrobabe, 30+, Chari and a host of others: Haba, on Facebook u can still be ur normal selves. OK, just dont add a fellow blogger if u're concerned abt ur identity!

ShonaVixen said...

yup i remember the ol' facebook too, when i deactivated my hi5 account and joined FB...i have a love/hate relationship wiv FB at the moment where sometimes i just temporarily close my account!
Imagine if FB and CHEATERS worked together?1?the drama..the walls posts etc...my oh my...

doll (retired blogger) said...

am a facebook addict anytime anyday

Joy Akut said...

did i mention the dude whos girlfriends mothers is his friend on fb, i tell ya, wasnt funny after the breakup esp as the girl he fell in love with kept flirting on his wall.
you should have heard the scoldings the ex mother in law gave him. classic.

Thirty + said...

And I thought you lost your job. As per fb, no comment.

Rayo said...

babe, ur post title had me scared oh. finally joined fb in july or was it august and i kno wat a mess it can cause.

Invisible said...

Facebook was not sold. Mark Zuckerberg or what's his face still owns it. Microsoft just bought a 5% share into it to avoid google from bidding on it. We actually discussed this in my e-commerce class last thursday so I'm pretty sure.

Of course the authorities use it to find stuff and you're right on using info to determine how radical you are. I've heard of guys being arrested for crimes because they took pictures with the gun and put it on fb (idiots).

I go through my tagged pictures every now and then to be sure someone didn't tag a crazy picture of me and I untag quick. I do the same for friends list. I just removed someone a few days ago.

Now myspace is another story. That I refuse and will forever refuse to join and I've said the day facebook sinks to myspace's level, I'm out.

Allied said...

and u wonder why i refuse to join..

bumight said...

@sting:
you refused to join at the sweetest part of the thing. fb is really grea with linking up old friends. I haven't been able to bring myself to deactivate my account!

@ladi:
you're soooo right about the status! and I dont think there's way u can avoid being tagged on fb pictures, so long as you keep it PG :)

@NDQ:
great decision, so long as you kill it in dec, then you'll know that the time wasn't wasted. smart decision too!
glad u cleaned up your fb profile cos if med schools are looking at them, you can bet law school will also!
I've been great. missed seeing u around here!

@Nikkisab:
there's not much confession to do, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who isnt on fb.
thank God you mentioned the phone number thing, I have asked countless people to remove their phone numbers, addresses and other personal info from facebook! its not only not a dating site, its also dangerous!

@aloted:
I dont know about checking facebook at work, but if your colleagues or bosses are on fb....that's a differnt story entirely!

@fantasy queen:
funny thing is, i actually saw someone in the mall one time and I was convinced I knew her,
it turned out that I only knew her from facebook!
I dont see facebook being too much of an issue in niaja, except for gbeborun (gossip) problems it might get u into, but I donnt accept random invitess too1

@geisha.song:
I actually joined because I thought it was an elitist hi5, lol!
turns out that its becoming the same thing!
facebook is great for a lot of stuff dont get me wrong, but at what cost?
I'm really trying to understand the bloggers thing, seriously!

@ibiluv:
very true!

but a lot of people don't realize that it can have far-reaching implications, especially since its open to the public.

@Fineboy agbero aka olowo ori mi:
my thoughts exactly! you hit the nail squarely on the head. actually, I'm going to go look for chari, I was thinking about opening a fb profile as "bumight" at one time, then again I thought "what's the point?"

@shonavixen:
lol, drama! drama! I can only imagine!

@doll:
meet an ex-fb addict myself! the new facebook cured me of my addiction sharphish!

@fantasy queen:
funny enough i heard a similar story. babe joins facebook and her fiance's mom adds her.
1. you CANNOT refuse such an invite
so she adds him.
one day, she changes her status message to something like "babe is feeling a little depressed today"
her fiance's mom called her to ask what the problem was! is it her son? blah blah!

LOL!

@30+:
no vex for the false alarm, no comment? why now? :(

olusimeon said...

facebook for life....cos we are too nosey to dump it...lol//

mizchif said...

Ok, 1st u are an old mama on fb sha.

As for me and fb, i will say thank God for blogger, cuz i was gradually becoming a fb addict b4 i discovered blogger.

I still like fb cuz it helps me keep in touch with ppl otherwise forgotten, but i can't lie sha, i does love me some aproko sometimes and fb gives me my aproko fix.

Fully bearing in mind that other ppl love aproko as well, i limit my friend approvals and i regularly delete some sef.

I'm very carefull not to take pictures when i go out, except it's my camera, i promptly untag myself in those i appear by mistake and lately i've reduced my albums.

I so get what u mean abt being cured by the new fb, that takes aproko 2 a whole new level.

Funny u mentioned fb being spied on by the gov. I watched "eagle eye" over the weekend and stronly considered deactivating my fb account, even as PG as it is!

But sorry o, excuse me, but which kain jobless mama dey join fb ehn?

Smaragd said...

funny u should say these, cuz my boss keeps saying that fb is an FBI ploy to keep track of people.

i've never wanted to join myspace, dont even know how it functions. abandoned hi5 yonks ago, might just do that for fb too if it gets seedy.

badderchic said...

it really is embarrassing when someone puts up some unflattering photo of you, really really pissing that everyone is all up in your biz but we wont leave just cuz of gbeborun and ofcourse hooking up with old friends. na wa o!

Anonymous said...

i like facebook... found friends i never thought i would.. im talking about friends from wayyyyyyyy wayyyyyyyyy back.. that i wouldnt have without it... i dont think i have anything super terible... i mean a cleavage pic or 2... but thats about it. everything else is pg pg pg... actualy even that... i hae a blogger fb... why? well cos i can.. lol. i kid.. more to do with the fact that i wanted to keep in touch with certain blogger friends... and not necessarily hae to reveal my identity... though i really cant tell u why i stil kee it cos im barely on it... once in 2/3 months... ahhn well.. how u doing my precious?

princesa said...

Those seven resons may just be true o.
Am not so crazy about Facebook sha.
Just log on once in a while.

O'Dee said...

As long as we use the internet we can be tracked.
Its best to have fun with FB, but not over do it.

Cappuccine Baby said...

hey, came across your blog, very interesting, i must say you are right about your facebook analysis, one teacher in my college actually got sacked because of some 'inapropriate' pictures

The Activist said...

Any employee that checks me out on facebook will just hire me straight away...

Jennifer A. said...

*Sigh*...I remember when I just joined facebook, I felt special cos I had to sign in with my university ID...

Oh well, no longer! LOL...

Jennifer A. said...

LOL...and I thought I was the only one who wasn't really feeling blogville personalities on facebook.

I thought blogville was enough...

LusciousRon said...

I never wanted an in on fb but gbeborun pushed me. I joined in May. Myspace i absolutely refuse to join. Upon review of all your comments I am scared o! I have recently been using it to let my ex know all that is happening in my life and how much fun I am having without him! I think I will chill a bit sha.

Why would employers and examiners ask all that. Its invasion of privacy.

This is scary and I think I will let my people know the dangers of fb.

archiwiz said...

LOL... I totally agree with you on the facebook government tracking thing. I've seen the numerous drama it has caused here, and frankly there are many people who I don't want to know about my business. So I refused to join... I'm so busy with other things anyway, that it would be another distraction... Maybe when I have some free time... and then again, maybe not.

Rita said...

Didnt know the part of "...A lot of employers now admit that they check prospective employees' facebook accounts before hiring them..."

Hmmm, not bad at all...

Your own story about the beginning of facebook is different from what I was told... a friend said her classmate designed it as project...

Anonymous said...

I wish I could open ma dirty mouth and shout the heck outta facebook but the truth is I owe that thing a debt...but I have to admit that thing is addictive...

bumight said...

@rita:
except Mark Zuckeberg is her classmate...

@everyone before archiwiz:
I typed a very extensive reply to all the comments and it seems like archiwiz's comment came in at the same time and mine didn't go thru. I'm too lazy to type another one.
the whole gist of my reply is that facebook is great, but it seems like while we are busy hooking up with our old classmates, and long lost loves, other people that we might not necessarily want to see our profiles can also see it because facebook is now a popular public website.

Freaksho said...

i remember when i was shutting down my facebook account, one of the reasons you can select for leaving is 'facebook is resulting in too much social drama for me'
i thought that was bloody hilarious.

dat 1 okrika babe said...

yeah i had to clean up my facebook page a bit, its funny cuz now when my friends and i head to the club we go through the pictures and say which ones shouldn't be put on facebook.

My blogger identity is on facebook but it was because of Blogville Idol, i wasn't going to use my real facebook page.

Anonymous said...

omo men i dont know about it been a govt tracking something but we need to be careful abt the type of info we put up!!!we never know where they may end up!!

Afronuts said...

Bumight...this post is tight!!

First you gave a historical account and I got educated on all the ish about FB and how it became what it is today.

This is an eye-opening post.

And those entries from ur old blog show that writers sometime unconciously see into the future...like u did because I believe these things can and are happening!

Afronuts said...

Thank god I've got a clean record on facebook sha....

Anonymous said...

Can't you limit who sees your profile anyway? Not concern, I don't have random people has friends.

bumight said...

@freaksho:
lol! you shut down ur fb? unfortunately i dont have the balls to do that myself.

@dat one okrika girl:
exactly! when pple take pics now, the nest thing they say is "dont put it on fb o!".
at least you had a reason for creating a blogger fb id, i didnt have any such reasons, so i shelved the plan.

@anonymous:
yeah, thats the point of the post, to stress the need to be careful. there's a proverb that translates "even though we're crying, we should also be able to see"

@afronuts:
yeah, i dont remember who sent me that post, but i remember thinking "this is hilarious!" now its not so hilarious.
as long as u have a clean fb record, you're good to go!

@abbie:
yeah you can limit the people who view your profile, under "privacy".
I have mine set to only the people that I'm friends with.

miz-cynic said...

BUUUMIGHT.....LOSING JOB KE COS OF FACEBOOK?????

Anonymous said...

Wow, I remember that it was actually called "The Facebook" and not "Facebook". That just shows how long I've been on it. I think it started going down when it changed its mame to Facebook!

Anonymous said...

what blog was i the first to comment on??

bighead said...

But yu realise that if facebook wasn't thrown open, we folks in nigerian unis would be left out totally

theicequeen said...

oooh, Bumight, who sent you work> i was just getting out of my paranoia!.see, for weeks, i've been trying to talk myself out of deleting all my photos on fb and providing as little info as possible...just deleting the thing entirely...it freaks me out that peole can just see and know and i am not even aware of when the seeing and knowing is going on...freaaaaky! and now you've awakened the paranoia!! arghhh

LOL...nice post!

bumight said...

@miz-cynic:
you dont think its possible?

@doja:
that sounds deep!

@GF:
yeah that's so true! i almost forgot it was called "the facebook" at some point. that means you're a real veteran!

@geisha:
myveryownstylediary.blogspot.com

@bighead:
that's very true. i guess you have to take the good with the bad, shey?

@icequeen:
lol! sorry for sending you into paranoia, actually its not meant to make you paranoid, just cautious.

Flourishing Florida said...

Tomorrow free-flowing florida becomes FFF & Shotmusinz becomes Ruffin' It. Don't miss this ...

Original Mgbeke said...

Man I miss the good ol' FB days. When it was open to select schools sef... :p
And now this new FB is just so UGGH!

Anonymous said...

conspiracy theory: ur doing it right.

I believe facebook is a matter of choice. I hate people that are on it whining about how it does this and that. if you don't like it, delete your account now! and why the heck should your employer be able to find stuff about you on it?

It's called PRIVACY SETTINGS ppl! Use it. Noone can view my profile unless we're friends, so I'm not bothered. And I like stalking my friends over the pond... so chances are I'll keep using it too.


As for bloggers that use their blogger names on FB, well, Ill reserve my comment on that cos I know people won't like it.

/end rant

Toluwa said...

okay, scary title...ehn? but yeah...i have a love-hate relationship with FCBK! i dunno y o!

very soon sumtin else will come up and i'll leave and join the new online community..

Flourishing Florida said...

facebook na amebo-engine. anything wey u wan know abt anybody wey know somebody wey know somebody in fb is just a click away. kai


"Ruffin' It" is launched. If u haven't been there, follow my link ...

Toochi said...

Hey you! stop hating! lol....
i don't even know what to blog abot nemore. :(

Toochi said...

oh oh and @ fantasy queen?....i totally concur on the flirting thing
*wink*

exschoolnerd said...

i didnt catch the facebook bug till much later wen one yeye boy was hounding me to join, i remember when i first checked it out n it was strictly for yankee college peeps...i was like mchew! they can keep it...hi5 just got too boring n razz..too many goats in ur biz no privacy...facebook seemd like a breath of fresh air and i joined...i wouldnt say i am hooked to facebook i am just hooked to anything that allows me to keep in touch with friends,spy on secondary school seniors who bullied me and r now ugly, and check out cute bois...o tan ni yen...n post weird pics..

Uber Fabulous Nigerian Girl said...

lmao!!!
the facebook effect

Unknown said...

It's a bit scary o but I totally see your point. It could def be used for spying on people or collecting evidence.

I don't use FB personally but I'm there as my blog identity for the purpose of a wider readership.

tobenna said...

Well, I'm not complaining!
If it didn't open up, most of us currently on FB would have no business being there. And we'd have missed out on all the hook ups some of us have made.
Thats globalisation!

Tinu said...

lmaoooo...

my dad is on facebook..after several months of blocking him i finally added him today! hmmm

what can i do!!?!?

temi said...

i'd like to think that the merits of fb outweigh the demerits...
and its really up to the user how much info you want to put out there...


temiloluwa

Buttercup said...

I also thought u cud set privacy settings so that not just anybody can view ur profile?

Anyhoos, i love fb, i wont even deny it..lol..but that post bout those 7 reasons has got me thinkin sha..i'v deactivated my account for a while n i'v been survivin, i guess im not such an addict after all!

How u been sweetie? Missed ya!

bumight said...

@Onyeka: yeah, it sounds like a conspiracy theory, at least the 7 things part, but thats not the gist of the post.

of course facebook is a matter of choice, but then its better to err on the side of caution. best believe lots of employers can find you on fb.
some companies get their interns to look into pple's profile. and i recently read about someone who had his privacy settings on but fb still allowed his employees access.

of course if ur privacy setting is locked on tight, chances are nobody can see it, and thats good for u, but there are countless of others who dont know.

@just..Toluwa:
I'm emotionally invested in fb, dont know if I can just leave like that. i guess the love-hate relationship will have to do.

@FFF: you said it right!

@Toochi:
I'm not hating. if you dont know what to blog about, blog about me, and how I'm the best thing that ever happened to you, lol! I'm sure pple want to read about that!

@exschoolnerd:
hooked! i know about checking out cute bois, but spying on ugly bullies is new to me, maybe I'll try that!

@Uberfab Nig. girl:
yup! its an effect

@naijalines:
at least you see the point.

as for being on fb with your blog identity for wider readership, getting facebook to work for you? that's smart!

@tobenna:
yeah globalization alright! it'll take a while for nigerian employees and schools to use fb that way anyways, so enjoy while it lasts!

@tintin:
heck no! that's the one person (my dad) that I can see joining and I will ABSOLUTELY refuse to add him, and if i do he better not say anything about my page or I'll delete him sharpish!

pele, I feel ur pain, lol

@temi:
the merits can outweigh the demerits as long as you're sensible.
there are lots of high school kids that take pics with guns or nude pics and post it up just to be cool. not sensible!

@buttercup:
there was a time I went for a conference with my friends and we took pics- regular pics, but we took a couple of pics at the pool in our bikinis.
when we got back to school, one of our teachers wanted to see the pics so i said i'll send him the ones he can see.
you know the dude got someone who was my friend to sign into fb and he looked at the pics through the dundie's profile!

neays, how's ur exams coming along?

Anonymous said...

i really wont be mad if you decide to update... really.. i wont... lol...

Queen of My Castle said...

Wow...your list really makes one think...HARD!!!!!

How you dey?

Miss Definitely Maybe said...

i think when used properly facebookcan be a great way of communicating. You can restrict who sees what onyour profile so im not too worried about security etc. But i think people who have anything more than 200 friends (allowing for colleagues and x school mates ) are slightly bonkers.

ababoypart2 said...

I wasnt on facebook because I thought it was for college kids. Joined once I noticed facebook had 'grown'

Smaragd said...

u just made my day with this pacman Bum!

Buttercup said...

Haha r u serious?? Thats just ridiculous!

Exams r goin well so far, yay!

Take care!

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

mehn, FB dey make me fear. I only signed up as my blog name. I no wan wahala!

lol!

Babe, how now? Thanks for taking the time to comment at Nigerian Curiosity

naijaleta said...

I'm surprised that you're wondering why some bloggers only have their blog identities on Facebook after what you've said about Facebook and governement control. Why should I put my life on facebook?
I went to a party the other day. Gatecrashed actually cos I saw the invite on facebook. I could have written a short bio on almost everyone at the party. Thanks to facebook and none of them knew who I was.
Facebooking is nothing but foolishness. Yes, tell them I said so. Anyway, not to Mark Zuckerberg, he's $1.5Billion better off because of faceshit, sorry I meant book.
And offcourse I'm on facebook as my blog personality.

Beyond said...

.....facebook!..that shit has caused several fights between people even very close one... broken so many relationships.... but has also brought several people together....

U have been given an "I LOVE YOUR BLOG" award.....

Bibi said...

It scares and shocks at the same time. I know how you feel. Nowadays, I'm skeptical about adding friends to my list so what I do is make sure through their profiles and sometimes phonecalls making sure that I'm adding the 'real' person. I also changed the privacy settings on my albums so not everyone person on the list has access to it. The other thing to do is take an alias...

Femi B said...

when i told my mum about the dapolam thingy she seriously wants to join facebook . I don't know how i feel about that oh...
Thanks for your thorough investigation on the matter sef.

Anonymous said...

Fb is nothing but trouble... i know, and I dont even have an account to know that....

Femi Adeyemi said...

Nice, i do remember the college email thingy. When i joined also had to use my school email and i felt like i was in an exclusive club. It was only normal that people will be allowed in, more revenue for Mark.

I still like facebook though, most times i check it before i check my emails. LOL.

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com