
These are two people that rose from obscurity to become the superstars of this year's election- albeit for different reasons. I remember watching Barack Obama's speech at the DNC in 2004, my uncle was particularly excited about the speech. me? I couldn't care less. I didn't know him.
2008, its a different ball game entirely. I am particularly excited about Obama because he is a strong example that you can make it- and big too!. He proves that your skin color should not be a deterent as long as you know your stuff. Plus, Obama is a real first generation African American. The son of a Kenyan immigrant and a white woman. at the risk of sounding politically incorrect, he gives me hope that if I had a child by a white dude, my child can become the president of America, isn't that cool?
He also proves that I dont have to name the son John, Bill or Sean, if I name him *Oluwatobilobalatifiyinatogofun *Dideoluwakusidedeomoarayeeyipada Peterson, it wouldn't stop his rise to prominence either.
He however does prove that for Oluwatobilobalatifiyin to get to the top, he has to be sound on every side. He's going to be a goldfish in a glass bowl, and his every action is going to be put under scrutiny. He would have to go to the best schools on scholarship of course, graduate Summa Cum Laude, hang around with great people, be involved extracurricularly, and carefully scrutinize his friends. And of course Oluwatobiloba can't afford to be associated with the so-called "awon boys" cos it might come up later on during his political career that he pallies around with yahooze boys.

I'm also excited for this woman because she has proven that a woman could shatter the glass ceiling(lets not go into how) and also rise to rub shoulders with her male counterparts in high offices. However, she has to know her stuff cold. There's no room to be mediocre or just skit through because you'll be put under the microscope too.

And of course you can be personable and woo people with your feminine graces, but there has to be something more to it. As you draw people in with your charisma and feminine charms, you have to be able to keep them drawn to you with your brains as well.
which is something that HRC has been able to do, and though she's not on the ticket this year, I'm also proud of HRC. She not only shattered the glass ceiling, she reduced the glass fragments to finely ground dust.Now I'm waiting for the time when the next African/ African american woman with the brains of Obama and the poise of HRC would emerge. Hundreds of Thousands willl gather to hear her speak about Foreign policy health and the Economy. While they are at it, many more would take fashion cues from her neatly cut skirt suits and amazing hair.
The Washington Post would write about her amazing plan to fix medicare once and for all, while Vogue would write about her keen sense of fashion. Essence would write about how she manages to always pull off sleek hair even though she has African hair, the Fitness mags would follow her to get her fitness routine and .....
can I dream?
*names courtesy black007's post a while back

43 comments:
Hmmmm, could i really be first????
Ok, quick question, what does dat long ass name mean?
And yea, dreaming is always, always allowed.... JOSEPHINA!!!
it means
God is great enough to ascribe all Glory and honor to.
the second name means:
the coming of the Lord is near, People of the world, repent!
HEHEHHE!!! I will so disown any parent that name me such ridiculous name. Seriously hilarious bumight. Ermhhh were you describing me there, you were werent you. I will def invite you to the high altar when I am giving my brilliant speech. I have the charm of a palin, the brains of a hilary and the beauty and general smartness of Michele Obama. BAM!!! The World here I COME! I gat luf fo you bumigangster. MUAHHHH!!!!
I may want you to tie me up, how do you know I wont enjoy it!
That pic of Obama and Palin cracked me up when a friend sent it to my email...
those names ehn! i got as far as 'oluwatobiloba' and got stuck!
i guess the moral of the story is with hard work, dedication and a straight-pathed lifestyle, the world - well, America - is attainable!
Bumight those names should win award for tongue twister of the year. Kilode you wan kill the child? Imagine he/she at age 3 trying to pronounce the name.
But men, we can dream. Norrin do you
Yes you can o.
Obama proves 1 thing; we are responsible for how we turn out in the end. irrespective of our race, background...
Those names are long.
Obama has been a great motivator by being himself...so many people have been encouraged to realize their dreams because of him.
Couldn't believe that picture of Obama and Palin.
I truly appreciate those women who have given women a face on this earth.
Speaking of "Now I'm waiting for the time when the next African/ African american woman with the brains of Obama and the poise of HRC would emerge..." The moment I read that sentence, all I saw was You - Bumight.
Dream on...only dreams become reality...
oluwatobiloba
abt the rigid upbringing and striving constantly for "perfection"......to become the president of USA(which is no big deal to me by the way)....i dont see it. im not a perfectionist and i do not like perfectionists cos most of them tend to impose their will on others but tht does not mean tht i condone mediocrity cos I myself am by no means mediocre but i just wont be a perfectionist.
AND YEAH, THTS WHY I SAID NO COMMENT TO YOR LAST POST WHERE U WERE COMPLAINING ABOUT GETTING A B.on a lighter note i have one of such names here adetutumomiloriagaobatimojokolelori. lol.it was formed by my silly friend kemi in sec sch......for want of a longer name
awww...love the names...but the pickin no fit write him full name for WAEC or JAMB form o...so make una shorten it...lol
I like Obama too...and that photo is so hilarious...
happy Friday!!!
@Feel free to dream. Just be ready to see some unfulfilled dreams. Its part of the process
Yeah, those names will make your kid hate you. I couldn't even pronounce it beyond oluwatobiloba, the second one, I couldn't even attempt.
I saw that dancing with the stars picture on CNN yesterday and I thought it was funny too. As for that $150,000 on fashion spending woman who thinks she's cute and could pass for a milf, let's just leave it at that. Milf, hmmm.
No further comments.
@Temite: how did I know it was you? I'm a genius! so long as u include me in your speeches, I'm all good.
then again, why would i want to tie you up? hmnnnnn....
@Jaycee: Lol! at first I thot it was Toni braxton...
@geisha.song: very nice summing up there, and why not the world? why only America?
@LusciousRon: oh, we'll begin teaching the child at an early age how to pronounce his name, dont worry by age 3, he would have mastered it!
@Oluwadee: yes I can o!
long names? and here I was thinking I had come up with brilliant suggestions for oluwadee's baby's names!
@Rita: you saw Me? you need to tell that to Temite cos she has already claimed the position o!
@doll: ....latifiyinatogofun!
@miz-cynic: Its not about striving for perfection, but sadly today if you're a black person, you have to be able to do better than your white counterparts to be considered equal.
If you look at the stats on Obama and his opponent, its almost like night and day. If Obama was not very near perfect, I doubt that he would have gotten to where he is now today.
neways, i'm trying to pronounce the name you wrote there, can you interprete :)
@aloted: too bad cos Jamb ill have to accomodate him, like give him two answer papers or something, lol!
@bighead: pulease! did you say unfulfilled dreams? you just watch out! lol!
@invisible: then you need to try harder!
the pic was on CNN? oh, and babe is about to be a GILF! lol
LOL@the picture. I honestly for the life of me can;t stand Sarah Palin, which is unfortunte cuz I live in a very conservative state. The only glass ceiling she has shattered is with that annoying voice of hers!
LOL@ that long ass name! I use to love it when my yoruba friends would get in fights and start screaming, "Do you know who I am? I am [insert longggggggg name]!"
Hmmm this your perfect child na war oh!lollll
How r u babes?!
@NDQ: great people sometimes get good chances cos some other idiot f**ed up before them. SP got elected as governor right after an awfully bad predecessor.
SP got so much media attention cos of how less personable HRC (the only other major female out there) was.
now imagine when you-NDQ burst onto the political scene in a couple of years, it'll be magic!, beauty andbrains! lol
i love obama...palin is a joker!!!! 11 days more and he shall be president.
Let's all keep our fingers crossed that the so-called Bradley effect does not rob Obama of victory on November 4th.
Obama all the way!
Temite doesn't sound like she's sure as u'd see in her statement ..."Ermhhh were you describing me there, you were werent you..."
Babe, i'm not sure a child with such a long name will have any chance of being American president.
And while we are all excited about a possible Obama presidency, lets not get our hopes to high up until after the elections and the votes are counted.
We all do recall what happened in the Bush-Florida recounts fiasco. Fingers crossed, the best man will win by a clear mile.
Obama joe for president. Our brother. LOL..
PS: thanks for your comments on my ollld blogpost. Atimes, i do find solace, in my blog friends, more than my physical friends. God bless us all, amen.
Take good care..Don't think we are going to lose u to any whitey oh
That name don't stand a chance...lol!!! Where's you get it???? I don't think there's a yoruba name as long as that! LOL! tell me that ain't ur son's name... it's short for??? I'm still wondering...
I guess it's my first time here, loving your blog.
hi girl..how u doing...i think u might be interested in my last blog entry...pls check asap..and inform others as well..
ta ta!
Bumight, I love your article....... so cool!
Nothing wrong with dreaming- gives u hope.
As for naming ur child in Tobi in America- not very wise. All Americans can never forget the slave in roots whose name was changed from Kutakinte to Toby.
bumight.d name means d crown is cool on my head,the throne of a king whereupon i sit
very creative names there, babe. really, i really loved HRC & hoped Obama would chose her. but i guess, he really needed 2 get loads of pple 2 his side & he wanted to cover as much areas as possible. i do know he'd bring Hillary in his govt wen he wins, cos dat woman has d brains (even though SNL won't stop making jokes at her)
Palin did wot a lot of men think of us - dat woman charm dir way 2 d top. daz sad. i really expected mroe 4rm her
hahaha...Love that name men.... AS for Hillary she is my Shero... and you missed good weave for the African- American woman.
That picture of Obama and Palin is sooooo wrong. LOL. I'm all for Hillary Clinton shattering ceilings. I dunno about Palin though. She has not shattered any ceiling to me. She just makes us (women) look dense. She doesn't know her stuff! But lemme not get too political here.
Go Obama/Biden!!! (what was it I said about not getting too political?)
And as for those names....tufia kwa!!! Abomination. That's an entire chapter of a book.
is it only me or this guys....obama and palin look cute together
She is already here.
Her name is Michelle.
i havent read this post but damnnnnnn....i love the 'so you think you can dance' shot of obama and palin shot.
i havent read this post but damnnnnnn....i love the 'so you think you can dance' shot of obama and palin shot.
I have never paid so much attention to Palin (if been biased is a sin, then get me the pope), but I have a lil bit on Obama. Let see what the present holds for the future's past. History will have a new colour. Looking forward to then...
and i thot my son's name was long.
lol@Naapali's comment. Couldnt agree more.
Fantastic dance. lol. men that name long o
@uberFabNigerianGirl: let's keep our fingers crossed!
@kay-shawn: if he loses, i seriously dont think it'll be because of the bradley effect.
@naijalines: word!
@Rita: true that!
@the genius within: why not? Barack has an atypical name? hopefully he wins by clear miles so that florida doesnt happen.
don't worry, no whiteys ;)
@woomie O: best believe there are longer names!hope you come back more often.
@aloted: i already checked it, I mentioned it to NDQ, i'm an international student, it doesnt apply to me :(
@andy: thanks! hope u stop by more often.
@Tigress: look at it from this angle, at least we'll get the black vote :), ok that was so not PC!
@miz-cynic: I'm going to go back and look at the name with that translation in mind
@FFF: if he had chosen HRC, JSM would never have chosen SP and SNL wouldn't have gotten so much ratings! SNL makes jokes out of everybody even obama,
everybody expected a lot from her esp since HRC didnt win, too bad!
@Femi B: yeah, good weave, then all of America would know what a good weave looks like. I love HRC too, i was rooting for her in the beginning. actually i didnt really care, whoever won obama or HRC would still have made history.
@Vera: you have to admit they look good together :)
SP just raised her head through the ceiling HRC shattered, and I'm glad that not every female is flocking to her side just because she's female. see my reply to NDQ's comment.
@tankojjetty: of course they do!
@Naapali: very true. Michelle Obama for president 2020!
@fantasy queen: lol! me too!
@unnaked soul: you should have paid attention. I'll let you google her.
@black 007: my site has missed you!
@standtall: long? it only has about 50 alphabets, that's not long! lol
ah!!!! what rubbish..so na only them oyinbo people fit apply???
might just pull it down from my blog then! :(
upset!
For sometime, Obama had become my idol until i remembered i should have no other gods before the Lord. That guy is incredible and i already have a 100,000 (naira oh)bet on his ass. I'm sure he's gonna win.
Beautiful writeup. I believe your foundation or beginning has nothing to do with whom u become. All we got to do is believe in our dreams and our capabilities and not even the heavens would be our limit. Thanks for checkingout my blog. Trust u'll follow my series.
Very beautiful write up. Of course Obama's record is intimidating.
Post a Comment