twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Happy Birthday!

I almost never write the cliche valentine's day post, 9-11 post or special holiday's post. This time however, I've been looking forward to the Independence day post.

Nigeria would be 48 0r is it 49 years old, and writer s worldwide would write lengthy essays about how little we've achieved in the last 49 years. Sadly they would be right. A fool at 4o they say.... can you imagine a fool at 50?

Recent events in the world however would not allow for Nigeria to continue along the same path of mediocrity for too long. I might be overly optimistic, but I believe there's something in the offing for our dear motherland.

First, the world has become a global village. What this means is that we can't afford to live in our little bubble for too long, even if we wanted to.

Just a couple of months ago, everyone watched the spectacle that was the Beijing olympics. The Chinese left not a single doubt in the minds of everybody worldwide that they have become a contending force and they are here to say.
Wasn't it too long ago that China was considered an underdeveloped country. Right now, they are fast-tracking to the position of Developed, and I sure say they deserve it.
China gave America a run for their money in the olympics, just as they have been doing in Science and Technology. A few years ago, most of the leading scientists involved in ground breaking research in America were Asians. Now China is luring all their scientists back home, building state of the art laboratories for them and paying them as well too. Now no PI can dangle an H1-B visa in front of the nose of a chinese scientist who knows what's in store at home.
The technology they presented at the olympics was fascinating and what's more, they are now ready to make their space launch! (or have completed it by now)

As someone who hasn't been so much into politics, I've certainly been following the American Presidential election. Even though no process is without its flaws, I can't help but draw sharp contrasts with the American electoral process.
Americans know they are not perfect, but they certainly expect someone who is near perfect to be at the helm of the affairs of their country. From the way Hilary Clinton and Barack Obama swung it out in the democratic primaries, I wonder if Yar'adua and Atiku could have put up the same fight. Even more, I wonder if the PDP would let them.

The presidential campaigns also provide a measure of interest(what with the palinmania, calling off campaigns, SNL interviews, deal or no deal...can you blame me?) and for one who cannot vote, I've sure been paying a lot of attention. The main focus of the election now is the Economy and each candidate is scrambling to be seen as the one who can fix it. In 2004, George Bush won because the main issue was national security,post 9-11.
If the process were to be the same in Nigeria, I can bet the issue of the day would be Electricity. I can't help but imagine the possiblity of the PDP candidate and the AD candidate trying to convince Nigerians that they can fix the mess that is NEPA.(it would sure be fun to watch!)

Alas, today is not about China or America. Its about Nigeria. I follow the news in Nigeria on a daily basis, and to some extent I'm cognizant about the general happenings in the country. It seems as if the wind of change that Obama has been championing, that McCain has now hijacked has finally blown its way into Nigeria.
Our once slow Yardy is finally shaking things up and getting rid of the Old boys' network on Aso Rock. Even though our change may not come as sweepingly as it has for our friends in the western world, even though it may not be as selfless as it appears to be, It is still change nonetheless. America didn't get to where it is in 49 years, we'll take baby steps, but I know we'll walk.
There is a reverse brain drain going on in the diaspora right now, its like the Jews going back all over again. Nigerians in the U.K and America are returning home to put their skills to use - and u know we Nigerians gat mad skillz! Its even hit blogsville, Atutu has returned and so have countless others. Those that haven't are thinking about going back to observe the youth service, in the hopes of going back at a later date.

with all this combined, I see a brighter future for Nigeria, infact I'm overly optimistic about that country. Maybe for the first time in a long time, I'll wear green and white today and show my solidarity. (ok, I lied about that last bit)

36 comments:

Abujamaiden said...

Am I first.

I'm planning to go home too for NYSC then a job. Its tough being in another man's country.

With the elections, I'm not following if I can't vote what impact will spending time on ObaMcCain policies do?

Its 2011 elections I'm waiting for. Lol, maybe the candidates will be more educated and can actually debate about fixing NEPA-PHCN.

Abujamaiden said...

Am I first.

I'm planning to go home too for NYSC then a job. Its tough being in another man's country.

With the elections, I'm not following if I can't vote what impact will spending time on ObaMcCain policies do?

Its 2011 elections I'm waiting for. Lol, maybe the candidates will be more educated and can actually debate about fixing NEPA-PHCN.

FineBoy Agbero said...

2nd! Mo try men!!!!

1. SO u cant wear green for ya country abi? Fake citizen!

2. China don already launch into space o. Some days ago.

3. When will Palin get off her scripted speeches and say her own mind, ehn?

4. Hmmm... talkin abt reverse brain drain: put ur action to words! Oya come back to Naija; i dey wait u o! *winks*

Shubby Doo said...

china have been growing into a dominate force for a while now...i remember trying to buy some steel for work about 5 years ago...my boss couldn't quite make up his mind...finally we got a new boss that said yes...but in just over 6 months its cost had more than quadrupled in price...why bcos china was getting there 1st. & yes as fineboy agbero says they just got back from space only this week!

bumight wear your green white green na. funny i hadn't thought about doing something like that sha but i kudos for mentioning it. you might as well go all the way and wear it.

@fineboy agbero - would you be willing to let palin speak her own mind on your campaign? i think not!

bArOquE said...

...48years of more backward movement than progress...but we love our country & can only pray for a significant forward movement...i couldnt find my green & white briefs so i'm commando

ShonaVixen said...

Happy Birthday Naija!!I see hope and bright future for all 53 countries within Mama Africa...and heey Naija's are doing it big and for that i salute that nation..btw m not Naija but you guys do rock!!Happy Birthday Naija

Anonymous said...

olodo its 48 not 49..oo mo maths ni? Happy Birthday to ma morra and farra land...

naijaleta said...

Bumight darling, that was such a wonderful post awwwww!

I promise to be really nice and say kind things to you now... at least for the next...er one or two posts then you and I can continue our blog love lost relationship. Funny thing, I woke up this morning thinking about you, sorry, I meant your blog. Maybe it was this post beckoning on me to comment.

Invisible said...

48 years of independence huh. Let's face it, it's been 48 years of steady decline. Everyone's screaming about how they are going back home but I've never heard anyone say how they are going to help the country. All they say is there's money in Nigeria now and so they are going back.
Well, the money's not just enough for me. Fix the government, the security, the electricity, the health system and I'll think about it.

Don't get me wrong, green white green flows in my blood but the air in my lungs is red white and blue. Happy independence!!!

Anonymous said...

This was a great post; so well thought out. I too am optimistic for Nigeria.

I'm not wearing green and white today either but I intend to sometime today.

Anonymous said...

nice one - first positive one i've seen so far. finally! you make me proud of my nija club memebership!
@ invisible, making money does bring those changes! you think developed countries did so out of the kindness of their hearts? economic growth (aka MONEY) fixes things, because it comes in people's economic interest to fix things.

Jennifer A. said...

Happy birthday Nigeria...

Invisible said...

@ kmplx, of course, money has to circulate to make the economy blossom. But that only works if inflation is not as high as it is in naija and I don't see anybody fixing any real issues either, just superficial surface fixes.
I don't want this to be an argument though so let's just say hip hip hip hurray for naija and hope for better days.

aloted said...

yes o happy birthday to Naija..

me i am wearing my green and white top to mark this day.

forward ever, backwards never

omonaija123 said...

am really excited about Nigeria and i know that we will surely get there.

Nice post

Femi Adeyemi said...

I say amen to your prayers.

But hey atiku and yaradua on a podium debating issues? i'd rather go watch an egg boil..LOL

Here's for change and progress. I swear the 1st time Nigeria experiences a 24 hour uninteruppted supply of electricity, people will call the then president, the messiah..

tk cre dear

Rita said...

The hope and optimism we have in our country is enough to make a change in our little area of influence...

Happy Independence day...

miz-cynic said...

@invisible-i can now c y my post bro!rang so close 2 home.cos quite frnkly.i shd b running away from u from now on.ur comment reminded me of bro.bumight-love d post.d cynic dat i am stil believes we would get thr.thrs no place like home.d man dat wl make me relocate abroad,wl try gan ni o.

Mz. Dee said...

OK this is the best write-up i've seen bout the 9ja indepedence thing... to be honest i wasnt rily feelin it cos i kept thinkin, wat are we celebratin??

But ur post just made me look at it in a whole different way!

Invisible said...

@ cynic, I can't understand what you're saying o. Why do you want to run away from me?

Naapali said...

so where is the pounded yam?

Vera Ezimora said...

Babe, I thought about that debate thing in Naija....I dunno oh. SOmebody will probably eliminate the person who is supposed to ask the questions. lol. The pesin go just "miss" before the debate. Hahahaha.

Tinu said...

i pray the Nigeria, will as u say take the path of China.

But u see what China has done, is sat down and thought about what the world need..changed its mind set and started with the changes!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NIGERIA, A YEAR OLDER BUT NOT ANY WISER!


i pray it changes soon!

doll (retired blogger) said...

Yes o! here is a toast to progress. Happy birthday Nigeria

Buttercup said...

It wud be somn watchin a Nigerian debate..lol

I love ur optimism jere..what we need now is positive energy..may God bless Nigeria!

Smaragd said...

good ol' naija is 48 quite alright! and just like u, i am uber optimistic about our future! i am so a part of that future.

Bumbum, u are on a roll o, i'm off blogsville for the holiday and u have 3 posts?

being perfect sucks! being perfect totally sucks!

moi-moi gone awry,lmao! i agree that u mustn't share that moi-moi.

princesa said...

Very optimistic, i must say.


Anyway, if i wear green and white on independence day, its not an act of solidarity, it got to be becaue it's fashionable!

Nigeria tire me jare.

PS: Ur moi-moi post cracked me up bably,lol!!!!!

princesa said...

*badly

Beyond said...

well said....things are definately bound to change soon cos Nigerians are beginning to realise that the so called developed countries don't have so much to offer than daily bread......."Arewa" has also relocated back to Nigeria in september.....

Thirty + said...

Keep the faith sister

O'Dee said...

I am proud to be one of those who returned back to 9ja.

Like the +ve take of this post.

Anonymous said...

i liked this independence post.
hope is good... and yes we can!

tobenna said...

Great to hear you still believe in Naija!
I have gotten tired of the insult Nigerians pour on Nigeria especially during independence.
It's almost as if we are not proud to be Nigerians.
I'm not.
How are you keeping Bumtight?

Aphrodite said...

Hey babes, its important to keep hope alive jare.
E go better.

Tairebabs said...

Electricity presidential debate, that would be something! But seriously why can't such a thing be a possibility in Nigeria self. To be honest Nigeria has capacity to have everything the western world has but we just don't have our priorities straight and the power of the people as a reckoning force is almost non-existent. What makes America what it is today is the power of the people. All the debates put up by Mccain and obama are merely to convince the people who are for the American society the determining factor. In Nigeria it is the other way around (if this were an english example, what is happening in Nigeria will be explained as ON THE OTHER HAND..as opposed to the western world)

Ekoakete said...

Mehn, I ceased to get excited about Naija independence day a long time ago. However, like you say I am hearing many good things about Naija these days despite the absence of some basics. We live in hope...

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com