#9. lightupnigeria: Any nigerian web crawler worth his salt would have heard about the online movement that swept (and is still sweeping through) Naija. LightupNigeria was the brain child of Amara Nwankpa and to some extent Eldee the Don that got all of twitterNaija tweeting. Soon enough we were noticed by CNN who did a special on the cause. For getting almost 90% (this is a rough estimate) of nigerian tweeters to don a burning green lamp (created by blogville's own genius Seye Kuyinu) next to their avatars, LightupNigeria makes this list.
#8.Jenifa: As a card carrying member of the YFB on twitter (yoruba film board) i have watched plenty of movies in 2009, but I guess we can safely say that the one movie everybody watched, heard, tried to watch, loved, tried NOT to watch in 2009 was Jenifa. Its like, as in, you know, it was everywhere!
#7. twitter: This year was definitely the year twitter came and blew facebook out of the water! 140 characters and still going on strong!
#6. kanye west: Kanye West seemed to have solidified his spot in the anals (pun intended) of history on the fateful award day when he got up on the stage grabbed the mic from Taylor swift
#5. michael jackson: There were a lot of deaths in 2009, but the one that shook us all the most was MJ's death, and in true Kanye West speak, imma let u finish, but Micheal Jackson had the best death of all time!

#4. Tiger woods: Im sure a lot of people cheated on their wives in 2009, had a one night stand, maybe even had a mistress or two, but Tiger took it to a whole new level! 13 mistresses and still counting. Nobody is giving Tiger the piss about having extra marital affairs, but attempting to cover it up and sound like its nobody's business just blew things out of proportion.
#3. yaradua: And in the midst of all this one would wonder where our president is right? only in Nigeria would you have a sick president who is out of the country who refuses to hand over to his #2. One can argue, and be correct within limits, that what was he doing when he wasnt sick? afterall they call d man baba go-slow. The president is yet to address the country about d panty bomber situation, the last I heard he's supposed to be thumb printing d budget from his sick bed in Saudi Arabia. o well, we talked about Mr President a lot in 2009 and from all indications we shall still be talking about him in 2010.
#2. Umar Farouk Muttalab: The wanna-be Christmas day panty bomber was a very last minute entrant into this list, and from Nigeria, to the US, the whole world has been talking about him. It is indeed very sad cos I never thought the day would come when I would see a nigerian born and bred suicide bomber. I mean we do yahoo, we do demons (lol) but we do NOT do suicide bombings. Not only has the idiot put the country under the spotlight for all the wrong reasons.
#1. Swagger: If there is one word that should be allowed to die a very peaceful death, it would be the word "swaggar". Damn! when TI proudly proclaimed that no-one on the corner had swagger like him, I guess he didnt know what he started, cos Nigerians definitely set out to prove him wrong! From Terry G telling us to "ginga our swagga" to it oozing out of DPrince's body., damn! swagga was everywhere in 2009! Hopefully everyone has maxed out their swagga credit, and 2010 shall be free of swagger.
Anyways, that was my top 09 for 09 List. What would have made yours? Here's to 2010 ushering in the best of everything we want!
Almost made the list:
Obama, Koko Mansion, Octomom, Rita, Fuel scarcity, Recession, Trending Topics, The W experience, H-factor, Exams, twitboo, breakups, weddings, Bffs, Verastically Speaking, Sarah Palin, Lady Gaga, ....
Obama, Koko Mansion, Octomom, Rita, Fuel scarcity, Recession, Trending Topics, The W experience, H-factor, Exams, twitboo, breakups, weddings, Bffs, Verastically Speaking, Sarah Palin, Lady Gaga, ....

27 comments:
Interesting Year...
LOL @ you almost made the list....
44th and 1st black president of the United states.
Where is our President????
I just don't understand this country that we're from.
Jesus take the wheel.
As for Farouk.he just looks like a young lost child, with no idea to life.
hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......what'smelling in da building???
That's all i came to say #okthxbye
LMAO!
I had to come back because dis ya blog accepted my coent as anonymous, when i clearly have an identity!!!
i repeat, what's smelling in da building????
Happy 2010 jare.
people, dont you just love this list here...i like especially that number 1, a word i sure am not gonna use seriously anymore...but dont you just love Terry G? that dude just makes me happy, i pray he doesn't disappoint me & fade away like a cheap pair of blue jeans
LMAO@Swagger! You couldn't have said it better. Everybody has swagger o! From D'Prince to the road-side vulcaniser. Everybody!
Nice List
my heart was beating gbam gbam gbam gbam gbam when I saw who made ur #2, I was like I gotta see number 1... mscheeeeewwwwwww....
I just kept seeing this chic's status on FB 'Time to ginger my swagga' I'm like WTF is she on about? ashey na song.... mscheeeewwww... lemme go find the silly song now, sef. ginger my swagger koo, pepper my swagger nii...
Happy new year in advance, sweerie.
i feel all of them. besides yaradua?!?!
guy is mum. and i gotta give props to lady gaga and obama for owning this year also!
Obama would certainly have been on my listbut I feel yours completely. Naija is on the rise and not even YArdie will dampen our swagger, yeah yeah. All the best wishes to you too in the new year.
the boy wasnt bred in nigeria..that umar..didnt go to school in nigeria..even high school.
yaradua seriously needs to leave that seat.
Nigeria is running on auto pilot...wonder if there'll b a new year presidential address? They'll probably record the breathing of yardua n play for us after the national anthem to prove he's still a capable presido. Happy newyr cousin.
YFB to the rescue, i just came here to endorse jenifa on that list..lol.
I certainly agree with most of ur list...Obama would be on mine though...
It is well with Naija in 2010...
Happy new year to you...
I really like this as for Tiger Woods..I suppose you can never judge a book by it's cover as in you would never expect him to have 13 side kicks and more! dang
anyways Happy New year hun
I really like this as for Tiger Woods..I suppose you can never judge a book by it's cover as in you would never expect him to have 13 side kicks and more! dang
anyways Happy New year hun
Hehe! I JUST SAW MY NAME ON BUMIGHT'S SITE! hehe!
anyways, its awesome to see all the things that happened in 2009. But can I ask: AREN'T YOU SCARED TO KNOW WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IN 2010. 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I MEAN, that movie 2012 must be making sense o. haha. didn't mean to scare you.
happy new year
it was an interesting yr. Happy new year to you!
As I went through the list, i was a bit scared that I'd find something new, something i wasn't aware of while it was going on.
I'm happy to see that during 2009, I was aware of all the "major" issues. even those that were not on the "merit" list.
I hope to do better this year. LOL!
girl ur crazy..........almost made the list.....lol
Never really heard to much of swagga. Guess I have to make a point to INCREASE the number of Nigerian People I hang out with.
LOL!! Nice, Look at what I've been missing. Bookmarking this ish sharpish!
btw, swagger is not dying anytime soon, imagine the number of songs that wud have been unreleased in 09 if the word was non existent!
Though I was so busy when you put up the post, I knew I had to read it even if you updated 20 posts afterwards. I guess the list is sweeter to read in 2010 :-) I am feeling as excited as bArOquE sounded in his comment.
Michael Jackson's part is still on my mind.
Happy New Year dear.
Excellent Compilation!
nice write up. happy new year by the way.
P.S spot on the whole swagger thingy
LOL. I enjoyed the "almost made to the list too."
Post a Comment