I really have been neglecting my blog of late, and I wouldn't be quick to jump to blaming twitter for it. The truth of the matter is that I've been so busy this academic year, especially as I'm in the hospital most of the times and not on my computer as I used to be for the past two years.
Yesterday was World Aids day and I must really commend my twitter folks (yet again) for really going all out. I read countless of tweets about AIDS, getting tested, knowing your status etc and you had to be deaf, blind or totally illiterate to have missed the message.
I was at work yesterday, and I casually mentioned to my colleagues in the lounge 'its world aids day guys, lets go downstairs and get tested". The responses I received were not really on the positive side (no pun intended). Even medical students were reluctant to go get tested (for free, i might add).
I decided to brave it and go get tested, cos i felt kinda hypocritical to be spreading the message and still be reluctant to go get tested. There were a few things i noticed while i was at it:

1. I was secretly hoping that I wouldnt come across anybody i knew.
2. While waiting, I almost felt ashamed. It was like if I saw someone I knew, I felt like they would judge me or assume that I had engaged in risky behaviour (which m
ost people WOULD assume)
3. while taking the test, my life flashed before my eyes, LOL!
4. I had to wait 20 mins for the results and i had to force myself to thi
nk positive thoughts (no pun intended again :D)
5. If I have learnt one thing from my years of blogging, its that if Im thinking something, chances are I'm not alone.
There's a subconscious stigma attached to being tested, which should not be so. At a time I was trying to work on getting oraquick testing kits and getting people on nigerian campus to undergo voluntary testing. I havent abandoned that project yet, but i wonder if people would be willing to voluntarily undergo testing.

If you think Ignorance is bliss, try Knowing- its the bestest feeling in the world. Get tested before the year runs out. Like my good friend Jenifa would say "spread d nuus (news), not d firus (virus)"!
PS: I've had a poll before that i lost because i changed my layout, can you pretty please take the poll again? thanks!!!! (you guys rock!)

25 comments:
first :D
AM i first or what?
HA!
Oh shoot Anonymous who u be?
tschewwwwwwww i soo wanted to shout first
Oh Bumight, I'm gonna have to plug my short story on this one, since you didn't link it yourself :D
Well, here it is, and you should all read it, since I'm first afterall. It's a story of someone getting tested for the very first time.
http://publishyourstory.blogspot.com/2009/05/behind-door-by-kola-tubosun.html
KT
should i say congrats on your negative status :)
pele, se ise o poju? well done
Spread the news not the virus! Good job bumight!
madam, dis ur poll no complete oh. what abt those of us who have gotten tested over n over?
my first time was very scary, of course. cos i kept wondering if na like dis i go go?? as in, na now devil don chose to punish me 4 my sins? after dat first time, i no dey fear again. been living 'positively'. so each time i get tested, it's to reassure myself dat all is well in d kingdom.
You left out the results part dear!!!! LOL
lol @ pple thinking u engaged in risky behaviour!!!
Good job bumight!
Good advocacy, I'm happy you got tested. Speaking out sometimes is not enough. I test as frequently as I can. The time you wait for your result give you a deeper appreciation of those living positively.
There are already set-ups in naija that offer free voluntary testing. Like you guessed, not everyone takes up the offer.
People should always use protection that way its easier to face getting tested. but having said that even if you are positive its not the end of the world, more and more people are positive but still living a full life.
Get tested.
CONGRATULATIONS!!
lol @ "spread d nuus and not the firus"...it was a good and brave thing you did...weldone.
I haven't specifically ever taken an AIDS/HIV test, but I took a blood test not too long ago and the doctor "magnanimously" congratulated me on being HIV -ve, so!
I wonder how often one should get tested?
I have being tested for HIV 5 times or 6? And most time I go voluntarily. So, this has helped me deal with the fear and stigma...
Errr, not being one to burst your bubble and all, but you do know that a repeat test is neccessary in 6wks or 3mnths time, during which you haven't been angaged in any high risk activity, to confirm your sero-negative status, knowing what you know about the window period.
Hehehehehehehehe.
You know i just had do do all the doctor speak.
The pool says most ppl have been tested this yr, that is DEFINITELY a VERY good thing.
Ignorance is not bliss ppl, GET TESTED, and stay strapped.
I've been tested twice before but not this year.
Since I haven't been involved in any 'risky' behavior or shared a needle with anyone....that sorta thing, is it absolutely imperative that I get tested again?
The results were negative both times.
LOL @life flashing before your eyes. Same thing happened to me. I almost passed out from anxiety.
i have no idea why
i wasnt scared the first time i did the test
i only wondered
i do a test every six months hon.....so your poll...e no apply to me....*wink*
ive never done the test...i really should!
Your poll leaves no provision for multiple tests in the past but none this year!
Your poll leaves no provision for multiple tests in the past but none this year!
Dr. Bumight...you tried. First time I did the test (I did not know I was being tested) was when I got my job. After the medicals and they did not call me, I began wondering why. You cannot imagine the things I thought when
I was told some people may not be taken immediately if found to have HIV. Well, I never saw the results but had to do the test twice before getting married.
Post a Comment