Anatomy starts in 7 days. I'm getting ready. I've got some books, I'm ordering the orders. I'm shopping for scrubs, a dissection kit. I'm getting ready.... and anxious.
It is almost like some sort of excitement, nervousness, anxiety all rolled into one. I've never dissected before, and I don't know what would happen.
It's not like I haven't seen a dead body before, I saw my first dead body when I was 14. It was black and charred, in the gutter, right at Fagba bus stop. The OPC dudes and hausa people I guess had a fight that resulted in killing and burning people. I didn't feel anything. I just knew I didn't want to be that burnt body in the gutter. I wanted to get home, and fast too... but I digress
To make matters worse, people keep asking me, "have you started practicals yet?" At first I pretend not to know what that means, and answer "yeah, I've started histology practicals"
Actually, my mum asks me everytime she calls. All the time, I have to keep myself from snapping at her, I just impatiently told her that the curriculum runs different from the way it runs in Nigeria.
My pastor asked me also. I wanted to tell him to shut up. I love my mum. I also love my pastor.I think that I'm being snappy because people have a way they expect me to feel. Maybe they expect me to be nervous or something, I don't know. Anyways, I'm excited. I've even picked out a name. If I get a female body, I've decided I'm going to call her Sally. I don't know have a name for a male body.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
oooookaaaay!!! bumight is excited she'd be tearing a dead body up. she even has a name for the body...
hmmm, seriously dear, have u had some fun lately?
My dear, enjoy ur first session..i remember mine vividly, majority of my colleagues fainted, and i really remember feeling like eating once i entered into the dissecting room...it smelt like meat. After dat day it just became part of our life, we stopped wondering what sort of lives d dead people left behind, we just got on with it.....
As for ur mum asking questions, get used to it oh..u'll think mine wud know d system by now, but she still asks me ridiculous questions, which i just ignore.....
If u have any questions about med-school feel free to email, i might not be able to help much cos d system in the uk i'm sure is different from that in the US.
wonderful how someone can be excited about this.. lollllll.. my calling is soo not doctology.. give us the gist when u get bacck but pls censor it WELL.. i dont do horror!! lol..
call a male body Abacha. If yur oyinbo classmates can't pronounce that one, call it Saddam
@Isi: I've been trying to have fun o,
@Orientated: Thanks babes, I'll take u up on that offer very soon
@Bimbylads: Trust, there shall be gist, I'll keep it sexy, ewwww
@Bighead: Keep it up, and I'll name the body after you!
My friend that went to med school swore that the cadavers was her favorite day. I got stories of the people that threw up and fainted.
Well, more power to you, my sista. Enjoy....
We named ours Alabama. She was in her late 70s, obese, died from an MI. She became very special to us as we went were no-one including her had gone before.
Human Anatomy strips us bare literally and figuratively. No where is the expression the whole is greater than the sum of its parts more true. I wish you well on this journey of discovery. I hope you discover more than you set out to.
@ Solomonsydelle; I was always famished after anatomy and couldn't wait to eat meat. Surgery also used to work up my appetite. Nothing like the sizzle of a cauter cutting through fat to work up the juices.
Hey, I also looked forward to dissecting but when the time came I got a scared shitless. Saw like 20 dead people at a time, my head just big (U know the feeling)
ANyway, its what they do to you in Medical school to take away the emotions sort of preping you up for surgery later.
Hey, I also looked forward to dissecting but when the time came I got scared shitless. Saw like 20 dead people at a time, my head just big (U know the feeling)
ANyway, its what they do to you in Medical school to take away the emotions sort of preping you up for surgery later.
Hey, I also looked forward to dissecting but when the time came I got scared shitless. Saw like 20 dead people at a time, my head just big (U know the feeling)
ANyway, its what they do to you in Medical school to take away the emotions sort of preping you up for surgery later.
@tyrex: I don't think its really about prepping you for surgery or anything. you just have to learn how the body works, there's no better way to learn than hands on.
we had more than 20 tanks in the lab but then it really wasn't that bad, by the time the day was over, I was going round to people's tank to see what they were doing :-)
Post a Comment