twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Jesus is Lord

This week seems like a good week on blogville, everyone's updating. I've been calling people from my school in naija of late, and for some reason I remember Daddy Esther. There was another name they used to call him, but I forget. When I got admission into college, my parent agreed that I would be staying with a 'cousin'. Let's call her Spice. Spice's mother and my father were cousins, so that made us ???
Neways, Our university was one of those non-residential ones, so we had to get accomodations ourselves. Spice was staying at this house which had a funny name.
The house was built sort of funny. The house was a one story building. the front part was supposed to be a three bedroom flat , with single rooms attached at the back. We had only one indigene family living in the house. They occupied two of the three bedrooms of the flat. Spice and myself occupied the third room.
You see, we were not operating the flat as a unit. The would-be living area was where we cooked and just some empty space. One of the rooms was the family room, the other room was the 'Living room' for the indigene family.
Mummy Esther was a petty trader, and Daddy Esther was a nurse- or so I was told. On that firs night, a woman client of daddy Esther just gave birth to a baby(can't remember the sex). All was cool in the house till one morning.

"so, bawo lo se n se yin" [so how are you feeling?]

"xxxx" (muffled answer)

"Igbawo le ti ri gbeyin" <when last did u see it>

"a to bi osu xxx" [It's been like xxx days]

'alright, to ba di xxx ke maa bo …" <alright, come back in xxx days>

And so the appointment was made. Conversations like that were quite frequent, and I didn't think any thing about it. Actually, there was a connecting door between our room and the living room of the Indigene family, so we could hear conversations . The door was made of flimsy wood, although it was permanently nailed shut.
The room right next to our room was the first of about 5 other single rooms in the building. That was daddy Esther's clinic. The very same room where that baby (whose sex I can't remember) was born. I noticed that all daddy Esther's patients were female. This was quite normal cos apparently daddy Esther was the local Ob&Gyn in the area.
To be fair to him Daddy Esther was quite 'prayerful'. On some saturdays, Daddy Esther would decide that he wanted to have a very prayerful quite time, and we would be forced to wake up, because his 'praise and worship' sessions were usually quite loud.

Then there was this Saturday. I was chilling in my neighbor's room. Their room also connected with Daddy Esther's clinic through one of such flimsy doors that were permanently nailed shut. Then the noises began:

"yeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

"dake o" "keep quiet"

"yeeeeee"

"oda ma wipe 'Jesu loluwa'" "Alright, start saying 'Jesus is Lord'"

"Jesu loluwa, Jesu loluwa, "Jeeeeeeeeeeeesu loluwaaaaaaaa" "Jesuuuuuuuuuuus is Looooooooooord"

The patient in question was the house girl of a well to do madam- Our best guess, since she looked scrawny and came in a chauffeur driven car with a woman who was obviously not her mother.

My friends said there have been nights when they have been woken by shouts of

"Eje Jesu, Ejeeeeeeeeee Jesu" "Blood of Jesus, Blooooooood of Jesuuuuuuuuuuus"

The Jesu loluwa duo- yes, DUO- were two friends who happened to have gotten preggers at about the same time.

On many such nights, my friends had to rap on the door to tell them to keep it down.

Little naïve 16 yr old me didn't stop to wonder why all of Daddy Esther's pregnant clients never came out with any child. Come to think of it, the only baby that made it out of daddy Esther's clinic was that one baby whose sex I can't remember.

The sad part of the whole thing was Daddy Esther's method. I heard- heard, being the keyword- don't quote me on this, that he had some herbal concoctions that he would give his clients to drink. Apparently, this was to make the baby descend, and then Nurse Daddy Esther would then insert some sterilized *insert choke here* instruments-maybe they were forceps, I don't know- into the patient's vajayjay and pull the something out.

I'm left to wonder how many uteruses he has redesigned in the process.

12 comments:

UnNaked Soul said...

first! yay!
in the end, daddy esther is a babalawo... LOL

Naapali said...

The torture and torment people go through in Naija is almost unimaginable from this side of the Atlantic.

Good luck with school!

36 INCHES OF BROWN LEGS said...

This just sounds gross!!! na wa for daddy esther o!!

bighead said...

Yuck is all I can say here. It was almost impossible to understand all that yoruba there but I generally got the gist. Was there actually ever an Esther or the name of foetus that was removed as well.

bumight said...

@unnaked: He's no babalawo o, he's just the local quack OB/GYN

@Naapali: I know shey

@36: gross doesn't even begin to cover it.

@ bighead: I tried to put the translation, but something happened. I'll try again...for the fourth time

Brilliantly Me said...

I think I just lost some of my lunch.

Admin UD said...

Despicably despicable...

bumight said...

@Ugo Daniels:lol, thanks for stopping by!

@Rayo:biggrin

Ms. Catwalq said...

I am glad I had not eaten before reading this, i would have had to throw up.
some things people do out of desperation and ignorance

shhhh said...

local quacks are worse than babalawos

bumight said...

@catwalq: right about the desperation and ignorance part

@the king: I agree.

Afrobabe said...

gosh that is so terrible..hope non of the women's wombs have been destroyed..imagine calling the lord's name..such impudence..

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com