twitter

twitter.com/bumight

Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Meeting Sally

So I finally met Sally, she was everything I imagined her to be. Skinny, I suspect she used to do yoga or was into healthy living at some point. He hair was shaven when I met her. I'm thankful for this, It makes the experience less personal. Like I let on earlier, I was anxious to meet Sally. It was more like a mix of anxious and nervous. I didn't know what my first words would be. I wasn't even sure how I would react to her presence.

The day before I was actually to meet her, I had a dream. In my dream, I was late for lab, and two of my friends were already there. They had gotten on with the work without me and I had to do my share even though it was late. In the dream I remembered being scared. I woke up and realized it was a dream. I dressed for school, wearing a combo of my least prized t-shirts. I didn't want anything ruining them.

As it turned out, that day was not going to be the big day. School was not exciting. We had a lecture on The Vertebral Column. That afternoon in lab, we spent the day looking at bones, inspecting them and all. Sally was there, but I didn't meet her(we actually did the lab over her), the time wasn't right.
The next day, I knew the time was right. We were supposed to be doing the back. I didn't plan this, but I came into the lab late. My labmates were already there, and with the help of the lab assistant, were trying to prop a block beneath Sally. I was just looking at them, I wasn't ready just yet.

They sha managed sha. Some of them were anxious, touching Sally and all that. After like a couple of mins, my teacher comes and after yarning some opat(he actually recited a poem when he made the first cut), makes the first incision.

This is where you need to disappear if you don't want to read this. Bimbylads, I promise I'll keep it sexy horror, lol!

So he makes one vertical incision down Sally's spine, and one from shoulder to shoulder, two more horizontal ones that divided the back into 6. He now shows us how to remove the skin.
keep in mind that this time, we were all acting normal. Some people were acting like they've been doing this all their lives.

We decided that we would each remove one flap of skin, since there was one to go round the 7 of us. Very soon it was my turn. Let me say that I'm a fast learner. If I watch someone do something once, I can make a very good imitation. That's how I learnt about computers, braiding hair... but I digress.

When It came to my turn, I took the scalpel and was just removing skin like "pshew! I do this all the time!", lol!. I commend myself for a job almost perfect. Infact, I commend my group, we were the bomb.

The cool part of the whole thing (I think only Naapali and ONB will understand) is that Sally was skinny! as in, she had almost zero fat. I was grateful for that cos I saw some of my friends that had fat ones, and all I can say was the sight wasn't pretty (still keeping it sexy!) at all. full stop.

So we had to separate the muscles of the back, all I could think of was Allahu wakbar (did I say that right? I'm not muslim), God is great. The silly part of me goes "It's just like it looks in the textbook!". On the real though, God is great. Everything had an order to it. We found most of the muscles we were supposed to find, now the big part was memorizing the names.

Another cool thing was that nobody in my class fainted or threw up. Maybe it was because we hadn't had lunch yet, but they saved us all the drama. Kudos c/o 2011!!! Although I suspect a lot of people were seriously fronting, you know, trying to be bigger boys and babes. One of my groupmates stylishly refused to dissect though, and another one went to move her car and wasn't back for almost an hour. I don't blame anybody, they both did in the end sha.

After a couple of hours, or better still when we got to the muscles, we were so engrossed in finding what we were looking for. I swear, it wasn't that bad. I won't try and act like I wasn't nervous or anxious about it, that's normal. I'm getting used to the smell of formaldehyde and I don't feel cold in the lab anymore, and it's just been about 48 hours.

I was first scared that I won't be able to eat meat again. Whosai! I came home and ate my shiken, the only thing though is now before I eat the meat, I start trying to identify the Latissimus dorsi and the rest(muscles). I'm having fun and that's the most important thing. I'll be doing this for months so you know my ass better be having fun cos its not ending any time soon.
Thanks Sally for being all that I imagined (and dreamt?) you would be! I'm looking forward to learning so much from you!!

16 comments:

anonymous gal(retired blogger) said...

yes first. lol at the lady who went to park 4 about an hour.congrats 4 perseverin and still eatin meat.

Carlang said...

You're silly.
I just might develop a crush on you at this rate.

lol.
Delighted with your encounter with Sally.
SO good to know that finally a meaningful relationship has begun.
One which you have longed for.
And she's skiny too...
My my.
We are lucky.

Hi Bumight.
It’s probably obvious that I don’t get to browse much. I mean …it’s not like I can’t. It’s just that I rarely have much time.
I’m aiming to fix that.
Lol.
Anyways…
It’s been a while since I dropped a comment on your page. And it’s not because I don’t read em. The nerve of me right. I come here. Read your lovely posts and I don’t have the decency to drop a comment. That’s against the blogville code of conduct.
Yeah. I’m a terrible blog friend.
More like a blog fiend.

So..

Lets see.. I read the blog about your call to your ex.. it’s okay if you have feelings for him. I don’t think that makes you a cheat. It just makes you human.
Howz the current boyfriend by the way?

Okay.
There.
I’ve paid my dues to the coolest doctor I know on blogville.
I must admit…
It’s been fun!!

BiMbyLaDs** said...

sally.. thats it, i refuse to go near any sallys as from today henceforth!! lol. u went home and ate shiken? lollllllllllll....


i no fit.

bumight said...

@anon gal: lol! I seriously suspected that she stylishly ran away. don't blame her tho, it was the first day

@carlang: maybe u should know that my head swells veeeery easily (what's the physics term for that?, lol!)
and yeah, u've been a blog fiend...plus u need to update more often for the people like me who FAITHFULLY leave comments, lol!

@bimbylads: LAWL!!!, bt I tried to keep it sexy horror rotfl! I specifically tried to leave out too much details because of you, awww

Naapali said...

Bumight; congratulations on passing your first initiation. I dey very very proud. Interesting you guys started on the back. Back in our day (now I am sounding like an old papa)we started with the upper extremities. On the bus home I would imagine what people's deltoids, supraspinatus, subscapularis would look like dissected. Doing the lower extremities I would imagine what the tensor fascia lata would taste like. My first sight of lungs was thinking "Fuku re!". "This is fuku (lung)" for the non-Yoruba inclined. Fun days!

I am also glad you are enjoying yourself. Medschool is stressful and you should get all the fun you can. Take care sista!

36 INCHES OF BROWN LEGS said...

u went home and ate shiken???? after cutting up sallys skin???? u r cold babes cold!!!!

rethots said...

...the journey to make incisions on the living starts with the Sallys. Congrats, ride on doc.

bumight said...

@Napaali:lol! I think different schols start from different sites. my friend in another school didn't start from the back too.
wondering what people's tensor fascia lata tastes like? now that's gangsta!

@36: yes o, best believe I ate my shikin. tasted good too!

@RETHOTS:thanks!

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

you ate shikin? lawl!!!!!!!!

Jayn Sean said...

Had started reading, but i gotta jump. Thanx for passing by my page. Will be right back!

Writefreak said...

I had to pass....i hate horror! And reminded me of my aversion of horror movies...lol

bumight said...

@jaybabe: are you back yet *wink*

@writefreak: are you sure you don't want to try again? even bimbylads finished,lol!

bighead said...

Do you think Sally had a boyfriend? Maybe we could get love tips from her.

Ms. Catwalq said...

eze okwu...

why Sally? Why not Miranda?

bumight said...

@bighead: sally was old before she passed. the bodies don't actually come with biographies u know?

@catwalq: good question. Sally was the first name that came to mind.

Lady said...

shit!!!!!!!!!! SHIT!!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE PART I AM SOOOOOOOO NOT LOOKING FOWARD TO!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHH 2 MORE YEARS....2 MORE YEARS.....TILL THE FIRST ENCOUNTER WITH SALLY.........OH GOD PLEASE HELPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!! I PRAY I DONT PUKE!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Sample text

Sample Text

bumight@gmail.com